Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Who would you say is the best player available in this draft ? Who are the safe picks ? Who can have the quickest impact ?
sleepers or bargain picks ? Feel free to add whatever else you want.

* Best player in this draft IMO is Braylon Edwards. He's very polished, makes plays for his team when they need him. He is increduble at fighting for the ball in the air with corners draped on him. Excellent route runner. He gets many TD's in the red zone and had like 97 catches and 1350 yds in a sometiumes conservative Michigan system. Antrel Rolle, Derrick Johnson and Mike Williams are up there with him IMO.

* Quickest impact IMO is Cedric Benson because he'll likely end up in Chicago where they'll feed him the ball 25 times a game. Has shown he can be productive but may just need to work on his pass blocking and receiving skills. Ronnie Brown is a close second. It's also easier for a RB to have the quickest impact on a team because of the importance of this position and they normally don't take 2-3 years to develop like a QB.

* I think Ryan Moats is gonna be a bargain pick, he's 5-9 205 but the guy is pretty damm good, can be another Curtis Martin given the right opportunity, maybe Denver will take him LOL. I don't know why Pollack and Erasmus James has fallen so low on many people's board, but these guys are playmakers

size

Awards
  • Established
Matt Jones and Mike Williams are the best 2 in my opinion. Out of the top RB's I like Brown the best. I am a big fan of Ryan Moats. Check out some of the old college threads where i talked about him. He is going to be a good player; it is unfortunate that so few people seem to know about him. Another RB that is not getting any talk is Sproles from K.State. I think he could be a good little back.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm just worried that the 49ers will end up getting a busted QB in either Smith or Rodgers.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The thing about Sproles is his size, the GM's just aren't gonna draft anyone his size until the 4th round best case scenario. And Moats is a shock to me, Mel Kiper doesn't even acknowledge the guy, but he is incredible at finding gaps and cutting back against defenses when I got to see him.

I also forgot about Adrian McPherson, does anyone think he's worth a risk in the 2nd round ?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Matt Jones and Mike Williams are the best 2 in my opinion. Out of the top RB's I like Brown the best. I am a big fan of Ryan Moats. Check out some of the old college threads where i talked about him. He is going to be a good player; it is unfortunate that so few people seem to know about him. Another RB that is not getting any talk is Sproles from K.State. I think he could be a good little back.

Matt Jones. His numbers are just sick. And I read that he only dropped on pass in the Senior Bowl. If he works hard he'll be a beast in the NFL. I also like Williams from USC, good combine numbers but he's a gamer.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'm just worried that the 49ers will end up getting a busted QB in either Smith or Rodgers.
Yes unfortunately that ass-clown is likely gonna go with Alex Smith. I'd go with Edwards or Williams. Maybe even trade down and get Shawn Merriman, he'd be awesome in their new 3-4 scheme along with Andre Carter, Julian Peterson and Bryant Young playing nose tackle.

Could even trade down a little and go with Antrel Rolle. The way Arizona, Seattle and St.Louis are built we need 3 solid CB's and I don't like Rumph at CB, but he'd be a good Free Safety

I think they can wait 'til the second round and still get a decent QB like Jason Campbell

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
The thing about Sproles is his size, the GM's just aren't gonna draft anyone his size until the 4th round best case scenario. And Moats is a shock to me, Mel Kiper doesn't even acknowledge the guy, but he is incredible at finding gaps and cutting back against defenses when I got to see him.
I agree with you on all of this. Sproles is just too small, but he can run and I think will help a team. About Moats, I just can't understand why no one seems interested in this guy. He is a wonderful player but I guess since he went to LaTech he gets no respect. I honestly think he is better than Benson.

I think they can wait 'til the second round and still get a decent QB like Jason Campbell
I am not sold on Campbell at all. First, the guy does not seem to smart, he scored, I think, a 14 and a 28 on the Wonderlic test. One could beat a 14 with random guessing. Also, every team that Auburn played was more concerned with the combo of Brown and Williams out of the back field. I think those 2 made Campbell look much better than he is.
Here is a sample Wonderlic test. It is incredibly easy so it should give you an idea as to how bad a 14 is. http://www.pressanykey.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pak/wonderlic.cgi

