Derek Charlebois Contest Prep Thread- The Return of The Beast

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Derek Charlebois' Contest Prep Thread- The Return of the Beast

Working alongside Marc while prepping for his competitions has motivated me to follow his lead and "put my money where my mouth is" and get back on stage. My goal is to come in at the top of the light-heavies. This means I need gain 10-15 lbs of lean mass this off-season, which begins tomorrow

I strongly believe in the Scivation product line and diet strategies and feel people will benefit by watching me prepare to compete over this next year. I hope that reading my journal will give people new information and strategies to apply to themselves and their progress. This section has grown into something great; a helpful, friendly support group. The amount of logs in this forum has exploded, which makes me happy. If you look at any of the logs in this section you will see nothing but positive comments and advice/suggestions to help the logger improve.

Marc and I share a common goal; qualify for national NPC competition. This is step one in our progression. Step two is to compete nationally. Step three is to earn our pro cards. As you follow along in this journal feel free to ask questions as the goal of this journal is to not only keep me motivated and organized but also to help others reach their goals. My journal back to the competitive stage starts tomorrow (9/17/2007)!

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Here are some pics from the photoshoot in Texas last weekend:

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I will officially be starting by Lean Mass phase after the Olympia. I am not weighing anything right now, just eyeballing stuff. In 2 weeks, after the Mr. O, I will begin weighing my food again. I just need a little break from that.

Right now I am adding in some carbs pre and post workout. I am eating 75 grams pre (oatmeal + milk) and post workout.

I am sticking with my current routine:
Mon = Back
Tues = Chest
Wed = Arms
Thurs = Legs
Fri = Delts+Traps
and doing 20-30 minutes of cardio pre-workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
About where are you at right now?

BTW, your back in the pull-up pic is crazy.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Lookin good bro...best of luck to you.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck!

Are you going to be following "The lean mass diet" principles? I was looking that over, and am thinking of going that route this fall/winter.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Good luck!

Are you going to be following "The lean mass diet" principles? I was looking that over, and am thinking of going that route this fall/winter.
Yes I am. Carbs early on tapering off in the afternoon/evening and switching to veggies. Went to Costco and bought some chicken, steak, oatmeal, and a bunch of brocolli and asparagus.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im in herez...subzcribin to yer log

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes I am. Carbs early on tapering off in the afternoon/evening and switching to veggies. Went to Costco and bought some chicken, steak, oatmeal, and a bunch of brocolli and asparagus.
I think consuming the amount of veggies in this diet will be the hardest for me. lol

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think consuming the amount of veggies in this diet will be the hardest for me. lol
I've been thinking about dehydrating some broccoli florets, then grinding it into a powder for easy addition to shakes.

I honestly gag when I try to eat more than 3-4 florets.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about dehydrating some broccoli florets, then grinding it into a powder for easy addition to shakes.

I have thrown florets frozen, right into the blender, with some milk/whey, and a lil natty pb.. Turned out decently.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have thrown florets frozen, right into the blender, with some milk/whey, and a lil natty pb.. Turned out decently.
Beauty...definitely have to try this. Doesn't overwhelm with broccoli flavor?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beauty...definitely have to try this. Doesn't overwhelm with broccoli flavor?
Naw. Prob. dpends on how many you use. PB kills almost any flavor.. Also Torani Sugar free syrup, or a lil splenda,in there aswell.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I use a Lemon&Herb seasoning on my broccoli, which tastes great. I believe the brand is McCormick's or something like that.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a Lemon&Herb seasoning on my broccoli, which tastes great. I believe the brand is McCormick's or something like that.
How's the sodium content?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lemon broccoli huh, not bad. I need to work on getting my veggies up.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did Marc mention that Scivation is releasing a water-removal supplement soon?

I am noticing that sodium is having a more pronounced effect on my water retention than ever before. Must be getting old.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
this thing grew QUICK!

Good luck, Derek! I'm following.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Did Marc mention that Scivation is releasing a water-removal supplement soon?

