Who is the biggest waste of talent in sports history ?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Who is the biggest waste of talent in sports history ?

My choice goes to Mike Tyson. I truly believe he could have been the greatest if he would have stayed focused and out of trouble. He was the world's heavyweigth champ at 20. He was a knockout machine when he was focused.

I think Darryl Strawberry is a close second, it still boggles my mind how he was caught with coke and a hooker even though he knew he had cancer.

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    My choice goes to Mike Tyson. I truly believe he could have been the greatest if he would have stayed focused and out of trouble. He was the world's heavyweigth champ at 20. He was a knockout machine when he was focused.

I think Darryl Strawberry is a close second, it still boggles my mind how he was caught with coke and a hooker even though he knew he had cancer.

Ryan Leaf has to come to mind. Dunno if any of you guys remember a guy named Cecil Collins, but us Dolphin fans sure do. Also, not at all a waste of talent, but it would have been amazing to watch Barry Sanders play another 5-6 years.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

Yeah I forgot about Ryan Leaf LOL! He's gotta be one of the biggest pussies in NFL history.

Barry Sanders is the best back of all time IMO. Would have been a treat to watch him break the rushing record. It's amazing how he never had much talent around him or a fullback for most of his career but was still able to dominate. The only thing I have to criticize him for is quitting on his teammates 1.5 months before the season began. He should have given earlier notice to the team just out of respect for his teammates who were counting on him.
    •   

4. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

MLB - Ken Griffey Jr. (still having a great career, but was once on pace to shatter the homerun record).

NFL - Brian Bosworth, Lawerence Phillips, Cecil Collins, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith (smith was never talented however).

NHL - ? people say Eric Lindros but I can't label Lindros a bust.

NBA - Grant Hill (Injuries absolutely ruined him), soon you can add Kwame Brown to this list - he will be the worst #1 pick in the past 15 years.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.36%

I remember Cecil "The Diesel" Collins. He was dominant at LSU, and I expected him to be a strong NFL player.

I think it is Bo Jackson. He was absolutely incredible. However, I am not sure if his talent was wasted, but rather it ended to early due to injury.
    I spend alot of time analizing sports for job purposes and Bo Jackson was the most talented guy that I ever saw.

Another wasted talent was Archie Manning. He did not waste it, but the teams he played for were awful in ever other position. Archie Manning had the potential and talents to be a Hall of Fame quaterback, but unfortunately for him, he got stuck player for some of the worst teams in history.
  6. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Bo Jackson was certainly ahead of his time, but would he be the best athlete in professional today if say, he was a rookie?
    Bo Jackson and Hershall Walker remind me alot of Fred Taylor today.
    Only back in the Jackson's and Walker's day - they were bigger and faster than most linebackers, that wouldnt be the case today.
    Jackson was clearly more talented than Walker, Walker lacked the vision to be a great RB.
  7. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

eddie george is pretty soft today
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Deoudes59
    Bo Jackson was certainly ahead of his time, but would he be the best athlete in professional today if say, he was a rookie?

Bo Jackson would be dominant today. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money on that.
    Bo Jackson rarely trained in the weight room. Could you imagine if he had?

However, this will be a pointless debate as it is impossible to prove either way.
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.62%

I think Ryan Leaf has to be up there. As for Ken Griffey, and Grant Hill I dont know if I put them into the same kind of wasted talent as Ryan because of injuries. How about Brian bosworth, Andy Katzenmoyer, Tony Mandarich. I have to say thanks for Tony being touted as the best lineman ever entering the draft, because it aloud Barry Sanders to come here to detroit. Watching Barry was without a doubt the best times in football to me. He was a @ss for quiting early though. Kwame Brown is also a good name to have on the list. How aobut Sam Bowie remember him he was drafted before Michael Jordan. I better go before I keep thinking of more busts.
  10. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.36%

Tony Mandarich is definitely a good one. What about Todd Marinovich? He was a serious bust who had been groomed his whole life to be a professional.
  11. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

I think Bo would be good-great today.
    I think that he benefited (some) from 'being ahead of his time'.
    Maybe its not as applicable to baseball or football (in the past 10-15years).

Certainly the comparsion is accurate in basketball and hockey.
    If Lebron James launched his career in the 80s -- would he be better than Jordan? (it would depend on how many championships we won -- thats what ultimately separates Jordan from ever other superstar)

If Teemu Sellane, Pavel Bure, Jaromir Jagr played in Gretzky's era - I have no doubt that they would have scored more goals than Gretzky. But Wayne is still the best ever. Mario second
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Tony Mandarich is definitely a good one. .
    That's who I was thinking! Remember that HUGE spread in SI when he was a senior-talked about his diet, weight training, what a force he would be in the NFL, etc. etc. What a ****in joke.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.47%

You can't fault Barry Sanders for the timing of his retirement. Do you feel like YOU abandoned your teamates (co-workers) the last time you quit a job? Did YOU give 1 and a half months notice?

I don't fault guys like Leaf, Shuler, and Akili Smith, they just didn't have the talent, and it is the teams that made the mistake.

To me, its the guys that throw their careers and lives away chasing the white powder.

And of course guys like Collins, Riddick Bowe (who had more talent than anyone I've seen when motivated), Ike Ikebuchi (who WOULD be the heavyweight champ right now) and Rae Curruth, who not only did in their own career, but are now in the hole.
  14. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

cocaine is a hell of a drug
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

Quote Originally Posted by size
    What about Todd Marinovich? He was a serious bust who had been groomed his whole life to be a professional.
    This dude was a HUGE mental case. Last I heard he was caught using drugs and last played in the AFL. He was supposed to be the next Kenny Stabler for the Raiders.

About the grooming part, he was being pretty much forced to be an athlete by his father since he was a child, didn't have a burger until his teens cause his dad was strict with him.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Skark
    You can't fault Barry Sanders for the timing of his retirement. Do you feel like YOU abandoned your teamates (co-workers) the last time you quit a job? Did YOU give 1 and a half months notice?
    I see your point of view. The reason I critcized him was because I was looking at it from an ex-community college player's point of view cause I'd be mad if I were busting my ass and the guy we rely on the most quits on such short notice since learning an NFL offensive system can take some time
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

One of the most intriguing things about Bo Jackson was that he wasn't even as dedicated to football as other football players since he was playing about 8-10 games a year for the Raiders. He'd be a 1500 yard rusher in today's NFL. HIs acceleration was incredible, extremely physically gifted for the 80's and early 90's
  18. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.62%

I thought of another one. Does anybody remember Brein Taylor? He was the lefty pitcher out of highschool that was throwing 98mph. The yankees signed him to a record signing bonus for someone out of the draft. They signed him for like 1.5 million back in 1991.
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.6%

Len Bias. Obviously a different situation as all the players named but this dude was considered one of the greatest talent coming out of college. Sad story....
    Sage
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Not the worst, but in contention - Andre Ware, Ron Dayne, Jerry Rice, Aleksandr Karelin.
    Jerry fu&%ing RICE......are you kidding us

The GREATEST player of his position of ALL TIME

Really, what more can the guy do? He wins Super Bowl titles, All-Pro about 15 times, and still effective at 42. And has the BEST work ethic of anyone.

Yeah, I guess the Niners regret that pick
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Got the most from limited physical tools - Doug Flutie
    After that Jerry Rice blast, I had to think twice about praising you for mentioning the player in the NFL I respect most

The best testament to Fmutie I can make is:

What do all QBs drafted from 1983-1985 have in common EXCEPT for Doug Flutie?

THEY ALL HAVE TAKEN OFF THE PADS

This guy's determination and drive is something most of us can only dream about. And he is still excited about stepping in between the lines. Last season, at age 41 he played the best game of his career against the then undefeated Vikings, my favorite team. After about 3/4 of the game, when the guy had thrown for three scores and rushed for two more in totally destroying the Vikes, I was cheering for him.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.28%

The entire Red Sox team is a waste of human flesh..

I hate baseball altogether, so they can all be sent to prison camps and raped with spiked bats..
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.47%

For Dayne, I really think the jury is still out. In the right situation he could flourish. His problem is that Tiki Barber is such a good all-around back.

As far as Tony Mandarich, he started in the league for 10-12 years. To me, thats a pretty solid career. Green Bay just made a mistake on draft day.

For me, I'll stick with the biggest waste of talent being guys who throw their life away through drugs and crime.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Skark

For me, I'll stick with the biggest waste of talent being guys who throw their life away through drugs and crime.
    Me too, that's why I picked Tyson and Strawberry, I did forget about Len Bias, very sad indeed.
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%

The biggest waste, and by no fault of his own, is/was Terrell Davis. Had he not had the knee injury, he would have easily passed Emmit Smith for the all-time yardage record.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.99%

Remember David Klingler?
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.97%

think it is Bo Jackson. He was absolutely incredible. However, I am not sure if his talent was wasted, but rather it ended to early due to injury.
    I spend alot of time analizing sports for job purposes and Bo Jackson was the most talented guy that I ever saw.
    Bo was the greatest athlete in the last 100 years. He was an All-star in baseball and could have been an All-pro in the NFL too. Remeber when he ran up the wall to make that catch? Baseball people still talk about it. Here was a guy who at 240lbs ran a 4.15 40-yard dash! He was challenged to a race by noted base stealer and he told him sure all race. You can wear your track shoes and I'll run in my bare feet! The guy declined. Howie Long used to say that Bo's mother must of feed him D-bol in his oatmeal.
  28. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Guys that did more with less (overachievers you might say):

Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie, Rocky, Emmitt Smith, Dino Cicarelli, Dale Hunter, Brett Boone (steroids or not)

Speaking of steroids in baseball, I've compared rookie cards of Jason Giambi, Barry Bonds, Jim Thome, Brady Anderson, Mark McGwire, Bret Boone, Eric Chavez, Ken Caminiti, Jeff Bagwell to their present day pictures - different is night and day.

Especially Jim Thome.
  29. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Anderson
    Jim Thome

(im not gay)

I only see 3 attachments -- But there are 4.
    i dont get why i dont see certain attachments
    Last edited by Deoudes59; 07-05-2004 at 04:05 PM.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.97%

I'd say you could do that in the 10+ years they have been in MLB. Just check out Bobo's before and after pics in his section, that was just 6 years.

Anyone remember Reggie Lewis, captain of the Celtics back in the 90's fell flat dead playing ball, some thought because of coke, others because of a genetic heart condition.

cm5
  31. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Quote Originally Posted by cookmic5
    I'd say you could do that in the 10+ years they have been in MLB. Just check out Bobo's before and after pics in his section, that was just 6 years.

Anyone remember Reggie Lewis, captain of the Celtics back in the 90's fell flat dead playing ball, some thought because of coke, others because of a genetic heart condition.

cm5
    I do agree, I single out Anderson and Thome because their frames don't really look like that could naturally support all that muscle (especially thome - he has high BF however).
    162 Games a year and travel - it;d would be hard to do.

I can't view Bobos before and after... I don't know why???

How many attachments did I upload, it only shows 3 that I can view - but I sent 4.
  32. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.62%

I do agree, I single out Anderson and Thome because their frames don't really look like that could naturally support all that muscle (especially thome - he has high BF however).
    162 Games a year and travel - it;d would be hard to do.

I can't view Bobos before and after... I don't know why???

How many attachments did I upload, it only shows 3 that I can view - but I sent 4.
    Theres 4 up there
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.97%

Deoudes59 Laurie Dhue!
  34. E-BOLLER
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.41%

The pre-Shaq Shaq, Stanley Roberts.
  35. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Quote Originally Posted by LCSULLA
    Deoudes59 Laurie Dhue!
    Yes!

I like Kiran Chetry also, shes from Gaithersburg MD.
  36. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Freek 420
    The pre-Shaq Shaq, Stanley Roberts.
    true, Alonzo Mourning too.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.97%

I like Kiran Chetry also, shes from Gaithersburg MD.

"groan".... She's my cousin..
  38. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.28%

Quote Originally Posted by LCSULLA
    "groan".... She's my cousin..
    really... thats cool -

when i say 'like' im refering to im attracted to intelligent good looking women with personalities.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.97%

when i say 'like' im refering to im attracted to intelligent good looking women with personalities.
    Thank God! When guys find out that I am related to her, they always ask to be set up. But she's married,so..
  40. E-BOLLER
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.41%

true, Alonzo Mourning too.
    At least Zo had quite a few good years. This guy was supposed to be a monster coming out of LSU.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Biggest Waste of MMA Talent?
    By TheMouth in forum MMA
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
  2. Who is the best HW boxer in the last 25 years?
    By jas123 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 07:36 PM
  3. Who Is The Biggest Supplement Whore Here?
    By TheMyth in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 10:53 PM
  4. Who is the 'expert' in MMA?
    By DieTrying in forum MMA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
  5. Who Is The Biggest
    By G.E.SUPERHUMAN in forum General Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 01:06 AM