Jeter on cusp of Yankees' hits record

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jeter on cusp of Yankees' hits record-Shortstop four shy of breaking Gehrig's franchise mark

Jeter on cusp of Yankees' hits record
Shortstop four shy of breaking Gehrig's franchise mark

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com
Derek Jeter grew up worshipping the rich history of the Yankees, studying the championship rosters from seasons when flannel uniforms and sleeper cars were still considered the norms of big league life.

Four World Series titles and thousands of at-bats later, Jeter has worn the Yankees uniform with aplomb, not only starring as one of the franchise's modern-day talents, but earning his place in standing with the all-time greats.

Yet still somewhere within his 35-year-old frame is the young boy from Michigan who leafed through baseball biographies and followed his favorite club from afar. He may soon glance at the leaders for most hits in franchise history and spot his name ahead of Lou Gehrig's. That reality will be difficult to accept.

"It's not something that you sit around and think about, you know what I mean?" Jeter said. "I think that's something that you think about later on. While we're playing, I don't really get a chance to sit around and collect someone's place in history."

The statistics show that there is no debate that Jeter belongs. His name is as synonymous to the teams of the 1990s and this decade as Babe Ruth and Gehrig were to theirs, destined to someday share company in Monument Park with the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

Jeter boarded a charter flight from Toronto to New York late Sunday owning 2,718 hits in a Yankees uniform, needing just three more to tie Gehrig's final total of 2,721. Four hits will have Jeter eclipse the Iron Horse, standing alone and continuing to build upon a tally that quite possibly could never be shattered again.

"You're going to look at Derek Jeter's name and see him on top of the list of all the great Yankees players who have played," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "You look at guys like Yogi [Berra] who come through the clubhouse, and Reggie [Jackson] and Whitey [Ford]. That's pretty unbelievable."

The company makes it all the more uncomfortable at times for Jeter, who has often said that personal accomplishments and achievements are not important when compared to team goals. For him, that is winning the World Series, the goal that fuels him from the first day of Spring Training to the last day of the season.

The attention surrounding an individual record, as hallowed as it may be, is glaring even to a media-tested superstar like Jeter. Yet his parents, Dr. Charles and Dorothy Jeter, have urged the 10-time All-Star to try to enjoy these events as each one passes.

"It's always been hard, just because we're trying to win games, so that's the only thing I think about," Jeter said. "If and when this comes about, then maybe I'll try to enjoy it for a minute."

Jeter's use of the word "if" only further belies his nature. Already having eclipsed Mantle's 8,102 at-bats, Jeter's .317 career batting average ranks fifth on New York's ledger, behind Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Earle Combs.

All-time Yankees hit leaders
Derek Jeter is on the verge of surpassing Lou Gehrig and setting the record for most hits by a Yankee. Here are the top 10 Yankees leaders in hits.
No.- - - Player - - - Games - - Hits
1. Lou Gehrig - - 2,164 - - 2,721
2. Derek Jeter - - 2,115 - - 2,718
3. Babe Ruth - - 2,084 - - 2,518
4. Mickey Mantle -2,401 - - 2,415
5. Bernie Williams -2,076 - - 2,336
6. Joe DiMaggio - 1,736 - - 2,214
7. Don Mattingly - 1,785 - - 2,153
8. Yogi Berra - - - 2,116 - - 2,148
9. Bill Dickey - - - 1,789 - - 1,969
10. Earle Combs 1,456 - - 1,866

He needs 28 steals to break Rickey Henderson's club stolen base record and he could break Mantle's record for most games played near the end of the 2011 season. In short, he has had the type of career worth celebrating, yet finds it awkward to do so.

"It's not in his nature, at all," said David Cone, a former teammate and current YES Network broadcaster. "Jeter has always been about the next at-bat, the next game, putting things behind you and moving on. Keeping your eye on the ball, so to speak. I can understand why his family is telling him to stop and enjoy this a little bit, because this is a pretty remarkable achievement."

"I sure hope he can appreciate it," teammate Johnny Damon adds. "It's a big thing, being the Yankees' all-time hits leader. He's not into all the stats except possibly winning another world championship, but it's a tremendous feat he's coming up to. He'd rather have a fifth ring, but I think when the season is over or when his career is over, he will appreciate it."

Certainly, Jeter's monumental moment will be a happier tale than that of Gehrig's 2,721st hit, coming just before he benched himself with fading skills on May 2, 1939, unaware that the degenerative disease to bear his name was ravaging his muscular body.

His life marked by grace, courage and a farewell speech that still resonates among the greatest in American history, Gehrig would pass away by June 1941, just shy of his 38th birthday. It is a time when Jeter expects to be continuing his march toward 3,000 hits and Cooperstown, while still playing shortstop for the Yankees.

"I know a little bit, just from being a fan of the Yankees growing up," Jeter said. "The thing with [Gehrig] is consistency. He went out there and played every day and was consistent. Sometimes that's something that gets overlooked, but it's hard to do. I think that's the thing that stands out the most with him."

Jonathan Eig, author of a critically acclaimed 2005 Gehrig biography titled "Luckiest Man," believes that Gehrig would not have only approved of Jeter's upcoming standing atop the hits list, but would have considered Jeter a worthy successor of the Yankees captainship.

"I think Gehrig would have loved Jeter -- personally and professionally," Eig said. "Gehrig didn't have a lot of friends, but I suspect Jeter's the kind of guy Lou would have invited home to have dinner with the folks. And he certainly would have been proud to see Jeter step in as captain and handle the job so gracefully."

Despite their differing eras, Eig was able to draw parallels between Gehrig and Jeter, citing their shared obsession with winning and leading by example.

"[Gehrig] wasn't one to holler at teammates or criticize anyone in public," Eig said. "But he carried himself in a classy, professional way -- entirely different from Babe Ruth -- and the younger players followed him. DiMaggio was hugely influenced by Gehrig's quiet leadership. I think a case can be made that the entire Yankee image or calm, cool, ruthless competitiveness can be traced directly to Gehrig.

"And Jeter fits the mold perfectly -- better than any player since DiMaggio. Jeter and Gehrig had a great deal in common. They were quiet off the field. They avoided scandal. They played for the team first and for individual records second. They performed brilliantly in the clutch. And they were winners."

Along with George Steinbrenner, Jeter has done as much as anyone since 1996 to fuel the notion that a Yankees October without a championship is akin to a lost season. Perhaps therein lies one major difference between Gehrig and Jeter.

"Gehrig was not entirely unconcerned with his numbers," Eig said. "He loved the consecutive game streak and nurtured it proudly. And he wanted badly to be the league's leader in RBIs each year. He was a fierce competitor above all, and, let's face it, numbers are one more way of competing.

"He wanted as many records as he could get, and though Jeter might be too modest to admit it, I'm sure he's proud of topping Gehrig's record for hits. And he should be."

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He is how baseball should be played and how a true yankee behaves. Happy for him

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
He will also be the first Yankee to 3000 hits. When you think of all the great players and records that have come from the Yankees, that's pretty amazing.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jeter elated to share feat with parents Their support, guidance shaped Yankees star's character

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

09/11/09 2:00 AM ET

NEW YORK -- In the hours after Derek Jeter tied Lou Gehrig on the Yankees' all-time hit list Wednesday, Jeter spoke of two people who had been camped out in New York all week, watching his every at-bat since Monday.

"They've always been supportive of me in everything I've done," Jeter said of his father, Dr. Charles Jeter, and his mother Dorothy. "It means a lot for me to be able to share the experience with them, so I'm happy that I'm able to do it here at home."

Fans will be able to follow the journey as well. MLB.com will carry all of Jeter's at-bats live until he passes Gehrig.

Jeter's parents will remain in New York as long it takes for him to become the Yankees' all-time hit king. Just as various managers and hitting coaches have helped mold Jeter the hitter throughout the past two decades, Charles and Dorothy have molded Jeter the person.

And Jeter's steady leadership and classy persona have never been ignored within the Yankees family.

His manicured public image and the polished commentary that helps to craft it are just as recognizable as the way he digs into the batter's box, his right hand extended and requesting time from the umpire, or the classic jump-throw to first base from deep onto the outfield grass.

Since arriving on the big league scene as a full-time player in 1996, Jeter has commanded a certain respect throughout the game, earning laudatory praise from within the Yankees organization and around the Major Leagues. In an era where superstar athletes have struggled to adjust to the exponential growth of media coverage, Jeter has remained above the fray.

