UFC or Boxing - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

UFC or Boxing

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. New Member
    krlos86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    53

    Reputation

    BOTH ARE AMAZING

  2. New Member
    Mr Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    52

    Reputation

    Gotta go with the UFC. I just cant get into boxing anymore now that im a UFC fan. It just seems to be outdated now.
  3. New Member
    jodywebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    60

    Reputation

    i like both.
    •   
       

  4. tpw
    New Member
    tpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    53

    Reputation

    UFC not to many good boxing for awhile now maybe mayweather vs paq will happen one day.
  5. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Grew up watching boxing with father, later on walked into Gleason's famed Brooklyn gym and fell in love. Both sports have their place. Also the business models for both are entirely different, with the top in boxing making vastly more than their counterparts in MMA.
  6. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I can't wait to see Randy Couture beat James Toney, then no one can say boxing guys can beat MMA guys...and I would love to see Mayweather fight the guys he has with 4 oz gloves.
    You could take an average 140lb boxer and put him in the ring with a talented MMA fighter, where all they could do was trade hands...I present to you a massacre (in the boxer's favor). I've witnessed it myself.
  7. Diamond Member
    JudgementDay's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,290
    Rep Power
    3567562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    You could take an average 140lb boxer and put him in the ring with a talented MMA fighter, where all they could do was trade hands...I present to you a massacre (in the boxer's favor). I've witnessed it myself.
    Ya I'd like to see Cain Velasquez box with an average 140lbs boxer wearing MMA gloves and just box.....bye bye boxer lol


    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a boxing match= boxer wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a MMA fight= MMA fighter wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a kickboxing match= MMA fighter wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a grappling match= MMA fighter wins


    Thats just how the cookie crumbles
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

    If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  8. New Member
    jgassen15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    190

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think you may have misunderstood. It is not about varying the activation of the same muscles, which seems to be what you are implying, but it is an entirely different kind of activation altogether. Your point seems to be that there is only a difference in the degree of conditioning between MMA fighters and boxers - with boxers, in your mind, being superior - whereas the issue is a difference in kind altogether.

    Furthermore, that MMA fighters are faced with the same constraints of intensity - ensuring that takedown attempts are still explosive, that leg kicks are still crisp, jabs are proper, etc - only serves to cement my point: not only are they required to maintain speed, accuracy, etc., over long(er) durations, but are required to do so across different instances of physical stimuli. In any case, the greater metabolic load and subsequent adaptation in MMA quite literally means they are more conditioned in the physiologic sense of the word. This being said, I am not making a blanket statement re: the general level of athleticism and explosiveness between sports. Boxers are phenomenally conditioned athletes.

    Also, Toney began his career at MW, and was slovenly even then.
    Comparing the type of conditioning that each sport takes is comparing apples and oranges. You have to think of a boxing match almost a marathon. The sheer amount of punches thrown and taken in a match is astounding, not to mention the number of rounds compared to that of an MMA bout. However, if boxing is a marathon, MMA is not a sprint, but more of say a 400 or 800m run. You have to pace yourself at a point, but know when to explode and make your move, all while being cognisant of what's in your gas tank. This is especially apparent when you add the element of grappling. To truly appreciate the incredible conditiong of both boxers and mixed martial artists, you really have to try both. A boxer's endurance wouldn't mean **** in a wrestling match, and a wrestler would gas in a boxing match. That's why mixed martial arts is so versatile, as it adds in both elements, and hence why I favor it over boxing (especially as of late). However, to say that either sport's athletes are better conditioned is pretentious.
  9. New Member
    jgassen15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    190

    Reputation

    great, i see the next 5 posts just say everything I tried to but much more directly
  10. New Member
    jgassen15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    190

    Reputation

    Not to mention world class boxers are a at a completely differnet level of skill in striking than a mixed martial artist that trains in boxing. If Randy Couture fought Toney in a boxing match (which he never will), Toney would obliterate him. Even Randy said this would happen. I liked what Vitor Belfort proposed. He wanted to fight Toney in an octagon with 4 oz. gloves and make it a kickboxing/muay thai type of deal.
  11. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Ya I'd like to see Cain Velasquez box with an average 140lbs boxer wearing MMA gloves and just box.....bye bye boxer lol


    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a boxing match= boxer wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a MMA fight= MMA fighter wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a kickboxing match= MMA fighter wins

    Boxer vs MMA fighter in a grappling match= MMA fighter wins


    Thats just how the cookie crumbles
    If you were to take Cain Velasquez and put him in the ring with the ghost of Arturo Gatti, it would last a little over 30 seconds, with Cain waking up in the dressing room wondering how a ghost can still be effective at counter punching.

    Use some perspective. Lesnar became a champion after how many pro fights? In boxing that would be damn near impossible, where size has less to do with it, than pure skill. If Lesnar were 15-0 in boxing and you were to put him in the ring with a top 5 fighter, you'd have your license revoked and he would be in the hospital. You can't intelligently compare boxing vs MMA in terms of their popularity. Boxing boasts names like Muhammad Ali and is stoked in tradition. MMA just popped up in the mainstream only a few short years ago. To properly judge both sports and their impact with the public, both sports would have to be judged against time and in that vein boxing takes the belt.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    If you were to take Cain Velasquez and put him in the ring with the ghost of Arturo Gatti, it would last a little over 30 seconds, with Cain waking up in the dressing room wondering how a ghost can still be effective at counter punching.

    Use some perspective. Lesnar became a champion after how many pro fights? In boxing that would be damn near impossible, where size has less to do with it, than pure skill. If Lesnar were 15-0 in boxing and you were to put him in the ring with a top 5 fighter, you'd have your license revoked and he would be in the hospital. You can't intelligently compare boxing vs MMA in terms of their popularity. Boxing boasts names like Muhammad Ali and is stoked in tradition. MMA just popped up in the mainstream only a few short years ago. To properly judge both sports and their impact with the public, both sports would have to be judged against time and in that vein boxing takes the belt.
    The record thing is something that is always brought up, but you have to look at it in context. When you look at the records of most top MMA guys, very few of them are cans with the exception of the beginning of their careers. However, it can take over 30-40 fights before a boxer gets someone of merit. To boxing, the record is everything and I can think of very few guys that do not fall fall guilty to "record padding."

    If a fighter in MMA starts out with 10 wins without a loss, it is a hell of a beginning to a career, but if a boxer loses that early, it puts a huge dent into his record. The only boxer I can think of with an early loss and still become elite is Pacquiao. To my knowledge, the best official beginning to a career post-NSAC clearance is Diego Sanchez at 17-0 (I say official because of the BS loss on Fedor's record to TK).

    Lesnar become champ because of 20 years of amateur wrestling experience including a DI championship with a 105-6 record during college. Yes, he's a huge dude, but he's also a freak athlete.

    Impact also depends largely upon culture. In Brazil, Japan, Russia, Thailand, etc., traditional western boxing has very low cultural impact while BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Sambo, Vale Tudo, etc. have a much higher cultural impact. MMA as we know it is really only about 15 years old, but the concept of having different arts compete against each other goes back well over 70 years in Brazil, which is really the Motherland of MMA.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Fair point, however, boxers are brought along slowly to maximize their potential, more so than to simply pad their records. As an example, Fernando Vargas was thrown into the lion's den after having only 20 pro bouts to his name, against the likes of Felix Tito Trinidad; and consequently was never the same after that. If he were given the chance to mature both mentally and physically, presumably he could have gone down as one of the best fighters of his generation, based solely on his talent level. Boxers have a short lifespan to maximize both their potential and their pocket books.

    I agree that MMA is more popular in certain areas of the world, however, if you have one of their countryman fighting for a title in boxing, it will capture their imagination and the entire country, much like Manny Pac has. More over he doesn't speak English, yet was still granted an SI cover, and was a first seat guest on Leno, Letterman and Kimmel. Some of the biggest fights in boxing history were fought internationally, in places like Manila and Zaire. Everyone has heard of the "Thrilla in Manila", not so sure everyone has heard about "Lesnar/Couture". History speaks to my general point.

    I think MMA has it's place. To argue that it's more popular than boxing, would need to be argued in context, given that it's only been given a mainstream outlet in the past few years. It would need another 20 to justify that argument while steeping itself in tradition, much like Muhammad Ali, Tyson and Leonard among many others have come to define boxing and become A-List celebrities outside of their respective sport.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Fair point, however, boxers are brought along slowly to maximize their potential, more so than to simply pad their records. As an example, Fernando Vargas was thrown into the lion's den after having only 20 pro bouts to his name, against the likes of Felix Tito Trinidad; and consequently was never the same after that. If he were given the chance to mature both mentally and physically, presumably he could have gone down as one of the best fighters of his generation, based solely on his talent level. Boxers have a short lifespan to maximize both their potential and their pocket books.

    I agree that MMA is more popular in certain areas of the world, however, if you have one of their countryman fighting for a title in boxing, it will capture their imagination and the entire country, much like Manny Pac has. More over he doesn't speak English, yet was still granted an SI cover, and was a first seat guest on Leno, Letterman and Kimmel. Some of the biggest fights in boxing history were fought internationally, in places like Manila and Zaire. Everyone has heard of the "Thrilla in Manila", not so sure everyone has heard about "Lesnar/Couture". History speaks to my general point.

    I think MMA has it's place. To argue that it's more popular than boxing, would need to be argued in context, given that it's only been given a mainstream outlet in the past few years. It would need another 20 to justify that argument while steeping itself in tradition, much like Muhammad Ali, Tyson and Leonard among many others have come to define boxing and become A-List celebrities outside of their respective sport.
    I think the current state of affairs of the HW division dispels this point.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I think the current state of affairs of the HW division dispels this point.
    With respect to the heavyweight division, which was once seen as the glamor division, I agree with you; however, it's only one division out of many. Luckily boxing has multiple divisions, filled with a lot of young talent, and that bodes well for the future of the sport. Again this isn't an MMA bash, it does have it's place. To compare it to boxing in terms of popularity in my opinion is a bit disingenuous, given that it's still relatively new to the "mainstream". The litmus test will be in 20 years from now, will MMA have it's own version of a Muhammad Ali, Leonard, Duran, Armstrong, Marciano, Tyson etc.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    With respect to the heavyweight division, which was once seen as the glamor division, I agree with you; however, it's only one division out of many. Luckily boxing has multiple divisions, filled with a lot of talent, and that bodes well for the future of the sport.
    However, the phrase "HW Champion of the World" used to be amongst the most prestigious titles in all of sports, but it means very, very little now. There is just something about the HW division that captivates people and plays a huge role in the overall health of the sport.

    I think to say that the future of boxing is secure is a tad too arrogant in the sense that the overall popularity of boxing has tailed immensely because of the lack of an infusion of fresh, captivating talent. For better or worse, the marketing of a fighter plays a huge role and this is where boxing has really faltered. There is a rich history of characters in boxing, but it really seems like that could be a thing of the past as the scumbag promoters have really taken over the sport and delay the fights for years and years. Even if they do happen, it's often too late as the luster of the matchup has ended (I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in MMA because it does and there's 1 person to blame for it).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    However, the phrase "HW Champion of the World" used to be amongst the most prestigious titles in all of sports, but it means very, very little now. There is just something about the HW division that captivates people and plays a huge role in the overall health of the sport.

    I think to say that the future of boxing is secure is a tad too arrogant in the sense that the overall popularity of boxing has tailed immensely because of the lack of an infusion of fresh, captivating talent. For better or worse, the marketing of a fighter plays a huge role and this is where boxing has really faltered. There is a rich history of characters in boxing, but it really seems like that could be a thing of the past as the scumbag promoters have really taken over the sport and delay the fights for years and years. Even if they do happen, it's often too late as the luster of the matchup has ended (I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in MMA because it does and there's 1 person to blame for it).
    MMA and boxing have vastly different business models. MMA is controlled/governed under one entity (Dana White) with the top fighter not even making a fraction of what a mid-level fighter featured on a boxing PPV would make, or generate from a live gate.