I am noticing that sodium is having a more pronounced effect on my water retention than ever before. Must be getting old.
Yes. I believe it will be available in 6-8 weeks.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
This week's workouts

Monday = Back
Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3

Pull-Up
BW X 12, 10, 8

Bent Over Row
225 X 3
185 X 8, 6

Lat-Pulldown
200 X 6, 6, 6

Seated Cable Row
200 X 6, 6, 6

Straight-Arm Pulldown
120 X 15, 15, 15

Tuesday = Chest
Bench Press
275 X 4, 3, 3

Incline Smith Press
225 X 6
205 X 8, 8

Decline Smith Press
225 X 12
245 X 4
225 X 12

Free-Motion Flies
30 X 20
40 X 15
50 X 10

Cable Flies
30 X 15, 15, 15

Wednesday = Arms
Barbell Curl
105 X 6, 6, 6

CG Bench
225 X 3
185 X 8, 6

DB Curl
50 X 10, 10, 10

Skull Crusher
105 X 8, 8, 8

Cable Curl
150 X 15, 15

Tricep Pressdown
150 X 15, 15

Forearm BB Curl
155 X 10, 10

Hammer Pincher
150 X 10, 10

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Thursday = Legs

Squats
315 X 6, 3, 3

Seated Calf Raise
170 X 6, 5, 4

SLD
225 X 6, 3, 3

Standing Calf Raise
300 X 8
250 X 10
200 X 15

Leg Press
540 X 15, 15, 15

Friday = Delts+Traps
Military Press
185 X 4, 3

BB Shrug
315 X 8, 6

DB Shoulder Press
75 X 10, 8

BB Behind Back Shrug
315 X 10, 6

DB Side Lateral
40 X 10, 6

DB Shrug
120 X 8, 6

Rear Cable Lateral
30 X 12, 12

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You are looking really great. I need to get on a diet like yours so I can be ready for the Arnold in March

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

9/24/2007- Day #1 of Lean Mass Phase

After having a nice big cheat meal on Sunday I decided to start my lean mass phase today. I will be bulking for around 5-6 months depending on what competition I decide to enter. This week will be a little off due to traveling and working at the Mr. O expo, but I will still get all my meals in and a few extra workouts with Marc. This week my training schedule will be different so I can match mine schedule to Marc's.

Training Schedule
Mon = Chest
Tues = Legs
Wed = Back
The rest of the week will be in Vegas with Marc:
Thurs = Chest
Fri = Legs
Sat = Delts+Traps
Sun = Arms
Mon = Back (Resume original schedule back at home)

My Diet
I will be eating 7 meals a day. All meals will have around 42 grams of protein from lean meats or protein powder and 15 grams of fat from peanut butter or almonds/almond butter. Carb breakdown is as follows:
Pre-Workout = 75 grams complex carbs
Post-Workout = 75 grams complex carbs
Meals 3-6 = 10 grams carbs from Veggies and 30 grams carbs from complex carbs or fruit
Meal 7 = Just protein and fat

I count my calories by servings (you can see the food list I use in the Lean Mass Diet book). So going by the servings I will be eating:
310 grams of carbs
294 grams of protein
105 grams of fat
For a total of 3361 Calories.
Since I use the serving method, my calories are actually closer to 3500, so I will simply say my total calories at 3,500.

My Supplements
Pre-Workout
Primal EAA (1 Scoop) + Xtend (3 Scoops) + 2 grams Beta-Alanine + 2 grams Creatine Monohydrate + 2 grams Taurine

During-Workout
Primal EAA (1 Scoop) + Xtend (3 Scoops) + 2 grams Beta-Alanine + 2 grams Creatine Monohydrate + 2 grams Taurine

Other supplements used throughout the day
-Elastmine
-Cissus
-Insopro-R
-Pro-Liver
-Lean Green
-Alcalean
-ZMA

***Note I will be sipping some some Xtend+Creatine+Citrulline+Beta-Alanine+Taurine during the day and with my meals. Totals come out to about: 10 grams BCAA, 5 grams Glutamine, 2 grams of creatine, citrulline malate, beta-alanine, and Taurine. I may drink 1-2 of these a day.

9/24/2007 Workout
Cardio = 20 minutes on Treadmill

Ab/Core Warm-Up = Roman Chair Crunch, Reverse Leg Raise, Leg Raise, Hyperextension, Hanging knee raise, reverse crunch, 1 set of 15 reps each

Weights = Chest
Bench Press
275 X 3, 3, 3
My goal is to get this back up to 315 for 3.

