Cutler going to Bears

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, a source told ESPN.com.

The Broncos confirmed the move.

Terms of the trade weren't immediately available, but the Bears had to beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos, according to the team, and had been staying away from the offseason program.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow good move for the bears

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
That's been a sore spot for Da Bears for some time. I'm aware Grossman had that good year,.. but this should help the Bears immensely!!!

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a third-round pick in 2009.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I was hoping they would send his ass to Detroit.

The Bears is a nice landing spot for Cutler

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
oh, HELL YEA......watch Chi-Town this year! GD, we haven't had a quarterback i like.....forever

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
good move for Cutler, broncos will suck this year!

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Devin Hester is going to have one hell of an upcoming season...draft him in your fantasy leagues

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
oh, HELL YEA......watch Chi-Town this year! GD, we haven't had a quarterback i like.....forever
i can never remember a good qb in chicago...jim mcmahaon had a super bowl win..but that team was built on def. and one...walter payton

johnnyjuice

johnnyjuice

Awards
  • Established
yea good move bears,but i was hoping he was coming here to the redskins!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Uh. Who the **** doesnt want the Sex Cannon shooting balls into the 14th row.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i can never remember a good qb in chicago...jim mcmahaon had a super bowl win..but that team was built on def. and one...walter payton
scary, i said the exact same thing to a buddy yesterday after reading this. and your right, we've never had a good one, we've had "ok" qb's but not a solid one. Chicago is not known for that, we're known for our D-fence not exactly o-fence. Sure we've had some good receivers and a couple of Devin Hester's in the past but not a strong person in the driver's seat at the qb position. and if Jim McMahaon never won the superbowl, he would be just another one of the countless qb disappointments we've seen over the years.......this will be interesting.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Jimmy Mac was their last pro bowl QB way back in 1985. Since he left the team they've had 23! Most of any team in the league in that time frame. Crazy thing is Cutlers 2008 season stats would have destroyed about 5 Bears single season passing records. He is easily the most talented QB to ever play for the Bears when he finally does. I'm stoked and I about busted a nut when I heard the news.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-03-bears-qb-chart-apr03,0,7382832.story

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I like cutler....and I think the bears will benefit from him......but he is just too much of a primadonna.

And honestly, I think that there are far fewer good receivers on the bears team than on the broncos......just my opinion.

Denver better get a running game going on this year. I mean last year they lost practically everyone. And to boot they have orton, who I wouldn't say is bad....but you know.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
I like cutler....and I think the bears will benefit from him......but he is just too much of a primadonna.
Most athletes these days are. Especially quarterbacks. Personally I want my QB to be cocky and think he's good as long as he is good and Cutler is.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
everyone is all over cutler for being pissed. How would you feel if you were a top performer in your area and your new boss came in and tried to get rid of you right away? There's gonna be animosity there for a lot of people of all walks of life in that situation, it just happens to be news with cutler

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Denver ranked 28th in Defense last year. Which is absolutely pathetic considering for much of the season they were in the playoff hunt. All this with injuries on offense that made they dig down to the 9th running back on the depth chart (if there is such a thing), Brandon Marshall battling nagging injuries and off the field stuff, no Travis Henry (is he in jail?), and a pretty challenging schedule, no more Javon Walker, and a inexperienced yet promising rookie Eddie Royal turned 1st option... yet Cutler kept them fighting all year.

as Denver fans told me, the off-season was to focus specifically on Defense - especially the front 7. So in comes McDaniels and he feels the QB was the problem. He secretly shoots for Cassell and now they have Orton (or Simms) as their starter - a locker room that will be divided. Nice start coach.

It's a shame because I love Brian Dawkins and he left Philly to join a major contender. This team will be out of the race by week 7.

Broncos fans are still irate, for a few days its popular to get behind the buzz and hate on Jay Cutler and call him names and play the blame game... fact of the matter is, the team is ruined and it's McDaniels' fault.

these young coaches don't get it, especially the ones that have never played sports at a competitive level. McDaniels was a non-starter at WR for 3 years for John Carroll University. He went to John Carroll to play QB, but wasn't good enough to even be the backup. Not saying that hiring a old stale recycled coach (see Norv Turner) is any better, but come on... :)

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
everyone is all over cutler for being pissed. How would you feel if you were a top performer in your area and your new boss came in and tried to get rid of you right away? There's gonna be animosity there for a lot of people of all walks of life in that situation, it just happens to be news with cutler

You know whats funny is you never heard anything bad about him until this crap with McDanials happened. I would be pissed as well. Why would you want to play for a team that doesn't want you and lied to you?? I wouldn't.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
You know whats funny is you never heard anything bad about him until this crap with McDanials happened. I would be pissed as well. Why would you want to play for a team that doesn't want you and lied to you?? I wouldn't.
Well tell me what did you hear about him?

