Jose Canseco tells on George Bush, McGwire, Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, etc.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985653

Canseco: Bush had to know about steroids

After months of talking about naming names in a tell-all book, retired slugger Jose Canseco is about to do just that.

The New York Daily News published details of the former slugger's book, which is still in the editing stages, in Sunday's editions.

Canseco writes that he personally injected Mark McGwire with steroids and that he saw McGwire and Jason Giambi inject each other, according to the paper.

The long-awaited "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," is scheduled for release by Regan Books on Feb. 21. Regan publicist Paul Olsewski told The Associated Press in an e-mail that the release date could be moved up.

Parent company HarperCollins posted a book description on its Web site that said Canseco "made himself a guinea pig of the performance-enhancing drugs" and added the 1988 AL MVP "mixed, matched and experimented to such a degree that he became known throughout the league as 'The Chemist.'"

McGwire, who has long denied steroid use, said in a statement to the Daily News: "I have always told the truth and I am saddened that I continue to face this line of questioning. With regard to this book, I am reserving comment until I have the chance to review its contents myself."

Canseco claims he introduced the performance enhancers to Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez when he joined the Rangers in 1992.

Rodriguez and Gonzalez said that they had not seen book and declined comment. Attempts to contact Palmeiro's agent have been unsuccessful.

"Neither our current owner, general manager and manager were with the Rangers then," Texas spokesman Gregg Elkin said. "The Rangers continue to support baseball's initiative to get steroids out of the game."

Canseco also writes that President Bush "had to have been aware" of rampant steroid use on the Texas Rangers when he owned the club in the early 1990s, the Daily News reported.

The White House had no comment on Canseco's specific allegation, but did say the President called on leagues and players unions to eradicate steroid use in his 2004 State of the Union address.

Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, took issue with Canseco's credibility.

"This book, which attacks baseball and many of its players, was written to make a quick buck by a guy desperate for attention, who has appeared on more police blotters then lineup cards in recent years, has no runs, no hits and is all errors," Tellem told the Daily News.

A few years ago, Canseco claimed that 80 percent of major leaguers had taken steroids. Last spring, he said: "I think the numbers may have changed. Who knows? Maybe the numbers have diminished."

Canseco hit 462 home runs in a major league career from 1985-2001.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
so most of that stuff isn't big news to us...

I just don't get why the guys like Canseco, Ken Caminiti, and Victor Conte become the biggest bitches and sell their friends (and everyone else) out.

It may not directly affect us, but your kidding yourself if you don't think the government eats this **** up. This is fuel to the fire in their neverending crusade to punish 'steroid users' - the real drug users in America.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Canseco is a piece of ****. Whatever happened in "Vegas" should have stayed in "Vegas". Snitches always get their's.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
so most of that stuff isn't big news to us...

I just don't get why the guys like Canseco, Ken Caminiti, and Victor Conte become the biggest bitches and sell their friends (and everyone else) out.

It may not directly affect us, but your kidding yourself if you don't think the government eats this **** up. This is fuel to the fire in their neverending crusade to punish 'steroid users' - the real drug users in America.
Canseco is just trying to get publicity and make money off of this and that's what he's done. Is anyone really surprised?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
it's pretty low, he could have made money and not ratted people (many of them his former close friends) out.

what a douche bag.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
it's pretty low, he could have made money and not ratted people (many of them his former close friends) out.

what a douche bag.
Of course he is. Did you have any doubts?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
meh i don't know. I thought their might have been a general understanding among users in sports. Don't ask, and certainly don't tell. And if you're a NARC, the people you rat on you destroy your crediblity (or kill you).

Well that's out the window nonetheless.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
What a douche bag, he is clearly trying to make $$$ I can't believe I idolized him when I was 8. A while back Jim Rome even talked about how he would charge people to visit him while he was in house arrest and had a hotline where he would chat with fans for a fee. This man had a lot of talent and he wasted it, now he's acting like MLB did something to him.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he's a rat.