"I don't think it's a situation where I'm mindful of it because of what I'm doing," Jeter said. "How I am is how I am. It's not like I'm trying to be a certain way just because I'm playing baseball.

"I pretty much think I've been the same person since Day 1, so I don't look at it as though I've changed. I think you learn more throughout the years, but I try to think that I'd be the same way regardless of what I'm doing."

Jeter's strong makeup has often been credited to his family values. Jeter's parents worked to ensure that their children would grow up with the character to allow them to be successful, no matter what career paths they followed.

Long before Jeter made his first dollar as a professional athlete, he was under contract -- to his parents, who had him sign a deal at the dawn of every school year in their Kalamazoo, Mich., home, outlining his academic goals and curfews. For the most part, Jeter attacked those tasks with the same discipline he does Major League pitching today.

All-time Yankees hit leaders
Derek Jeter is on the verge of surpassing Lou Gehrig and setting the record for most hits by a Yankee. Here are the top 10 Yankees leaders in hits.
No.

Player

Games

Hits
T1. Lou Gehrig 2,164 2,721
T1. Derek Jeter 2,119 2,721
3. Babe Ruth 2,084 2,518
4. Mickey Mantle 2,401 2,415
5. Bernie Williams 2,076 2,336
6. Joe DiMaggio 1,736 2,214
7. Don Mattingly 1,785 2,153
8. Yogi Berra 2,116 2,148
9. Bill ****ey 1,789 1,969
10. Earle Combs 1,456 1,866

He did pretty well attacking the pitching in high school, as well, batting .508 (30-for-59) as a senior and .557 as a junior. He was elected into the Kalamazoo Central High School Athletic Hall of Fame in 2007.

"From interviewing some of the people who knew Jeter since he was in high school, I think Jeter was preparing himself to be who he has become back then," said Jack Curry, a New York Times baseball reporter who collaborated with Jeter on his 2001 autobiography, "The Life You Imagine."

"Even if Jeter was 'Derek Jeter, accountant,' today instead of 'Derek Jeter, Yankee shortstop,' I think he would still have the same kind of personality. Jeter has repeatedly said that he didn't want to make mistakes in his life because he didn't want to disappoint his parents. While some people say that just to say it, I think Jeter said it and actually lives it."

It just so happened that Jeter realized his childhood dream of playing shortstop for the Yankees, not that it happened overnight. There were tearful telephone calls home in the summer of 1993, when Jeter committed 56 errors in a Minor League season and wondered if he could make it. The discussions these days are more confident, but the phone still rings without fail.

"Every day we talk," Jeter said. "I think everyone needs people in their lives that are going to be honest with them. My parents aren't going to tell me necessarily what I want to hear, you know what I mean? They're going to give me their honest opinion. They're the first ones that I go to about anything if I need advice or help in any situation."

The job description -- star shortstop for the New York Yankees -- comes with unlimited distractions and temptations. Jeter has certainly had his taste, keeping city paparazzi busy for years with an unintentionally high-profile dating life. Jeter never asked for that spotlight, but he understands that it's part of the package, and so he has adapted.

"A big part of Derek is his honesty of his feelings," said Dodgers manager Joe Torre, Jeter's manager from 1996 through 2007. "He'll never look for an alibi if he didn't have success. He speaks honestly. He doesn't have prepared remarks. He doesn't concern himself with how it comes out. He speaks from the heart.

"Pretty much what he says is right on. Nowadays we spend so much time with TV highlights and a lot of our communication smacks of hokeyness. That's not Derek."

Team-by-team hit leaders
Here is a look at the hit leaders for all 30 Major League clubs, through games of Sept. 9, 2009:
Team

