Best Running Back In College Football

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Just wanting to know who everybody thinks is the best running back in college football now that the season is almost over. I am posting this because I am a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan and it just so happens I believe we have the best running back in the Nation.. SHONN GREENE leading the nation in rushing with one more game to go.. not too far behind is another Big Ten runner Javon Ringer are these two the best??

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just wanting to know who everybody thinks is the best running back in college football now that the season is almost over. I am posting this because I am a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan and it just so happens I believe we have the best running back in the Nation.. SHONN GREENE leading the nation in rushing with one more game to go.. not too far behind is another Big Ten runner Javon Ringer are these two the best??
I'd say Knowshon Moreno is at the top of this class because of the level of competition he's faced. Alabama shut him down, but that's mostly because UGA was down 31 points by halftime. That's not a knock against Greene, because he's a stud too. Also, I think the yards per carry stat is just as/more important than total yards in a season. That's why Ringer isn't in my top three. He's had a hundred more carries than Greene against the same conference foes.

(I also think Glen Coffee is way underrated... but I may be biased!)

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
knowshon moreno is very talented, he is having a good season as well, i almost thought he'd do better though so my expectations were very high.. Glen coffee is a good arguement for being underated. He's a good back playin for the #1 ranked team in the country so he can handle the load.

Beanie Wells is a stud... he has a GREAT offensive line.. without his injuries he would be having an even greater season than he already has had!

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I should also mention Cal's Jahvid Best. If not for an injury, that guy would've had even more of a breakout year. He still averaged 7 yards per carry and had over 1,000 yards. I saw him firsthand several times this season, and he's definitely a player. Best thing about him... he's a sophomore!

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
shon green is good...but ringer..c'mon penn st put a hurting on him...47yrds on the ground.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I don't watch a lot college football, but Oregon State has a running back, Jacquizz Rodgers, who is pretty good. He's only a Freshman, but he burned USC for like 168 yards, averages over 100 yards a game, and hasn't had a fumble this season.

He is only 5 foot 7 inches, but he's compact at 195. Small for a running back, but he is quick, and his lateral movement is amazing. He makes people miss, and it seems linebackers have a hard time finding him in the backfield because he is so short.

Oregon vs Oregon State should be a great game coming up.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
While he isn't a full time running back, I'll throw Percy Harvin's name out there. All he's ever done is average 10.4, 9.2, and 9.5 yards per carry each season. He bulked up in the off season to 205 lbs (he came in as a freshman at 167) and he's shown to have been not only one of the fastest backs, but one of the strongest as well (just to give you an idea, he bench pressed 415 lbs. prior to the season starting). My best guess is that the staff was getting him ready so can play full time RB at the next level.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While he isn't a full time running back, I'll throw Percy Harvin's name out there. All he's ever done is average 10.4, 9.2, and 9.5 yards per carry each season. He bulked up in the off season to 205 lbs (he came in as a freshman at 167) and he's shown to have been not only one of the fastest backs, but one of the strongest as well (just to give you an idea, he bench pressed 415 lbs. prior to the season starting). My best guess is that the staff was getting him ready so can play full time RB at the next level.
Yeah, but Harvin averages less than six carries per game. Most of the carries are not typical run plays, which explains his 9.5 yard average. If he could really carry the load at RB for an entire game, and average just 5.5 yards per carry, I'm sure Urban wouldn't hesitate to do that. Harvin is excellent at what he does... being a versatile hybrid player. He's exciting as hell to watch, and is definitely a game-breaker, but I wouldn't put him in this category. I can see him playing receiver for an NFL team.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't watch a lot college football, but Oregon State has a running back, Jacquizz Rodgers, who is pretty good. He's only a Freshman, but he burned USC for like 168 yards, averages over 100 yards a game, and hasn't had a fumble this season.

He is only 5 foot 7 inches, but he's compact at 195. Small for a running back, but he is quick, and his lateral movement is amazing. He makes people miss, and it seems linebackers have a hard time finding him in the backfield because he is so short.

Oregon vs Oregon State should be a great game coming up.
"Quizz" is a great back. He's carried that team all year. Good call. Unfortunately for OSU, it doesn't look like he'll play on Saturday.
ESPN - Oregon State Beavers running back Jacquizz Rodgers doubtful against Oregon Ducks

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I should also mention Cal's Jahvid Best. If not for an injury, that guy would've had even more of a breakout year. He still averaged 7 yards per carry and had over 1,000 yards. I saw him firsthand several times this season, and he's definitely a player. Best thing about him... he's a sophomore!
Best tore it up today... 19 rushes for 312 yards and 4 TDs. That's over 16 yards per carry, and he takes the Pac-10 rushing title as a sophomore.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
if demarco murray from oklahoma could get over his injury problems he could put together a stellar year...it just hasn't happened yet.

tchsdrummer06

tchsdrummer06

Awards
I'd say Knowshon Moreno is at the top of this class because of the level of competition he's faced. Alabama shut him down, but that's mostly because UGA was down 31 points by halftime. That's not a knock against Greene, because he's a stud too. Also, I think the yards per carry stat is just as/more important than total yards in a season. That's why Ringer isn't in my top three. He's had a hundred more carries than Greene against the same conference foes.

(I also think Glen Coffee is way underrated... but I may be biased!)
Moreno isn't that good. He will get smashed in the NFL. You guys might wanna check out Jahvid (sp?) Best from Cal.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best tore it up today... 19 rushes for 312 yards and 4 TDs. That's over 16 yards per carry, and he takes the Pac-10 rushing title as a sophomore.
You guys might wanna check out Jahvid (sp?) Best from Cal.
Dude... c'mon. Really?:lol:

Saw Best tonight in SF at the Emerald Bowl. He was certainly the difference in the game. The whole stadium was booing every time Cal threw the football! Kid's a b-e-a-s-t.

tchsdrummer06

tchsdrummer06

Awards
Dude... c'mon. Really?:lol:

Saw Best tonight in SF at the Emerald Bowl. He was certainly the difference in the game. The whole stadium was booing every time Cal threw the football! Kid's a b-e-a-s-t.
I didn't read all the posts in between I guess :lol:

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
alright you asked for it.....EVAN ROYSTER..PENN STATE

utefan

Awards
Best was amazing against Miami. He should have a big season next year.