Unpatriotic pro athletes

bigsquid

Awards
The france boycott thread made me think of this, along with the recent news about Armstrong.
Forget france, we should start boycotting any professional athlete that declines to represent the U.S. in the olympics. I was disgusted when I heard how many superstar basketball players were bailing out on the dream team, but when I found out that Lance Armstrong wasn't going to go to the olympics I went from disgusted to pissed. All these athletes make millions of dollars and enjoy the freedom and support of what I consider the greatest nation in the world, and they can't sacrifice a little off season time to give something back? But, kids will still run out and buy basketball jerseys and usps bike helmets or whatever cycling fans buy, well not me. I'll take a Tillman jersey, and the rest of those overpaid, unpatriotic bastards can kiss my ENTIRE ass!
Sorry, just needed to vent a little :rant:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about unpatriotic they are, but a couple of the pro b-ball players are recovering from injury. As for Lance the Olympics is right around the corner, there would be no way he could recover and prepare in time for them. He is only half way through the Tour now.

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
I have to 100% disagree with you in regards to Lance. The olympics are next month. The Tour de France ends on July 25th, arguably the most grueling individual event in any sport. Why would he put himself on the world stage at the Olympics obviously not in top shape, just for the sake of being there?

As for next month's Olympics, Armstrong wants to return home to his children after months away training for cycling's toughest test. He knew his heart wouldn't be in the Summer Games.

"I've done the Olympics many times and if I don't have 100 per cent motivation for something that's an important event, a very important event, then I don't want to take somebody else's spot," he said.

In training for the Tour, Armstrong said he had spent five months away from his son, Luke, and twins Grace and Isabelle.

"It's really hard to do and so I want to go home," said Armstrong, the bronze medallist at the 2000 Sydney Games, his best showing in three Olympic appearances.
Can you seriously call the guy unpatriotic?

And as for the NBA players, I've been against pro athletes being in the Olympics since the first dream team...so if some stay home that's no hair off my ass. Same goes for the NHL players...they can all stay home as far as I'm concerned.

bigsquid

Awards
I guess I just see it different. I would have chosen to skip the tour and spend the 4 months getting prepared to take gold for the U.S. That opinion is probably in the minority because of course who is going to pass up their chance to win the 6th (I think) straight tour de france to go to the olympics. :think: And I think that's where patriotism comes in.
For the NBA players, many of them play all the way through the playoffs injured, a la Sam Cassell, for a chance at the finals, and many others are not injured.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I think it's pretty funny that Lance keeps beating France's ass in their tour. It has to piss them off something terrible.

Alt+F4

Awards
Skip the tour? Not even an option. I do see where you're coming from maybe with some other athletes, but it simply doesn't apply to Armstrong's situation. I know that I'll never be able to make it to an Olympiad to represent my country, and I can see how you'd get upset that someone DOES have that chance and doesn't want it. If it's just an open and shut case of "I don't want to go, it doesn't interest me", then yeah, that's pretty lame.

And beelzebub, they actually (mostly) love him over there. As much as I can't stand the French, they do have a love affair with cycling, and even they can respect someone as dominant in their sport as Lance is.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess I just see it different. I would have chosen to skip the tour and spend the 4 months getting prepared to take gold for the U.S. That opinion is probably in the minority because of course who is going to pass up their chance to win the 6th (I think) straight tour de france to go to the olympics. :think: And I think that's where patriotism comes in.
Tour de France is the ULTIMATE competition for him. For a track star... the ultimate is the Olympics. Why the hell would someone skip their ULIMATE competition in favour of a lesser one?

That's like asking a basketball player to skip the NBA Finals to prepare and train for the Olympics.

Make no sense.

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
Houseman, well put.

The fact of the matter is that the Olympics are simply no longer the pinnacle of success for specific sports: soccer(football), cycling, baseball. Can you imagine Barry Bonds missing the World Series to play in the Olympics?!?!?! The Tour de France is the biggest cycling event in cycling history, and Lance Armstrong is competing there while he can - he won't stay young forever.

