Captain of Crush!

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the "Captain of Crush" series of hand grippers to improve grip strength? They are made by "Iron Minds" and here is a Wikipedia link to them describing them... Captains of Crush Grippers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I purchased the Trainer & the #1 to start with and not long after (3 mos.) I purchased the #1.5 & #2. I think they work awesome and are very well crafted and they have helped me increase the Lbs I'm able to lift or should I say pull in my back exercises, especially dead lifts, without the use of straps! Anyway, I think they are awesome, just wanted to see if anyone else out there had an opinion?

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
These things rock!!!! My wife bought me the 1-2 I am loving these.

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
Ha! I just bought a pair of these; in fact I got them in the mail yesterday. I went ahead and order another pair up and the extend your hand bands too. Looking forward to getting some results and not needing straps or chalk for heavy deads!

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These things rock!!!! My wife bought me the 1-2 I am loving these.
How about the quality? Your not gonna break those things!

Have you seen the little tiny one they have for your finger grip strength? It is small and light enough to run through all your fingers individually opposing your thumb!

They have even created an entire program on how to have "CRUSHING" grip strength in a matter of months, teaches you how to practice and run through the different grippers slowly but surely working your way up to the "CRUSHING" grip strength required to close the #4 (365Lbs)!

Last, but not least, they came out with some new ones a few years back, they made additional levels to help people transition from #1 to #2 to #3 etc. So they now have #1.5, #2.5, & a #3.5. I currently own a Trainer, #1, #1.5, & a #2, I would like to own the whole set.

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Quality can not be beat. As for the whole set I think only four people have correctly done the #4. I am good with my 1-2 for now maybe a 2.5 later on.

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quality can not be beat. As for the whole set I think only four people have correctly done the #4. I am good with my 1-2 for now maybe a 2.5 later on.
I am in no way saying I think I can close the #4 and to my knowledge it is only a handful of people in the world that have successfully closed the #4, which I believe has to be done at a special place and you need to hold a piece of paper for like 2 seconds between the closed grips and that is considered a successful close, something like that, I don't know exactly, but it isn't just being able to get it half shut and that is for sure.

I just wish I had the whole set to motivate myself to move up a level. My friend has a #3 and he can almost close it, I can't even come close in my mind, but I can close the #2 for a solid 10 reps, so if I had the #2.5 & the #3, just like anything else, if I dedicated myself to doing rep after rep every day I would bet I could close the #3 within 6-12 mos. Hehehe, then I would have no choice but to buy the #3.5 & #4, would probably never achieve that goal, but I tell you what, I'd be laying on my death bed still cranking them out saying out loud in that near death gasping voice..."musttt.... Close the #4......" beeeeeppppppp, paddles he's crashing, paddles!!! LOL

"I'm in it to win-it!!!" "I'll quit when I die!"

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
I agree with you on the motivation part.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have CoC #1 & #2. I'm incredibly weak with them :D I've never managed to close the #2 and I'm very tempted to buy Trainer and #1.5 too...

But still I've never had any problems with grip and I never use straps when I am training my back. I can deadlift +400lbs with overhand grip without any problems... I think my static grip is much better than "maximal grip". How much you guys can lift with Rolling Thunder?

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have CoC #1 & #2. I'm incredibly weak with them :D I've never managed to close the #2 and I'm very tempted to buy Trainer and #1.5 too...

But still I've never had any problems with grip and I never use straps when I am training my back. I can deadlift +400lbs with overhand grip without any problems... I think my static grip is much better than "maximal grip". How much you guys can lift with Rolling Thunder?
Not familiar with Rolling Thunder? But I have worked my way up in the past, not now, but had worked my way up in the past where I could close the #2 for around 5-10 reps, literally just now, I tried and was unsuccessful in closing the #2 for one rep, but was able to close the #1.5 for a solid 5 reps. Ya know, maybe I should start a log and see how quickly I can get to a #2.5 or even the #3, I have small hands, so I doubt I would ever surpass the #3! But like I said before, "I'm in it to win it, I'll quit when I'm dead!"

Hmmm, I could log my daily reps and show weekly progress with the number of times I could close a number, usually if I can close a # approx. 10 times then I can close the one above it 3+ times... this might be good! Got any takers??? Who would like to see a thread like this?

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The title to this thread would read: [Is ScottyDoc MAN enough to become a "Captain of Crush?"] or [ScottyDoc's Quest to become one of the elite "Captains of Crush!"] anybody have any suggestions, I mean come on... ya gotta have a kewl title!

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd read it :)

Rolling Thunder:

If I don't remember it wrong, the handle is 2" and it rolls. Very hard to lift. One guy at my gym can lift almost 200lbs with it, his forearms are huge.

About Captains of Crush grippers... Here in Finland is one guy who has unofficially closed CoC #4 at age of 16! Here is old vid of him closing CoC #3: YouTube - 15 Years Old Miikael Closed Coc#3 CCS
But that guy is genetic freak, bench press is almost 400lbs, deadlift will soon be 600lbs and guns are over 21" :O

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
I would follow a COC log. I like the ScootyDoc quest to become elite captain COC.

