Is this a slap in the Americas face?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i agree with that. what a sad way to 'get back at us'.

and baseball and softball are really really really popular in asia. Pretty sad

burnuphard

Awards
I'm not usually one for patriotism...but maybe this is the sort of thing that will inspire American athletes to perform even greater on international stages.

...this is assuming the top athletes in the world need any more inspiration to compete at the level they do. Which, I'm not sure they do.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
but lets keep curling.... And under-water basket-weaving, and syncronized swimming?? those sports fucking blow and will hurt the television ratings...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
We're still gonna kick everyone's ass in the medal count so to hell with Rogge. I gues this means football will never be accepted while curling and fly catching keep their Olympic status.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Keep kicking the **** out of them. Even though the Olympics are extremely boring for me to watch (I don't want to watch people run or swim or do gymnastics), I still root for the US to mop up, which they typically do.

Take our pastime away from the Olympics you hippie bitches, we'll just whoop you up in all of YOUR sports then.

Is table tennis in the Olympics? I swear if it is and baseball isn't.....

We're still gonna kick everyone's ass in the medal count so to hell with Rogge. I gues this means football will never be accepted while curling and fly catching keep their Olympic status.

burnuphard

Awards
I mean, I'm as patriotic as the average guy...just not the sort who usually exhibits it on message boards or that sort of thing. Never the 1st guy to flaunt it...maybe the 10th or 11th.

lifter2005

lifter2005

Awards
I guess the only good thing about this poor decision is it only affects the 2012 Olympics.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Baseball... America's pastime. At least we'll have the World Baseball Classic next March.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
A buddy of mine was complaining because Sheffield said he didn't want to play because he didn't want to get hurt. My buddy said, "where's the loyalty to the US." The guy is going to be 38 or 39 and your body doesn't heal like it should. An injury could cost him millions.

Then the guy goes on to support Alex Rodriguez playing for the Dominican Republic. Hey, guess what, AROD was BORN AND RAISED in the US. He's an American --- where's HIS pride? I guess since I was born and raised in the US and am german/polish, if I played in the Olympics or this baseball tournament I'd represent germany or poland huh?

Sigh... anyway...

lifter2005

lifter2005

Awards
Baseball... America's pastime. At least we'll have the World Baseball Classic next March.
True. But even Im not too sure how good of an idea that it is. Why does it have to be America vs. the World? Were already not the most loved country in the world. Now we have to give the haters something else for them to cheer about. If Mark Texiera is the best American homerun hitter than we have major problems.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
A buddy of mine was complaining because Sheffield said he didn't want to play because he didn't want to get hurt. My buddy said, "where's the loyalty to the US." The guy is going to be 38 or 39 and your body doesn't heal like it should. An injury could cost him millions.

Then the guy goes on to support Alex Rodriguez playing for the Dominican Republic. Hey, guess what, AROD was BORN AND RAISED in the US. He's an American --- where's HIS pride? I guess since I was born and raised in the US and am german/polish, if I played in the Olympics or this baseball tournament I'd represent germany or poland huh?

Sigh... anyway...
Yeah, I've read both of those reports (Sheff, and A-Rod) and I could see where Sheff was coming from, but still... as for A-Rod that is odd. Wasn't he born in Brooklyn?

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
EXACTLY!

Yeah, I've read both of those reports (Sheff, and A-Rod) and I could see where Sheff was coming from, but still... as for A-Rod that is odd. Wasn't he born in Brooklyn?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Man, this World Baseball Classic is only going to be 18 days long. Despite what all the critics say I think it will be a good tune up for the regular season. Listen, alot of these guys play in winter leagues anyways as well as pre season which is longer than 18 days. Suck it up and represent your countries for christs sake. Have you no pride in your respective countries. Think about the men and women overseas who spend countless months fighting for their country. The least these guys could do is takes 2 and a half weeks out of their busy schedules and represent. Give me a break.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
True that but the older guys don't play in the those league's. They work out, get operations, rest their bodies, etc. I'm all for the young guys goin out and doing it, but guys like Bonds, Sheff, Palmeiro, Clemens, R. Johnson, etc, don't need to be doing it. They have a hard enough time staying healthy during the regular season. I can respect their decision to stay home. I'm sure there are lots of guys hungry to represent the US.. lots of younger guys.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
True that but the older guys don't play in the those league's. They work out, get operations, rest their bodies, etc. I'm all for the young guys goin out and doing it, but guys like Bonds, Sheff, Palmeiro, Clemens, R. Johnson, etc, don't need to be doing it. They have a hard enough time staying healthy during the regular season. I can respect their decision to stay home. I'm sure there are lots of guys hungry to represent the US.. lots of younger guys.
I can understand that, but If I were a younger baseball player I would jump at the chance to represent my country in one of the finest sports in the world. I'm not expecting these old guys to get out there and play. I'd rather have the future of baseball out there anyways. Guys like Texiera, Hafner, Willis, Barmes, and so on and so on.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Agreed.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
I can understand that, but If I were a younger baseball player I would jump at the chance to represent my country in one of the finest sports in the world. I'm not expecting these old guys to get out there and play. I'd rather have the future of baseball out there anyways. Guys like Texiera, Hafner, Willis, Barmes, and so on and so on.
PUJOLS!

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Me too. If I'm younger, I'm out there in a heartbeat. If I'm 38, 39, no way. These guys have too much to lose.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
I'm sticking with Americans here. I'm sure Pujols will represent the Dominican Republic. I'll be damned if I root for anyone else.
I was leaning more towards seeing the future of baseball on the field and not who I would be rooting for. And yes Pujols will be playing for DR, in which case I will not be rooting for him.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha. In that case we gotta add Tejada, Andruw Jones, Carlos Lee and Guerrerro to the list as well. These guys are still under 30 years old and damn good.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Gotcha. In that case we gotta add Tejada, Andruw Jones, Carlos Lee and Guerrerro to the list as well. These guys are still under 30 years old and damn good.
Oh fo' sho'. There are a lot of em' out there (another Cardinal, Yadiar Molina... what am arm). I had a buddy just get drafted by the Pirates and he's only 23... good pitcher, but I may be a little bias :thumbsup: . Oh and watch out for Ryan Howard of the Phillies... that boy good. Played at my alma mater, SMS.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Its hardly an attempt for 'them' to get back at 'us'.
Baseball is not popular in all of Asia. It only has mainstream popularity in Japan.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

Sigh... anyway...
Man that sucks about A-Rod, I could see if maybe he was raised in the Dominican Republic but he wasn't. What a bunch of crap, you'd think the guy would have a little bit of patriotism towards the country that allows gave him the opportunity to make $25 million a year to play a game :rant:

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
whatever **** a-rod, scottie Rolen is a better 3B anyway.... Then jeter can also play for us at ss...... Hopefully Barry will be healed and play, man that would be great.... The avatar was only to piss off boston fans after we got a-rod, eventhough that is totally irrelevent now since you guys **** on us last october.... A-rod just doesnt want to look like an uncle tom to his countrymen so he is doing this as some kind of right of passage.....