Ibanez

Awards
I thought the main reason Lance declined the olympics was because he's been away from his kids for so long and would continue to be if he did the olympics and he didn't want that to happen so he skipped the olympics to spend time with his kids. That's what I read, don't know if it's 100% accurate.

Alt+F4

Awards
I thought the main reason Lance declined the olympics was because he's been away from his kids for so long and would continue to be if he did the olympics and he didn't want that to happen so he skipped the olympics to spend time with his kids. That's what I read, don't know if it's 100% accurate.
That is correct, see my post halfway up the page.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I wish it would go back to the pro's not playing in the Olympics.. especially of bball

rpward210

Far Beyond Driven
Awards
I have no problem with pro players skipping the Olympics. Our second and third tier players should be able to handle the international competition. The level of competitiveness between halfassed top tier athletes and hungrier 2nd and 3rd tier athletes should be close or sway towards the hungrier player. Let them sit whether they have a good excuse or not.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
after lance's illness, would it be reasonable to assume he is hormonally optimized?

Alt+F4

Awards
They're sitting down riders for "suspicion" of illegal activity. I can't imagine they'd pardon lance if he were in that group...

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
I am sure with the number of times he's won in recent years, he is scrutinized as much as or more than other cyclists.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A lot of basketball players are sitting out because of fear or a terrorist attack. I do feel that these players should play, but quite honestly, nobody wants to be shot at. I actually really like this Olympic BB team roster..very young and these guys really have something to prove.

Myth

Awards
That is crazy!

The france boycott thread made me think of this, along with the recent news about Armstrong.
Forget france, we should start boycotting any professional athlete that declines to represent the U.S. in the olympics. I was disgusted when I heard how many superstar basketball players were bailing out on the dream team, but when I found out that Lance Armstrong wasn't going to go to the olympics I went from disgusted to pissed. All these athletes make millions of dollars and enjoy the freedom and support of what I consider the greatest nation in the world, and they can't sacrifice a little off season time to give something back? But, kids will still run out and buy basketball jerseys and usps bike helmets or whatever cycling fans buy, well not me. I'll take a Tillman jersey, and the rest of those overpaid, unpatriotic bastards can kiss my ENTIRE ass!
Sorry, just needed to vent a little :rant:
Do you see any other millionaires traveling abroad during these times? No! There is a reason why we men that spent time in the military wore uniforms, it is because of the profession we chose. Players don't get paid to get shot at, nor do they have to subject themselves to the danger. Also, we would never win a gold medal with our college guys playing against the other country pros. This was the reason for the pros entering the Olympics. We got tired of getting our butts handed to us by the Russians, Croatia, and other countries. On a real tip, I don't think too many players will be kissing your ass buddy.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The French actually like Lance Armstrong. Even though he is an American, they do know his amazing story - and many of them like Armstrong. He is one of the "good" Americans in their mind. The rest of us are evil and terrible however.

bigsquid

Awards
Well said everyone, you made me think more about it. I guess my first post was an initial reaction, but it does irk me that there seems to be a serious shortage of national pride especially among pro's. I guess the olympics just aren't what they used to be, of course I still hope Lance wins the tour just to stick it to everybody that's been screaming "chemical enhancement" since he won the first one after beating cancer. Oh well, I can still watch the really cool events, like curling. :thumbsup:

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The French are looking for any reason to catch Armstrong doping, so he'd be a total fool to be "hormonally optimized." He started with amazing raw talent, and his performance curve is totally reasonable. And once you've got the experience and confidence of a win, it makes it that much more easy to visualize (which is the key mental component for distance races). I think Lance is just the Michael Jordan of B-ball, a genetically gifted guy who knows the value of hard work and has the willpower and balls to make it happen.

Anyhow, sprinters have more to gain from 'roids. Cyclists can't even put cortisone crema on their crotch for seat rash. They're one of the most scrutinized bunch. Their more likely to utilize bronchodialators and other red-blood cell boosters and such...then again, my M4OHN sure made me run fast!!

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
Even the bronchiodialators like the sleep chambers, etc are getting the close eye these days. I think that they were been banned from the winter olympic fare grounds during the last olympics and I read recently, I can't remember where, that they were considering an out right ban on them for future winter sports.