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
Matt Jones. His numbers are just sick. And I read that he only dropped on pass in the Senior Bowl. If he works hard he'll be a beast in the NFL. I also like Williams from USC, good combine numbers but he's a gamer.
Jones is simply unbelievable. His 40 time is the same as Vick yet he is 6'6". Any team that lands him is getting a great player. I am just excited to see him play. If you ever get a chance to see some old Arkansas games with him, then watch them. he would stand in the pocket and if no one was open he would take off and literally out run linebackers and corners.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Jones is simply unbelievable. His 40 time is the same as Vick yet he is 6'6". Any team that lands him is getting a great player. I am just excited to see him play. If you ever get a chance to see some old Arkansas games with him, then watch them. he would stand in the pocket and if no one was open he would take off and literally out run linebackers and corners.
If I had my way I would make the Redskins draft him with their 25Th pick, if he is still there. On the mock draft boards they have that Auburn QB and I was like WTF do we need another QB for? My dream is for the 'skins get Rolle with nine pick and Jones with 25. Ahhh that would be wonderful.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if i was the 9ers i'd take Edwards and there is a VERY good change Campbell will be around for their 1st pick in the second round .. i think he's gonna be a better pro than either Smith or Rodgers

if the 9ers take Edwards .. and Miami takes Brown .. then TB takes Smith .. you hope the Titans take Pacman or Rolle .. GB takes Rodgers and BAM Campbell around for the 9ers .. of course if Rodgers goes before GB then they'd probably take Campbell .. but then Frye is available and MAC qbs have proven they are very legit .. if he blows then they'll suck .. have the 1st pick next year and take Leinart

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jones is a bad ass.

I think Derrick Johnson is a great player, although there are concerns of his tackling ability.
Out of the running backs, Cedrick Benson will provide the best instant feedback since he was such a workhorse at UT.

I like Edwards for the receivers the guy just catches everything thrown at him.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Jones is a bad ass.

I think Derrick Johnson is a great player, although there are concerns of his tackling ability.
Out of the running backs, Cedrick Benson will provide the best instant feedback since he was such a workhorse at UT.

I like Edwards for the receivers the guy just catches everything thrown at him.

I hear Benson got mental probelms like that last great Texas back, I forgot his name...Williams, I think?

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No he's not like Ricky Williams, he will perform well in the NFL.

Ricky was a great back, and could have been something special, different strokes I suppose.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I am not sold on Campbell at all. First, the guy does not seem to smart, he scored, I think, a 14 and a 28 on the Wonderlic test. One could beat a 14 with random guessing. Also, every team that Auburn played was more concerned with the combo of Brown and Williams out of the back field. I think those 2 made Campbell look much better than he is.
Here is a sample Wonderlic test. It is incredibly easy so it should give you an idea as to how bad a 14 is. http://www.pressanykey.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pak/wonderlic.cgi
Yeah but it's not like the rest of the QB's available at that point will be much better, I'm assuming Rodgers, Smith, Jones, and maybe even Campbell won't be around for the 33rd pick. Could always go with Moats (33rd pick) to push that sensitive bastard Kevan Barlow, he shouldn't be running like a pussy if he's 240 with speed. He quit when he realized the team was gonna suck, major character flaw in my book.

As far as the wonderlic, I think that's just useless, it tests nothing related to football. Many busts have happened because of the wonderlic test.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Tackling ability is not that hard to correct as long as he's willing to listen to his coaches. He'll be okay by the start of the season w/plenty of practice. If tackling ability is the only concern than his playmaking ability is definitely worth a 1st round pick. He's also INCREDIBLE at causing fumbles, something which not many players do anymore.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tackling ability is not that hard to correct as long as he's willing to listen to his coaches. He'll be okay by the start of the season w/plenty of practice. If tackling ability is the only concern than his playmaking ability is definitely worth a 1st round pick. He's also INCREDIBLE at causing fumbles, something which not many players do anymore.
Oh I agree with you, the critics are wrong imo. I am a diehard Texas fan so. . .

But yeah his ability to strip the football at will it seems is truly amazing. He's also a side line to side line type of player, which is an attribute of all the good linebackers.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Seems like the 'Niners are going with Smith and not the local boy. I just hope the 'skins pick up a DB and a Reciver. Rolle and Jones or Willliams and somebody else.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Rolle is the best CB, hands down. Don't understand the talk of Pac-Man Jones.

Another one of ours will be a late round steal. Frank Gore - RB. This kid was phenomenal his freshman year in '01. Averaged over 9 yards per carry. The 2 knee injuries will take a few years to completely recover from. But, I think he's a 1000 yd back in the NFL. Someone will get a steal in the 3rd or 4th IMO.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Rolle is the best CB, hands down. Don't understand the talk of Pac-Man Jones.

Another one of ours will be a late round steal. Frank Gore - RB. This kid was phenomenal his freshman year in '01. Averaged over 9 yards per carry. The 2 knee injuries will take a few years to completely recover from. But, I think he's a 1000 yd back in the NFL. Someone will get a steal in the 3rd or 4th IMO.

