5'11"  235 lbs.

I HOPE SO!!!!
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatTested View Post
    BRUINSSSSS....CAN YOU SAY STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    The Devils have a far better chance of coming out of the East, IMO.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Well thats your opinion. The bruins were slumping, which was fine. Now they've picked it up at the right time. The bruins are deeper than the devils. The devils have a better goalie, but the B's can beat the devils IMO
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox36 View Post
    Well thats your opinion. The bruins were slumping, which was fine. Now they've picked it up at the right time. The bruins are deeper than the devils. The devils have a better goalie, but the B's can beat the devils IMO
    It is possible, though I doubt it. The B's are have an incredibly balanced scoring attack, but that core of players, particularly the forwards, lack substantive playoff experience; that is exactly why they picked up Recchi, and this goes double for their primary goaltender.

The Devils have been on a losing streak lately [five, I believe], but they have two important things the B's do not:

a) Spectacular goaltending;
    b) Experienced core of forwards.

Unless you are the Detroit Red Wings, you do not make a run without a spectacular goalie - Thomas has played very well this year, but it is a no-brainer in regard to him v., Martin Brodeur.

IMO, given the way the Pens have played since Therien was fired, it will be either be the Pens or Devils coming out of the East.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

The pens wont make it out of the east Thats laughable!!! They wont make it past the first round. Thomas can get hot and has shown he can, he has one of the best GA in the NHL. The Bruins have 3scoring lines, they can score goals. They also have home ice. The B's have shown they can play with the devils. If any team Im scared of them playing the capitals. The B's havent played well against them. They can score goals, but their downside is they let in alot of goals. The B's may not have alot of experience up front, they are young. They have experience on the defense. Bruins vs Devils in the east.....B's in 6!!!!!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

The pens wont make it out of the east Thats laughable!!!
    why is that laughable? they're 14-2-2 in their last 18 games -- including a win against Boston and the Capitals?

they're all good teams (including the Devils) and I can see any one of them winning the conference.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

The pens wont make it out of the east Thats laughable!!! They wont make it past the first round. Thomas can get hot and has shown he can, he has one of the best GA in the NHL. The Bruins have 3scoring lines, they can score goals. They also have home ice. The B's have shown they can play with the devils. If any team Im scared of them playing the capitals. The B's havent played well against them. They can score goals, but their downside is they let in alot of goals. The B's may not have alot of experience up front, they are young. They have experience on the defense. Bruins vs Devils in the east.....B's in 6!!!!!
    The Pittsburgh Penguins demolished the East last year; have one of the best records in the league over the last quarter of the season; have two of the three best players in the league; and faired poorly due to key injuries early in the year - not sure your point is well made there.

G.A.A., is more of a team stat than a goalie stat, but that is neither here nor there. Save % is more indicative of an individual goalie's performance, but, that being said, Thomas leads that category as well. You seem very confident in a completely unproven playoff goalie - myself, not so much.

Statistics are secondary to proven capability to win meaningful match-ups, though. In that sense, Thomas was capable, but not extraordinary, going 3-4 in '08. Considering you are a fan of G.A.A., though, his '08 playoff GA of 2.65 and Save % of .914 would be very respectable in the regular season, but were well behind the levels necessary for a Cup run [Fleury and Osgood both had sub-2 GAs and +.930 Save %].

The B's most definitely have playoff experience on 'D' - Ference, Stuart, and Montador have all been to a Cup - so I will concede that point. Other teams, particularly in the West, have more talented blue-lines, though.