    In terms of raw marketing, I like the direction that Dana White has taken, especially with the rumor that he plans to create his own network, which is a game changer. If you could forgo the networks then you're ahead of the game. Dana White was losing money until the UFC made it's reality tv debut, which showcased the sport to a much broader audience. I don't think the heavyweight division is as important as it use to be, with respect to the long term health of the sport. Even when Lennox Lewis was the heavyweight champion, boxing's most popular figure was Oscar Dela Hoya. As long as you have a mixture of talent coupled with a dynamic personality, then you're back in business. Manny and May possess both.

    Boxing needs a uniformed commission, however, that would alter the current business model, affecting both the fighter and their promoter, which is why it hasn't happened yet. Having said that, the last few boxing PPV's were all successful, with some even breaking prior records for both purses made and live gate. Boxing moving away from networks like ABC and CBS, have been detrimental to the sport in terms of marketability, however, fighting on HBO (subscription model) brings in a lot more money to the fighters and promoters; it's a catch 22. Both boxing and MMA will ultimately thrive; albeit through different mechanisms.
  18. New Member
    primetime74's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    109

    Reputation

    Im a big fan of both sports. Both have amazing skill sets of their own. MMA is so much more diverse, giving the fighter much more to worry about. Which is technical is its own way. Because you dont know if the guy will punch, kick, knee, or take you down for G&P or to set up a sub. In boxing its much more artful since all you use is footwork, body movement, and your hands.

    Overall I prefer MMA but a great boxing fight is tough to beat by a top MMA fight. I miss the old days when you seen great fights and fighters on free TV. I remember watching my favorite fighter Thomas Hitman Hearns on Wide World of Sports. Boxing lead to its own demise. By no means am I saying its dead, but its fading fast while MMA is steadily rising.
  19. Diamond Member
    JudgementDay's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,290
    Rep Power
    3567562

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime74 View Post
    Im a big fan of both sports. Both have amazing skill sets of their own. MMA is so much more diverse, giving the fighter much more to worry about. Which is technical is its own way. Because you dont know if the guy will punch, kick, knee, or take you down for G&P or to set up a sub. In boxing its much more artful since all you use is footwork, body movement, and your hands.

    Overall I prefer MMA but a great boxing fight is tough to beat by a top MMA fight. I miss the old days when you seen great fights and fighters on free TV. I remember watching my favorite fighter Thomas Hitman Hearns on Wide World of Sports. Boxing lead to its own demise. By no means am I saying its dead, but its fading fast while MMA is steadily rising.

    Agreed!

    Guys like Tommy Hearns, Ray leonard, marvin hagler, Tyson Watching guys like them box is entertaining, time to time I still have to watch some good old boxing matches on youtube.

    But the last few fights I've seen with Mayweather I just can't get into it.
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

    If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Objectively speaking, the UFC has dominated boxing in pay-per-view buyrates, revenue, and television ratings over the past three-and-a-half years. Unless there is some other measure of popularity that I am unaware of - one obviously not related to the purchasing behavior of consumers who endorse a given sport - that particular point is moot. UFC is, for and at the moment, more popular, successful, and profitable than boxing. (I would say MMA in-general, here, but truthfully speaking the UFC commands this attention moreso than all the other promotions combined.)

    This owes itself to many factors, not the least of which being the [at best] tepid state of boxing's heavyweight division, the inability of major promoters to capitalize on the largest fight(s) currently possible (Pacquiao/Mayweather) and the abject failure of boxing as a sport to remain relevant in the contemporary sports narrative. Fairly or not, boxing has come to be seen as antiquated, and the consequence is an increasingly aging demographic who is less inclined to purchase, and who is therefore unable to keep boxing "popular."

    As for the argument on tradition, I find this an ineffective rubric for measuring the worth of a particular sport. Competitive chess, and ringette, and lacrosse have their traditions, does this mean they captivate the current sports audience? A feat, again, that is necessary to proclaim something as "popular." Tradition is a function of time as much as it is quality and we cannot project hypothetically forward in time in order to assess a thing's current popularity.

    As for Lesnar and the amount of pro fights, I believe I did a summation of similar phenomenon in boxing on the previous page.
  21. New Member
    primetime74's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    109

    Reputation

    I think the decline in boxing is because everything is a PPV now or you have to have HBO or Showtime to watch the more known fighters. I love boxing but neither channel is close to being worth price to watch a good fight once or twice a month. As I mentioned in 80s and earlier you got the best fighters in the world fighting on network TV for free. ESPN only showcases up and commers with an ocassional semi big name.

    With the UFC they have a PPV every month and or free shows sometimes. So its a bit easier to follow the UFC. Most people call MMA, Ultimate Fighting.
  22. New Member
    TheWriting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    109

    Reputation

    With MMA around there will never be a Tyson and without heavyweights like Tyson boxing will slowly fall honestly. It is a shame but frankly you have a better career in MMA. With boxing you lose once and you're done practically except for those select few.
  23. Advanced Member
    Motox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    790
    Rep Power
    19689

    Reputation

    Can anyone name an MMA fight that was as entertaining as Pacman's last two fights?
  24. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime74 View Post
    I think the decline in boxing is because everything is a PPV now or you have to have HBO or Showtime to watch the more known fighters. I love boxing but neither channel is close to being worth price to watch a good fight once or twice a month. As I mentioned in 80s and earlier you got the best fighters in the world fighting on network TV for free. ESPN only showcases up and commers with an ocassional semi big name.

    With the UFC they have a PPV every month and or free shows sometimes. So its a bit easier to follow the UFC. Most people call MMA, Ultimate Fighting.
    You hit the nail on the head. MMA reaches more households, because boxing requires the purchase of "premium" subscriptions in order to watch the matches. What is the average cost of a boxing ppv vs an MMA ppv? Based on that scale, it doesn't require much common sense to determine which generates more money. Additionally, MMA has a PPV event basically every month, boxing offers 2-3 max a year.

    As previously stated, boxing has a long standing tradition, boasting athletes who have gone on to become national icons, such as Muhammad Ali. MMA has a long way to go before it steeps itself in that kind of tradition. Its most popular attraction was a guy who use to jump off a turnbuckle against guys named "The Undertaker", and then tried out for every sport short of badminton before he found one that actually stuck. Pac's last two fights generated more money for him in a year, than most MMA fighters will see in a career. MMA is popular "now", let's see how that holds up years from now, then you can draw a proper comparison, until then boxing by TKO.

    Since the UFC is privately held and does not release revenue reports, then who knows how much they are actually generating? I've heard numbers that are all over the place.
  25. Advanced Member
    Motox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    790
    Rep Power
    19689

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. MMA reaches more households, because boxing requires the purchase of "premium" subscriptions in order to watch the matches. What is the average cost of a boxing ppv vs an MMA ppv? Based on that scale, it doesn't require much common sense to determine which generates more money. Additionally, MMA has a PPV event basically every month, boxing offers 2-3 max a year.

    As previously stated, boxing has a long standing tradition, boasting athletes who have gone on to become national icons, such as Muhammad Ali. MMA has a long way to go before it steeps itself in that kind of tradition. Its most popular attraction was a guy who use to jump off a turnbuckle against guys named "The Undertaker", and then tried out for every sport short of badminton before he found one that actually stuck. Pac's last two fights generated more money for him in a year, than most MMA fighters will see in a career. MMA is popular "now", let's see how that holds up years from now, then you can draw a proper comparison, until then boxing by TKO.

    Since the UFC is privately held and does not release revenue reports, then who knows how much they are actually generating? I've heard numbers that are all over the place.