It would not be suprising at all that Bush would have known about steroid use back then..but really what is an owner to do about it? Why bother cleaning up your team when it will put them at a disadvantage to all the juicy juice teams out there?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
exactly... no one would want to play for the Texas Rangers if the owner started getting into their personal lives.

M

Meerschaum

Awards
what money grubbing back stabbing piece of ****, oh well.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
The only good that may come out of this that people may not remember this as the Barry Bonds Steroid years.It's not just Bonds, noone can truly estimate how many people have juiced. Remember in the 90's that people started thinking that the ball was "juiced!" HA HA it wasn't the ball. I think everyone should stop whining that the game's tainted, that we need astericks next to records. Let the golden days be the golden days and recent years be what they are, more recent years. To me, it's Sport, it's entertainment.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I think Canseco suffered long term brain damage during the game where the baseball bounced off his head and over the wall for a homerun.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You know what's funny, is that some people actually believe that steroids make you a better player or that they give a talentless player talent. Let's get real here, there is no drug for hand/eye coordination or the ability to throw a 100mph fastball or the arm to throw a runner out at home from centerfield and I could go on and on. How can someone honestly say that Barry Bonds isn't one of the greatest baseball players of all time. And now because of guys like Canseco people who don't know any better will be questioning Bonds' records and accomplishments forever. Well I say bullshit.

L

lvtrojan

Awards
You know what's funny, is that some people actually believe that steroids make you a better player or that they give a talentless player talent. Let's get real here, there is no drug for hand/eye coordination or the ability to throw a 100mph fastball or the arm to throw a runner out at home from centerfield and I could go on and on. How can someone honestly say that Barry Bonds isn't one of the greatest baseball players of all time. And now because of guys like Canseco people who don't know any better will be questioning Bonds' records and accomplishments forever. Well I say bullshit.
You are right, steroids dont turn someone who cant play into someone who can. BUT, wouldnt you say that they CAN make a good player great? or a great player, greater? If your fast ball went from say 90 to 95-100? Or if balls that shouldnt make it out of park, all of a sudden have that extra few feet. Bottom line is their (bonds, mcguire, etc.) stats went up after being on.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You are right, steroids dont turn someone who cant play into someone who can. BUT, wouldnt you say that they CAN make a good player great? or a great player, greater? If your fast ball went from say 90 to 95-100? Or if balls that shouldnt make it out of park, all of a sudden have that extra few feet. Bottom line is their (bonds, mcguire, etc.) stats went up after being on.
Here are Bonds' Career Stats. As you can see, unless he's been on steroids (which hasn't even been proven BTW) since the early 90's he's always had great numbers. I just don't see the corilation. And steroids would be of no use to a pitcher, unless the guy wants to look good when he pitches. If anything it would hinder him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/3918/

L

lvtrojan

Awards
And steroids would be of no use to a pitcher, unless the guy wants to look good when he pitches. If anything it would hinder him.
Not true.

Steroids can do more than make you look good.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Not true.

Steroids can do more than make you look good.
I just don't see why a pitcher would have any use for steroids my man. Let's say a pitcher does decide to use steroids. If anything he would use them for throwing power, because obviously he's not doing it for hitting or to give himself a better curveball. He's puts on a few pounds, gets stronger in the gym and somehow manages to increase his pitching speed by a few mph. Now his body isn't used to the increased weight and the increase in speed on his fastball. If you ask me his chances have increased for a shoulder injury and the fact that he could possibly get caught using. Pretty stupid and not worth it in my opinion.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
John Rocker, Kyle Farnsworth definitly juice (mass building steroids) - but they aren't very good...
they can (could) throw pretty hard

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Now maybe guys like McGwire would benefit from using steroids. He's know for his power and his home runs. Is he known for his fielding? No. Is he known for his hitting ability? Hell no! Steroids could give him extra power to hit a few more home runs, but realistically he's ALWAYS been a homerun hitter. Hell, the guy still holds the record with 32 home runs with USC back in 84.