Was it his playoff wins?
How about winning record?

Well, he won 0 playoff games, and he was 17-20 as a starter.
What you can expect from him, is interceptions.
In 2006 he played 5 games and threw 5 interceptions, 2007 16 games and 14 interceptions, and last season 16 games 18 interceptions.

He reminds me of Brett Favre. Strong arm, and you either win with him or lose because of him.

The Broncos defense did suck, and Cutler didn't help by turning the ball over like he did, as well as his inability to score in the red zone. A lot of his touchdowns was thanks to his receivers making things happen.

Also, John Elway never had a great defense.

The bottom line, I was never a big Cutler fan. Enjoy Chicago.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards

Yeah poor guy. People lose their jobs for the lack of performance everyday, but a million dollar athlete that hasn't won anything has his feelings hurt because a new coach wanted someone who he was familiar with, and new his system...

In addition, he isn't the first player to be ever involved in trade rumors. Heck, Dan Reeves tried to trade John Elway to the Redskins...#7 managed quite well if you ask me...

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Yeah poor guy. People lose their jobs for the lack of performance everyday, but a million dollar athlete that hasn't won anything has his feelings hurt because a new coach wanted someone who he was familiar with, and new his system...

In addition, he isn't the first player to be ever involved in trade rumors. Heck, Dan Reeves tried to trade John Elway to the Redskins...#7 managed quite well if you ask me...
Broncos fan I take it? I didn't mean to have a pity party for him, I just meant that if you find out you're not wanted, you aren't gonna wanna stay. For what it's worth, with the picks they got I feel like the broncos got the best of the situation anyways. And as a redskins fan, I gladly woulda taken elway or cutler :)

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a bitter salty ass Broncos fan to me...

Well tell me what did you hear about him?

Was it his playoff wins?
How about winning record?

Well, he won 0 playoff games, and he was 17-20 as a starter.
Right and the main reason the Broncos won any of those 17 was because of him. He can't run the ball nor play defense. Everyone has pointed out that Denver lost there final three games of the season but they left out that Denvers opposition scored 30,30 and 50 points. I saw a stat that when the opposition scores less than 21 points he's only lost one of those games.

This is from a Broncos forum:

In 2005, Orton's record was 10-3 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. However, that is a slightly misleading stat....

In 8 of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less, something our defense only managed ONE TIME in Cutler's 37 starts. His record in those games was 7-1. Jay won his game for a 1-0 record.

In 2007, Orton's record was 1-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points of less. In the win, the defense again held the opponent to 10 points or less (seven points).

In 2008, Orton's record was 6-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. Once again, a misleading stat, because in three of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less.

So to summarize....

Orton is 17-5 (.772) in games where the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less, which is worse than Jay's 12-1 record (.923). However, when you consider that 12 Orton's starts were games where the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less (heck - Plummer or Griese can win a game if the opponent doesn't score any more than that) and Orton's record was 11-1 (.916) in those games, which means that Jay's record as a starter is better when the opponent scores 21 or less than Kyle's record is when the opponent scores 10 or less.

But hey, the defense doesn't matter, does it?

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established

You remember when Elway acted like a little baby after the Colts drafted him??? Probably not. :D He forced his way to Denver. Or Eli Manning with the Chargers?? Funny thing is neither of those guys took any sh*t for it or if they did is was very minor by comparison.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Broncos fan I take it? I didn't mean to have a pity party for him, I just meant that if you find out you're not wanted, you aren't gonna wanna stay. For what it's worth, with the picks they got I feel like the broncos got the best of the situation anyways. And as a redskins fan, I gladly woulda taken elway or cutler :)

Just hope Campbell doesn't throw a Cutler fit now ;)

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
You remember when Elway acted like a little baby after the Colts drafted him??? Probably not. :D He forced his way to Denver. Or Eli Manning with the Chargers?? Funny thing is neither of those guys took any sh*t for it or if they did is was very minor by comparison.
Keyword drafted.

They weren't with their drafted team for three years and under contract.

And ask Charger fans what they think of Eli, or should I say thought about him...

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
How many Bronco games have you watched?

I watch them all, and I can say the games the Broncos did win, with Cutler at the helm, was not all because of him. And He put a Broncos shitty defense in very bad positions, even when they were bending but not breaking.

I also seen him have plenty of opportunities to win games, but failed to. As well as, the inability to score in the red zone.

And to try and compare offense to offense is laughable. You say the Bears, and the last thing you think of is offense, and especially the QB position. The Bears have been about defense for as long as know...

I am excited to see how the Bears defense holds up, when they can't get off the field thanks to Cutler's many interceptions.

Right and the main reason the Broncos won any of those 17 was because of him. He can't run the ball nor play defense. Everyone has pointed out that Denver lost there final three games of the season but they left out that Denvers opposition scored 30,30 and 50 points. I saw a stat that when the opposition scores less than 21 points he's only lost one of those games.

This is from a Broncos forum:

In 2005, Orton's record was 10-3 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. However, that is a slightly misleading stat....

In 8 of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less, something our defense only managed ONE TIME in Cutler's 37 starts. His record in those games was 7-1. Jay won his game for a 1-0 record.

In 2007, Orton's record was 1-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points of less. In the win, the defense again held the opponent to 10 points or less (seven points).

In 2008, Orton's record was 6-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. Once again, a misleading stat, because in three of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less.

So to summarize....

Orton is 17-5 (.772) in games where the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less, which is worse than Jay's 12-1 record (.923). However, when you consider that 12 Orton's starts were games where the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less (heck - Plummer or Griese can win a game if the opponent doesn't score any more than that) and Orton's record was 11-1 (.916) in those games, which means that Jay's record as a starter is better when the opponent scores 21 or less than Kyle's record is when the opponent scores 10 or less.

But hey, the defense doesn't matter, does it?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it has long since been forgotten though. Most charger fans are happy with Rivers and rightfully so. Once the Broncos find someone to work well within the system that McDaniels brings in, then they should be ok. However, McDaniels did handle this quite well :rofl:

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Keyword drafted.

They weren't with their drafted team for three years and under contract.
If anything Elway and Manning were worse in there situations as they both crapped all over the integrity of the draft and the concept that the worst teams are supposed to have the opportunity to choose the player they want. A kid out of college shouldn't be dictating to the NFL what they want to do. Cutler would still be your QB had a newb head coach not come in and attempt to trade him and lie about it. Its that simple. I don't blame him for being pissed because I wouldn't want to play for a team that didn't want me either.

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
How many Bronco games have you watched?

I watch them all, and I can say the games the Broncos did win, with Cutler at the helm, was not all because of him. And He put a Broncos shitty defense in very bad positions, even when they were bending but not breaking.

I also seen him have plenty of opportunities to win games, but failed to. As well as, the inability to score in the red zone.

And to try and compare offense to offense is laughable. You say the Bears, and the last thing you think of is offense, and especially the QB position. The Bears have been about defense for as long as know...

I am excited to see how the Bears defense holds up, when they can't get off the field thanks to Cutler's many interceptions.
I'm excited to see you guys puke after Orton throws his first pass. :D LOTS OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Different players with different defenses. As was already stated, Cutler was something like 15 and 1 when his defense held a team under 21 points. Since the broncos couldn't stop an old woman at a sale at bloomingdales, Cutler had to constantly throw, and then add in no running game to speak of. Don't let your bias get too severe

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i can see the enthusiasm where cutler is concerned,considering what they had at the qb position prior to acquiring him,but i wouldn't be so quick to anoint him.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cutler will help the Bears. Now he just needs someone to throw to.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Different players with different defenses. As was already stated, Cutler was something like 15 and 1 when his defense held a team under 21 points. Since the broncos couldn't stop an old woman at a sale at bloomingdales, Cutler had to constantly throw, and then add in no running game to speak of. Don't let your bias get too severe

That only goes for last season. What was his excuse his prior seasons?

Jake "The Snake" got us to the AFC Championship game; had the Broncos in the playoff hunt, but for whatever reason, Shanny felt like pulling Jake, and putting in Cutler who ended up not making the playoffs...

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
That only goes for last season. What was his excuse his prior seasons?

Jake "The Snake" got us to the AFC Championship game; had the Broncos in the playoff hunt, but for whatever reason, Shanny felt like pulling Jake, and putting in Cutler who ended up not making the playoffs...
He's only been the QB for 2.5 seasons. They threw a ton in 2007 also because they had the great Travis Henry as there RB and there defense has sucked ass for years. Jake Plummer never played another game after he left Denver and he was far worse the Cutler in terms of talent. While you're lamenting about the great Jake Plummer pull up his stats and compare. Good luck with Orton. Hopefully McBungle knows what he's doing and your GM can draft wisely.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
now who will be number two at the olympia....