Incline Smith Press
225 X 10, 8, 6

Decline Smith Press
225 X 10, 8, 6

Free Motion Flies
50 X 15
60 X 12, 10

Free Motion Cable Crossovers
40 X 12, 12, 10
Going to decrease the weight a tad on this next week and my form wasn't as good as I would like it to be.

Great workout! While I no longer think my chest is a weak point I still want to bring it up in both its mass and overall shape. Using the smith machine for my incline and decline presses allows me to totally focus on the pecs. I feel this routine will work very well for what I am trying to accomplish.

I'm just gonna list my meals so far today and what I will be eating:
Meals 1 and 2
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Chocolate Whey
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 3
-6 oz. Steak (top round)
-8 oz. Asparagus
-4 oz. Sweet Potato with 1 TBSP Almond Butter on Top

Meal 4
-6 oz. Chicken
-1 Cup Brocolli
-4 oz. Sweet Potato with 1 TBSP Almond Butter on Top

Meal 5
-2 Scoop Protein Powder
-1/2 Cup Oatmeal
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 6
-Probably same as meal 4 or Eggs

Meal 7
-2 Scoops Ultra Peptide
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Note: Meal 5 will usually be a solid food meal. I worked out later than usual today so I had to "cram" a meal in :)

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
9-25-2007

Core Warm-Up

Weights = LEGS

Squats
315 X 3, 3, 3

Seated Calf Raise
180 X 5, 4, 3

SLD
185 X 10, 8, 6

Standing Calf Raise
300 X 8, 8, 8

Leg Press
540 X 15
630 X 12, 10

I am finding it hard to get all 7 meals in a day, not the quantity of food, just the eating frequency. I am going to switch back to 6 meals a day like I normally do. I will be readjusting my macronutrient breakdown and then I will repost it.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
9-26-2007

Man oh man I did not want to get out of bed today lol. But I got up and ate my oatmeal breakfast and then headed to the gym.

Core Warm-Up

Weights = BACK
This workout is usually on Monday but I am rearranging my schedule this week to workout with Marc. I was leery about doing deadlifts the day after squats but I did not have any lower back issues :)

Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3
Time to start adding weight to the bar on this!

Pull-ups/Bent Over Row (Reverse Grip)
Bw X 10/185 X 10
BW X 8/185 X 8
BW X 6/185 X 6

Lat Pulldown/Seated Cable Row
200 X 6/200 X 6
175 X 8/175 X 8
175 X 8/175 X 8

Straight-Arm Pulldown
120 X 12
130 X 12, 12

Another good workout in the books! I fly out to Vegas early tomorrow morning and then Marc and I will be hitting Chest. Friday we have legs. Saturday Delts+Traps and Arms on Sunday.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
have fun in Vegas!

wish i was joining you guys! Next Year! :thumbsup:

tattoopierced1

how would you go about dehydrating them? I have the same problem you have with the broccoli

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how would you go about dehydrating them? I have the same problem you have with the broccoli
Food dehydrator. Should be able to grab one for $40 and test this out.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Cool. I'll be watching this.

On a side note, Derek, I was wondering if maybe you could throw up some simple recipes and simple cooking instructions every now and then. I've seen some of your meals before and they usually look tasty. I suck at cooking and my diet suffers from it big-time.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cool. I'll be watching this.

On a side note, Derek, I was wondering if maybe you could throw up some simple recipes and simple cooking instructions every now and then. I've seen some of your meals before and they usually look tasty. I suck at cooking and my diet suffers from it big-time.
i second that............

That should be the next scivation book..........Recipes for the average BB'er.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I will restart my log soon. Got a lot to do since I was at the Mr. O all week.

Here are a couple pics of me from our Chest workout in Vegas:

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
Good luck in your prep, Derek.

BTW - it was nice meeting you at the Heart of Texas. Wish we had time to chat more. But Marc was talking my ear off already. ;) :D

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Good luck in your prep, Derek.

BTW - it was nice meeting you at the Heart of Texas. Wish we had time to chat more. But Marc was talking my ear off already. ;) :D
Thanks. Marc does like to talk :bruce2:

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Introduction to my Lean Mass Phase (I had to take out all the pics for the file to be small enough, but the full version will be on BB.com very soon).

Attachments