dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok...I need everyone's input here. I am doing my budget for the next 3 months, and just received final cost for NOxidant.

THis is the formula, for those that missed it:
Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving % DV*

Gamma-Tocopherol 500 mg 50%
Selenium (.2%)
(yielding 200 mcg Selenium) 100 mg 0%
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg 0%
Grape Seed Extract 200 mg 0%
Green Tea Extract (50%) 300 mg †
Quercetin 200 mg †
Apple Polyphenols (60%) 300 mg †
Zinc Aspartate (20%)
(standardized to 10mg zinc) 50 mg †
Copper Gluconate (20%)
(yielding 100mcg copper) 500 mcg †
Manganese Chelate - (20%)
(yielding .2mg Manganese) 1 mg †
Vitamin C 250 mg †

It is designed to quench free radicals (Reactive Nitrogen Species, mostly) and contains one of the most potent anti-oxidants known to man (Apple Polyphenols). Feedback on the product was stellar, but at the time it was too expensive to continue running.

This is a formula that I designed for Scivation a few years ago that they discontinued. What I need to know is:

Would you purchase this product at a $15.95 price tag?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok...I need everyone's input here. I am doing my budget for the next 3 months, and just received final cost for NOxidant.

THis is the formula, for those that missed it:
Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving % DV*

Gamma-Tocopherol 500 mg 50%
Selenium (.2%)
(yielding 200 mcg Selenium) 100 mg 0%
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg 0%
Grape Seed Extract 200 mg 0%
Green Tea Extract (50%) 300 mg †
Quercetin 200 mg †
Apple Polyphenols (60%) 300 mg †
Zinc Aspartate (20%)
(standardized to 10mg zinc) 50 mg †
Copper Gluconate (20%)
(yielding 100mcg copper) 500 mcg †
Manganese Chelate - (20%)
(yielding .2mg Manganese) 1 mg †
Vitamin C 250 mg †

It is designed to quench free radicals (Reactive Nitrogen Species, mostly) and contains one of the most potent anti-oxidants known to man (Apple Polyphenols). Feedback on the product was stellar, but at the time it was too expensive to continue running.

This is a formula that I designed for Scivation a few years ago that they discontinued. What I need to know is:

Would you purchase this product at a $15.95 price tag?
I think that's a good price for the broad spectrum of anti-oxidants it contains. A great product by its ingredients. I think it would compliment gut health very well in overall health benefits and effects......maybe even a combo deal with gut health would be sweet.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I would Dsade.

Though - I did get about 5 bottles when it was dropped to about $10 (so a bit disappointing I can't get it at that again).

But - I know good and well that price was a "hey - just make room for something else" price and not a long term viable one.

You have an ETA?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would Dsade.

Though - I did get about 5 bottles when it was dropped to about $10 (so a bit disappointing I can't get it at that again).

But - I know good and well that price was a "hey - just make room for something else" price and not a long term viable one.

You have an ETA?

We got the support pledge from BB.com already, as well as my main distributor. Since the ACTUAL profit on this product is only around $1.50 a bottle we would need to sell around 700 bottles to break even from a 1000 bottle run.

Depending on how everything else does, I am wiling to be patient just to get the product out (one of the few supplements I have a love affair with, and notice POTENTLY). It is also one of the only, if not the only, product containing Apple Polyphenols, which could take a whole article up talking about IT.

Lead time is 6 weeks, which means we are looking at around 2 months realistically.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
We got the support pledge from BB.com already, as well as my main distributor. Since the ACTUAL profit on this product is only around $1.50 a bottle we would need to sell around 700 bottles to break even from a 1000 bottle run.

Depending on how everything else does, I am wiling to be patient just to get the product out (one of the few supplements I have a love affair with, and notice POTENTLY). It is also one of the only, if not the only, product containing Apple Polyphenols, which could take a whole article up talking about IT.

Lead time is 6 weeks, which means we are looking at around 2 months realistically.
What exactly did you notice from it?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What exactly did you notice from it?
mental and physical well-being. Less "run-down". I feel..."healthy" while taking NOxidants.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
The research on the ingredients is enough for me to use it post-WO with the NO boosting supps.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How many caps per bottle? (Did I miss that?)

