Spinach in a protein shake?...YES!

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I don't know why I did it, but actually its not that bad. I don't know about you, but I typically have a hard time eating spinach unless I'm at a salad bar. I was making some bruchetta, and had some left over spinach. Here was the shake I made: 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup strawberries, 2 cups ultra skim, 1/2 cup oats. I didn't taste the spinach at all, maybe just a slightly more organic taste. It did turn it a nasty greenish brown color though, but if you can get past that, its a great way to get plenty of phytonutrients, fiber, iron, and B's. Oh yeah, here is how I made the bruschetta: Thin slices of your favorite bread, a layer of spinach, a layer of diced roma tomatoes, garlic, a drissle of EVOO, and a sprinkle of low fat mozzerella. Goes great with whole wheat pasta w/ lean meat of your choice.

Deegin

Awards
I'm not going to lie.. I just gagged a little, but to be fair it can't be any worse tasting than certain bulk powders mixed into a protein shake. :lol: I'll probably give it a shot just for the heck of it.

Oh, and I require a sample of the Bruschetta :p.. it sounds really good. :food:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
yeah, strangely enough, i've done that. i have a habit of blenderizine a lot of things. the other day, i was in a hurry, so to make my veggie consumption quick, i took and threw in my carrots, celery, and lettuce with a splash of v8. not good, but not bad.

the results are always good, though. new recipe for everything everyone: hit it with a blender!

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I'd have waited for another day instead of putting it into a chocolate flavored shake, lol. Could be a good way to help bulk if you like to drink bloody marys though, lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Way ahead of you. I have been using Strawberry protein, banana, spinach, and pineapple for months. Lots of anti-O's and very alkalinic as well.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
One of my personal favorites, even though its not a protein shake, is 1 can of tomato sauce (just tomato paste and water) spinach, Italian seasoning, 1 tbsp of parm cheese, and splenda to taste. This makes a pizza sauce that is amazing on chicken, broccoli, cauliflowers, etc. I suppose you could put in on pasta too lol

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use broccoli. whey/broccoli/natty pb/FF Cottage cheese/splenda

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I'd like to go on the record as saying, 'YUCK!"

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Guys, I'm telling you, TRY IT, it really doesn't alter the taste of the shake. Color, yes but taste no. That is, if you're interested in eating spinach. I made it today with oats, vanilla protein, and milk and it looked like a shamrock shake. Now I'm not talking about frozen spinach, now that would be kinda gross. I'm talking about fresh, store bought, flat leaf baby spinach.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
speaking of odd things to do with veggies---ok, lemme start by saying, i usually eat my veggies raw, but sometimes i like em steamed. so i got this frozen brocolli. well, my roommate moved out and took the microwave with him, and i was sitting there with frozen brocolli.

so i cooked them on the pan on the stove, you know, with water. well, i wanted to drink the water, too. so as to get my nutrients. i also wanted to drink a cup of hot tea. then it dawned on me, put the tea bag into the brocolli/water. two in one. not bad either.

i used jasmine tea bags, two of em, and it was good. try it sometime for an antioxidant kick.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
This is just liek the sandwich i posted awhile ago in the bulk section, everyone yucked but its the shyt.
I wont be doing this but i belive you its goods.
I just eat spinach and carrots or spinach as my side at dinner, raw baby leaves. Love em'

I bought the NOW Phyto foods, i have yet to man up to put it in one of my shakes...

ptdanny

Awards
the grosser the healthier! :)

ya i think if u can get past the greenish color, it wouldn't be that bad at all!

thanks for the idea!

UKStrength

Way ahead of you. I have been using Strawberry protein, banana, spinach, and pineapple for months. Lots of anti-O's and very alkalinic as well.
Dude that sounds awesome :) Which strawberry powder did you use?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
sounds like a nice light summer breakfast shake.