• Start date
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As the ESPN 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson premieres tonight (12/8) at 9pm EST. who do you guys think is/ was the best athlete? It's a bit hard to say bc there are some old timers we didn't get to see (other than maybe AMZ (grey bush) or BigT :lol: ) but always enjoy debating this bc it's hard to pin point.

Here's my top 5, no particular order
Jim Thorpe
Jackie Robinson
Dave Winfield
Michael Jordan
Bo Jackson
*deion sanders gets an honorable mention

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anybody else watch that documentary and think to yourself that he could have been a world class bodybuilder, too? Hard to say definitively with muscle belly shape and extreme conditioning requirement, but the man was lean and had pecs, delts, and wheels FOR DAYS.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anybody else watch that documentary and think to yourself that he could have been a world class bodybuilder, too? Hard to say definitively with muscle belly shape and extreme conditioning requirement, but the man was lean and had pecs, delts, and wheels FOR DAYS.
I watched it and thought "he could have been a world class _________" put whatever the hell you want in there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeahhh, this is true.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aleksandr Karelin

Went 13 years without losing in international competition and 6 years without even surrendering a point. Amassed 3 gold medals at 3 Olympiad during this stretch.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aleksandr Karelin

Went 13 years without losing in international competition and 6 years without even surrendering a point. Amassed 3 gold medals at 3 Olympiad during this stretch.
Bro, before I even read your post and saw your name as last posted, I kneeeew this is who you were gonna say.

Not the exact name, but the Russian Wrestler who didn't lose or give up points, ever!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Gotta throw in Muhammad Ali and Jerry Rice in the mix. Adrian Peterson might end up on the list when it's said and done. Also, just imagine how much better Bo would've been at football or baseball if he dedicated himself to just one sport? I remember the Raiders were so deflated after his injury that they lost to the Bills 51-3 in the AFC Championship game the following week. Marcus Allen was no Bo Jackson.

wmp05c

Awards
Deion only player to play in both Super Bowl and World Series, that has to count for something. Was he the last two sport athlete (professional)?

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
Kobe Bryant

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotta throw in Muhammad Ali and Jerry Rice in the mix. Adrian Peterson might end up on the list when it's said and done. Also, just imagine how much better Bo would've been at football or baseball if he dedicated himself to just one sport? I remember the Raiders were so deflated after his injury that they lost to the Bills 51-3 in the AFC Championship game the following week. Marcus Allen was no Bo Jackson.
I think you put AP on the top 10 list for sure. Last year he has major knee surgery and not only did he start the season but he almost broke the single season rushing record! My vote for best athlete ever though has to be GSP or Jon Jones. I know that's two but its a toss up for me.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
u dont think lebron isnt a straight up G athlete? he could play bball, football, track and probably more we dont know about.

av6258

av6258

Awards
u dont think lebron isnt a straight up G athlete? he could play bball, football, track and probably more we dont know about.
This. Best at your sport and best athlete are 2 different things. That wrestler someone said is just that...the best wrestler. Lebron is not only the best bballer but could own in so many other sports. Guy is a freak

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The amount of disrespect that wrestling has been getting lately is ridiculous. Anyone that has gone through even just HS level knows how competitive it is and the rigors of constantly having to make weight and still train.

In no other sport has an athlete displayed the kind of dominance that Karelin showed especially in a sport as competitive as wrestling where it's impressive to just make it multiple Olympiad let alone win the gold multiple times.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The amount of disrespect that wrestling has been getting lately is ridiculous. Anyone that has gone through even just HS level knows how competitive it is and the rigors of constantly having to make weight and still train.

In no other sport has an athlete displayed the kind of dominance that Karelin showed especially in a sport as competitive as wrestling where it's impressive to just make it multiple Olympiad let alone win the gold multiple times.
Hear hear. Don't even get me started on it being bounced from the Olympics in 2020. I put Dan Gable up there with Karelin.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

very true, but i guess it all depends on what your definition of athlete is. does pure skill come into this discussion or is it the amount u have to train for said sport? just bc somebody is a god at wrestling and trains his butt off doesnt mean he can be dominant at other things.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bo Jackson. Guy was legit at two professional sports. Strong and fast

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
very true, but i guess it all depends on what your definition of athlete is. does pure skill come into this discussion or is it the amount u have to train for said sport? just bc somebody is a god at wrestling and trains his butt off doesnt mean he can be dominant at other things.
You're not too familiar with the level of skill required in Greco-Roman, are you? There aren't many sports that require the level of skill, grit, and discipline as wrestling.

theniteman

theniteman

Awards
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

They're disrespected bc 75% of wrestlers can't dribble a basketball and chew gum at the same time or throw a baseball without looking like a 4yr old girl.

As someone who did wrestle I realize all their hardwork and skill to their craft but from an overall athletic standpoint, not a very "athletic" sport. IMO.

I realize that's not all, hence why I said roughly 75%. My step brother was a state champ wrestler but we never asked him to play pick up basketball bc he was brutal. He quit baseball his freshman year bc he was cut from the team and just have up. Kid was a phenomenal wrestler (state champ & D1 scholarship), not good at much else in the sports arena.

That's why I started this thread, good debates

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;aMmAsqtGRmk]http://youtu.be/aMmAsqtGRmk [/video]

av6258

av6258

Awards

I have the utmost respect for wrestling and the sport. But we are talking about the best athlete. Not the "best at your sport". Thats why guys like lebron, Michael vick, Antonio Gates, ect should be on the list. Tiger Woods is the best golfer. But not the best athlete.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have the utmost respect for wrestling and the sport. But we are talking about the best athlete. Not the "best at your sport". Thats why guys like lebron, Michael vick, Antonio Gates, ect should be on the list. Tiger Woods is the best golfer. But not the best athlete.
If LeBron played one-on-one and didn't lose for 13 consecutive years, or Michael Vick stayed out of jail for 13 consecutive years, then there would be no reason for discussion. But when he routinely throw s130+kg guys overhead that know what they're doing, he deserves some consideration.

av6258

av6258

Awards
If LeBron played one-on-one and didn't lose for 13 consecutive years, or Michael Vick stayed out of jail for 13 consecutive years, then there would be no reason for discussion. But when he routinely throw s130+kg guys overhead that know what they're doing, he deserves some consideration.
I agree with that for best in the sport. But lebrons skill transcends all sports. Take Mark Ingram even. Heisman Trophy winning running back, but also a scratch golfer. Colin Kaeprnick is a superbowl-level quarterback, and also throws a 96 mph fastball at an MLB level.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're not too familiar with the level of skill required in Greco-Roman, are you? There aren't many sports that require the level of skill, grit, and discipline as wrestling.
actually i am.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Bo Jackson. Tecmo Bowl. Enough said about his athletic prowess haha

In all seriousness, he could have done just about anything he wanted. Dominant in 2 professional sports, could have been the most intimidating Olympic sprinter. Had the build to be a wrestler, have a feeling if he was younger that he could kick ass in MMA if he put his mind to it. I'm left handed and when I was a kid I would pretend I was Bo Jackson. I still remember him running across the wall after he made a catch.

Smeagel

Banned
Awards
Anthony "the man" Mundine. Rugby League star to boxing world champ

Smeagel

Banned
Awards
Mariusz Pudzianowski

Worlds Strongest Man several years, built like a bodybuilder. And mixed martial arts

Matt83

Awards
Only thing mundine is good at is fighting has Beene and running his mouth, glad he got his butt kicked last fight, greatest douche in history

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
yeah really hard to twist a throttle and flip when u practice it 1000x in a foam pit...
That dude is amazing at anything wit wheels. Hes not your traditional athlete as far as actual athleticism but the things he cud do are amazing. I only thought of him because i saw him on espn for the daytona 500. How many people could interchange sports the way he does from bmx to motorcross to nascar?

Smeagel

Banned
Awards
Only thing mundine is good at is fighting has Beene and running his mouth, glad he got his butt kicked last fight, greatest douche in history
I was joking. Mundine is a joke i agree with everything u said. He is the best at running his mouth

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Underrated: Dave Winfield. Played college football and baseball. Could have been a monster in football. Maybe just you older fellas know about him.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Underrated: Dave Winfield. Played college football and baseball. Could have been a monster in football. Maybe just you older fellas know about him.
Good one

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you all are wrong. 100% wrong and who im about to say isnt even debatable.

Leon Sandcastle

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Michael Phelps has to get consideration