Update - yes, I did. 90 caps per bottle. Darn - I hate public humiliation.

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Would you consider updating the formula at all?

Three small suggestionsl:

1. Remove the green tea - Green tea is widely available now, even at our lovely Nutraplanet for very reasonable prices. If we want to supplement w/ it, we can.

2. Increase of the dose of apply polyphenols

3. Have you looking into cocoa polyphenols?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The research on the ingredients is enough for me to use it post-WO with the NO boosting supps.
My thoughts as well. The name is definitely appropriate, but I'm not sure how many people realize the need for the product. Nothing a little good marketing couldn't take cate of though.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My thoughts as well. The name is definitely appropriate, but I'm not sure how many people realize the need for the product. Nothing a little good marketing couldn't take cate of though.
Exactly....nothing a little big pimpin wouldn't fix. I think many people don't realize the potentially serious underlying effects of free radical damage. Anti-oxidants have so many very positive health benefits.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I think that's a good price for the broad spectrum of anti-oxidants it contains. A great product by its ingredients. I think it would compliment gut health very well in overall health benefits and effects......maybe even a combo deal with gut health would be sweet.
Gut Health + NOxidant, good idea if I've ever heard one.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gut Health + NOxidant, good idea if I've ever heard one.
Yes sir it would be very nice indeed. :D Two very good products that produce so many positive benefits healthwise.

zachattack43

zachattack43

Awards
I'm down. I really want this and will get my family to buy some

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bumper for Dsade

Would you consider updating the formula at all?

Three small suggestionsl:

1. Remove the green tea - Green tea is widely available now, even at our lovely Nutraplanet for very reasonable prices. If we want to supplement w/ it, we can.

2. Increase of the dose of apply polyphenols

3. Have you looking into cocoa polyphenols?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bumper for Dsade
The apple polyphenols are BY FAR the most expensive piece of this formula, followed by the natural d-gamma-tocopherol. We had to have these specially imported. Again, Noxidant is pretty much the only formula on the market that uses them.

Cocoa polyphenols seem to overlap the apple polyphenols in function, and I would have to start from scratch sourcing and importing.

As far as green tea...there are also just as many people out there that do not take green tea everyday. The marketing approach for this will eventually be mainstream, so I am going to leave them in.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly....nothing a little big pimpin wouldn't fix. I think many people don't realize the potentially serious underlying effects of free radical damage. Anti-oxidants have so many very positive health benefits.
I dunno. I know a lot of people eating obscure foods and supplements because "they're a great source of antioxidants" with the rationale, "I don't know what an antioxidant is, but it's supposed to be good for you."

In the case of BHT (butylated-hydroxytoluene/ butylated-methylphenol), an antioxidant used to preserve bread, which can prevent certain cancers at the cost of causing others. The definition of an antioxidant is something that doesn't propagate when it reacts with a free radical (usually stabilized by resonance from a phenol hanging out somewhere).

Please don't misinterpret my post. NOxidant is a pretty solid formulation, full of essential vitamins, minerals, and GOOD antioxidants. My argument here is merely that I don't think antioxidants (in general) are underrated.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sinner,
We add BHT to quite a few towers that foul in an oxygen-induced free radical polymerization.

We have a better (but slightly more expensive) free radical scavenger that we add to more critical towers.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno. I know a lot of people eating obscure foods and supplements because "they're a great source of antioxidants" with the rationale, "I don't know what an antioxidant is, but it's supposed to be good for you."

In the case of BHT (butylated-hydroxytoluene/ butylated-methylphenol), an antioxidant used to preserve bread, which can prevent certain cancers at the cost of causing others. The definition of an antioxidant is something that doesn't propagate when it reacts with a free radical (usually stabilized by resonance from a phenol hanging out somewhere).

Please don't misinterpret my post. NOxidant is a pretty solid formulation, full of essential vitamins, minerals, and GOOD antioxidants. My argument here is merely that I don't think antioxidants (in general) are underrated.
I totally understand what you're saying sin, but i wasn't really saying antioxidants are underrated by any means. You made some very good points. I think many people like you said don't understand what antioxidants are, or their primary mechanism of action in the human body of blocking the process of oxidation by neutralizing free radicals/chains. As a result the major health benefits include preventing damage to cells, protein and dna. However, there are so many endogenous and exogenous causes of free radical development that it's impossible to avoid free radical damage irregardless.

