The most dominating player in sports?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Who do you guys feel has the biggest impact in his particular sport?

Baseball- hands down Barry Bonds
Basketball- Shaq
Football- tough because its hard to compare a defensive player to an offensive player. Ray Lewis has to be considered. Two years ago I would have said Warren Sapp.

Lance Armstrong is the man for his particular sport as well. I don't watch enough hockey to comment on it. Overall I feel Bonds is the most dominating player is sports, for the simple fact that if he gets up to bat 10 times, he will be on base 7 times. AMAZING!

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Lance Armstrong will be dominant until he retires. He is just a speciman of stamina; it is really amazing.

size

Awards
  • Established
Actually, Lance is only particularly dominant in the Tour de France. There are many other cycling events that he does not dominate in. However, Tour de France is the biggest.

Soccer- Zinedine Zidane.

rpward210

Far Beyond Driven
Awards
Shaq has to be the most dominant player in sports. Although, he may not be the best. Shaq is one of five players on a team. Also, he is truly a one of a kind player. Bonds, is one of nine on the field at one time. You can list other players in the league that are having just as much (or more) effect on the outcomes of games. In the NL Rolen comes to mind.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Do you think that Freddy Adu kid will live up to the hype? The piece Real Sports did on him made him look unbelievable.

size

Awards
  • Established
Do you think that Freddy Adu kid will live up to the hype? The piece Real Sports did on him made him look unbelievable.
He is extremely talented, a prodigy really. However, his first year as a professional has been lacking. He has not adjusted well to the professional game in USA, which is on a lower level than European leagues. Part of his problems may simply be that he is young mentally. I think another 2 years will truly let us see what Adu will be. He will be 16 or 17 by then which is a good age to see how he has developed as a player.
Some players, like Ronaldo in the past, are world class by that age.

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
As for hockey, at least these days, there really aren't any dominating players. You could argue, MAYBE, Martin Brodeur. At least in recent years, he's the only player I've seen personally steal a series or two. Hockey is such a dynamic sport, always moving, 15 or so guys on each team, that it's tough for someone to regularly affect the outcome of games night in and night out.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Agree with bonds and o'neal. Payton Manning is probably the 'most important and statistically" impressive player in the league so I'll give the nod over Lewis, Brooks or any defensive player. Which sports hasnt been covered..... golf? tennis? Still has to be Tiger even without a major in 3 years. In tennis, it has to go to Federer
Sage

size

Awards
  • Established
In tennis, it has to go to Federer
No doubt. He is one of the most talented players EVER.. His biggest problem is that he is so physically gifted that he has trouble deciding when and what to use b/c he has so many options. He won Wimbledon without a coach which is unheard of in tennis.

bigsquid

Awards
Basketball - Shaq (physically) and Jordan (every other-ly)
Baseball - Bonds (duh)
Strongman - Magnus VM
UFC - Couture, even more astounding cause he's like 40
Sumo - Akibono (maybe not the most dominating but my favorite.)
Finally how about the most dominating family in sports, namely the Gracies. They are their own army, jm2c

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Football-Tom Brady:He isn't spectacular during the regular season, but he knows how to win, he knows where the mismatches are, and he knows how to use the talent of his teammates.
Basketball-Shaq, I don't need an explanation for this one.
Baseball-Barry Bonds, I don't need an explanation for this one but Albert Pujols comes the closest to him and he may be the heir appearant to Bonds

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Lance Armstrong, Randy Moss, and Barry Bonds

Physicist

Awards
If this was a couple years ago, then Jeff Gordon and Tiger Woods.

BigChuckles

Awards
You all have forgotten about bodybuilding. Ronnie Coleman :thumbsup:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
randy moss u scare u scare

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hands down michael schumacher in F1 and barry in baseball

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
folks I'm most impressed with:

Michael Schumacher: I LOVE F1 and at the pinnacle of the sport is the most unbelievably dominant and talented driver in history. His records are beyond amazing for ANY sport, particularly his. He has WON more races than most drivers ever even start in their careers, and shows no sign of letting up (though he's now the oldest in the field)... disciplined, could go on and on about this guy... sets the bar for excellence.