Y

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Steroids would help a pitcher throw harder and help his recovery. A guy thats usually gassed in the 5th is now throwing 95 mph in the 7th or 8th. It would especially help an older hardthrowing pitcher (CLEMENS ..oops..did i say that out loud?) pitch a ton of hard innings with less wear on his body.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i believe it (roger that).

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Steroids would help a pitcher throw harder and help his recovery. A guy thats usually gassed in the 5th is now throwing 95 mph in the 7th or 8th. It would especially help an older hardthrowing pitcher (CLEMENS ..oops..did i say that out loud?) pitch a ton of hard innings with less wear on his body.
Therefore increasing injury. I can maybe see GH helping an aging player like Clemens or Bonds.

Y

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
If you remember clemens last few years with the yanks he was dogged by injuries . His last year there his hammy bothered him all year. Now that i think about it, wasn't it a hammy injury that McGuire couldn't shake that eventually led him to retire?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
If you remember clemens last few years with the yanks he was dogged by injuries . His last year there his hammy bothered him all year. Now that i think about it, wasn't it a hammy injury that McGuire couldn't shake that eventually led him to retire?
Yeah he was injured quite often in his final years.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
For Bond's numbers to prove roid use, h's been on them since maybe 90'? He would look like Jay Cutler if he's been juicing for 15 years! Some enhancement (GH and a lil test, THG recently), probably, but still one of the best ever- NO DOUBT...For a pitcher to really bulk up on juice, it would effect the way they pitch due to physical changes in body proportions and they would have to learn to pitch with a different technique. I see no reason for a pitcher to blow up, increase strength-yes-tren? Regardless, baseball has juiced. I really don't care.

To me, it's Sport, it's entertainment.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
For Bond's numbers to prove roid use, h's been on them since maybe 90'? He would look like Jay Cutler if he's been juicing for 15 years! Some enhancement (GH and a lil test, THG recently), probably, but still one of the best ever- NO DOUBT...For a pitcher to really bulk up on juice, it would effect the way they pitch due to physical changes in body proportions and they would have to learn to pitch with a different technique. I see no reason for a pitcher to blow up, increase strength-yes-tren? Regardless, baseball has juiced. I really don't care.
I agree with juicing in baseball. I mean look at the way they tested the athletes. No offseason testing, most of the athletes knew when they were going to be tested and the penalties were laughable. Why wouldn't you do it if it was going to give you an edge with hardly any consequence. I love baseball and this really hasn't effected the way I look at the game. I think the strike in 95' was worse for the game of baseball than this is. I just don't understand why it took MLB so long to catch up to everyone else on it's steroid policies.

Y

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
If it wasn't for the balco scandal and the gov't threatening to get involved baseball still wouldn't care about 'roids in the game. The "Juice derby" (Sosa vs McGuire) and the surge in power numbers were the only thing that saved the game after the strike year. If it wasn't for roids and the homerun race bringing the fans back, Baseball could have been in the same boat as the NHL. Of course baseball didnt care, 'roids saved the game. I for one, don't care. My team has 2 admitted juicers on it (Shef and Giambi), one ex member that I believe has to be on something (Clemens) and I'll still be watching every game this year. I'll still drive 2 hours to have beer thrown at me just to see them play ( in Cleveland). It makes for a good story but I bet this will be MLB's best season ever. In the end, MLB doesn't care, a lot of players don't care and i don't think the fans will care.

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
60 minutes sunday!

For those intrested, Canseco will be spilling the beans on 60min sunday. I think it will be quite entertaining.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If it wasn't for the balco scandal and the gov't threatening to get involved baseball still wouldn't care about 'roids in the game. The "Juice derby" (Sosa vs McGuire) and the surge in power numbers were the only thing that saved the game after the strike year. If it wasn't for roids and the homerun race bringing the fans back, Baseball could have been in the same boat as the NHL. Of course baseball didnt care, 'roids saved the game. I for one, don't care. My team has 2 admitted juicers on it (Shef and Giambi), one ex member that I believe has to be on something (Clemens) and I'll still be watching every game this year. I'll still drive 2 hours to have beer thrown at me just to see them play ( in Cleveland). It makes for a good story but I bet this will be MLB's best season ever. In the end, MLB doesn't care, a lot of players don't care and i don't think the fans will care.
How about this a Red Sox fan and Yankee fan agree..

