College Athlete tests results seem B.S.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
so i was just look at information on the draft and see This

USC saftey Taylor Mays 4.25 40, Power Clean 410, Squat 710, Bench 450.. It says he benched 225 for 29 reps.. however i find it ironic how some of these guys go to the combine and hit way less. I can gurantee he will hit less than 29 reps.. it just seems like these tests are shady..

ALso OSU had a guy Mike Kudla who benched 610 and was suppose to break the combine record of 225 reps at 43 easily.. yet he only managed to tie it?

anyone else think of #s that didnt match up like this? here is another

Jason Phillips, TCU, LB: 234-pound Phillips, a former high school QB, has a squat of 710 pounds, a power clean of 410 pounds and a bench press of 450 pounds. yet he only benched 225 x 20 at his combine..

Ive seen a 160 pound guy at my gym do 225 x 15 after doing heavy incline bench. and he can sniff a 450 flat bench press on a max day.... Im not one of those haters that say every ATHLETIC strength training should use strict powerlifting forms etc... i know there lifting for a sport so that stuff shouldnt matter if someone hits 225 x 25 boncing and plays football its still more impressive then a roided up BB doing 225 x 25 with amazing form.. Just because there job is to play a sport not to perform perfect reps.. however these campus tests really bug me. i doubt any of these are accurate..

on a sidenote however i bet tebow breaks the quinns record for bench press reps at the combine ;).. he hit 185 x 38 outta HS as a QB!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Youre just now figuring out colleges pump up the stats for their players a whole lot?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Youre just now figuring out colleges pump up the stats for their players a whole lot?
i mean i figured they did for height and weight but i thought people would catch on when they list someone benching 700 and he can only rep 225 for 15 lol

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I knew they fudged numbers, but I still don't know to what extent.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Most likely exaggerated...kudla was ridiculous though. Who knows...30-40 reps are a lot different than maxing out. Taylor mays is a ridiculous athlete, but mostly hype IMHO

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
Of course they pump up their number for their athletes.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i mean i figured they did for height and weight but i thought people would catch on when they list someone benching 700 and he can only rep 225 for 15 lol
its all muscle stamina too ya no. i can put up 430 on bench for a max, and can do 225 10-12 times. its all how you train also.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
its all muscle stamina too ya no. i can put up 430 on bench for a max, and can do 225 10-12 times. its all how you train also.
i hear you on that i use to not be able to hit 225 for more than 2 till i maxd 260... my friends can out rep me i can out max them.. but this stuff they post is ridic... but reggie bush benchign 455, squatting 650 like come on.. they make him sound like a elite powerlifter

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I don't see that legitimately happening either, please.
adding to this thread the big DT Ndomkanah SUh from nebraska, all the experts love him wait for his bench to be blown way outta perportion i just saw a clip of him barely getting up 405 with a bonce... and remember hes about 300 lbs...