Superman on roids?

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
Just an observation but am I supposed to believe that Dwight Howard is clean. His shoulders are so big that his head looks like a raisin. The announcers also said he warms up on the bench repping out 25+ with 225lbs...I know hes 7 feet tall but being 6-5 myself I can say that tall guys are usually not the best powerlifters. Not hating on him for using but when is it so obvious its just ridiculous?

A

allenzo

Awards
I believe he is clean. Look at the other guys who were his size or bigger who probably had better lifts than him but juts was not published: Shaq(Orlando days), David Robinson, Karl Malone, Kevin Willis, and Alonzo Morning. About a month ago when I started training like that I was at 20 reps at 225. I am not saying that they are or are not on steroids. I am just saying Dwight Howards build and strength can be obtained without gear. All they have to do is train and eat for a living.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
you also have to realize that some people are just blessed with PHENOMENAL genetics, i mean i seriously doubt there are many pro athletes that will be juicing to the point of it making that great of a difference in their physique with all the controversy of steroids in sports at the moment, granted the NBA hasnt been in the spotlight as far as that goes

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I am not mistaken, the NBA's drug-policy is rather porous: one test administered to veteran players at any time during the first fifteen days after reporting to camp, and no randomized tests throughout the season. Essentially, this allots an entire season for any athlete so inclined - obviously, a substantial portion of time. This being said, DH seems to have phenomenal genetics for the shoulders.

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
You make a great point about the drug policy as well. Baseball players continue to use regardless of all the attention in their sport and the risk of getting caught so to assume that NBA players don't use when their is little to no risk is laughable. The other point is that (as far as I know) HGH and IGF-1 can only be tested by a muscle biopsy so testing is somewhat worthless anyway. I wonder what would happen if the NBA became strict like the MLB though. Would they put an asterisk next to DH's dunk contest litle?lol

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
Anyone remember earlier in the year when they were talking about how lebron put on 20-30lbs in the offseason and everytime they asked him about how much he weighed he would avoid the question or say he wasnt sure. Hmmmm.....(couldnt help myself)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Genetics. I know plenty of guys who juice and are not 6'11" :D

M

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also guys has anyone looked at the average NBA player from the 1980's vs. the average NBA player today.....? 20 years is far to short a time for evolution to play a role....LOL.....and all they were doing in those days was training and eating too (in the 80's they only made 1 bazillion dolllars rather then 10 bazillion but it was still enough so that they did not have to work in the off season).

Hey i'm not hating because if I had the chance for an NBA contract and that type of money and I needed to bulk up I would have no problem gearing up but.......lets all not be nieve. Professional sports is rampant with drug use in all sports....I can testify that professional boxing is a drug haven.....we know baseball is.......NFL isn't even worth discussing.....so why would people believe the NBA different? Its not a "sin" but lets not lie to ourselves.

Mr.50

M

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also guys has anyone looked at the average NBA player from the 1980's vs. the average NBA player today.....? 20 years is far to short a time for evolution to play a role....LOL.....and all they were doing in those days was training and eating too (in the 80's they only made 1 bazillion dolllars rather then 10 bazillion but it was still enough so that they did not have to work in the off season).

Hey i'm not hating because if I had the chance for an NBA contract and that type of money and I needed to bulk up I would have no problem gearing up but.......lets all not be nieve. Professional sports is rampant with drug use in all sports....I can testify that professional boxing is a drug haven.....we know baseball is.......NFL isn't even worth discussing.....so why would people believe the NBA different? Its not a "sin" but lets not lie to ourselves.

Mr.50

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

Mr.50
I can't say because if we just look at our own heritage, we are better versions of our grandfather or mother...maybe not mentally so to speak, but physically. Usually, that is the case but not always. But, you can usually find parents at 5'11 then the kids are 6'3. My dad was 5'7 and was rock hard at 200, my brother was 5'9 and topped out at 215 rock solid in HS...i ballooned at one point to 235 at 5'10 and was rock solidam albeit, not all muscle...My sisters are all 6'0 but my mother was only 5'9. if you look at howards mother, you can see his family has crazy genetics...
This is no lie but a family that live in my old quarters, their whole family looked like men for decades and the females Eventually, the offsprings of those younger sibilings finally started to look the gender (female). Needless to say, the offsprings, fems (who are now early 20') have been blessed with much better facial features and significant better bodies. Honestly, they all look like female fitness athletes...NONE of them work out seriously enough to attain that look and several of them DO NOT TOUCH THE WEIGHTS. So the gene pool can be tricky at times....