How can we condem anyone using anything to enhance athletic ability.This is what this board is about, whether it's legal or not.I choose not to use AAS/pro-hormone because of 2 reasons my health and it's temporary,but I would never say it's wrong for anyone else.We pay good money to see ball players hit home runs and make great plays.How many ball players use athletic enhancing substances 40%-60% who really knows so alot of players may take it just to be even with all the rest.I know this if someone told me take this and you could earn millions I kinda think I would take it and say to hell with the risks..

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
How about this a Red Sox fan and Yankee fan agree..

How can we condem anyone using anything to enhance athletic ability.This is what this board is about, whether it's legal or not.I choose not to use AAS/pro-hormone because of 2 reasons my health and it's temporary,but I would never say it's wrong for anyone else.We pay good money to see ball players hit home runs and make great plays.How many ball players use athletic enhancing substances 40%-60% who really knows so alot of players may take it just to be even with all the rest.I know this if someone told me take this and you could earn millions I kinda think I would take it and say to hell with the risks..
Especially if I knew the chances of getting caught were next to nil and the consequence of getting caught was nothing more than a slap on the wrist. People would be a LOT less likely to use if the testing and punishment was similar to that in the Olympics. First time, 2 year ban, second time, your done for life. Not only that, but testing is done year around with no notice whatsoever. I think in baseball, even with the new rules in place, it'll take a player getting caught 4 times to get to a one year suspension. Actually here's an excerpt I found regarding the new and old consequences of steroid use.

"A first positive test would result in a penalty of 10 days, a second positive test in a 30-day ban, a third positive in a 60-day penalty, and a fourth positive test in a one-year ban, all without pay. A player who tests positive a fifth time would be subject to discipline determined by the commissioner.
Under the previous agreement, a first positive test resulted only in treatment, and a second positive test was subject to a 15-day suspension. Only with a fifth positive test would a a player subject to a one-year ban."

Found this too. Good reason for players to use GH.

"Human growth hormone was added to a widened list of banned substances, but it will be found only when science determines a way to detect it in urine samples. Currently, it can be found only in blood tests, which will not be conducted in baseball."

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IF Baseball and other sports were TRULY serious about ridding it of the drugs they would have a 100% zero tolerance policy.

get caught? You're gone for good. Lifetime ban.

Think many would use then? I suspect no.

They don't want to rid sportsof drugs because of the effect the performance of the players IS having on the game - more exciting in some instances. Plus, no media is bad media.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Senator Macain pushed for something like this. I agree with you. Also, money is a deciding factor in all of this as well. But when is it never not about money.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the NFL have the best drug policy going. They had to in order to rid the stigma and perception people had of the players. You know.. Nate Newton who weighs 320, benches 800 and can run a 40 in 4.8 seconds? lol

I actually wish sports in general would adpot a zero tolerance policy on a lot of things players do. Hockey, for instance, high stick a player? Gone for the season. Hit a player form behind? Gone from the season. Cause serious injury with either of those two actions? Gone for life.

Things like that would seriously sports of the crap and get it back to how the games should be played.

Just my opinion though.

As for the drugs. I have two opinions. Let them use so that it's an EVEN playing field or don't let them use but make sure you have the toughest punishment procedures around to enforce this or it'll be a joke... just like it is.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what time does 60 minutes come on sunday?

i never watch tv

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Roids can not only benefit a pitcher, but they can make a DH into a pitcher, don't forget that Jose pitched for the Rangers when they were getting blown out and didn't want to use their other arms :icon_lol:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I gave in a bought the book.
I did so because it was on sale, and its not an autobiography about Canseco, its strickly about anabolics.
It's interesting, and maybe i've bought into the propaganda - but he's not a 'bad guy'.
He's done lots of nice things for disabled children.
He's actually a pretty insecure guy who is shy.

interperet as you will