I was watching sports center and they were saying how ex-canes players go back to Miami to train. The players said it was harder to train at Miami then at there pro camps What do you think?

size

Awards
  • Established
Another RB i like is Shelton out of Louisville. I really enjoyed watching him play. I think Gore is really good but I would not take someone who has already had to severe knee injuries.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
LC - I've read Bruce Feldman's book I'd believe it. Ain't no one got the weather we've got in S. FLA. Most teams don't like it though, just because they aren't with their own teams. But the players certainly believe that training back at The U makes them better.

I've seen pictures that look like a Pro-Bowl roster in the off-season. Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, etc. Hell, I can't even keep track of 'em all. You'd be hard pressed to find the talent that congergate at The U every summer. That includes players from the NFL that didn't even play there. Chris Carter used to come down.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
the dolphins will be freakin stupid if they dont pick up benson today, the coach is more focused on **** that you can pick up later in the draft, but since he trader his first round pick my dream of another awsome RB on the team is fading fast.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Man, I'm so happy my Niners got Frank Gore in the top of the 3rd. Couldn't have happened to a better man.

Do it big Frank!

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'am not a Detroit fan by any means, but i think there pick of Mike Williams, healthy Roy Williams, Hopefully for once healthy Charles Rodgers and now the emerging sleep running back thats gonna put it down hard next season Kevin Jones this team could be sick. From a fantasy football perspective i love it. All 3 of those Wide Recievers were top 10 picks in the last 3 NFL drafts. Charles Rodgers was the #2 pick two years ago, Roy Williams i think was the # 7 pick last year and Now Mike Williams #10. This offense is gonna sick.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
but i think there pick of Mike Williams
Never speak that name again. :frustrate This guy is going to tear up the NFL, and 'Skins could have taken him.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Here is a sample Wonderlic test. It is incredibly easy so it should give you an idea as to how bad a 14 is. http://www.pressanykey.com/cgi-bin/...k/wonderlic.cgi
And then the Skins take this guy WTF! Argggggg. Man we can never get a break :sad:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
And then the Skins take this guy WTF! Argggggg. Man we can never get a break :sad:
oh that's right you are from the metro area too (me too).
The Skins honestly have no direction whatsoever.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Man, I'm so happy my Niners got Frank Gore in the top of the 3rd. Couldn't have happened to a better man.

Do it big Frank!
I predict that they will be better than last year. :lol: Smith will be our savior in San Fran! Go Niners!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Good to see another Niners fan on here.

Nice Av.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
too bad the Niners need a Running Back and some WR's. They are gonna blow chunks and get a top 3 pick next season as well

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
too bad the Niners need a Running Back and some WR's. They are gonna blow chunks and get a top 3 pick next season as well
I heard they're talking to Boston as a possible wideout. If he stays healthy and doesn't use steroids that would be a plus for the team. We'll see what happens.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I really think Tim Couch is/was better than Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers combined. I guess the 49ers had to select one of them.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hey, we've still got Kevan Barlow you moron. But we do need WR's.

I still remember when we were the Team of the '80's.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Don't all of us Niner fans remember the glory days when guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Craig, Taylor, Clark, Jones, Mcdonald, Hanks, Norton, and the list goes on, ruled supreme. Who do we have now? Not much in the way of anything. We'll be back some day though.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
What about Clarett going to the broncos? I think he will do well there, hope he does.....

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
What about Clarett going to the broncos? I think he will do well there, hope he does.....
He should do ok there if he ever sees the field. They have like 5 or 6 backs now. I just don't understand why they would burn a 3rd round pick on him especially a few weeks after getting Ron Dayne.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
He should do ok there if he ever sees the field. They have like 5 or 6 backs now. I just don't understand why they would burn a 3rd round pick on him especially a few weeks after getting Ron Dayne.
I wouldn't consider Dayne an every down player. More of a short yardage/3rd down/goaline type back.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Don't all of us Niner fans remember the glory days when guys like Montana, Young, Rice, Craig, Taylor, Clark, Jones, Mcdonald, Hanks, Norton, and the list goes on, ruled supreme. Who do we have now? Not much in the way of anything. We'll be back some day though.

Wanna trade Alex Smith for Joey Harrington? He'll have Roy Williams, Chrles Rodgers (maybe) and now Mike Williams to throw to, with Kevin Jones in the backfield. Deal? The Lions, pitiful.

Anyway, you did get a good OG/C in David Baas, he's a roadgrader; Smith will get some protection there.

The best player in the draft would be OSU K Mike Nugent, he'll score more points for more money and experience less pain than anyone else taken, kid's a freakin' machine.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
I wouldn't consider Dayne an every down player. More of a short yardage/3rd down/goaline type back.
But Denver still had Quentin Griffin, Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson , they get Ron Dayne THEN burn a 3 on Clarrett. I just don't get it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hey, we've still got Kevan Barlow you moron. But we do need WR's.

Ahh the 80's, how I wish they could have cloned Lott, Montana, Craig, Haley, Rice, Taylor, Clark etc.

As far as Barlow goes, I think he needs to step up now more than ever. I like the Frank Gore because it's gonna give us 2 results. 1) Barlow will smell someone breathing down his neck and he'll go back to his old form OR 2) Frank Gore is gonna punk and we're still gonna have a solid back.

BTW, I had to make fun of my Raider fan friends cause freakin Al DAvis can't stop drafting dudes who can run but not play in the 1st round.

Baas will fill a needed huge need at guard but we need someone who can be dependable at WR, maybe they have more faith in Rashaun Woods and are expecting something from him, or even Derrick Hamilton.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
But Denver still had Quentin Griffin, Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson , they get Ron Dayne THEN burn a 3 on Clarrett. I just don't get it.
I don't know man. What can I say, they like RB's.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
As far as Barlow goes, I think he needs to step up now more than ever. I like the Frank Gore because it's gonna give us 2 results. 1) Barlow will smell someone breathing down his neck and he'll go back to his old form OR 2) Frank Gore is gonna punk and we're still gonna have a solid back.
Having had two major knee surguries, Frank Gore is somewhat of a liability if you ask me. Hopefully Barlow picks up his game and plays like a man making the money he's making.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Nate - come on! Frank had 1K for The U on those 2 bad knees.

It's not like he was playing in D-III. I mean, 1K in the ACC ain't so easy. Give him a full 2 years from the 2nd injury. That's about how long it takes for an RB to recover, look at Edgerrin James.

This kid can still play. IMO, if he loses weight, gets back to the 190's he can be a good back in the NFL. Unless they feel he'll be better as a heavier back (currently 215).

I really like Frank. He's a hellva kid, great teammate. I think he'll push Barlow solely because he's such a hard worker.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Nate - come on! Frank had 1K for The U on those 2 bad knees.

It's not like he was playing in D-III. I mean, 1K in the ACC ain't so easy. Give him a full 2 years from the 2nd injury. That's about how long it takes for an RB to recover, look at Edgerrin James.

This kid can still play. IMO, if he loses weight, gets back to the 190's he can be a good back in the NFL. Unless they feel he'll be better as a heavier back (currently 215).

I really like Frank. He's a hellva kid, great teammate. I think he'll push Barlow solely because he's such a hard worker.
I hope you're right. You would know more about this dude than I would.

az2u

Awards
Goooooo 9ers!!

I think the biggest additions the 49ers made were Jonas Jennings,Mike Nolan,and Mike Singletary.I noticed the
Lions released Az-Zahir Hakim.Should the 49ers try to sign him or wait for June 10(?) for free agency to kick in.
Jennings is going to be a big help for the running game.I was happy w/the draft,but one can never know how the
players will pan out.

Before I moved to AZ in '91,I used to go watch the 49ers play all the time.My family has been season ticket
holders since '81.We get our tickets through a friend of the family.This guy has 14 season tickets and has only missed
one 49er game since the team played at old Kezar Stadium.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Gators/Dolphins fan here!

I had a friendly bet with a UM fan that Ciatrick Fason of my Gators would go higher than Gore. Boy did I lose that.

With the additions of Kevin Carter and Channing Crowder I officially consider myself a Dolphin fan. I really like what Saban has done so far down here. The front 7 of the defense should be solid as hell, not sure about our DB/safteys with the loss of Surtain.

Ronnie Brown is a beast, but he will take a beating if the OL doesn't step up or improve through free agency.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm sure all UM fans saw that Berlin signed with the Dolphins as well.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Having had two major knee surguries, Frank Gore is somewhat of a liability if you ask me. Hopefully Barlow picks up his game and plays like a man making the money he's making.
Hey we've had RB's with major injuries who done great, just remember Garrison Hearst ;)

BTW, Shaun Cody looked kind of tempting since they are switching to a 3-4 and he would have solid in one of those end spots.

They just need to find a solid WR, maybe Boston can work out if he stops trying to be a bodybuilder. I mean this is an opportunity for the guy to play for a storied franchise in desperate need for a WR. He could be the go-to guy if he plays his ass off and concentrates on torturing DB's like he used to for the Cardinals.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Kevin Barlow blows chunks like no other. He was solid when they had T.O cuz he streched the field. Now all you have to do against the Niners is stack 8 in the box and Blitz the **** out of them. Boston hes washed up, he'll never repeat his one amazing season at Arizona. The Niners only have one reliable person who can catch the ball and thats Eric Johnson the Tight End. Personally I think the Niners should have done whatever they could have and Traded there pick the Chargers and tried to get Philip Rivers, He's way better then any QB in this draft. I Ron Mexico's Wideout they drafted doesnt lay an egg this year like Michael Jenkins and Peerless Pricless aka Webster in a Football jersey.