1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.41%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    I don't know when athletes became the moral compass of society. It's time for people to look elsewhere for their inspiration!!

Such as whom? Who gets more media coverage than celebs? Media controls the mass's brains!

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.55%

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    I don't know when athletes became the moral compass of society. It's time for people to look elsewhere for their inspiration!!
    agree...but kids and even myself back in the day looked up to many athletes cuz I/we are into sports and this dumb arse just does not show good character after portraying the "good" guy for many yrs...

I personally didn't like him even after when he first turned pro...never showed respect to his opponent after he beat him…can’t remember his name...
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    Such as whom? Who gets more media coverage than celebs? Media controls the mass's brains!
    Umm how about the kids parents, teacher, youth pastor, doctor, uncle who is a archetiect, etc.. There are many people a young kid could look up to depending on their family sorrounding and these should be the people they look up to not some guy on tv hitting a ball with a stick. How about parents stop having tv raise their kids and teach them values themselves... Just a thought I could be just some crazy person
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Umm how about the kids parents, teacher, youth pastor, doctor, uncle who is a archetiect, etc.. There are many people a young kid could look up to depending on their family sorrounding and these should be the people they look up to not some guy on tv hitting a ball with a stick. How about parents stop having tv raise their kids and teach them values themselves... Just a thought I could be just some crazy person
    If I was on my computer I would rep that post, first post I've read in a while that deserved it.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.87%

As a kid, I followed the work ethic of my father and mother (six kids, little education for borh) but they made sure we went to college and graduated, some with honors and two hold phd's. This doesn't make us any better than whomever but it shows that inspiration can come from the parents regardless.
    I can understand the ones that have parents that allow anything, hell I had a lady tell me that she gives her daughter her ID to get into clubs because she's 16? WowJ

So yeah, if the parents are lack luster then the kids have to look elsewhere for direction. However, we need follow the positives that these people do and learn them to not follow the negatives.

If mick vick runs into a burning building to save a baby then great, follow that example (not saying run into a burning building, exactly) but if mick vick is burning dogs, learn that this is not acceptable behavior.

But, as long as the media glorifies unacceptable behavior then kids will be drawn to it.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

The problems with role models are that people take one area they excel in and apply it to the complete persona. I think people should be chosen by what they do well at and be taught to recognize to know the difference in what to emulate. You can pick a family member, a local friend or a wealthy star/athlete and any combination thereof and still end up screwed up and let down if you're not taught that a person isn't necessarily living the perfect life because they made a lot of money or do something well.

Guy A donates to charities and done tons of volunteer work but ends up being charged with spousal abuse. Does this suddenly make his charity work fruitless or any less important because he was a screw up in other parts of his life? No, just be smart enough to know that you can learn something positive from his charity work as well as learn an important lesson about his home life.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.87%

^Well put!
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.25%

He is still the best golfer in the world. They aren't paying him all this money for what he does off the links. I think people should mind their own business. The only person who deserves an apology from Tiger is his wife.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.71%

Some great thoughts in here. Hopefully, as others have said, it will be a lesson and a slap in the face for people who think that celebrities and athletes should be role models of morality for kids. What nonsense. Jayhawkk I totally agree with what you posted about recognizing what to emulate. It's common sense.

Yeah, the story about what's gone on in his personal life is juicy but does it make me feel any different about Tiger Woods as a golfer? Not really. In fact, I think I'm going to go and buy a few bottles of his Gatorade product and relable it as "F*%# Fuel".

Similar Forum Threads

1. tiger Balm Or Ice hot.....
    By medic620 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
  2. Federer vs. Woods.
    By Mulletsoldier in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
  3. Tiger Woods Overrated ???
    By anabolicrhino in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 0