For all of you miami and gator fans.. watch out cromartie sees you :)

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

Looks like Tennessee just lost Brent Schaeffer for good.....too bad.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers
    Looks like Tennessee just lost Brent Schaeffer for good.....too bad.
    Yeah, but I think that everyone saw that coming. He's a good QB, no doubt. Unfortunately, he just happened to land at TN at the same time as Ainge. I suspect that he was not going to be the starter this fall. It will be interesting to see where he winds up.

On a different note, how is Frank Gore's draft stock? I think that the team that takes a chance on him will benefit in the end.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I've heard Gore is at best a 3rd, but more likely a 4th or 5th. We'll see. I do agree. I think he had the chance to be THE best RB at The U ever after his 9.1 ypc freshman year. It just didn't work out with the knee injuries. Last year it looked like he lost much of his burst. He's a different runner now. He'll just need time to adjust to a more bruising type of game. He definately could be a 1000 yd RB in the NFL.

But, God, was he spectacular in '01!
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    I've heard Gore is at best a 3rd, but more likely a 4th or 5th. We'll see. I do agree. I think he had the chance to be THE best RB at The U ever after his 9.1 ypc freshman year. It just didn't work out with the knee injuries. Last year it looked like he lost much of his burst. He's a different runner now. He'll just need time to adjust to a more bruising type of game. He definately could be a 1000 yd RB in the NFL.

But, God, was he spectacular in '01!
    NO ONE is the "same" the first year back from knee surgery. Sure, there are exceptions, but that seems to be the case generally. I would not be surprised if Gore improves substantially once he begins working with NFL trainers. Also, I don't think that injuries are the draft day death sentence that they once were. Medicine and rehab have improved greatly. I hope he does really well. I'm also going to keep my eye on Portis up in Buffalo (it is Portis up there right?). Travis Henry had a 1500 yard year for those jerks and they reward him by drafting a tailback. I hope that Henry lands on his feet somewhere.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing that guy Youngblood (true freshman) from Texas. He's supposed to be a monster.

To Brock Landers: Bro, looking back over this thread, I just saw your comments re: me being an ass. Miami had a a great run, but "changed the landscape of college football..."? I'm sure that Alabama, Braska and Notre Dame fans would like to discuss that point with you.

"We probably have a quarter the fan base of UT...but thats probably because its difficult for one-tooth rednecks to pronounce "Hurricane" anyways.

The Vols have a big fanbase. I really don't know why folks in Miami don't support their team. The other two Florida schools don't have that problem. Also, just for the record, I have all my own teeth and 3 college degrees, so I think I can pronounce "Hurricane." (That is, unless I'm busy having sex with my cousin, out in the barn, with a dip of skoal in, next to the General Lee, etc. etc. ad infinitum - just throw in whatever stereotypes you feel are appropriate).

Based on your posts, it would seem that there are some rednecks in Florida as well.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Willis McGahee. They drafted him thinking he'd be better than Henry. Looks to have turned out correct. He's a physical freak. He'll be one of the best backs in the AFC.

Miami's fan base is more spread out than any other team. I remember in S. FLA there were almost as many Gator and Nole fans. Most of us moved off (those that graduated ended up in larger northern cities it seems). I met quite a few Canes that went to UT while I was there. Part of the problem about support in Miami is that so many people want to move to S. FLA. They come already rooting for another team, for the most part.

Seriously, if you don't think Miami changed the face of college football, you are crazy. No game did more for opening up the passing game than Miami's (led by a freshman QB - Bernie Kosar) upset of #1 Nebraska in the '83 OB for the national title.

And we had a 10 year run (83-93) likely not to be reproduced in the age of scholarship limitations (although SC could if they keep it up).

He was speaking of "How Miami Changed The Face of College Football" by Bruce Feldman of ESPN.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

What happened to Brent Schaffer? Transferred?
  7. Registered User

Had a great run? We were 1 game away from a fifth, yes fifth, consecutive BCS game this last year. Thats with a subpar QB and losing 21 guys to the first round of the NFL draft over the past few years. Saying that our "run" is over is an ignorant comment, hence the ass remark.

As far as changed the face of college football....I didnt make that up...Just stated the facts....see for yourself..

Amazon.com: Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment: Bruce Feldman: Books

Read it and you'll understand what I say something like that.

Moving to tha ACC is definitely a challenge....but so was returning from our near death penalty back in the mid 90's to win yet another NC. I think we're up for that.