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd read it :)

Rolling Thunder:

If I don't remember it wrong, the handle is 2" and it rolls. Very hard to lift. One guy at my gym can lift almost 200lbs with it, his forearms are huge.

About Captains of Crush grippers... Here in Finland is one guy who has unofficially closed CoC #4 at age of 16! Here is old vid of him closing CoC #3: YouTube - 15 Years Old Miikael Closed Coc#3 CCS
But that guy is genetic freak, bench press is almost 400lbs, deadlift will soon be 600lbs and guns are over 21" :O
Woah... like Mucho Impresionante!!!

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would follow a COC log. I like the ScootyDoc quest to become elite captain COC.
Well I presently own: Trainer, #1, #1.5, & #2, so I will have to purchase a #2.5 & a #3 in order to make this a viable log, because I'm sure I will get back to my status of being able to do the #2 5-10 x's within a month or so!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Very interesting lets see what you can do. I may have to check into these.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where are you at with this? I have the Trainer, 1 and 2. I've been close to closing the #2 with my right hand, but hurt my left wrist a month ago and lost a lot of grip strength there, still hasn't recovered.

The things are beast though, I love getting friends to try them!

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where are you at with this? I have the Trainer, 1 and 2. I've been close to closing the #2 with my right hand, but hurt my left wrist a month ago and lost a lot of grip strength there, still hasn't recovered.

The things are beast though, I love getting friends to try them!
Honestly, I have not been working on it, last time I was into it pretty good I was doing multiple drop sets moving up and down with the different levels at least 3, sometimes 5 days a week, at that time my best was closing the #2 approx. 10 times with my right hand and 5 times with my left, always a pretty big difference between the two! Funny too because when my friends would see me doing it, the of course had to make some sort of Smart-A$$ comment like, "Of course AL is awesome at this, he masterbates more than any other human alive, etc." LoL, I don't care all in good fun... I mean it was funny!

Craksterone

Awards
CoC grippers are the gold standard in the grip world. That basically means they are the reference for all other grippers as far as difficulty is concerned. There other great quality grippers out there as well, e.g. Robert Baraban, Warren Tettings and Beef Builders.

There only five people on the list for the #4 with the last one being done in 2004. However, those closes were done using the old rules that didn't require the credit card set. There has not been anyone officially close the #4 under the current rules.

Also, grippers don't do much for grip on the deadlift. The thumb is your weak link during the DL, and grippers don't train your thumb. To train your thumb strength you should focus on thick bar work (e.g. the Rolling Thunder), pinch work (e.g. plate pinching) and of course deadlifting without straps.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Yeah I had the one and I closed it then bought the 2.5 and I "lost" it then I got the #3 and I've had it for more than a year and half but I don't work on it at all. I need to start on it cause this thing was expensive.

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I had the one and I closed it then bought the 2.5 and I "lost" it then I got the #3 and I've had it for more than a year and half but I don't work on it at all. I need to start on it cause this thing was expensive.
I'm not trying to be an A$$, but $20 is expensive???

How much did you pay?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm not trying to be an A$$, but $20 is expensive???

How much did you pay?
Haha... WELL $20.00 is VERY expensive for a paper weight, but when he begins using them $20 will be a reasonable price for a grip worker. ;)

Ain't I a stinkah! :firedevil:

adamlau

Awards
I believe CoC grippers used to be more than twenty dollars per. I was crushing #1 for reps years ago and distinctly remember not purchasing #2 because I could not afford it at the time. Right now, I have been practicing trying to explosively close #T being hung from the ceiling, not allowing myself time to properly position the gripper in my hands. More of a hand-eye coordination move I saw in an online article by John Brookfield a while back...

antknee02

antknee02

Awards
at my best i was able to close the #2 10-15 times with my right and i could close the #1 with my thumb and first two fingers..i gave the 3 a good ride but, really, never came close. after a while the #2 got really painful..

i have 1,2 coc grippers
rolling thunder- sold it to a buddy
twist yo grip
leverage bar w/ thick handle
wrist roller..

i dont play with the stuff alot anymore but when i did, my forearms were jacked gooooooood..

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
at my best i was able to close the #2 10-15 times with my right and i could close the #1 with my thumb and first two fingers..i gave the 3 a good ride but, really, never came close. after a while the #2 got really painful..

i have 1,2 coc grippers
rolling thunder- sold it to a buddy
twist yo grip
leverage bar w/ thick handle
wrist roller..

i dont play with the stuff alot anymore but when i did, my forearms were jacked gooooooood..
****ing BEAST! Remember not to grab your winny too hard when your fapping. With that kind of strength you might just rip it off :lol:

ScottyDoc

ScottyDoc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe CoC grippers used to be more than twenty dollars per. I was crushing #1 for reps years ago and distinctly remember not purchasing #2 because I could not afford it at the time. Right now, I have been practicing trying to explosively close #T being hung from the ceiling, not allowing myself time to properly position the gripper in my hands. More of a hand-eye coordination move I saw in an online article by John Brookfield a while back...
WoW... That sounds interesting, can you put a link up to that article if you know where to find it, would love a good read?