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
For the record, karl malone worked out with nfl players in his day ... 225 x 25 times was his best stat on bench. I think his swuat was 455 or something close x 10 times

M

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can't say because if we just look at our own heritage, we are better versions of our grandfather or mother...maybe not mentally so to speak, but physically. Usually, that is the case but not always. But, you can usually find parents at 5'11 then the kids are 6'3. My dad was 5'7 and was rock hard at 200, my brother was 5'9 and topped out at 215 rock solid in HS...i ballooned at one point to 235 at 5'10 and was rock solidam albeit, not all muscle...My sisters are all 6'0 but my mother was only 5'9. if you look at howards mother, you can see his family has crazy genetics...
This is no lie but a family that live in my old quarters, their whole family looked like men for decades and the females Eventually, the offsprings of those younger sibilings finally started to look the gender (female). Needless to say, the offsprings, fems (who are now early 20') have been blessed with much better facial features and significant better bodies. Honestly, they all look like female fitness athletes...NONE of them work out seriously enough to attain that look and several of them DO NOT TOUCH THE WEIGHTS. So the gene pool can be tricky at times....

I dont disagree that there can be great variation in height over a few generations but play an old highlight tape of the 80's NBA and play one from this year and tell me what you think?

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I damn near fell backwards when I heard them say that Shaq has yet to touch any of his laker's paychecks. He still living of off the money he made in Orlando and the shoe contracts. Damn! He's still got the Miami, Lakers, and Phoenix money yet to touch and those damn therma pad comercials, icy hott or something of that nature....Unreal

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I agree that there are significant differences with some of them. But Wilt, for his day was considered a beast, so was moses and bill russell and Sir Charles.
Magic and Larry Bird admitted that they never touched the weights when they played, other than conditioning drills. Bob Cousy, george mikan and many others have been noted saying they never really focused on weights but rather skill drills and conditioning. I think that .75 of the reason is that those guys really focused on skill set and endurance rather than weight lifting. Now a day, these guys focus on strength and size and the skills have severly dropped

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
All that being said, maybe he does juice but why on earth would you have a shoulder fetish?
I would think that he'd work on arms as well? Obviously he would focus on leg size due to his sport and wouldn't want ti limit that 40'' vertical

EDIT: I meant to say he wouldn't work on legs that much other than for explosive power.....

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established

Mr.50

my guess is this.....

most players 20+ years ago didn't think lifting weights would help them with basketball, and many probably thought it would actually hinder them. I think understanding how weight training can help in basketball is a newer phenomenon. Realistically, someone like dwight howard is a genetic outlier athletics-wise. There may be people using PEDs in the NBA, but I doubt he is one of them. IMHO, people that are 6'10 at 17 years old aren't going to grow the way we do. My guess is many of them think it'd be of little use, similar to how many thought weightlifting would make them "bulk up and slow down" in the earlier era. It's catching on some though, the Nuggest have a strength coach that has an impressive build that you can see around their bench sometimes.

H

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
my guess is this.....

most players 20+ years ago didn't think lifting weights would help them with basketball, and many probably thought it would actually hinder them. I think understanding how weight training can help in basketball is a newer phenomenon. Realistically, someone like dwight howard is a genetic outlier athletics-wise. There may be people using PEDs in the NBA, but I doubt he is one of them. IMHO, people that are 6'10 at 17 years old aren't going to grow the way we do. My guess is many of them think it'd be of little use, similar to how many thought weightlifting would make them "bulk up and slow down" in the earlier era. It's catching on some though, the Nuggest have a strength coach that has an impressive build that you can see around their bench sometimes.
Not just a thought, that's indeed fact. Watch any old film on bird, magic, cousey, russell, dr J, all of them say that they NEVER worked on lifting weights but only skill sets and conditioning. People were like all out of wack when Karl Malone came on the scene and said that he lifted all of this weight. People were looking at him like wtf for? Jordan NEVER lifted weights, and admitted it until he got the sh!t beat out of him by Detroit, then he started.

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
I think that was probably what led to alot of players bulking up. The NBA used to allow more physical play in the days of Malone,Barkley,Rodman,oakley etc. and players had to keep up. It seems like every good team had to have an "enforcer".

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I damn near fell backwards when I heard them say that Shaq has yet to touch any of his laker's paychecks. He still living of off the money he made in Orlando and the shoe contracts. Damn! He's still got the Miami, Lakers, and Phoenix money yet to touch and those damn therma pad comercials, icy hott or something of that nature....Unreal
I thought checks expire after 180 days lol

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't surprise me at all of The King and Howard were both on the sauce. LeBron is a shredded 270 lbs at 6' 8" and he does insane amounts of cardio on a daily basis. To keep that type of weight, strength, size, etc thoughout the season....I don't know. Not saying it's impossible, but it just wouldn't surprise me.

