Substance WPI grape problem

blazinred

Awards
Ok, Im not a person that has difficult taste buds, but I have a new jug of grape WPI and this stuff is rancid! This before it was reformed was my favorite protein and probally went through 5 jugs but this is a combo of sweaty jockstrap and MSG flavored with old grapes, its BAD! Has their bein anyone else who has had this problem? I bought it at nutraplanet, another sponser and its all new and will not drink the rest....

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok, Im not a person that has difficult taste buds, but I have a new jug of grape WPI and this stuff is rancid! This before it was reformed was my favorite protein and probally went through 5 jugs but this is a combo of sweaty jockstrap and MSG flavored with old grapes, its BAD! Has their bein anyone else who has had this problem? I bought it at nutraplanet, another sponser and its all new and will not drink the rest....
It is a great selling protein. If you are not satisfied, please return to Nutraplanet and I will credit his account.

blazinred

Awards
It is a great selling protein. If you are not satisfied, please return to Nutraplanet and I will credit his account.
I wasnt saying it wasnt, im wondering if you had a problem with it and werent gonna write me off as some bum dissing your protein.

Has anyone noticed a change besides less clumping with the new formula?

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wasnt saying it wasnt, im wondering if you had a problem with it and werent gonna write me off as some bum dissing your protein.

Has anyone noticed a change besides less clumping with the new formula?
This is the first complaint on the grape I've seen.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When did the formula change? I gave up on Substance Grape because of the mixing issues. I would be willing to try it again if I knew this was fixed.

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When did the formula change? I gave up on Substance Grape because of the mixing issues. I would be willing to try it again if I knew this was fixed.
It changed about a year ago.

Carb

Awards
It mixes effortlessly now. Grape & oatmeal is simply divine.

conanster

Awards
I second that on the new formula not having any problems.
I talked to Marc at the Ironman booth last week and told him the last batch of Watermelon subtstance I had mixed up like concrete. He asked me try the "new and improved" version (and he let me bring some home for a GREAT price!) and it mixes about as easily as can be expected. Good stuff!

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anyone have problems with an insane amount of bubbles after mixing?

conanster

Awards
Anyone have problems with an insane amount of bubbles after mixing?
I did with the older version (probably because I would shake it or use the blender try and get the stuff to mix). The newer version can be mixed with a spoon (from my experience) and that seems to keep the bubbles at bay.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool Cool, now I just need to figure out a use for this crappy old stuff.

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
When they changed the formulas for both flavors I had to quit buying them. Just don't like the new flavor, they have a sort of rancid after taste to them. :sad:

blazinred

Awards
When they changed the formulas for both flavors I had to quit buying them. Just don't like the new flavor, they have a sort of rancid after taste to them. :sad:
Yes,this is what im talking about!! Noone at all has tasted both flavors and not noticed this?

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes,this is what im talking about!! Noone at all has tasted both flavors and not noticed this?
Sales have increase dramatically since improving Substance. This is a minority opinion.

blazinred

Awards
Sales have increase dramatically since improving Substance. This is a minority opinion.

I was hoping this was a "bad batch" because i found myself not liking the new watermelon either but chalked it up to just different taste, this taste is rather rancid. If i am the minority wont you just say its possible its a bad batch possiblity? Your response seems lackluster and non-caring about the issue. To many times now-a-days this not caring approach breaks or sells a small company and the big companies dont seem to care about the smaller guy which they dont need.

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was hoping this was a "bad batch" because i found myself not liking the new watermelon either but chalked it up to just different taste, this taste is rather rancid. If i am the minority wont you just say its possible its a bad batch possiblity? Your response seems lackluster and non-caring about the issue. To many times now-a-days this not caring approach breaks or sells a small company and the big companies dont seem to care about the smaller guy which they dont need.
We have never had a bad batch of Substance.

Lackluster and non-caring? You don't like a protein that is widely enjoyed by many. Other than offering to replace your bottle, what would you like me to do? We go above and beyond any other company in regards to customer service.

If it is too jockstrap-like to enjoy, please return it to Nutrplanet and I will credit their account. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee with our retailers.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Blaz, it really sounds like you have a funky batch. I know Scivation is saying otherwise, but the Watermelon flavor is very sweet. I think you have malfunctioning tastebuds.

blazinred

Awards
We have never had a bad batch of Substance.

Lackluster and non-caring? You don't like a protein that is widely enjoyed by many. Other than offering to replace your bottle, what would you like me to do? We go above and beyond any other company in regards to customer service.

If it is too jockstrap-like to enjoy, please return it to Nutrplanet and I will credit their account. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee with our retailers.
Please dont take this the wrong way it was meant to point out and meant in a way to help.Im not looking for a handout or anything i just thought a company such as yours would have a much different response as to being somewhat defensive i would have thought. BTW i could easily drink the watermelon flavor and saw nothing wrong with that just dint like the flavor as much as other watermelon flavors. My purpose of this post was not to hurt but to see for 1. this is not the normal taste of the new grape, 2. if anyone else had this problem why havent i heard about it?

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Please dont take this the wrong way it was meant to point out and meant in a way to help.Im not looking for a handout or anything i just thought a company such as yours would have a much different response as to being somewhat defensive i would have thought. BTW i could easily drink the watermelon flavor and saw nothing wrong with that just dint like the flavor as much as other watermelon flavors. My purpose of this post was not to hurt but to see for 1. this is not the normal taste of the new grape, 2. if anyone else had this problem why havent i heard about it?
I offered a return and denied having a bad batch because I know we have never had one. What should I have done differently?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You better hold him to it then. Hey Beast, you heard the big boss man. Get to work, starting with blazinred.

blazinred

Awards
I offered a return and denied having a bad batch because I know we have never had one. What should I have done differently?

