New York Football Giants

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i orginally posted this in the draft thread but decided to make it its own thread

i just wanted to comment that i was very happy with what the Giants did with their draft

they really needed a corner for 2 reasons 1) they needed a nickel because as of the draft they don't have a decent option 2) will allen will be gone after next year because he's not worth what he's going to want .. so i love getting corey webster

i like the DE justin tuck .. he's really athletic and seems to have a great attitude and the gmen had NO depth at DE

i LOVE brandon jacobs the RB from southern illinois .. he's 6'4 267 and they need a huge back to run short yardage and goal line .. tiki has shown he can do it, but they're only other RB is mike cloud who is small too .. jacobs was at auburn but its hard to get any time when you're behind brown and cadallic and went to a 1-AA school to avoid sitting out a season

they had a great offseason i thought getting burress (who it seems has matured as a lot as a person coming into the league) so eli has a real deep threat and eli has shown he can definitely throw a great long ball

they got a very solid RT in mackenzie even if they over paid which means they can move diehl back to guard where he played much better than he did at tackle and if petitgout can stay healthy they should have a pretty solid OL

i really like the acquisition of Pierce at MLB .. he had a very good season for the skins last year and i think will continue to get better as he's 27 .. plus anyone is an improvement over greisen

Jabriel Wilson will hopefully be healthy all year and he showed last year he will be a GREAT SS and shaun williams will move to FS (which under tim lewis in the giants D is very similar to SS) ... i'm looking for to a fun giants season this year .. not expecting miracles but i think a .500 season is definitely doable :)

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the Giants have a bright future in Manning, Shockey, and Burress. The OL was terrible last year, and if it can improve I think Manning will be able to show his stuff.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i definitely agree and Tiki IMO is one of the best backs in the NFL and he has at least 2 more productive years in him

OL wise petitgout (LT) got hurt and missed some games last year as did o'hara (C) .. if they can stay healthy and with diehl moving back to guard from tackle (where he played MUCH better two years ago) and mackenzie as the new RT i really think the giants can be a competitive team

unfortunately they have to play the eagles twice and the AFC west
oakland - going to score 67 points a game with Moss, Porter, Curry and Collins throwing the deep ball .. so much worry about them passing - Lamont Jordan will average 6 yards a carry .. D sucks though so the g-men have to score 68 points lol

KC - same thing as oakland only they have improved their D this year

San Diego - awesome team in my mind .. definitely improved themselves by getting Merriman and Castillo in the draft

Denver - solid team as well although i don't really like them

anyway its a tough schedule for the giants .. hopefully things work out well though :)

oh i forgot to add! the giants signed a blocking TE (luzer i think his name is) so now shockey won't have to stay in a block NEARLY as much as he did last year and they can split him out more where is really is a threat

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Your team is gonna be offensively this year with a slew of good receivers for Eli and Tiki toting the ball. Just get some run stuffers before you challenge Philly for the NFC East crown.

Don't worry about Oakland, they'll find a way to self destruct and blame it on the NFL for being biased against them or the refs. I'm just not sold on Kerry Collins yet, he was way too incosistent last year

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hahaha .. poor oakland

well collins was definitely very inconsistent last year .. however with the addition of moss that will make porter and curry EVEN better as teams will have to focus on moss .. and i think jordan will flourish as teams will think to defend against the pass first

i know collins very well as a giants fan and i can honestly tell you there are not many in the league AT ALL who can throw the deep ball like him .. if the line can give him time i really think he'll have a great year .. i could honestly see 3500 yards, 30-35 tds, but probably 20 ints

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
hahaha .. poor oakland

well collins was definitely very inconsistent last year .. however with the addition of moss that will make porter and curry EVEN better as teams will have to focus on moss .. and i think jordan will flourish as teams will think to defend against the pass first

i know collins very well as a giants fan and i can honestly tell you there are not many in the league AT ALL who can throw the deep ball like him .. if the line can give him time i really think he'll have a great year .. i could honestly see 3500 yards, 30-35 tds, but probably 20 ints

The deep ball is the only reason Al Davis brought him over as well as Moss. Their line is decent, but with all those speed demons they have I'm sure they'll be able to keep the FB and TE in for pass protection. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders finish in last place because they have a very competitive division and I couldn't stand Raider fans if they even made the play-offs. They get on my nerves :twisted:

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey Glen, whats the deal with Lance Legree? Is he any good at all? I'd never heard of him til the Jets signed him.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hahaha i take it you're a jets fan? ... have fun with lance legree .. 2 years ago when he got a lot of burn it was not uncommon to hear me say several times throughout the game "lance legree needs to be taken out to the shed and shot .. several times in the knee ... the head would be too quick and painless"

you're a yankees fan (so am i) so this is a good analogy .. legree is to the DL as felix heredia is to the bullpen ...

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
That blows. And they didn't overpay for McKenzie by the way. It might seem like its too much now but remember he's only 25 so he's just gonna get better. Nobody on that line ever gets any publicity besides Mawae but I've been watching him since he came into the league and he's gonna be great. He's a great run blocker ,does not give up sacks and it was either last year or the year before he only had 1 holding penalty all year. I honestly wish they would have let John Abraham go and used that money to re-sign him.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
the only reason i say they overpaid MacKenzie is because he's a right tackle making left tackle money .. but even with that i'm very happy and i think they SHOULD have paid him that much because they needed him

i tell ya, if i'm the jets there's no way i franchise Abraham .. he's amazing .. for the 10 games he plays a year, just not worth it for someone that has no heart .. what good are 17 sacks when he won't play the last 4-6 games of the season or in the playoffs .. which seems to be abraham's MO

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
i tell ya, if i'm the jets there's no way i franchise Abraham .. he's amazing .. for the 10 games he plays a year, just not worth it for someone that has no heart .. what good are 17 sacks when he won't play the last 4-6 games of the season or in the playoffs .. which seems to be abraham's MO
He's been like that since his rookie year but last year the whole country got to see what kind of guy he is. Here you have Pennington with a torn up shoulder doing everything he could to lead the team through the playoffs and this clown won't even suit up because he MIGHT get hurt. After getting raped in free agency the past few years, they had to tag him or risk losing him and having nothing to show for it. It sucks to have him but after coming that close last year, you kinda have to try to keep that unit intact and make another run at it. I say let him play his 10 or 11 games this year than kick his ass to the curb.

Qwerty

Board Supporter
Awards
KC - same thing as oakland only they have improved their D this year
KC arguably had the best offseason in the NFL. There is no doubt their offense is one of the best in the league, if not the best, and will continue to be this coming year. Even with their back up RB in the last couple games, Larry Johnson, they still were one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

In the last three years, their defense has ranked something like 29,19,27. All they did last year was replace the D coordinator.

This year they revamped the defense, turning their weakest spot, their dbacks, into possibly their strongest spot on defense. They signed Patrick Surtain and Sammy Knight, two HUGE moves at DB, as well as Kendrell Bell, a HUGE move for a slow and inconsistant LB corp. Derrick Johnson was also drafted at LB, and could defintely be a starter once the season gets under way. These two are going to be great for Scott Fujita, who is undervalued due to the lack of support around him last year, but has a ton of talent. While the D-line was definitely their strongest point on D last year, they also added Carlos Hall at DE to give it even more depth. Ryan Simms has also been improving, and while he hasn't lived up to intial hype, its common knowledge that D tackles often take a while to develop. I think we will see him emerge as an all-star in the next few years.

My only knock is their three BIG pickups aren't young. This really isn't a big issue as I see it though, as this is a team being put together to go all the way in the next year or two. Overall, I think KC is undoubtedly going to be a team to watch this year.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Glen you and I seem to be more and more alike everytime a thread comes up (specially the phobias thread haha).

I LOVE THE NYG!!!

But did you hear that the new corner just got hurt!!! Webster I believe is who it was!

I must say though the Giants excelled in free agency. Picking up Pierce from Washington is a double positive since they take a GREAT linebacker away from a same division team. Burress is obviously an outstanding wide receiver and we got a great lineman from the Jets.

The main reason our team was so bad last year is we had 50+ people on injured reserve! That is unheard of! We should be a lot better this year just from people coming back from injuries. We also just acquired Tim Hasselbeck off waivers, not the greatest, but a solid guy to give the defense some practice im sure.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
high powered offense= no Super Bowl Wins

Lock Down Defense= Super Bowl Dynasties

its all about fantasy football,,,,we should start a league in here...set up through pay pal and everyone determine an entry fee along with rules....it'd be sick.....my first pick...Eli Manning lol jk......(Ladinian Tomlinson)