Howard's a friggin horse. Handles some weight pretty easily here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lek3aSbUsUM"]YouTube - Orlando Magic Dwight Howard Shows How To Bench Press[/ame]

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
I wish T-Mac would have juiced. Maybe he wouldn't have been such a fragile vagina being injured so easily.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wish T-Mac would have juiced. Maybe he wouldn't have been such a fragile vagina being injured so easily.
Word...playing in Houston, he coulda hooked up with Tejada's peeps. HGH'd up and spent less time on the DL. :usa:

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't surprise me at all of The King and Howard were both on the sauce. LeBron is a shredded 270 lbs at 6' 8" and he does insane amounts of cardio on a daily basis. To keep that type of weight, strength, size, etc thoughout the season....I don't know. Not saying it's impossible, but it just wouldn't surprise me.

Howard's a friggin horse. Handles some weight pretty easily here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lek3aSbUsUM
Who is this "King" you speak of Dub???

I know there is a "prince" in Cleveland.NO King though:sgrin:

I wouldn't be so quick to say they are juicin.Especially Howard,unless he's a monumental fake!
When you get to there level,and have a personal trainer and chef,what the hell is there left to do,but AP,ball,eat&w/out?

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LeBron is indeed The King. As a basketball player and a fan who's watched the tail end of Magic and Bird's careers and Jordan's entire prime........LeBron is to be mentioned in the same breath. You can nitpick if you'd like, but I've never seen anything like him. The combination of size, strength, speed, vertical leap, court vision, everything...unreal.

OK, I'll stop "using his testicles as a tire swing" now. :sad:

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LeBron is indeed The King. As a basketball player and a fan who's watched the tail end of Magic and Bird's careers and Jordan's entire prime........LeBron is to be mentioned in the same breath. You can nitpick if you'd like, but I've never seen anything like him. The combination of size, strength, speed, vertical leap, court vision, everything...unreal.

Thanks Dub,

You PROVED my WHOLE point:sgrin:

What do Magic,Bird & MJ ALL have in common???

A JEWELRY collection...Nuff said my broham!

Hey.The prince does have mad dunking skills and some funny commercials though:lol:

What makes him the King? King of what???

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
I think LeBron is just one of those freaks of nature. Hell, look at him when he was drafted.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LeBron is indeed The King. As a basketball player and a fan who's watched the tail end of Magic and Bird's careers and Jordan's entire prime........KOBE is to be mentioned in the same breath. You can nitpick if you'd like, but I've never seen anything like him. The combination of size, strength, speed, vertical leap, court vision, everything...unreal.

Fixed it for you homey:sgrin:

See KOBE insert.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dub,

You PROVED my WHOLE point:sgrin:

What do Magic,Bird & MJ ALL have in common???

A JEWELRY collection...Nuff said my broham!

Hey.The prince does have mad dunking skills and some funny commercials though:lol:

What makes him the King? King of what???
Don't give me the "dunking skills" garbage when you know Lebron this year scored more Points Per Game than Kobe, more Rebounds Per Game than Kobe, more Assists Per Game than Kobe more Blocks Per Game than Kobe, more Steals Per Game than Kobe and shot a higher % than Kobe...all while leading the sh!tty Cavs to the best record in the NBA. He's not just some physical freak who can run and jump. The dude is a man among boys on the court, plays the game on another level.

As for the rings...yup, that's the only thing separating him from the all-time greats. Good thing for him, he's only 24 years old.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't give me the "dunking skills" garbage when you know Lebron this year scored more Points Per Game than Kobe, more Rebounds Per Game than Kobe, more Assists Per Game than Kobe more Blocks Per Game than Kobe, more Steals Per Game than Kobe and shot a higher % than Kobe...all while leading the sh!tty Cavs to the best record in the NBA. He's not just some physical freak who can run and jump. The dude is a man among boys on the court, plays the game on another level.

As for the rings...yup, that's the only thing separating him from the all-time greats. Good thing for him, he's only 24 years old.
GOT 4?

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/05/kobe-tells-lebron-his-championship-rings-are-like-delicious-cookies/....+1!!!!!

Think the prince would trade his "me" stats for ONE ring???

Attachments

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude...whats your deal? "me stats"? He averaged damn near a triple double!

I have no anti-Kobe agenda. Kobe is flat-out awesome. He's an assassin, a killer. I'm not anti-Jordan either. MJ is the best of all time. I'm just giving credit where it's due. I've been playing and watching basketball for almost my entire life and I'm in awe of what LBJ is capable of. I think the whole "witness" thing is a perfect tagline, because we should all be thankful that we're getting to watch him play, as those of us who watched MJ are.

Anyhoo....getting back on topic, I was just sayin it wouldn't surprise me to find out King James was hittin the sauce. That's all.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude...whats your deal? "me stats"? He averaged damn near a triple double!

I have no anti-Kobe agenda. Kobe is flat-out awesome. He's an assassin, a killer. I'm not anti-Jordan either. MJ is the best of all time. I'm just giving credit where it's due. I've been playing and watching basketball for almost my entire life and I'm in awe of what LBJ is capable of. I think the whole "witness" thing is a perfect tagline, because we should all be thankful that we're getting to watch him play, as those of us who watched MJ are.

Anyhoo....getting back on topic, I was just sayin it wouldn't surprise me to find out King James was hittin the sauce. That's all.
You are ULTIMATELY measured by championships.

That's my deal.

When you speak of the GREATS,MJ,Magic,Bird,Russell,Kobe,Duncan etc.
They all have one thing in common.
Just ask Barkley,Ewing,Malone,Stockton,Nash etc.

I've NEVER denied lebron doesn't have mad skills,but what has done to to be labeled "the king???"..SERIOUS question.

It's too much too soon.The MTV,gotta be on sportscenter's top ten generation.
One league MVP and all-star appearances doesn't make one a king.

FWIW...I've played ball and watched all my life also.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
They call your boy Hansbrough "Psycho T" but he's not really a psychopath. The King is just a nickname because he's "The Chosen One"...the dude who has the goods to carry the NBA's torch for years to come.

I just can't wait for him to cash one in and get that ring on his finger so the haters can relax. Appreciate the man for what he is........which is in-f*cking-credible.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
They call your boy Hansbrough "Psycho T" but he's not really a psychopath. The King is just a nickname because he's "The Chosen One"...the dude who has the goods to carry the NBA's torch for years to come.

I just can't wait for him to cash one in and get that ring on his finger so the haters can relax. Appreciate the man for what he is........which is in-f*cking-credible.
Hansbro's nickname was given to him by his strength coach for his work ethic in the weight room.

When the prince wins 7 rings and surpasses MJ,then an ONLY then will he be considered the king.

BEST OF LUCK WITH THAT ONE:lol:

Stop taking it personal Dub,,,,,Nothing but love for you,my dembro:sgrin:

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No worries brah...just don't want to see a basketball fan dismissing the career of someone he should be appreciating. And again, he's 24, still plenty of time to win a ring or two. All respect to the all-time greats and I'll never take anything away from your boy Kobe. It's all good mah dem.

Hansbrough was a beast at UNC. I've heard a story or two about him being a d!ck off the court though. How do you think he'll fare with the Pacers? I swear, it's like they're stockpiling whiteboys over there.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No worries brah...just don't want to see a basketball fan dismissing the career of someone he should be appreciating. And again, he's 24, still plenty of time to win a ring or two. All respect to the all-time greats and I'll never take anything away from your boy Kobe. It's all good mah dem.

Hansbrough was a beast at UNC. I've heard a story or two about him being a d!ck off the court though. How do you think he'll fare with the Pacers? I swear, it's like they're stockpiling whiteboys over there.
I work at UNC and got to know Hansbro rather well.
Always respectful and pleasant to me.FWIW.

I think he'll have a "nice" career.Nothing spectacular,but the kid DOES WORK.
A lot of dems get satisfied at the next level and become complacent.I DON'T see that happening with Tyler.He's been told he wouldn't succeed at every level. Kids on a mission to once again prove the "haters" wrong.

I'm out. Time to grub:food:and SFW soon thereafter:sgrin:

D

dav

Awards
Iam from the UK so know little about Basketball (the playing of) lol. But have a good knowledge on the drug side. Here in the US you have a much more strict rule on the taking of Meds so no one is going to be particularly open about using not when there is so much to loose. Pretty much all top athletes will be using something thats fact - Testing is easy to get around - fact, Lewis was using Flo Jo was using, etc.. etc.. they got round it due to their stature in their sport. In most people Delts, traps etc.. respond very well to AAS so look at the guys you are talking about there. I knew a top Basketball player in the UK - got a scholarship at one of the top colleges in the US to play basketball with one of the big teams, he was young (16) and was told he needed more height, was fed HGH to attain this although it was too late and he missed the grade, back then early 90's he told me how rife HGH and AAS use was in your system, he was part of it lol.

I was a tested top class BBer and when on my numerous tests I questioned the IOC team as to who were the main perpetrators when it came to drug abuse (I was expecting BBer's etc.. to come out on top) they answered that it was Basketball players and cyclists.

Also one of the most potent anabolic agents is insulin - I know of BBers who have backed on many lean lbs just by its use, not easy to detect??