Phelps is a god.

That is all.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.55%

Greatest Olympic hero of all time. Tonight he has no finals, just the semi-finals of the 200 IM. The 8 Gold are looking good.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.92%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

the guy is scary good. He makes it seem effortless
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%
    Achievements Posting Pro

And he gets to eat 10,000 calories a day for maintenance (as reported via the news). Apparently he swims so damn much that he has to eat nearly 10k calories to maintain his bodyweight of 190lbs and no matter how much he eats he can't seem to crest the 190lb mark. Not that it matters, he's still beast.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

88km per week he swims. freak. i hate him.
  6. CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    And he gets to eat 10,000 calories a day for maintenance (as reported via the news). Apparently he swims so damn much that he has to eat nearly 10k calories to maintain his bodyweight of 190lbs and no matter how much he eats he can't seem to crest the 190lb mark. Not that it matters, he's still beast.
    Yahoo news posted his 12,500 calorie/day daily diet. No way was it 12,500 but it was a lot. Very unhealthy though, made me cringe... but I guess when you swim that much it doesnt matter.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Here is the breakdown of his meals.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008...rge_124248.htm
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.73%

Yeah, I read 12k today. Freaking nuts.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.73%

Ok, I just read that article. 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks in one sitting? Pizza? Chocolate chip pancakes? French toast? Powdered sugar? Mayo? White bread?

Man, I'm in the wrong sport. :bb3:
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.36%

honestly guys who guys a flying **** about swimming when olympics isnt on. Nobody gives a crap about swimming and are you really telling me the top athletes go into swimming..... no wayyyy the real athletes go into fball bball and baseball
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mcneil0303 View Post
    honestly guys who guys a flying **** about swimming when olympics isnt on. Nobody gives a crap about swimming and are you really telling me the top athletes go into swimming..... no wayyyy the real athletes go into fball bball and baseball
    That is an incredibly ignorant statement. How many people do you see competing in football, basketball, and baseball on an elite level. A lot. How many do you see competing on an elite level in swimming? Not too many, because it's an incredibly difficult sport to compete at an elite level in. Just because swimming isn't a glorified sport in the US doesn't mean it doesn't have a following elsewhere.

I've lived in Australia for a few years and its a fairly big deal to them. I'm just astounded that you wouldn't consider Michael Phelps a "real athlete" when the dude is the greatest olympian EVER. How that makes him less than a "real athlete" is beyond my comprehension.

But enjoy your ride home on the short bus.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Usf97j4x4 View Post
    Yahoo news posted his 12,500 calorie/day daily diet. No way was it 12,500 but it was a lot. Very unhealthy though, made me cringe... but I guess when you swim that much it doesnt matter.
    Swimmer's diets are weird though, I saw a documentary on some older guy swimming across the english channel, and he had a big time pot belly and mostly just ate gobs & gobs of pasta with butter, etc.

I think the bottom line for them must be energy no matter where it comes from.
  13. Lift Heavy
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.96%

That was so incredibly stupid, I don't even know where to start.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

If you look at his diet... HE NEEDS CARBS. And LOTS of em. I mean three french toast, and three pancakes, plus a sh!t ton of grits.

We dont do 88K a week of swimming, or you too could eat like he does.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  15. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%

Of lord that is dumb. Try swimming a 400M strait out.... see if your little cardio program even stacks up.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Of lord that is dumb. Try swimming a 400M strait out.... see if your little cardio program even stacks up.

Adams
    Yeah really,
    Swimming is one of the best overall types of exercise for general fitness period. A lot of people don't realize how adaptive it can be, the more lean body mass you have, the stronger you have to be to swim with it, etc.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwanderer View Post
    Swimmer's diets are weird though, I saw a documentary on some older guy swimming across the english channel, and he had a big time pot belly and mostly just ate gobs & gobs of pasta with butter, etc.