The Bruins have had a very good, very surprising regular season, but I feel it will end there. I have them conceivably making it to the East Finals, but losing in five to either NJ, Pittsburgh, or even Washington [though I do not feel Washington is going to make it far, either].
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Yes they were great LAST YEAR...Until they made the move with the coach they were a good team struggling, even with 2 of the best players on the team.
    Thomas went 3 and 4 last year when the Bruins were an 8th seed and almost came back against Montreal. The Bruins this year and including Thomas are way better than last year. They have 3 really good lines, and some could argue they have a 4th line that can score (sometimes). After this losing period, they look like they did at the beninning of the year. They wont be a push over....Brodeur or not, he isnt god, he has to show his age sometime, and this year, this is the time they get past the East.
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Yes they were great LAST YEAR...Until they made the move with the coach they were a good team struggling, even with 2 of the best players on the team.
    Thomas went 3 and 4 last year when the Bruins were an 8th seed and almost came back against Montreal. The Bruins this year and including Thomas are way better than last year. They have 3 really good lines, and some could argue they have a 4th line that can score (sometimes). After this losing period, they look like they did at the beninning of the year. They wont be a push over....Brodeur or not, he isnt god, he has to show his age sometime, and this year, this is the time they get past the East.
    That is your opinion, and it is good you are confident in your team.
  11. Registered User

Caps fan here. Too bad I don't see them going very far in the playoffs...unless Ove blows up.
  12. Registered User

Bruins Capitals Devils in that order Devil wont make in out of the east no chance if anyone comes out its out of the bruins or capitals come on now with this brodeur talk he is an amazing goalie but to say he is by far better than thomas when it comes to the playoffs is nonsense just because brodeur has the experience does not mean he is superior to thomas it helps but momentum carries into the playoffs and right now thomas is the best in the nhl on fire most likley going to win the best goalie...also last time they played the bruins took it to the devils and brodeur seemed very old in net
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatTested View Post
    brodeur talk he is an amazing goalie but to say he is by far better than thomas when it comes to the playoffs is nonsense just because brodeur has the experience does not mean he is superior to thomas
    I am sorry, but comparing Tim Thomas to Martin Brodeur is the most ridiculous hockey-based analogy I have heard in some time. Tim Thomas is not now, nor will he ever be, anywhere near Brodeur's calibre - not even close.

He has played seven playoff games total, and lost four - you are reaching on this one. Martin Brodeur, on the other hand, has 95 wins in the playoffs with a 1.96 GAA.

As I say, the Bruins are a fairly capable team, but comparing Tim Thomas to Martin Brodeur is like comparing Phil Kessel to Phil Esposito at this point.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

who's Tim Thomas?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    who's Tim Thomas?

Thats funny
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

haha no he's a great goalie along with several others in the East.. pretty pumped for the playoffs.
  17. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    haha no he's a great goalie along with several others in the East.. pretty pumped for the playoffs.
    You can say that again...the only downside is the end of my fantasy season.
  18. Registered User

Sorry I missed the thread until now. In general I'm a sports nut who loves all sports and my Chicago teams. Hockey, however, is my favorite and I live and die with the Blackhawks. I'm as giddy as a school girl that they're good again as its been a long time coming. Its sad that it took the death of there former owner to get them back on the map but hockey is back in Chicago!
  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrain13 View Post
    Sorry I missed the thread until now. In general I'm a sports nut who loves all sports and my Chicago teams. Hockey, however, is my favorite and I live and die with the Blackhawks. I'm as giddy as a school girl that they're good again as its been a long time coming. Its sad that it took the death of there former owner to get them back on the map but hockey is back in Chicago!
    And a good Chicago team is certainly good for the NHL as a whole. The Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings and Blackhawks all being good at the same time is absolutely fantastic for the growth of the NHL! Now, if only Toronto was not perennially terrible!
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    And a good Chicago team is certainly good for the NHL as a whole. The Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings and Blackhawks all being good at the same time is absolutely fantastic for the growth of the NHL! Now, if only Toronto was not perennially terrible!
    Give them a few years under Burke and they'll be back in the East Finals.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    The Hawks have been a suck fest for the better part of 11 seasons (one playoff appearance in 2002) so as I said its been a long time in the making. There the third youngest team in the league and only going to get better.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.

as lame as it is I'm a die-hard Leafs fan. All my life. Any favorites to win the cup?
  23. Registered User

Anyone see Avery's latest bone-headed move?