The effectiveness of any given antioxidant in the body depends on which free radical is involved, how and where it is generated, and where the target of damage is. Thus, while in one particular system an antioxidant may protect against free radicals, in other systems it could have no effect at all. I agree that NOxidant does a good job in covering many of the very good antioxidants which was kinda what i was getting at when i said broad spectrum coverage in a prior post. Some antioxidants like you said can individually have both positive and negative attributes associated with them in their overall role.

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The apple polyphenols are BY FAR the most expensive piece of this formula, followed by the natural d-gamma-tocopherol. We had to have these specially imported. Again, Noxidant is pretty much the only formula on the market that uses them.

Cocoa polyphenols seem to overlap the apple polyphenols in function, and I would have to start from scratch sourcing and importing.

As far as green tea...there are also just as many people out there that do not take green tea everyday. The marketing approach for this will eventually be mainstream, so I am going to leave them in.
Great reply. I am definitely in to buy a few of these.

Is d-gamma-toco just one type of the 8 different forms of vitamin E? I think Primordial just came out w/ a product that had them all, derived from palm fruit.

Why use only one form, is there some special attribute to it?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1: BMC Chem Biol. 2007 Jul 3;7:2.Click here to read Click here to read Links
Enhancement of intracellular gamma-tocopherol levels in cytokine-stimulated C3H 10T1/2 fibroblasts: relation to NO synthesis, isoprostane formation, and tocopherol oxidation.
Tanaka Y, Wood LA, Cooney RV.

University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center, Natural Products and Cancer Biology Program, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Stimulation of C3H 10T1/2 murine fibroblasts with interferon-gamma(IFN) and bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) generates reactive oxygen and nitrogen species leading to DNA damage, lipid oxidation, and tocopherol oxidation. The tocopherols possess unique chemical and biological properties that suggest they have important roles related to intracellular defense against radical-mediated damage. RESULTS: Despite increased levels of reactive oxidants and decreased media tocopherol, cellular levels of gamma-tocopherol, but not alpha-tocopherol, were observed to increase significantly when cells were treated with IFN/LPS. Inhibition of nitric oxide (NO) synthesis by a specific inhibitor of inducible NO synthase (iNOS) increased both intracellular alpha-tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol concentrations, but did not significantly alter the reduction in media tocopherol levels caused by IFN/LPS treatment. Both exposure to exogenous NO and cellular synthesis of NO in cell culture increased media levels of 8-epi-prostaglandin F2alpha, a marker of oxidative lipid damage, whereas inhibition of endogenous NO synthesis reduced media 8-epi-prostaglandin F2alpha formation to control levels. CONCLUSION: Elevated intracellular levels of gamma-tocopherol in response to the cellular inflammatory state may indicate that it serves a unique role in minimizing cellular damage resulting from endogenous NO synthesis. Results of the current study suggest that NO is an important mediator of damage within the cell, as well as in the oxidation of both alpha- and gamma-tocopherols. The paradoxical increase in cellular tocopherol associated with the induction of NO synthesis may indicate either enhanced cellular transport/decreased export for tocopherols or recruitment of free tocopherol from tocopherol storage molecules.

PMID: 17608946 [PubMed]

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think i'd buy it, at least one bottle to try and see how I feel

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I think that's a good price, but I'm on the fence. I would really like to see your info on the apple polyphenols, Dsade. What make them so special?

Also, I know that you are marketing this more towards people who are going to be in the mainstream, but I personally don't care for the extra zinc and that much extra selenium. Most of the good multi vit/min have plenty, even for athletes, plus there are lots of other suplements that contain those minerals in their formulas as well.

If you keep the formula the way it is, what possibility would there be of seeing something else that includes apple polyphenols and maybe the gamma-e? Maybe cocao polyphenols?

KoreanBB

KoreanBB

Awards
I'd buy a bottle and take probably in the morning and before sleep.