Ricky Williams Retires - AnabolicMinds.com

Ricky Williams Retires

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Sponsor

Ricky Williams Retires

He never was "quite right."

Report: Dolphins' Ricky Williams to Retire

Sunday, July 25, 2004
    MIAMI - Ricky Williams has told the Miami Dolphins that he's retiring after just five years in the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Sunday.

Williams said he was overjoyed by his decision.

"You can't understand how free I feel," Williams told the Herald in a cell phone interview Saturday before boarding a plane in Hawaii and heading to Asia to begin several months of travel.

The 27-year-old running back, who started his career with the New Orleans Saints, said he plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on Monday or Tuesday.

Williams told Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision Friday and said Wannstedt tried to persuade him to reconsider. Miami opens training camp Friday.

The Dolphins acquired Williams from New Orleans for two first-round draft picks in 2002, and he led the NFL in rushing that year.

Phone messages left early Sunday with two Dolphins officials and Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, weren't immediately returned.

"I have no comment," Wannstedt told the Herald when asked about Williams' retiring. "Players report Friday. Right now, it's a 10-day dead period. We'll get everybody started on Friday."

Wannstedt acknowledged talking with Williams but declined to give details of their conversation.

Williams said there was no chance he would change his mind.

He said he has already told his mother Sandy, Steinberg, backup running back Travis Minor and friends and family of his decision.

In May, three South Florida newspapers reported that Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for a second time since joining the Dolphins.

But his attorney, Gary Ostrow, told The Associated Press: "As far as I'm concerned, there is no violation."

Williams told the Herald his failed marijuana tests had a minor influence on his decision to retire, but was only one of many factors. It didn't cause him to retire, he said, as much as reinforce his reasons for wanting to do so.

Williams' two seasons with the Dolphins have been the best of his career. He set a team record with 1,853 yards rushing in 2002. He followed that with 1,372 yards last season.

2. PC1

Such a talented athelete and still a young man. I'd be curious to know what he plans on doing career wise from here on out?
  3. New Member

Not as shocking as Barry Sanders, but damn.

But you know what. As long as it makes him happy, he should do it. He's made more money then most of us will ever see and still has his health. He could have a nice looooong retirement.
    •   

Nah, he'll be back.....eventually. But damn, I'm gonna miss using him in Madden 2005...lol.....
  5. New Member

I don't know, Madden is due on thr 9th of August. Don't know if that is enough time to edit the game. I'm not sure how that stuff works.
  6. Professional Member

yeah he's an odd bird for sure but he does have his health and he'll be able to walk normal in his older years unlike a lot of NFL players. I'd probably do the same thing. To hell with retiring when your a cripple.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Well, this ain't that shocking to hear. The guy did have a habit of meeting the media with his helmet on LOL. He's had depression issues in the past so maybe it's a temporary thing. I'd be damm happy though if I were in the NFC east, just made New England's job a hell of a lot easier.

BTW, good point on NFL players and their future health jminis, after all, why would you want millions of $$$ if you can't fully enjoy your life ?
  8. Senior Member

His priority obviously isnt in football. One way ticket to Asia? He isnt retired for good. Wait 2-3 years and he will come back since even the wackiest of people will come back to where the money is......
    Sage
  9. Board Supporter

Piece of ****! Just when things were starting to look up for us South Florida fans (signing of Shaq)..the Marlins go on a losing streak and Ricky Williams retires.

If he wants to retire at age 27, whatever, thats his choice. But he should have told management sooner, that way they could have drafted a RB for the future or at least made a trade for somebody better than Travis Minor. Maybe Eddie George would have wanted to come here?? This sucks
  10. Advanced Member

Maybe he just didn't want to play for maimi any more. He'll take they year off then sign with someone else next year.
  11. Advanced Member

He is one weird dude though.

Quote Originally Posted by phatbody
    I don't know, Madden is due on thr 9th of August. Don't know if that is enough time to edit the game. I'm not sure how that stuff works.

It's due out the 9th bro? Uh-oh, look out...my winter laziness is about to begin...lol...
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.

As far as I know they take the rosters from the previous year and apply them to the game and any trade/draft pick done in the off season you have to do yourself. But that would be pretty badass if they were that up-to-date right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBoy
    As far as I know they take the rosters from the previous year and apply them to the game and any trade/draft pick done in the off season you have to do yourself. But that would be pretty badass if they were that up-to-date right out of the box.

YEah, they should have something to update the game every so often whenever you use the PS2 modem and go online...it could take you to an EA sports update page....that would definately be sweet. Hmm....maybe I'll email them...

Me and some guys down here usually rent out a bar/club and hold a Madden Tournament. Last year I won 200 bucks and that wasn't even first place. We always get a very nice turn-out....we get other guys to post flyers all around town, etc...
  15. Banned

ha ha ha Ricky Williams u *****,,,,i am glad i didnt draft you for fantasy football this year,,,go smoke some shwag u fake ass Brian Grant
  16. New Member

You're absolutely right. He should have at least had the courtesy to inform his management a lot sooner. Maybe he has some resentment against Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by DieTrying
    Piece of ****! Just when things were starting to look up for us South Florida fans (signing of Shaq)..the Marlins go on a losing streak and Ricky Williams retires.

If he wants to retire at age 27, whatever, thats his choice. But he should have told management sooner, that way they could have drafted a RB for the future or at least made a trade for somebody better than Travis Minor. Maybe Eddie George would have wanted to come here?? This sucks
  17. New Member

****ing *****, oh well, at least we South Florida fans have the Hurricanes!!!!!!!!
  18. Advanced Member

Maybe he has some resentment against Miami?
    No he was just so stoned he forgot to tell them.
  19. Professional Member

He is a real strange individual.
  20. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

I don't know call me crazy but something does not smell right with this situation.I know there are some drug allegations,but who really knows for sure...I watched the press conference and it appeared Dave Wanstat knew alot more but would not elaborate,his answers although not derogatory, they were clearly not congratulatory
    for his service to Miami ....JMO

Quote Originally Posted by size
    He is a real strange individual.
    I'd take his strangeness/income over my income any day of the week....
  22. New Member

I watched an interview of Eric Dickerson a couple of years back and he was asked about a few of the top running backs. He said Ricky williams "did not have the heart" to make a big impact on the game.

I guess he was right.
  23. Advanced Member

Its obvious hes going to Thailand to become a bodybuilder...
  24. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jarconis
    Its obvious hes going to Thailand to become a bodybuilder...

He is one jacked mofo.
  25. New Member

Ah I over looked the fact that he totaly screwed the Dolphins because now they have 0 running game. It would have been ok to do it in say march, but right now with training camp and pre-season around to corner it was a pretty dick move.
  26. Advanced Member

Ah I over looked the fact that he totaly screwed the Dolphins because now they have 0 running game. It would have been ok to do it in say march, but right now with training camp and pre-season around to corner it was a pretty dick move
    Yup but it will probably equal 2 wins for the patriots so I am happy about it.
  27. New Member

Yeah....Ricky Williams retire and now Brock Lester turns down a 4.5 million WWE contract to sign a base salary with the Minnesota Vikings. Go figure.....
  28. New Member

dolphins werent gonna be any comp for my pats anyways, the chokin homos in teal
  29. Banned

Maybe he's facing other charges?

Or maybe he just wants to do drugs and young prostitutes in a country that permits it.

If it's the second one, he won't be coming back to play ball...it's not like he's a musician and can get away with, either physically or publicly.
  30. Board Supporter

He's been hanging out alot latley with Lenny Kravits...wants to be a rock star..
  31. PC1

Put his picture in the dictionary next to the word FOOL.

A huge waste of prodigious talent.

Someday he'll wake up somewhere and realize what a capital F Fool he is for squandering it all.

I mean if the guy doesn't want to play football, or retire at the top of his game or whatever, that's fine. But what I'm reading in the news is that the guy is just a flake who'd rather be able to smoke dope whenever he feels like it.

Incredible.

The only upside for me personally, is that I've had my kids read the articles as a lesson in life about how recreational drugs can RUIN a person. The guy makes more money in 1 FOOTBALL game than I make in 4 years salary, and he's walking away from that, the notoriety, the privilege and the honor associated with being an elite athelete among elite atheletes................. to be a pothead.

But frankly, I'd rather have some criminal loser from today's headlines to be able to drive a point like that home.

It's really, really disappointing to see this from someone like him.
  32. Board Sponsor

Agreed. The amount of God given raw talent he has wasted is just plain said.
  33. Banned

It was just reported in the Chicago Trib. that Williams faced a four-game suspension for yet another failed drug test for marijuana. The Dolphins hadn't been notified yet, but surely Williams knew. He'd have been sitting out the first quarter for the season, so he threw in the towel.