24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

What an A-hole this guy is! What a tool!
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.

i can't believe after all the adversity he's faced he'd do this, when anything he does can get him sent down or benched or whatever
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Big hockey fan here. It sounds strange when I hear some of you guys say that nobody cares. I guess that's one of the benefits of living in Canada - it's the only sport me and my friends watch...although I've been known to watch girl's volleyball too...and UFC, which I just realized shows more skin than female beach volleyball...

Oiler fan since '83. Too bad we're out. I predict NJ over Calgary.
    I'd hope to see Capitols vs Chicago.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Avery is such a **** -- and that was no accident.. I love that Thomas just flipped **** and came after him though haha, I love to see the goalies get in on it..

On the same subject, anybody ever been punched by a blocker? Seriously like getting your head bashed by a 2x4..
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.

I'd love to see calgary there, I'd pick them over the nucks for a canadian team to make it... in the east i gotta go with either NJ or Boston, both have top notch tenders
  29. Registered User

Avery is just out to start trouble, the NHL could end this whole thing by giving him a long suspension some day but refuses to. And yes...blockers hurt, a lot.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.

avery is just doing his job thats the type of player he is guys ! he defines the term agiatator .. btw rangers if they do make the playoffs will beat the devils in round 1 .. thats just the way i see it looking round 1
  31. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THEGEEZ View Post
    avery is just doing his job thats the type of player he is guys ! he defines the term agiatator .. btw rangers if they do make the playoffs will beat the devils in round 1 .. thats just the way i see it looking round 1
    Skating by the goalie and intentionally cracking him in the back of his head is not his job. There is no place for that in the game. What makes it worse is after he does his usual stupid sh*t he runs and hides like a little b*tch when challenged.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Looks like the rangers will be playing the bruins. I would like to see after the bruins win, give avery a bitch slap
  33. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dtrain13 View Post
    Skating by the goalie and intentionally cracking him in the back of his head is not his job. There is no place for that in the game. What makes it worse is after does his usually stupid sh*t he runs and hides like a little b*tch when challenged.
    Agreed. Having enforcers for big hits and sticking up for teammates who get cheapshotted is one thing, but Avery just tries to incite trouble with no cause.

He's a clown and whenever anyone challenges him, he acts like he didn't do anything, just so he can talk smack to the media when it's safe.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

One thing....I cant stand the canadiens!!! What a bunch of girls!
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.

haha I don't mind the habs, but Georges Laraque is the most overrated fighter in my opinion... hes big and strong and just basically wrestles his opponents, have you ever seen him really go toe to toe with someone?
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

To me the canadiens are the yankees of hockey...cant stand either of them
  37. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

To me the canadiens are the yankees of hockey...cant stand either of them
    Maybe before the 80's, but they have only won the cup 2x since their dynasty of the 70's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Board Sponsor

Thumbs up

GO PENS!!!
    Omega Sports Representative
    The Omega Vision Honor. Integrity. Trust.
  39. Registered User

Go Blues!! Best team in hockey for the whole second half of the season. (look it up if you dont believe me!!) Going to the game tonight! Down 3-0 to Vancouver Its pretty exciting here despite being down in the series. Every game has come down to the last 2 minutes of the game, but man Lounugo is killing us! If we only had Paul Kariya and Eric Johnson off the DL we would be golden

We haven't had playoff hockey in STL since before the lockout and I have so many friends that are Cardinal fans that are more worried about the first 15 games of a 162 game baseball season. It drives me crazy. How can you worry about regular season baseball when playoff hockey is here!?! Its madness! After watching hockey all season long, going to a baseball game is extremely boring until youve watched a couple in a row!!! Its a hard switch for me and I played baseball on my university baseball team for 4 years, so its not that I don't like baseball. its just that hockey is way more exciting and fun to watch.

These guys are real athletes. Baseball players cant play a game if there stomach is upset or the had a muscle spasm before the game. Hockey players play with broken bones, missing teeth and can punch each other during the game. Thats a real athlete. Most other professional sports athletes are total pussays!!

GO BLUES
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Go B's!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  •