    Mayweather vs marquez generated 1 mill pp buys, it takes 5 ufc fights to generate that. MMA will never be a sport until Dana White steps down. MMA fighters are fast food fighters; it takes a year to build a pro mma fighter instead of the ten years it takes to build a pro boxer
  26. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Motox View Post
    Mayweather vs marquez generated 1 mill pp buys, it takes 5 ufc fights to generate that. MMA will never be a sport until Dana White steps down. MMA fighters are fast food fighters; it takes a year to build a pro mma fighter instead of the ten years it takes to build a pro boxer
    I just don't see how a proper comparison can be made between two distinctly different sports, with entirely different business models. I don't pretend to understand MMA and have no issue admitting that. To my eyes it looks like something you see at a bar at around 2am, with some frat guys suffering from aggression issues, while simultaneusly enjoying the feeling of rolling shirtless or in affliction t-shirt together, but hey that's just me. I'm kidding of course! I think MMA offers exciting packaging and it's marketed well to young kids, for that I give Dana credit.
  27. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Motox View Post
    Mayweather vs marquez generated 1 mill pp buys, it takes 5 ufc fights to generate that. MMA will never be a sport until Dana White steps down. MMA fighters are fast food fighters; it takes a year to build a pro mma fighter instead of the ten years it takes to build a pro boxer
    I just don't see how a proper comparison can be made between two distinctly different sports, with entirely different business models. I don't pretend to understand MMA and have no issue admitting that. To my eyes it looks like something you see at a bar at around 2am, with some frat guys suffering from aggression issues, while simultaneously enjoying the feeling of rolling around shirtless or in an affliction t-shirt together, but hey that's just me. I'm kidding of course! I think MMA offers exciting packaging and it's marketed well to young kids, for that I give Dana credit.
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    I just don't see how a proper comparison can be made between two distinctly different sports, with entirely different business models. I don't pretend to understand MMA and have no issue admitting that. To my eyes it looks like something you see at a bar at around 2am, with some frat guys suffering from aggression issues, while simultaneously enjoying the feeling of rolling around shirtless or in an affliction t-shirt together, but hey that's just me. I'm kidding of course! I think MMA offers exciting packaging and it's marketed well to young kids, for that I give Dana credit.
    To ramble on unabated about something you know so little about is truly impressive, sir!
  29. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    To ramble on unabated about something you know so little about is truly impressive, sir!
    Or conversely, someone who consistently attempts to intellectualize trivial topics is also quite impressive in their own right.
  30. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Motox View Post
    Can anyone name an MMA fight that was as entertaining as Pacman's last two fights?
    Hmmm, let's see...

    Swanson/Semrzier
    Jung/Garcia
    Akiyama/Leben
    Homonick/Jabouin

    And that's all this year and off the top of my head.


    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. MMA reaches more households, because boxing requires the purchase of "premium" subscriptions in order to watch the matches. What is the average cost of a boxing ppv vs an MMA ppv? Based on that scale, it doesn't require much common sense to determine which generates more money. Additionally, MMA has a PPV event basically every month, boxing offers 2-3 max a year.

    As previously stated, boxing has a long standing tradition, boasting athletes who have gone on to become national icons, such as Muhammad Ali. MMA has a long way to go before it steeps itself in that kind of tradition. Its most popular attraction was a guy who use to jump off a turnbuckle against guys named "The Undertaker", and then tried out for every sport short of badminton before he found one that actually stuck. Pac's last two fights generated more money for him in a year, than most MMA fighters will see in a career. MMA is popular "now", let's see how that holds up years from now, then you can draw a proper comparison, until then boxing by TKO.

    Since the UFC is privately held and does not release revenue reports, then who knows how much they are actually generating? I've heard numbers that are all over the place.
    A boxing PPV is actually more expensive than a UFC PPV. I guess every ignorant boxing fan always loves to use Lesnar as their example to de-legitimize MMA, but they always agnore Lesnar's 15 years of wrestling experience and the fact he won a D1 National Championship.

    I hate to break it to people, but wrestling is amongst the oldest martial arts out there and is a significant part of MMA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Motox View Post
    Mayweather vs marquez generated 1 mill pp buys, it takes 5 ufc fights to generate that. MMA will never be a sport until Dana White steps down. MMA fighters are fast food fighters; it takes a year to build a pro mma fighter instead of the ten years it takes to build a pro boxer
    Please, do some research before spouting off about buy-rates of PPV.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Lesnar was the number one PPV draw in the UFC. The most recent PPV numbers substantiate that, however, since the UFC is a privately held company, we aren't privy to the actual numbers. I was simply offering some perspective on how Lesnar was marketed. I saw some individuals taking a swipe at boxing, and clearly they don't understand the sport, much in the same way I admit to not fully understanding MMA. I've attended live events with respect to both sports. Again - both sports offer something unique. UFC does in fact hold the record for PPV, however, that doesn't tell the whole story relative to revenue.

    http://www.mmanewsleak.com/mma-busin...he-numbers/292
  32. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Or conversely, someone who consistently attempts to intellectualize trivial topics is also quite impressive in their own right.
    Exactly! I wonder who would do such a thing?