And yes, this is a great argument for the stupid decisions people make for recreational drugs...a few hours of enjoyment vs. a lifetime of success.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

BTW, don't the Colts look like geniuses for not drafting his pothead ass ? I'm sure some of you remember the Colts getting blasted for taking Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    BTW, don't the Colts look like geniuses for not drafting his pothead ass ? I'm sure some of you remember the Colts getting blasted for taking Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams.

I can't wait to see Peyton;s brother Eli croak on the field this year if he does indeed start. I don't like that guy...

Colts will be poppin though this year...look out for 'em....
  36. Advanced Member

I can't wait to see Peyton;s brother Eli croak on the field this year if he does indeed start. I don't like that guy...
    I can't imagine them using him over warner.
    Colts will be poppin though this year...look out for 'em....
    Colt will still have to go threw the pats.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
    I can't imagine them using him over warner.

Colt will still have to go threw the pats.
    I can...Warner sucks man...

Pats, they'll be no match for the Steelers this year...
  38. Advanced Member

Pats, they'll be no match for the Steelers this year...
    I have heard that before.lol
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

BTW, I don't know if you guys know, but according to Jim Rome, Ricky Williams wants to play for the Raiders in 2005 and there's nothing the Dolphins can get in return. He will likely comment on it in his show "Rome is burning" at 9pm Pacific, 12pm Eastern
  40. USA HOCKEY

He didn't retire per say. He quit.
    And a large portion of the decision was because he wants to smoke weed. I kid you not.

Here's Bill O'reilly on Williams:

Up In Smoke
    By: Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
    Thursday, Aug 05, 2004
    Star Miami Dolphin running back Ricky Williams has walked away from millions of dollars, in part because of marijuana. Williams told the Miami Herald that he smoked weed constantly and masked his use by consuming a substance called "Extra Clean." Nevertheless, Williams failed three drug tests administered by the NFL, and finally decided to retire at age 27, citing his desire to continue smoking pot as one of the reasons.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services, less than 2 percent of American youths had ever used marijuana, back in the year 1962. Forty years later, that percentage had increased to an astounding 54%. The simple question is: What dynamic has changed in America to account for the drastic increase in the consumption of marijuana?

The watershed event, of course, was the rise of the anti-war movement in the late 1960s. Smoking pot became the appetizer for the Vietnam protest entree. The rock world immediately got involved, and an intoxication celebration was underway.

Since that time, marijuana use, especially among young people, has steadily increased, and now about 20% of high school seniors smoke pot on a regular basis.

Interestingly, up until 1992, marijuana use was far more common among whites than minority Americans, according to a study by the National Institutes of Health. But in the nineties, pot consumption by African-American men and women between the ages of 18 and 29 increased 224%!

The ten years between 1992 and 2002 coincided with the rise of the rap industry. Icons such as Snoop Dogg and Ludacris consistently glorified marijuana, and I believe their message fell on willing ears. A generation of Americans kids, of all colors, were (and continue to be) pounded by rhythms and lyrics encouraging a libertine lifestyle with a heavy emphasis on drug use and exploitative sex. How could this not take a toll?

Anyway, Ricky Williams and millions of other young Americans love their pot, and are willing to make great sacrifices to consume it. Think about all the good Williams could have done with the money he was earning. Life in the National Football League is no easy venture, but athletic ability is a gift that should not be discarded lightly.

The bigger picture is that marijuana use is now largely accepted by American society even in the case of young people. This is a disaster for kids. Awash in drugs and alcohol, we are now a culture where children are exposed to intoxicating agents practically from the time they reach the age of reason (7 years). And any child who becomes involved with mind altering substances loses their childhood instantly. They are never the same.

But how often do you hear the media speak out against substance consumption? It is winked at, excused, and even tacitly encouraged by many pundits and activists. That is the great change since 1962. Getting high is no longer even an issue in many quarters - it is standard procedure.

Ricky Williams should be the poster boy for the marijuana debate. The man obviously is seeking emotional comfort, and the price of that comfort is somewhere around $15 million dollars. You can't get much higher than that.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ricky Williams Signed To The Argos...
    By Mulletsoldier in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 01:18 AM
  2. funny ricky williams video
    By BMW in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
  3. Ricky Williams interview 12/14/05
    By DieTrying in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
  4. Ricky Williams to return to Dolphins