Lance Armstrong: I can't even imagine where this guy finds the tenacity and intensity to do what he does, truly remarkable... nuff said.

Roger Federer: Most graceful, well rounded and naturally gifted tennis pro possibly ever. Agassi gets a nod for his work ethic and consistency (amazing for his age still). I personally believe that if he were to get himself a coach and take his training up a notch or two he could stay at the top as long as he wants.
--------------------------

Ray Lewis/Peyton Manning: For almost opposite reasons these two always impress me as being truly elevated among pretty much everyone else in the league, although the NFL is SO team oriented it's impossible to pick one stand alone person. Ray Lewis is a total beast/animal/freak, and I swear he has 100% nitroglycerin pumping through his veins. Manning's methodical approach and analytical abilities combine with his raw talent and work ethic to make him the most consistent, dangerous passer and (for all intents and purposes) offensive coordinator in the league.
---------------------------

quick mention of other greats:

Jerry Rice: undoubtedly the best player at his position in history, arguably the "best" football player of all time

Wayne Gretzky: called "The Great One" for a reason, set an absurd number of records

Pete Sampras: 14 Grand Slam titles, 6 years in a row ranked #1 (286 total weeks), 762 career wins, etc... Federer looks awesome but he has a looong way to go to come close to this man.

Jordan: duh. owned like no other. made grown, professional basketball players look like inept children year after year.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Vote still goes to hardest to coach against - Randy Moss

BryanFury

Awards
F1-M. Schumacher, no real contest.

Boxing-Hopkins is the best there is pound for pound. His knockout of De La Hoya should seal that, and I still say he will go down as one of the greatest ever in the sport.

Kickboxing-Would have to give that to Ernesto Hoost. He isn't called Mr. Perfect for no reason.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
have to disagree with M Schumacher; sure he is an above average driver; but he's also driving the best car... put him on a lesser team and he will not perform at this level; case in point, check his past history... truth is ALL F1 drivers are incredible drivers and pretty much most the drivers in other sports couldnt hope to be a TEST driver for F1; it takes some kinda small superhuman to do it... but the winner comes down to the car most of the time... Ferrari is so far ahead of everyone in suspension its just crazy... look for Toyota to catch up in about 5-6 years... they are throwing more money at it than anyone else... they already make the most power

new restrictions coming soon i hear; rule changes since the current cars are getting too fast; most are thought to be touching nearly 1000hp out of their 3.0L V10s... rumors of a 2.5L V6 winding out 23000+ rpms will be the new thing soon...

best driver i've seen is jacque villenue... he's done some crazy **** in a slow car...

as far as football; hands down its Peyton Manning; the Colts offense is HIS offense... he is the military commander and uses his offense as a weapon; and a deadly weapon it is; i've never ever seen someone quite as dangerous offensively as he is... give him what he needs, a good OL, good receivers, and a decent runningback and you've got the best offense in the NFL

baseball; barry bonds isnt impactful; the giants didnt make the playoffs and havent really gotten much of anywhere in all the years he's been there... I think impact players would be people like Rolan, Pujols, Dusty Baker as a 2nd year CUBS manager is doing pretty good, and many others... Barry Bonds is a single good player but the teams he plays for dont win when it counts...

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
after last night,,,move over Dan Marino and Joe Monatana,,,here comes Daunte Culpepper

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
after last night,,,move over Dan Marino and Joe Monatana,,,here comes Daunte Culpepper
Yeah no kidding, move over Armstrong and Jordan too. Dante is on fire

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
baseball: Bonds or Beltran
basketball: Shaq
Football: Offensively, Randy Moss, Defensively: Ray Lewis
Boxing: Bernard Hopkins
Hockey: who cares

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I love Beltran, but he's gotta hit for average. I'd have to say Bonds and Randy Johnson (when healthy)

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I love Beltran, but he's gotta hit for average. I'd have to say Bonds and Randy Johnson (when healthy)
Yeah but Beltran is clutch. I forgot about Randy Johnson. Ill have to say though the player i fear most in any sport is Derek Jeter. That dude never makes a mistake and always come up big when it matters.