    Fair point, however, boxers are brought along slowly to maximize their potential, more so than to simply pad their records. As an example, Fernando Vargas was thrown into the lion's den after having only 20 pro bouts to his name, against the likes of Felix Tito Trinidad; and consequently was never the same after that. If he were given the chance to mature both mentally and physically, presumably he could have gone down as one of the best fighters of his generation, based solely on his talent level. Boxers have a short lifespan to maximize both their potential and their pocket books.

    I agree that MMA is more popular in certain areas of the world, however, if you have one of their countryman fighting for a title in boxing, it will capture their imagination and the entire country, much like Manny Pac has. More over he doesn't speak English, yet was still granted an SI cover, and was a first seat guest on Leno, Letterman and Kimmel. Some of the biggest fights in boxing history were fought internationally, in places like Manila and Zaire. Everyone has heard of the "Thrilla in Manila", not so sure everyone has heard about "Lesnar/Couture". History speaks to my general point.

    I think MMA has it's place. To argue that it's more popular than boxing, would need to be argued in context, given that it's only been given a mainstream outlet in the past few years. It would need another 20 to justify that argument while steeping itself in tradition, much like Muhammad Ali, Tyson and Leonard among many others have come to define boxing and become A-List celebrities outside of their respective sport.
  33. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387264

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Exactly! I wonder who would do such a thing?
    In that vein perhaps we should perhaps both raise our hands. =)
  34. New Member
    iron fists's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    118

    Reputation

    pacman is the only savior boxing has right now. without him... fight fans will slowly transfer over to mma. the love of the science of boxing keeps boxing fans loyal...but thats because they understand boxing...mma is new, and the knowledge is growing daily, so as the fans become more educated the the faster it grows..
  35. 416
    New Member
    416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    103

    Reputation

    I have seen this discussion so many times and do not really get it.It is like saying which is better (american) football or rugby.Two totally different sports (which has already been stated).I like most sports and most combat sports. I do not get why people who prefer boxing have to say anything other than that they prefer boxing.I don't know that I have ever heard someone who prefered mma to boxing attack boxing until mma was first attacked.

    Anyone can talk about technique but the fact is perfect technique will change on where and how to hold your hands if you are strictly boxing or if you have to worry about someone shooting on you.And shooting technique and how you set it up will change if you have to deal with the possibility of being guillotined.

    And the class thing, really? Ask someone who likes tennis how classy they think boxing is.Not to mention did not one of the best boxers in the heavy weight division bite someones ear off in the ring.
  36. Banned
    LITUPisMIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Boxing hands down.
  37. New Member
    Artdawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I can't wait to see Randy Couture beat James Toney, then no one can say boxing guys can beat MMA guys...and I would love to see Mayweather fight the guys he has with 4 oz gloves.
    James toney! Ha! He's been bottom rank for years yet he still mops the floor with any top ufc fighters in a boxing match! A boxer has better chances in mma than any mma fighters in boxing even with b class competition.nuff said.
  38. New Member
    Turfman's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    I've done both on an amateur level, so if Im watching I'd prefer MMA, if I'm particpating I'll take boxing....less likely to get my ass kicked, literally
  39. oli
    Advanced Member
    oli's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    701
    Rep Power
    13121

    Reputation

    Both. MMA & Boxing. But I can't stand to watch sloppy fighting [not that I'm any good]. Gotta love them quick left hooks & uppercuts. Fav. fighters: Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Mike Tyson, Pacquiao, GSP, Anderson Silva, Quinton Jackson
  40. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,391
    Rep Power
    986728

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    this arguement could wage on for years
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best PH for Boxing
    By Dazl1212 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM
  2. BBing and boxing?
    By MHA in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
  3. boxing
    By bosco in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 04:29 PM
  4. IGF-1 and Boxing
    By Mr.50 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 05:04 PM
  5. Boxing with bodybuilding?
    By hypo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in