I think the bottom line for them must be energy no matter where it comes from.
    That's open water swimming though. That is COLD water, and they absolutely NEED bodyfat for swims like that or their bodies will completely shut down and they will DIE out there. I was watching a documentary on a woman who swam in 50-some degree water for a couple of hours. They were talking about how most people's bodies would just shut on them after a few minutes out there, but she could just keep on going. Her bf% was like 50-something % or something ridiculous. I think she was like 5'3" 200lbs. Adding tons of bf is the only way you can swim in water that cold and survive. If I were to jump in that water I'd probably last like 30 seconds!
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

That is an incredibly ignorant statement. How many people do you see competing in football, basketball, and baseball on an elite level. A lot. How many do you see competing on an elite level in swimming? Not too many, because it's an incredibly difficult sport to compete at an elite level in. Just because swimming isn't a glorified sport in the US doesn't mean it doesn't have a following elsewhere.

I've lived in Australia for a few years and its a fairly big deal to them. I'm just astounded that you wouldn't consider Michael Phelps a "real athlete" when the dude is the greatest olympian EVER. How that makes him less than a "real athlete" is beyond my comprehension.

But enjoy your ride home on the short bus.
    oh my lord, american footballers are hardly athletes,theres maybe a few guys in tip top shape, the rest are fat fckers, and baseballis it over yet?
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I don't give a flying **** about swimming even when the Olympics are on but you can't deny Phelps' abilities as an athlete... If you do, you're pretty much an idiot.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I don't give a flying **** about swimming even when the Olympics are on but you can't deny Phelps' abilities as an athlete... If you do, you're pretty much an idiot.
    lmao x2
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    That's open water swimming though. That is COLD water, and they absolutely NEED bodyfat for swims like that or their bodies will completely shut down and they will DIE out there.
    Yeah I forgot about water temp. makes me wonder if all the 'thermogenic' ingredients used in weight reduction supps really even help, I'm sure swimmers don't get as hot as we do, and obviously guys like phelps can get shredded up pretty well.
  23. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.92%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I think in one of the recent interviews they talked about bbeing in the pool between 5-7 hours a day. No wonder he can eat the way he does. No one can deny the type of athlete he is. That is just freakish
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.55%

Alright Phelps fans, he is going for Gold #6 tonight in the 200 IM. He also has the semi finals in the 100 Fly. If he wins the 200 IM and 100 Fly Speedo is giving him a 1 million dollar bonus.
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    oh my lord, american footballers are hardly athletes,theres maybe a few guys in tip top shape, the rest are fat fckers, and baseballis it over yet?
    I think you mistook my statement. I was saying Phelps was an elite athlete and that American football players were NOT on his level. I was responding to a statement by a previous poster who said Phelps was not a "real" athlete like football players.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

i know what you meant mate. football is the USA's most popular sport right?
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

I think "best Olympic athlete of all-time" is a exaggerated, but he definitely dominates his sport like no other athlete in their domain.
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I think "best Olympic athlete of all-time" is a exaggerated, but he definitely dominates his sport like no other athlete in their domain.
    its impossible to determine. back in the early days you were only allowed to enter 4 events. there were various athletes who were capable of winning more then 9 golds in their careers but were restricted for that reason. The 1940 olympics was also cancelled which meant a few current champions were not able to add to their tallys. Fact is PHelps is amazing at what he does. I don't see why he has to be compared to anyone else.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Completely untrue. Find me another sport that harbors as many <4.3 forty yard dashers than football and I'll bow to whatever that is. Until then, football holds the best pure athletes in the world, period. Their average vertical jump is much higher than basketball players, they are much faster, more agile, and more explosive than any other athletes, the linemen are brutally strong, and the power of the running backs and some wide receivers are simply mindblowing.
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

agreed they are freaks no doubt, too bad they never get to fully utilise there speed and strength due to the stop/start nature of the NFL.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

agreed they are freaks no doubt, too bad they never get to fully utilise there speed and strength due to the stop/start nature of the NFL.
    Yeah, that does suck. 40 yard dash is an over hyped physical trial, but it does give a good indication on acceleration and speed to a degree.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22%

It was stated last night before the race that Phelps burns around 4,000 calories during his daily workout. When i heard that i almost hit the floor.
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.2%

Aussy Made, I'm not being argumentative cause you're my bud, but I gotsta stick up for American Football.