Player

Hits
Tigers Ty Cobb* 3,900
Cardinals Stan Musial* 3,630
Braves Hank Aaron* 3,600
Red Sox Carl Yastrzemski* 3,419
Reds Pete Rose 3,358
Giants Willie Mays* 3,187
Orioles Cal Ripken Jr.* 3,184
Royals George Brett* 3,154
Brewers/Pilots Robin Yount* 3,142
Padres Tony Gwynn* 3,141
Astros Craig Biggio 3,060
Pirates Roberto Clemente* 3,000
Cubs Cap Anson* 2,995
Twins/Senators Sam Rice* 2,889
Dodgers Zack Wheat* 2,804
White Sox Luke Appling* 2,749
Yankees Lou Gehrig*/Derek Jeter 2,721
Angels Garret Anderson 2,368
Mariners Edgar Martinez 2,247
Phillies Mike Schmidt* 2,234
Rockies Todd Helton 2,113
Indians Napoleon Lajoie* 2,046
Athletics Bert Campaneris 1,882
Rangers/Senators Ivan Rodriguez 1,738
Nationals/Expos Tim Wallach 1,694
Blue Jays Tony Fernandez 1,583
Mets Ed Kranepool 1,418
D-backs Luis Gonzalez 1,337
Marlins Luis Castillo 1,273
Rays Carl Crawford 1,274
* Member of the Hall of Fame

Jorge Posada, arguably Jeter's closest friend on the Yankees, agrees on the topic of why Jeter has been able to maintain his positive public image for so long in the media capital of the world.

"Great parents and he's well-thought," Posada said. "He thinks about everything before he does it. I don't think he wants to embarrass the organization or embarrass himself and his parents. He thinks about everything."

And he has been able to laugh at himself. When George Steinbrenner came down on Jeter for enjoying New York too much one night during the 2002 season, they filmed a memorable credit card commercial together in May 2003 that ended with the shortstop and the principal owner dancing in the same conga line.

Soon after, Steinbrenner made a snap decision during an Interleague series in Cincinnati and awarded Jeter the Yankees' captainship, a leadership role he continues to take great pride in.

"I think if you're in the position you're in, you should take it seriously," Jeter said. "I think you also have to be who you are. I don't think you can try to fool people. In time, the truth will come out, so I never try to act a certain way. I just act how I am as a person. You try to be positive, but I don't think you can fool people for an extended period of time."

Joe Girardi, the Yankees' current manager and a former teammate of Jeter's, said that he remembers quickly seeing something special in the young infielder.

"Very early on, you could see that his character was of very high standard," Girardi said. "When you have that type of character and that type of ability, you usually become a leader.

"You've got to compliment his parents and the job they did raising him. The bottom line was that he had to make the good decisions. You could see right away, time after time, he made good decisions in his life. You've got to compliment Mom and Dad."

Jeter has not been shy about imparting his advice and lessons learned to others. During the World Baseball Classic in March, Jeter struck up a friendship with the Mets' David Wright, the fresh iconic face of a New York franchise -- just as Jeter once was.

Jeter said that Wright may have learned the same valuable survival tool as he once did across town in the Bronx -- to learn to say no when necessary and create time for yourself.

"There's a lot of people that may want you to do this or do that, but there's only one you," Jeter said. "You can only do so much. The one thing you have to remember is, the No. 1 priority is to play baseball. That's your job.

"You're going to be pulled in a lot of different directions, and people are going to want this from you and want that from you. You have to realize what your priority is."

Though gossip columnists delight in detailing his reported current relationship with actress Minka Kelly, as Jeter reaches the halfway marker of his second decade as a New York public figure, there have been no major scandals, no one example of a crisis that demanded the attention of a Hollywood agency to smooth over. That has not happened by accident.

"I'm not that different than anybody else," Jeter said. "I think one of the things that's important is to surround yourself with good people, you know what I mean? A lot of times, I think you look at people that get in trouble and make some wrong decisions and a lot of times, it's the people that surround them and get them into trouble.

"I just think you have to be conscious of who's around, and that's the biggest thing. But that goes for anyone."

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
some people i know don't like him for what ever reason, but you can not say with his humble comments about tying the record that he's not a class act. the humility he exhibited with the tie exemplifies his attitude on the field and from what i can tell, off the field as well.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, teh way he behaved at first base was total class. HE did not want to show up the rays, and in fact he only saluted the crowd and his family after the rays applauded him

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
some people i know don't like him for what ever reason, but you can not say with his humble comments about tying the record that he's not a class act. the humility he exhibited with the tie exemplifies his attitude on the field and from what i can tell, off the field as well.
To me, if you don't like Derek Jeter, you don't like baseball.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To me, if you don't like Derek Jeter, you don't like baseball.
agree! people who dont even follow it know Derek Jeter...hes the Icon of baseball now, and for many years to come.