NBA draft

JComp

Awards
Not sure how many people care about it, the NBA dosent seem to be poplular around this site. Anyways, who do you think your team will get, who will go first, who will be the best player? Im a cavs fan and my guess is they go with Irving at 1 and Kanter at 4. I would say they will go with Valanciunas, but the word is he wont be able to play in the NBA the next season. To bad this is a very weak draft and there is no Rose or Durant type player in it, Either way as long as the Cavs dont do somehting stupid it should land them two quality players, and hopefully keep their first round next year and get a stud from that draft.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Irving is a horrible #1 pick. Cavs should trade the pick. I thought the article on ESPN was a joke, at first (totally honest). It doesn't matter since there will be a lockout, anyway ;)

JComp

Awards
I think they should draft Williams 1 and Knight 4. Irving only played like 8 games I don't understand him being the first pick. His game seems like it will transition to the NBA safely, but knight seems to have a much higher ceiling as well as being a better scorer, and had a 4.0 in college. Williams would be a dominant pf with his athletisim and size. He would be a decent sf too, just not fast enough to run with the fasterplayers at the position. Who's your team Midwest?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with your assessment, entirely.

I root for the Bulls (it was nice to see a deep playoff run since it feels like I hadn't had the chance to experience since the Jordan era when I was a kid). However, I don't have a team. I really root for individual players and circumstance more when it comes to the NBA. MLB is the only sport I actually have a team in that I'm dedicated to 100%.

JComp

Awards
I do the same with everyone other than the cavs. Would love to see the bulls try to swing a trade for Andre igudola. That would make them a team to worry about in the east.

wsaucer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe Williams from Arizona will go 1st pick to the Cavs. Irving didn't play much so I don't think they would take the risk to pick him first. I am curious to see where Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette end up.

My team is the Thunder btw..Durant/Westbrook! :biggthumpup:

JComp

Awards
I dont know, from everything coming out of Cleveland they seem high on both, but Irving has the edge from the sounds of it. I hope they go Williams. Even if Brandon Knights gone at 4, getting 2 big men like Williams and Val or Kanter would be good peices to build around. I think Kemba will go to either the Kings or Detroit. Jimmer will get drafted way sooner than he should by someone trading up for him. Jimmers like the Tim Tebow of the NBA draft this year.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jimmers like the Tim Tebow of the NBA draft this year.
Very true. I like Tebow a lot (particularly for the way he conducts himself off the field). I think Jimmer is good, but like in your comparison, whether it translates into good NBA play is a different story. I definitely agree that Williams is the way to go on the number 1. He's a solid big man, but not Oden-esque in terms of less mobility and a higher percentage for injury (e.g. Yao, as well).

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the cavs are really getting screwed here, if all the players that could have came out did...this draft would be a lot deeper and would give the cavs a lot more options...in most seasons the cavs could have had a combo at 1 and 4 like lebron and dwade....durant and mike conley jr....dwight howard and shaun livingston (who was emerging before his injury)....this year they won't be getting anything close to that

they say the hardest positions to fill in the nba are pg's and centers, so if they select Irving I really can't blame them since he seems to be a good shooter and a true point guard, plus they need to look towards next year when they have 2 first round picks again and should have 1 in the top 10, so i say go for irving and kanter this year so you have a pg and center....then get your building block next year....weather its terrrance jones or perry jones....someone like them and they'll have a triple threat

if they draft williams, they then have to hope brandon knight is still there at 4 and if he's not they take a foreign player that won't help them anytime soon....theres too many players in the next draft that are better than williams even at the 10 or 12 spots

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the cavs are really getting screwed here, if all the players that could have came out did...this draft would be a lot deeper and would give the cavs a lot more options...in most seasons the cavs could have had a combo at 1 and 4 like lebron and dwade....durant and mike conley jr....dwight howard and shaun livingston (who was emerging before his injury)....this year they won't be getting anything close to that

they say the hardest positions to fill in the nba are pg's and centers, so if they select Irving I really can't blame them since he seems to be a good shooter and a true point guard, plus they need to look towards next year when they have 2 first round picks again and should have 1 in the top 10, so i say go for irving and kanter this year so you have a pg and center....then get your building block next year....weather its terrrance jones or perry jones....someone like them and they'll have a triple threat

if they draft williams, they then have to hope brandon knight is still there at 4 and if he's not they take a foreign player that won't help them anytime soon....theres too many players in the next draft that are better than williams even at the 10 or 12 spots
Good points all around. Man, I love talking sports like this lol.

I definitely agree that the potential lockout made the draft pool much more shallow. What we need are some more OSU allegations to get Sullinger out there ;) :laugh:

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
haha yeah i totally keep forgetting about sullinger......look at 2012 mock drafts....theres like a small army of kentucky kids projected in the first round

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha yeah i totally keep forgetting about sullinger......look at 2012 mock drafts....theres like a small army of kentucky kids projected in the first round
It's gonna stay that way for the next handful of years if Cal doesn't change his recruiting method/style (and/or get pegged by NCAA charges/allegations). He's a good coach and the kids see what he did for Wall and Cousins (and Orton...still don't know why he came out when he did) and they want that. In return, he gets the best players (even if it's just for one year).

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ohh don't get me started on orton....i'm a magic fan...how you draft a center that averaged 2 points a game is beyond me

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ohh don't get me started on orton....i'm a magic fan...how you draft a center that averaged 2 points a game is beyond me
lol you better hope Howard does in fact stick around, then.

Like I said, I'm baffled he came out when he did. He said his stock was higher then or something, but I would think it would have been significantly higher had he stuck around this year and took over the role left vacant by Cousins since he only played minimal minutes off the bench. And the fact that he got drafted in the first round is shocking. I know big men are hard to come by, but I want at least SOMETHING proven and not ALL just "potential."

JComp

Awards

Good points on nexts years draft where Williams would be 10th pick where Irving would still probably be 5th. I wish Irving would have worked out against people like Knight and Kemba so we could really see him. With no sure fire superstars like I guess going for a player who will be a key peice for when you can get a superstar makes sense. Not a fan of Kanter, I would rather go with Valacuinis at Center, Hes only 19 so he will get bigger and stronger, I dont know what it is about Kanter I just see him being to soft. Even if Val cant come over this year, its not like the cavs are a playoff team anyways so a year wait will be fine.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good points on nexts years draft where Williams would be 10th pick where Irving would still probably be 5th. I wish Irving would have worked out against people like Knight and Kemba so we could really see him. With no sure fire superstars like I guess going for a player who will be a key peice for when you can get a superstar makes sense. Not a fan of Kanter, I would rather go with Valacuinis at Center, Hes only 19 so he will get bigger and stronger, I dont know what it is about Kanter I just see him being to soft. Even if Val cant come over this year, its not like the cavs are a playoff team anyways so a year wait will be fine.
i can see valacuinis being a solid player eventually, but i heard this morning, he may not come over for a few years...if i was an nba gm i'd be so furious if i drafted a player top 4 that may never come and step foot on my team...i've seen the magic do this quite a years back when they wasted an 8th or 9th pick overall and the guy never played for them, i also think if your the cavs and know you have two early picks like this, you'd want to get players that will be able to play as much together as possible because lets face it, they don't have any other pieces on their team to build around at this point, so this is your future, with one more gold chip coming next year (barring a miracle season where they do better than we think), and if the draft is that deep next year, they have the heats first round pick which is late, but they may be able to get a role player to add to the mix

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm sorry i'm an idiot, i guess the cavs don't have the heats pick....but can swap picks with the heat if they want, but thats not going to happen

JComp

Awards
I think with the cavs not being close to competitive val makes even more sense. He will be able to play after next season I'm told and he's only 19. If the cavs like val more than anyone left at 4, I don't think they should pass just because he wouldn't be here for a crappy season anyways. Next year get Harrison Barnes and then you have your future at center, point, and sf, along with Hickson at pf.

JComp

Awards
Plus the cavs will probably trade Romon sessions, Andy veriajo, Daniel Gibson, and jamison in some type of combinations either this year or next year for picks.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
crazy trade talks i'm hearing now.....i've heard a few trades that would ultimately have the lakers starting 5 be, bynum, kevin love, derrick williams, kobe, and devin harris and artest as a 6th man....thats 4 outta 5 starters in their 20's and kobe

JComp

Awards
crazy trade talks i'm hearing now.....i've heard a few trades that would ultimately have the lakers starting 5 be, bynum, kevin love, derrick williams, kobe, and devin harris and artest as a 6th man....thats 4 outta 5 starters in their 20's and kobe
No way, the Wolves want either Gasol or Bynum for the 2nd pick, and no way they throw Love in without it including Bynum. I just read that both the Wolves and Lakers are going after Igudola. Wolves for the 2nd pick.

Last edited:
Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just posting what I heard, I think igudola is an awesome piece to add to a team on the brink of a championship, he's obviously not a number 1 player but is a really good player in my eyes anyway

And I love the sixers team, they have so much young talent, imo its almost like they can do no wrong, anything they get for igudola will only make the team much more complete

JComp

Awards
For sure Iggy would make any team competitive, but would take a team on the brink over the top. The only thing the 76ers dont have is someone to take over a game at any time, besides Igudola. I dont get why they are so willing to part with him. Plus they will miss his defense from the 2 spot no doubt.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For sure Iggy would make any team competitive, but would take a team on the brink over the top. The only thing the 76ers dont have is someone to take over a game at any time, besides Igudola. I dont get why they are so willing to part with him. Plus they will miss his defense from the 2 spot no doubt.
I figured they got turner who looks pretty good, and they won't win if igudola is the star player, so i'm guessing they are trying to get that star player or give the younger guys a chance to developement into that star role

JComp

Awards
I figured they got turner who looks pretty good, and they won't win if igudola is the star player, so i'm guessing they are trying to get that star player or give the younger guys a chance to developement into that star role
They won't get a star back for igudola. Maybe they want the cap room to make a run at someone in free agency.

JComp

Awards
So glad they dont have 30 mins like the NFL draft. Cleveland got a pretty good amount of cheers in Jersey, suprised by that. Lebron got some boos when they mentioned him. Cavs waited for a while to pick and they finally selected Kyrie Irving. Big shock.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interested to see who the Jazz take...

JComp

Awards
for sure jazz could take change alot of picks depending on who they choose. Kanters probably the best option for them, and would really change what cleveland does at 4.

JComp

Awards
Well now who knows what Cleveland will do with Kanter out. They could get Vanicnis, or even get Jan Veesly. Maybe even trade down for Vaniconis.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well now who knows what Cleveland will do with Kanter out. They could get Vanicnis, or even get Jan Veesly. Maybe even trade down for Vaniconis.
Not a fan of how that played out, in general. REALLY think Cleveland should've went w/ Williams first. Even if for trade-bait, later. I see him having more superstar power in the future.

JComp

Awards
Triston Thompson at 4? I dont like this pick at all. Hes nothing they dont already have with JJ Hickson. They dont have any shooters now or anyone who can score other than Kyrie. At least drafting Valancnis could have given you a center for the future, and an element you didnt already have.

JComp

Awards
Not a fan of how that played out, in general. REALLY think Cleveland should've went w/ Williams first. Even if for trade-bait, later. I see him having more superstar power in the future.
Me either especaially with this pick. Much rather have Williams and Knight than Kyrie and Thompson. I dont see what Thompson brings to this team that they dont already have. Hes a worse version of Verajo and Hickson.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't like the way this draft has gone down at all. Very odd one to witness (glad I'm just looking at updates on espn.com every once in a while instead of watching it).

JComp

Awards
I dont like it either. Waiting for the cavs to make a trade back into the first round now to try to get a scorer. Still trying to find out why they Drafted Thompson, probably means Hickson will be traded. Its a weird draft because people are taking really big risks on potential because of that lack of real star power in this draft.

JComp

Awards
The cavs drafted another PF. They have the Hickson, Jamison, Samuals, Harengody, and now 2 rookies in Harper and Thompson. Trades have to be coming.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont like it either. Waiting for the cavs to make a trade back into the first round now to try to get a scorer. Still trying to find out why they Drafted Thompson, probably means Hickson will be traded. Its a weird draft because people are taking really big risks on potential because of that lack of real star power in this draft.
Definitely agreed. Surprised by the number of foreign picks, too. Maybe that's more regular, but it doesn't seem like it. At least not in the first round.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anyone watch the whole draft? the lakers need youth now while kobe has a few years left.....they drafted guys that no one on espn even knew or had videos of.....it reminded me of the oakland raiders drafting a safety in the second round and if espn doesn't have a video on a guy...then it's a surprise pick....they needed an athletic guard...isiah thomas? may not be the best player but can add athletics plus he's got his dads blood, maybe could turn out to be a player....who knows

JComp

Awards
anyone watch the whole draft? the lakers need youth now while kobe has a few years left.....they drafted guys that no one on espn even knew or had videos of.....it reminded me of the oakland raiders drafting a safety in the second round and if espn doesn't have a video on a guy...then it's a surprise pick....they needed an athletic guard...isiah thomas? may not be the best player but can add athletics plus he's got his dads blood, maybe could turn out to be a player....who knows
He's not related to that Isaiah Thomas. Is got the name cuz his dad lost a bet. But with that late of second rounders getting big men you can store in Europe or wherever the hell they were from is not a bad idea. Mike brown needs big men for his team to play how he wants so if he strikes gold with one of the 3 drafted it will be a great pick.