The stop and start nature, is one of the MOST athletic aspects of the game. 50 yard sprinters are greater at starting, hitting top speed in a few seconds, and maintaining top speed for a few seconds until the race ends. For American Football athletes, the stop and go is a SERIOUS exercise of agility & power. To be able to stop & go, turn and powerfully launch into a power sprint takes an enormous amount of agility, quickness & power. The whole point of those short, choppy ladder drills are to sharpen that agility and quickness. Power, as refined through Plyo's and Power Lifts, are the main propellant of being able to QUICKLY stop & go.

On the baseball note... no brother, sadly, its nowhere near over.
    NSCA - CSCS
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.2%

P.S. Don't mean to Hijack, GO PHELPS!
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.8%

Think about it being summer and your like 16 and Phelps shows up at the local pool to play marco polo. He'd be a monster, people wouldnt even have to say polo to get tagged. The only safe place is land. *shudders in fear*
  36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.2%

Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    Think about it being summer and your like 16 and Phelps shows up at the local pool to play marco polo. He'd be a monster, people wouldnt even have to say polo to get tagged. The only safe place is land. *shudders in fear*
    Unless you make your way over to the jacuzzi, then you're still technically in water
    NSCA - CSCS
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.3%

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Aussy Made, I'm not being argumentative cause you're my bud, but I gotsta stick up for American Football.

The stop and start nature, is one of the MOST athletic aspects of the game. 50 yard sprinters are greater at starting, hitting top speed in a few seconds, and maintaining top speed for a few seconds until the race ends. For American Football athletes, the stop and go is a SERIOUS exercise of agility & power. To be able to stop & go, turn and powerfully launch into a power sprint takes an enormous amount of agility, quickness & power. The whole point of those short, choppy ladder drills are to sharpen that agility and quickness. Power, as refined through Plyo's and Power Lifts, are the main propellant of being able to QUICKLY stop & go.

On the baseball note... no brother, sadly, its nowhere near over.
    i know exactly what your saying mate, what i kinda meant was the game is not free flowing enough for me to watch if that makes sense and for the guys to really unwind. im trying to get tickets to the NFL game in London so i can see what the fuss is all about but apparently over 1,000,000 applied for tickets
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.2%

i know exactly what your saying mate, what i kinda meant was the game is not free flowing enough for me to watch if that makes sense and for the guys to really unwind. im trying to get tickets to the NFL game in London so i can see what the fuss is all about but apparently over 1,000,000 applied for tickets
    I hear ya. Before I was a real fan, the only plays I could appreciate were the ones where the running back finally broke away from the line and ran a B-line to the touchdown, everything else was like, 2 yard gain, whippeee, another 2 yard gain... 4 yard gain, uggghhhh.... That's probably true for any sport, you really have to understand the intricacies to appreciate it.

My girlfriend is a baseball fanatic! So I'm dragged to the games. I kid you not, when "our" team makes a good play, I cheer because it moves the game along and the quicker outs are made, the quicker the game ends. No offense to the baseball fans out there, just not MY sport.

If my girl ever found this post, I'd be neck deep in it.
    NSCA - CSCS
  39. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    you really have to understand the intricacies to appreciate it.

No offense to the baseball fans out there, just not MY sport.
    Your point definitely applies as well to baseball. It isn't America's past time for nothing. A great over the wall rob of a homerun is just as exciting for me to watch as anything... or a 7 inning shut down by my teams starting pitcher.

Adams
    Last edited by DAdams91982; 08-15-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    The Historic PES Legend
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.93%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No matter what you say if Michael Phelps name is in the conversation the words incredible, fantastic or unbelievable would have to be used. He has put on a clinic, the man is bad-ass.

:bruce3:

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
  2. michael phelps: how is this possible?
    By julius kelp in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
  3. Michael Phelps 12,000 Cal a day diet
    By CopyCat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM