Head Games

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Watched this documentary today and concussions/CTE could very well cripple any sport with high levels of contact and professional wrestling. The section with Keith Primeau (his retirement was really sad to me) and hockey really hits me as it is my favorite team sport. While I have mixed feelings regarding the lawsuit currently against the NFL, there is no denying the effects on the brain from repetitive head trauma. I see the speech problems of retired and older MMA guys (e.g. Chuck Liddell, Gary Goodridge) and how much longer it will be before combat sports come under the same heat. One of the factors that did play into my decision to stop fighting was the fact I wanted to pursue higher academics and exposing myself to continued head trauma would have been counterproductive, but I do wonder what damage I may have done to myself already. Has anyone else watched this yet? It's available on Netflix now.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adding it to my Netflix que

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have not. I'll have to que it up when I get back from deployment.

On notes to head traumas though. In combat trauma medicine I've dealt with them quite a bit. It's actually quite scary how even a seemingly minor blow to the head can end up having profound effects on a person. Even days, weeks, months later. It's like playing hot potato with a time bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

wmp05c

Awards
I haven't seen that. It will be interesting how it impacts major sports as well as whether it will make sports such as UFC decline more dramatically.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't seen that. It will be interesting how it impacts major sports as well as whether it will make sports such as UFC decline more dramatically.
It'll impact boxing before it hits MMA. There's generally more head trauma from boxing than MMA due to the larger prevalence of competition and more overall blows taken to the head.

av6258

av6258

Awards
I think football takes the most heat because it's the most popular sport in the US. It's also not a defined "combat" sport such as MMA or boxing. It's obvious that continuous blows to the head are going to take place in those sports; nothing can be done about it. Football, things got to change a little. These guys are getting bigger and faster at the same time. There were no 240+ pound D ends that could run a 4.5 40 in the 1970s.