Bobu, exzema, and peanut allergy???

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
DSADE,

I have used Bobu on some slight exzema I get on my lower shins and elbows during the change of seasons and winter and gotten excellent results with both a reduction of the itch and the irritation itself. I am not sure if other users have gotten results similar for this use. I am lucky because the exzema I get is very mild and in the spring and summer is not present at all. Unfortunately my nephew (he is only 4) has frequent recurrant bouts of exzema that are mildly serious and very itchy for him. My sister has taken him to all sorts of doctors etc. and all they seem to prescribe is high strength cortisone analogs (creams) without great success.

I am tempted to suggest she try using Bobu on him to see if there is any relief but the complexity is that he is allergic to peanuts and I am concerned that even dermal contact with these other nut oils might pose a problem? Any thoughts on this topic?

Thank you in advance.

Mr.50

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crap...I wrote a response earlier and I thought it posted.

Peanut allergies do not necessarily translate to tree nut allergies, though there is an even chance that it will. I'd hate to suggest trying a small spot and inducing a reaction.

How severe is his allergy? Can his allergist test for other nut allergies?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eczema is a fairly common autoimmune disease. Many people that demonstrate autoimmune type of diseases (hyper-reactive immune response to specific antigens) are often very sensitive to other environmental and physical factors. This does not necessarily apply in this case at all, but certainly has the potential to be a very serious issue.

Many food type allergies don't induce immediate anaphylactic type reactions, but have a sensitizing period where the body insidiously builds an incresing Ig antibody presence against the specific antigen. This leads to an increased and progressive symptomatic demonstration with each successive exposure.

Even a very very small amount of a potential allergen can/will induce exposure manifestation symptomatology. Cross-sensitivities/reactions with certain allergens can occur in some people as well.

Until an extensive allergy test panel is completed, and cleared through an allergist, i would personally not recommend it.

Some good reads:

http://www.phadia.it/upload/Italy/congressi/Allergens, sensitization and clinical disease.pdf

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/nut_allergy.html

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/p/treenutallergy.htm

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You guys are the best! It seems after further research that it will be best to avoid even a small patch because the risk could be significant. This is unfortunate because I have found it effective.

Whatever the case may be, DSADE it may be interesting to see if Bobu helps others with mild exzema/winter itch. Not a serious condition but pretty annoying at times. Seems like yet another good use for a RPM product!.

Mr.50

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are the best! It seems after further research that it will be best to avoid even a small patch because the risk could be significant. This is unfortunate because I have found it effective.

Whatever the case may be, DSADE it may be interesting to see if Bobu helps others with mild exzema/winter itch. Not a serious condition but pretty annoying at times. Seems like yet another good use for a RPM product!.

Mr.50
We've had some good anecdotal reports with flawless mitigating effects of psoriasis, so it will be interesting to follow the results with the Bobu as well in a similar regard.

Thanks for the great inquiry, and your great support of RPN Mr. 50. :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Mr.50
I have had a couple of reports of people with pretty serious cases of eczema seeing relief from both Flawless and Bobu, but moreso BoBu.

Keep in mind that I added a new butter to it (mango - it now contains 10 butters) and found a new emulsifier which has allowed me to up the butter content to 30%.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Huh, weird, I recently(last couple years) started getting this too: itchy spots with slightly rougher skin. Only in the winter, and it goes away by summer. Maybe I'll try Bobu, I'd love to get rid of it, it's slightly annoying.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eczema is a fairly common autoimmune disease. Many people that demonstrate autoimmune type of diseases (hyper-reactive immune response to specific antigens) are often very sensitive to other environmental and physical factors. This does not necessarily apply in this case at all, but certainly has the potential to be a very serious issue.

Many food type allergies don't induce immediate anaphylactic type reactions, but have a sensitizing period where the body insidiously builds an incresing Ig antibody presence against the specific antigen. This leads to an increased and progressive symptomatic demonstration with each successive exposure.

Even a very very small amount of a potential allergen can/will induce exposure manifestation symptomatology. Cross-sensitivities/reactions with certain allergens can occur in some people as well.

Until an extensive allergy test panel is completed, and cleared through an allergist, i would personally not recommend it.

Some good reads:

http://www.phadia.it/upload/Italy/congressi/Allergens, sensitization and clinical disease.pdf

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/nut_allergy.html

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/p/treenutallergy.htm
Great post, T1! :)

blind12

blind12

Awards
Keep in mind that I added a new butter to it (mango - it now contains 10 butters) and found a new emulsifier which has allowed me to up the butter content to 30%.
Yummy. I mean it IS edible, right ?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yummy. I mean it IS edible, right ?
Only if you spread it on your skin, lay out in the sun for 45 minutes, then feast on yourself.

Mmmm....cannibalicious!!

blind12

blind12

Awards
Only if you spread it on your skin, lay out in the sun for 45 minutes, then feast on yourself.

Mmmm....cannibalicious!!
Is there any good reason for doing it with yourself ? :eek:

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys think Flawless would help with a case of acute contact dermatitis? Apparently I'm quite allergic to benzocaine (typically found in bug bite creams ie lanacane). I have some Flawless here so maybe I'll try it out on a small spot and see if there is any noticeable improvement. I'm also taking some Benadryl and applying calamine. Thinking about getting some hydrocortisone cream, but I seem to remember being even more allergic to this in the past.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you guys think Flawless would help with a case of acute contact dermatitis? Apparently I'm quite allergic to benzocaine (typically found in bug bite creams ie lanacane). I have some Flawless here so maybe I'll try it out on a small spot and see if there is any noticeable improvement. I'm also taking some Benadryl and applying calamine. Thinking about getting some hydrocortisone cream, but I seem to remember being even more allergic to this in the past.
Benzocaine is definitely a fairly common allergy. Do you know what was the cause of the contact deramtitis is? Have you seen your doctor for it yet?

I DO NOT recommend applying flawless to it. If it concerns you, definitely follow up with your primary physician for treatment. Typically it's treated with a topical corticosteroid (1% hydrocortisone ointment), and the benadryl ointment/cream as you're already taking.

blind12

blind12

Awards
Beta-alanine in Flawless makes me itch and tingle like crazy and doesn't seem help exczema one little bit.

I would avoid topical cortisol products if possible, they block skin collagen synthesis for a very long time even after a single application. If pimecrolimus or tacrolimus work, they're much safer immunosupressants. Unfortunately they also appear to be weaker, at least pimecrolimus is not very effective for me.

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've used Flawless before and didn't get any tingle from the beta-alanine. Even higher oral doses of BA don't make me itch so much as just give me a slight and enjoyable, if anything, tingling. I did look into pimecrolimus and tacromlimus, but I believe they are Rx only correct? Also they didn't seem to be too effective in many studies and your anecdotal experience confirms.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beta-alanine in Flawless makes me itch and tingle like crazy and doesn't seem help exczema one little bit.

I would avoid topical cortisol products if possible, they block skin collagen synthesis for a very long time even after a single application. If pimecrolimus or tacrolimus work, they're much safer immunosupressants. Unfortunately they also appear to be weaker, at least pimecrolimus is not very effective for me.
That largely depends on the situation they're being utilized. In many instances, topical corticosteroid products are very much warranted in the treatment regimen of a given diagnosis. A small topical surface area application is not going to have any kind significant systemic side effect.

Oral corticosteroids will cause varying degrees of systemic immune system suppression dependent upon the overall dosing, and length of time taken, but again, this can be the specific focus/goal of that treatment modality being applied. I.E, COPD Exacerbation, Asthma Exacerbation, or Allergic Reaction.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've used Flawless before and didn't get any tingle from the beta-alanine. Even higher oral doses of BA don't make me itch so much as just give me a slight and enjoyable, if anything, tingling. I did look into pimecrolimus and tacromlimus, but I believe they are Rx only correct? Also they didn't seem to be too effective in many studies and your anecdotal experience confirms.
The raspberry ketones that are in the flawless formula can cause a pruritic (itching) type of sensation as well.

It's good that you don't get the BA tingles, i can't stand them myself. :lol:

blind12

blind12

Awards
A small topical surface area application is not going to have any kind significant systemic side effect.
Yes but I was talking about local effects. Cortisol derivatives do block skin collagen synthesis LOCALLY for a long period of time, so your skin will get old and saggy :p
It will also easily develop stretch marks.

I understand they also cause enlarged blood vessels (telangiectasias) etc so alternative immunosupressants are always preferred if they do the job.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes but I was talking about local effects. Cortisol derivatives do block skin collagen synthesis LOCALLY for a long period of time, so your skin will get old and saggy :p
It will also easily develop stretch marks.

I understand they also cause enlarged blood vessels (telangiectasias) etc so alternative immunosupressants are always preferred if they do the job.
If you can deal with the itching/burning agony of a contact dermatits without some type of outside pharmacologic intervention, more power to you bro. ;)

I understand the methodology of collagen sythesis inhibition demonstrated by glucocorticoids, but this is clearly a question of do the benefits in treatment of using a topical corticosteroid on a small surface area for a limited amount of time outweigh the risks? In my opinion, it's 100% yes.

There are many other contributing factors outside the dermal matrix (collagen/elastin) layer that go into stretch mark development. I understand your concerns though. :cheers: