Is hockey dead ? - AnabolicMinds.com

View Poll Results: Is hockey going to survive the strike ?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • yes, kiss it good bye

45 51.72%
  • no, fans will always come back

42 48.28%

Is hockey dead ?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Is hockey dead ?

I'm begining to wonder if this strike could be a lethal blow for the NHL. Do you guys see the league becoming extinct ?

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    I'm begining to wonder if this strike could be a lethal blow for the NHL. Do you guys see the league becoming extinct ?
    I voted no. But that is based on the idea that they will get it straight in time to have a regular camp and season next year. If this drags on into effecting next year's season, then I would change my answer.
  3. Board Supporter

I have a buddy who works for the Fan590 (Sports radio station) who interviewed Goodenow two years ago in the summer. After the interview was over, he asked him, off the record, "so how long do you think the lockout will last?".

Goodenow said he was telling his players to expect to be out 18 months.

Goodenow is an ass. Players are screwing up hockey and in a big, big way.
    •   

4. New Member

better not be, the only hats I have are hockey team logos and ****, I look like a fool
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

What's hockey?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Players are screwing up hockey and in a big, big way.
    You know what I don't understand is why the players are bitching about salaries in the NHL but many are playing for much less cash in Europe, WTF is up with that ? They can't be satisfied with multi-million dollar deals ? I also hate it when they use the "I gotta feed my kids" rhetoric. They say it as if they are average Joe's making 40K a year LOL. These guys have jobs many of us would do for much le$$ than they do. Hockey is the only pro sport we have in San Jose (Unless you count soccer and lacrosse LOL) and I'd be dam pissed to see it disappear just as I was starting to follow and support the Sharks
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.

Well when you really think about it, hockey has been dying for years. The sport just isn't the TV draw that the NFL is. So they can't get good contracts to promote the sport. This lockout will definitely not help their situation at all. Just look at how the strike affected baseball immediately after. It took the McGuire/Sosa homerun chase to bring people back. And I don't think there's a record in hockey that can bring in the occasional fan like that did. Don't get me wrong, I love hockey, love watching it. But if they don't play any games this season and it extends into next, they may think about retreating to Canada.
  8. Board Supporter

This is not meant of a flame to people in the US but the biggest complaint I hear from Americans about hockey is "they can't follow it".

Apparently they have a hard time following a black puck on a white sheet of ice.

Do I think it's that simple? No. Frankly, I blame the broadcasting in the US because they don't know how to follow the game on camera. In Canada, our broadcasters KNOW how to shoot a game. If you ever watch Hockey Night in Canada vs. say Fox or ABC broadcasting? It's like night and day. Plus, the commentarors in the US are horrid!

You cannot compare NHL (hockey) to NFL (football). One of the MAIN reasons football is such a huge draw is the gambling aspect. When people bet on sports they suddenly become more interested in the sport and the outcome.
  9. USA HOCKEY

It's dead
    As a hockey player myself, im disappointed.
    Some of my friends just got drafted by NHL teams, and they won't ever get their chance.
    It was never really an American past-time.

its football, baseball, basketball and nascar now...
    Bowling too (more people watch bowling on TV than nascar and basketball - believe it or not!)
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  10. New Member

Hockey may die in the US, but Canada will always come back. We just love it waaayyy to much up here. They don't call southern Ontario 'The Leafs Nation' for nothing. Hell, we just got a Leafs logo baby pacifier as a gift. My baby has a Leafs jersey and he/she isn't even due until January.

As much as I want to see hockey I'm OK with a lockout, so long as at the end they solve some of the structural issues. If this solution involves retracting multiple teams in the southern US, so be it. I've not been in the southern US, but we hear stories of how rodeo gets better TV ratings down there. Retract the teams, get a system where every team has a chance to compete year to year, and lets have at it. Less teams = better quality product = better entertainment for those of us who do care.

At least the world junior championships start at the end of the month. Its something anyways.
  11. Superman

It's dead!!!
  12. New Member

I love hockey GO BRUINS!
  13. New Member

Its done now. Sports networks up here are reporting NHL is rejecting players latest offer without any need for further talks. Anyone ever see a whole country go into a deep depression? That's were Canada is now headed. Maybe we need a riot or something ...

Guess I'd better start watching cricket, or bobsled or (shudder) water polo.
  14. Board Supporter

you mean is the NHL dead, not hockey. If the NHL did die, another league would spring up, with the same owners and the same players. I moved to Ottawa a few years ago from a small non-hockey town, and to see the support the Sens get from the town is amazing. Come playoff time the whole city is about hockey (although it doesn't last long I hope they stand their grounds and hold out till the NHLPA accepts the salary cap. I am a firm believer in the salary cap expecially if you want to continue to see Canadian teams in the NHL. We just don't have the money or market to compete with U.S. teams financially, just look at baseball, Canada is down to its last team in MLB. I hope the NHLPA accepts the deal soon and we get some NHL hockey next year, for now, the minors will have to do.
  15. New Member

Never been a hockey fan.......glad I didn't start. I suppose in those Frozen parts of the world, hockey will never die, but then again, they have NOTHING else to do.

Not only is hockey dead, it barely had a pulse in the U.S.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

So now that the season is canceled what are we going to do!!!

17. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by gobig1
    Never been a hockey fan.......glad I didn't start. I suppose in those Frozen parts of the world, hockey will never die, but then again, they have NOTHING else to do.
    Frozen parts of the world like Minnesota, Boston, New York, Detroit, Chicago?

True, people in those areas definitely have nothing else to do.

Tool.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.

Actually I read today that the union has finally agreed to a salary cap. Except they want a 52 mill roof where the league wants it at 40 mil. It's a huge step but it still might be too late. I'm willing to still rely on hope that we get some games out of this year.
  19. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    well i live in chicago so hockey has been dead here for years but i bet if you ask any canadians im sure they will tell you that when hockey starts up if ever that they will be first in line to get tickets
  20. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by iwinulose2981
    well i live in chicago so hockey has been dead here for years but i bet if you ask any canadians im sure they will tell you that when hockey starts up if ever that they will be first in line to get tickets
    As a Canadian.. don't hold your breath on that

You can bet I won't be buying tickets. Not for me or for my company.
  21. New Member

Is hocky dead? No. Is NHL dead? Yes.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I wish they would overhaul it and change it to olympic rules, then hockey would be so much more exciting for the average sports fan. I swear if they did that hockey would boom all over....
  23. Board Supporter

Hockey is not dead, after really following the Stars for the past few years,I really like the sport, the guys that play this sport r what tough is all about, they dont cry about ahurt finger, or pants fit to tight, or a little blood, all other pro sports need to take a lesson on being tough and man up and just play.
  24. New Member

No hockey is not dead because of the strike...it was all along. Im sure its a really fun sport to play, but when i watch it i cant even see where the puck is. If there wasnt fighting there would be no reason to watch it...i just get too bored unless im watching my team and even then i can only watch a few minutes. i think hockey just has a hard time bringing in new fans and football, baseball, nascar, basketball will always have the audiences in the us. and i think moving to these non hockey markets was a terrible idea and will have to be changed
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

No its not dead, and the Rangers are actually going to make the playoffs this year
  26. New Member

I dont play hockey, but I miss watching my bruins at night. The stanly cup playoffs is always exciting.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by davisville64
    I dont play hockey, but I miss watching my bruins at night. The stanly cup playoffs is always exciting.
    I missed sudden death OT play-off hockey, that was so exciting to watch
  28. New Member

Detroit Red Wing fans are faithful to thier team.. tickets are completely sold-out for the next 2 months.. I can't even think of getting my hands on a pair for under $300.00... sucks! (I really wanted to see them play the Calgary Flames.. since Darren McCarty is with them now. )
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.

lol perk of living in chicago, our team sucks so nobody goes. i was looking up tickets for the avs-hawks game next thurs and they still have seats behind and next to the bench. i pretty much have choice of whatever section i wanna sit in.
  30. Registered User

attendence is up throughout the nhl this season from what it was before the lockout (not that hard i know). but with the new rules and no ties its made a lot faster and more exciting game.

and MSG is always sold out, Ranger fans are the best.
  31. New Member

Attendance is god awful in STL, even from the get go, before the Blues started laying the suck on big time. I work in retail at the Savvis Center. When I started in 2002 they usually had around 40 employees working in retail. For tonight's game there is 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer
    attendence is up throughout the nhl this season from what it was before the lockout (not that hard i know). but with the new rules and no ties its made a lot faster and more exciting game.

and MSG is always sold out, Ranger fans are the best.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  196 lbs.

viva el hockey!
    "A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most." -George Bernard Shaw
  33. MTNMEDIC

Depends on what country you live in,..unlike America, soccer is an attitude and a way of life. here it's healthy thing for the children. Not a battle between small villages or cities since anyone can remember. When you mention going to a soccer game most flatlanders think "riots, tear gas, helmets and batons". Damn right ! unlike the glam sport of basketball, Hockey fans still do and allways will give a s#it about their sport / way of life....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The DC sniper is officially DEAD
    By ward0351 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
  2. Billy Mays Is Found Dead
    By TheMyth in forum General Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 04:00 AM
  3. Poll: Is Rock Dead?
    By CNizz in forum General Chat