You offered for me to send it back to my retailer for them to take care of it and for you to credit it. This is fine. Thank you. Your saying its not a bad batch case so now im led to belive grape taste rancid IMO and wonder why i have such different taste then other people on this forum.

Nattdog, your boyish humor is very cute, maybe i will prefer you to give me such an act since you have a habit of offering such male acts so quickly in a business situation. Do you always perform such acts as business?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Nattdog, your boyish humor is very cute, maybe i will prefer you to give me such an act since you have a habit of offering such male acts so quickly in a business situation. Do you always perform such acts as business?
If that's what you have to do to get a "head" sometimes, then so be it. ;) :lol:

ChuckRD

Awards
Obviously its the only protein that I use and I am addicted to Grape. The watermelon to me is a bit too sweet. I would be the first to say if I noticed anything since I am the one flavoring these WPIs. Everybody's taste buds are different no doubt. Rather shocking though that the NEW and Improved formula and flavoring and mixability has been out for so long and this is the first complaint I have received or heard of.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I had mixing problems with old formula.

Never a problem with new & improved.

Taste is always on point.

O/T
Hey ChuckRD,
If you are ever in the Northeast doing a conference please post it up. Even better if CPE's are available for RD's, then I could get it paid for.

ChuckRD

Awards
I had mixing problems with old formula.

Never a problem with new & improved.

Taste is always on point.

O/T
Hey ChuckRD,
If you are ever in the Northeast doing a conference please post it up. Even better if CPE's are available for RD's, then I could get it paid for.
You got it man.

blazinred

Awards
Obviously its the only protein that I use and I am addicted to Grape. The watermelon to me is a bit too sweet. I would be the first to say if I noticed anything since I am the one flavoring these WPIs. Everybody's taste buds are different no doubt. Rather shocking though that the NEW and Improved formula and flavoring and mixability has been out for so long and this is the first complaint I have received or heard of.
Hey chuck, nice to see you reply. I have to admit im a fan of some of your work. Anyways, I must say this is the new formula, but it is not quite new, ive had it over a couple of months. I havent opened it since i was waiting for my other proteins to be used up. Im gonna go ahead and send it back and try another one, this is not a "bad flavor" taste. I use protein powders way to much due to my GI system being screwed up most of the time and used the grape flavor as a staple, so im what you could consider a protein connaisseur.

ChuckRD

Awards
Hey chuck, nice to see you reply. I have to admit im a fan of some of your work. Anyways, I must say this is the new formula, but it is not quite new, ive had it over a couple of months. I havent opened it since i was waiting for my other proteins to be used up. Im gonna go ahead and send it back and try another one, this is not a "bad flavor" taste. I use protein powders way to much due to my GI system being screwed up most of the time and used the grape flavor as a staple, so im what you could consider a protein connaisseur.
Please keep me posted. Before you return it, can you tell me the lot number so i pull a retained sample and test it to make sure it is what I made? Hey with blending and bottling younever know if the bottle you got was the last few to be ran and that the citric acid was in too high concentration. It should not do that, but **** happens.

ChuckRD

Awards
5234j10 1851
exp. 08/22/2007
On it, I will have you my thoughts after the Arnold likely, unless I can get it over nighted to my house. I wll let you know. Actually I may have that in my warehouse. I will look tonight and get back to you tomorrow. thanks for your cooperation.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
You got it man.
By the way, do you belong to the SCAN DPG of the ADA? If so, is it worth it?

Also, take advantage of the board sponsor status that you share with scivation and upgrade to receive PM's and such. That way us folk on the board would know who and what Co. you are asscoiated with. Just an idea.

ChuckRD

Awards
By the way, do you belong to the SCAN DPG of the ADA? If so, is it worth it?

Also, take advantage of the board sponsor status that you share with scivation and upgrade to receive PM's and such. That way us folk on the board would know who and what Co. you are asscoiated with. Just an idea.
I signed up for SCAN with my fist renewal 4 years ago and never got anything, so I droopped it. Not worth it to me. Thanks for the upgrade info, once i get back from the arnold I defintely wll.

ChuckRD

Awards
Just pulled and tried. This lot is perfectly perfect.
I have to say I just tried mine yesterday too. It mixed well, nice flavor (citric acid is prominant which some can consider "rancid"), however, I took it to the 4 kids across the street and all 4 loved it....That is my true test. When children and or regular active people like my flavoring, I know a fitness, bodybuilder, performance athlete will like it too. The only other think I can think of is that the bottle got too hot (hot and humid weather in transit) and maybe broke down some flavoring or WPI. Hmmmm

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I hate to say it but I am having clumping problems with #5234J10 1851, exp 08/22/2007.

I just finished a bottle of 5234J10 1839, exp 08/22/2007 and had no issues.

I have gone thru no less than 4-2lb containers of the "New & Improved" in the past few months and have had no flavor or clumping issues. I have 2 jugs in the closet from different lots. I say this so you know it is not my first time using the product and that I obviously like it.

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I hate to say it but I am having clumping problems with #5234J10 1851, exp 08/22/2007.

I just finished a bottle of 5234J10 1839, exp 08/22/2007 and had no issues.

I have gone thru no less than 4-2lb containers of the "New & Improved" in the past few months and have had no flavor or clumping issues. I have 2 jugs in the closet from different lots. I say this so you know it is not my first time using the product and that I obviously like it.
Those are the same lot.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
:blink:

That's strange. That ever happen before?

Would the container being in direct sunlight and possibly heating up a bit effect the product?

EDIT:
Believe it or not, this is a shaker bottle issue. I just purchased a new one from the Vitamin Shoppe (bodytech) and it doesn't have the standard mesh screen. I used my older for my last 2 batches and had no problems.

Thanks for your response and sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited: