WTF is Auburn thinking???

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So they get rid of Tubberville, who averages 9 wins per season and won six in a row over Bama... lie and say he resigned... and then hire Gene Chizik, a guy who's gone 5-19 in his only head coaching job at Iowa State, and who was winless in the Big 12 this year.
Auburn has become a job no one wants - College Football - Rivals.com

Hmmm...:think:

Well, I've got one thing to say...

Great hire, Tigers!:thumbsup: ROLL TIDE!!!

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
When I heard about this I almost shot myself...

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I heard about this I almost shot myself...
Too bad Turner Gill was never a real candidate for the job, because he would have been excellent. You can thank the Auburn "good ol' boy network" for that.:rolleyes: Not that Bama was any more enlightened when they hired Mike Shula over a much more qualified Sly Croom, who would've fared much better with the athletes in Tuscaloosa. ((sigh)) Another reminder of why I live much further west now.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So they get rid of Tubberville, who averages 9 wins per season and won six in a row over Bama... lie and say he resigned... and then hire Gene Chizik, a guy who's gone 5-19 in his only head coaching job at Iowa State, and who was winless in the Big 12 this year.
Auburn has become a job no one wants - College Football - Rivals.com

Hmmm...:think:

Well, I've got one thing to say...

Great hire, Tigers!:thumbsup: ROLL TIDE!!!
I was indeed shocked myself. I'm no tubberville fan, but the man got it done.

bryan4592

Awards
The Turner Gill vs Gene Chizik isnt as lopsided in favor of Gill as everyone thinks. Chizik was the Def. Coordinator on two consecutive 13-0 teams. One with Texas and one with Auburn. That familiarity with the Auburn football life is huge. And 2 straight 13-0's means the guy knows something. Gill, on the other hand has been mediocre. I believe his record is sub .500 in the MAC. True Chizik's record was poor, but no one wins at Iowa State and the Big 12 has been salty the past few years. Much much much better than the MAC, obviously.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Turner Gill vs Gene Chizik isnt as lopsided in favor of Gill as everyone thinks. Chizik was the Def. Coordinator on two consecutive 13-0 teams. One with Texas and one with Auburn. That familiarity with the Auburn football life is huge. And 2 straight 13-0's means the guy knows something. Gill, on the other hand has been mediocre. I believe his record is sub .500 in the MAC. True Chizik's record was poor, but no one wins at Iowa State and the Big 12 has been salty the past few years. Much much much better than the MAC, obviously.
I'm very familiar with Chizik's accomplishments as a coordinator. However, it was never Auburn's defense that needed fixing... which is why this is such a ridiculous hire. Tubbs knew defense as well. What they need is an aggressive offense, which Gill knows all about.

Btw... your Gill argument makes absolutely no sense. If the prerequisite is only a few years of being a head coach, he outshines Chizik hands down. No one wins at Iowa State... but Buffalo has always been such a powerhouse, I suppose?:rolleyes: Buffalo had won a grand total of 10 games in the seven seasons prior to Gill's arrival. They've now won 15 games in three seasons. Dude, he won a championship... and Chizik didn't win a single conference game this year, his second season. I'd say that's pretty lopsided. Check my avatar. I certainly keep up with these things, and the majority of Auburn alumni, even the most redneck ones, would certainly disagree with your take on this.

bryan4592

Awards
Im not saying Chizik was a great hire, but his familiarity with Auburn football cannot be ignored and allows some leniancy on the 5-19 record.

Also, your Gill argument has merit in that Buffalo was by no means a good situation and he has done a good job with a program that was garbage. My point is that it is easier to rise to repectability in the MAC than in the Big 12.