The London 2012 Olympics Thread!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I started this because I'm obsessed with the Olympics. Winter and Summer alike. I'm a huge fan of swimming, archery, gymnastics, and weightlifting events. All topics welcome, rep your nation, what are you looking forward to, predictions...

First topic: China with 4 golds??? They came out swinging, wow.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, I gotta admit that I do miss not having a TV for this. Not quite the same sitting in front of my computer screen watching it.

I also dig weightlifting, gymnastics, and swimming. Last summer olympics there were some very impressive feats of mental and physical strength. Interested in seeing what else shows.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I thought the U.S. looked like clowns wearing berets.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
this is going to become the undoing of phelps.. Place fourth in the 400im.. first time he didnt medal since sydney 2000.. his time was 7 seconda off his wr and 6 of his omaha time

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but I'll gladly welcome in lochte. As long as america gets that gold. Lol

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Phelps looks like he's just giving up late in the race. Even in prelims he's ahead by a few head lengths then false behind +a few seconds. He even passed up his spot in two events he normally competes in. You're gonna see some new names take the highlight in the US. We won the bantam weight boxing today. Middle weight against Armenia tomorrow!

dontknowaboutme

dontknowaboutme

Awards
I think that Phelps fell off too much in his training. They said he had been preparing for 9 months. The guy really faded the last 200m.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
I'm in. Can't wait for Track and Field to start!

David
Team APPNUT

G

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in. Can't wait for Track and Field to start!

David
Team APPNUT
Same here! I watched men's beach volleyball and tennis doubles yesterday. Both US teams dominated!

R

RepAfterRep

Awards
Men's USA basketball versus France today! How many points you fellas think team USA wins by? I'm thinking 20 points. France has a few NBA players so I don't think this will be a complete blowout.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^Beat em by 27! We play Tunisia on Tuesday. Kevin Durant has 22pts while Bryant only had 10.

Russia blew it in archery. All the weightlifitng is on at like 5AM EST, that kinda sucks. Nick Mangold's, center for the NY Jets, sister is competing superheavyweight. Her clean and jerk is 320lbs, her brothers is 307 LOL.

And it was only a matter of time until this came around
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--controversy-surrounds-world-record-400-im-of-china-s-16-year-old-ye-shiwen-.html

But at 16, and beating Lochte's IM free time? I don't care how good your flip turns are, thats just not physically possible.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
^Beat em by 27! We play Tunisia on Tuesday. Kevin Durant has 22pts while Bryant only had 10.

Russia blew it in archery. All the weightlifitng is on at like 5AM EST, that kinda sucks. Nick Mangold's, center for the NY Jets, sister is competing superheavyweight. Her clean and jerk is 320lbs, her brothers is 307 LOL.

And it was only a matter of time until this came around
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--controversy-surrounds-world-record-400-im-of-china-s-16-year-old-ye-shiwen-.html

But at 16, and beating Lochte's IM free time? I don't care how good your flip turns are, thats just not physically possible.
thats crazy.. her overall time was slower but to beat the top male in any leg is unheard of...

I really got into the 2 v 2 beach volleyball

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I missed all the events yesterday to go to the Yankees game. Which they lost... To Boston....

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Watching Women's 58kg weightlifting. Man, some chicks on there are really stacked. Also, Yuliya Kalina of Ukraine killed those lifts ... and she's so fast. I'm noticing though that a chinese lifter (or Taipei? Is that a different country?) just opened with a CJ that's the second highest CJ performed in this weight class ... so, looks like they may win this.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Watching Women's 58kg weightlifting. Man, some chicks on there are really stacked. Also, Yuliya Kalina of Ukraine killed those lifts ... and she's so fast. I'm noticing though that a chinese lifter (or Taipei? Is that a different country?) just opened with a CJ that's the second highest CJ performed in this weight class ... so, looks like they may win this.
China won the 48kg too. I didn't see it, its on too early so I DVR it. We only have three: a guy my size, and a male and female over 85kg. Ukraine breeds powerlifters.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ukraine breeds powerlifters.
Yeah, those Soviet bloc countries are strong when it comes to weightlifting. This Belarus girl kept getting reds, but I don't know why still. Her lifts were fine. I think the judges made bad calls at least on her 3rd attempt.

That UKR girl took the bronze. China sweeped when their girl opened with like everyone else's max for the C&J, while Thailand took the silver.

R

RepAfterRep

Awards

Look forward to this next game! Gonna see some highlight reel plays for sure!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Torobestia, I'm relying on you for updates lol

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Epic men's volleyball game earlier. We lucked out.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I've had a couple day dreams of being in the weightlifting.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
USA now leading the count in medals. Take that, China!

G

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
UK 1st and US 2nd in 10000 Meter run!

h3rnandez

h3rnandez

Awards
Tonight was a good night for GB (except the football)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
UK 1st and US 2nd in 10000 Meter run!
Did you see the women's double scull yesterday? They killed it, almost beating Australia (and everyone else) by a boatlength. It was pretty epic to see how much they dominated.

Saw some cool footage of women's gymnastics in 1953 compared to now. The Russian woman in the clip, who used to hold the record for most medals in the games before Phelps, would have been eaten alive by Gabby Douglas. Just goes to show how much these sports progress over the years.

G

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No I missed it but what a great swim by the US Men's relay for Phelp's last race!!! Wow!