Bottom line....I dont think you should make comments on our program since what you have said dosent hold much water.

"Based on your posts, it would seem that there are some rednecks in Florida as well. " - come on Captain Fantastic, you can do better than that.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Seriously, if you don't think Miami changed the face of college football, you are crazy. No game did more for opening up the passing game than Miami's (led by a freshman QB - Bernie Kosar) upset of #1 Nebraska in the '83 OB for the national title
    That was an unbelievable game, can't help but watch it every time it comes out on ESPN classics, and I can't believe Nebraska would make such a call on the 2 point conversion
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

There is a Neb. grad that I worked with on a project for a few weeks. He says that every Neb. fan respects and wanted Osbourne to go for 2. They loved him for that. Took balls.

But ole Schnelly had one helluva game plan. Going in, we didn't have a chance.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

There is a Neb. grad that I worked with on a project for a few weeks. He says that every Neb. fan respects and wanted Osbourne to go for 2. They loved him for that. Took balls.

But ole Schnelly had one helluva game plan. Going in, we didn't have a chance.
    My bad, I meant they play they called, not going for 2. I'd go fake dive (weak side) to the FB and option toss with the RB to the strong side.
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers
    Had a great run? We were 1 game away from a fifth, yes fifth, consecutive BCS game this last year. Thats with a subpar QB and losing 21 guys to the first round of the NFL draft over the past few years. Saying that our "run" is over is an ignorant comment, hence the ass remark.

As far as changed the face of college football....I didnt make that up...Just stated the facts....see for yourself..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Read it and you'll understand what I say something like that.

Moving to tha ACC is definitely a challenge....but so was returning from our near death penalty back in the mid 90's to win yet another NC. I think we're up for that.

Bottom line....I dont think you should make comments on our program since what you have said dosent hold much water.

"Based on your posts, it would seem that there are some rednecks in Florida as well. " - come on Captain Fantastic, you can do better than that.
    Bro, are we still on this? I love the Vols first and foremost, but have a tremendous amount of respect for other teams and conferences. If you wanna be a Miami homer and believe that YOUR team is greatest of all time, go right ahead. I would love to lock you and a Bama fan in a room and let you two argue for all eternity. As far as "changing the face of college football," I can't believe you're going to rely on Feldman...(well, he said it, so it must be true).

Bottom line....I dont think you should make comments on our program since what you have said dosent hold much water. Really? Gosh, what was I thinking - giving my opinion and all. It's college football - opinion are like *******s and all. Lee Corso couldn't find his ass with both hands, so if HE gets to have an opinion, so do I. Again, I understand that you love your program, but dude there's no need to be such a homer...

Moving to tha ACC is definitely a challenge....but so was returning from our near death penalty back in the mid 90's to win yet another NC. I think we're up for that. Know what else is hard? Getting a kid to come to KNOXVILLE to play football...or Michigan, OSU, K-State, Nebraska, etc. It must be sooooo tough recruiting kids to Miami.

I guess you're right bro.... It's all about this ewe.
  12. Registered User

"I guess you're right bro.... It's all about this ewe." -Man you are killin me, Dennis Leary cant hold a candle to you, "Bro"

and "Homer"? are we playin baseball?, swinging bats? or what?

Im done with this.....you can I can argue till we're blue, We both love our programs and thats great. Good luck with your season....Im looking forward to seeing the Fullmer & Spurrier battles again.

BTW......I couldnt have summed up that assclown Lee Corso any better. When he and Herbstreit go back and forth it is almost as painful as watching a car crash in slow motion.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Yes, we changed the face of college football. Revolutionized the passing game.

Did we invent the forward pass? No, that would be Rockne and I forget the QB. But we did bring it to the rest of the country. We did bring attitude to the game. Both have managed to stay around.

Bama - come on now. What have they done since Bryant 1970? They beat us in '93. So what.

It's a much different game with scholarship restrictions and more big time teams playing each other. I have more respect for USC's current run than their run in the freaking 40's and 50's when they could stockpile players that would now go elsewhere.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. For all of those who think real men don't use machines
    By calidood in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM
  2. Whats the perfect volume for all of upper body for YOU?
    By pjorstad in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
  3. the stupid mess it up for all of us
    By spatch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
  4. Sorry For All OF This!
    By Vman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 11:52 AM
  5. For all of you SMOKERS out there ......
    By Dr of Golf in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 07:02 PM