What do you do with your yolk?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Usually i'll use 1 yolk and 2/3 egg whites in my morning shakes. Lately i've just been launching the spare yolks in the bin.

I did read a post somewhere on here about freezing the yolks and using them at a later date, but can't seem to find it anywhere! Maybe i imagined it. Anyway, what do you guys do with your yolks? also, how long would yolks last in a sealed container?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I usually eat the yolk, but on those rare times I don't, my dog loves them

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally I eat them. I think they are full of useful nutrients, and the link to cholesterol and heart disease is weak at best.

If you choose not to eat them, definitely save them. They can be used in a ton of recipes, by either yourself or give them to a friend that loves to cook. Recipezaar has over 6200 recipes calling for yolks as an ingredient! Freezing them in simple, juding by the 2 dozen or so in the freezer. Just dump them in a small airtight tupperware and they're good for several months.

If you know any people that are eastern orthodox (Eg. Eastern European), in a few weeks they will be baking special easter breads that require dozens of egg yolks! If you're interested in brushing up on Ukrainian culture, a good brief read is at Ukraine and Ukrainian Easter at BRAMA . Each Paska takes anywhere from 8-12 egg yolks, and we usually make 3-4!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Personally I eat them. I think they are full of useful nutrients, and the link to cholesterol and heart disease is weak at best.

If you choose not to eat them, definitely save them. They can be used in a ton of recipes, by either yourself or give them to a friend that loves to cook. Recipezaar has over 6200 recipes calling for yolks as an ingredient! Freezing them in simple, juding by the 2 dozen or so in the freezer. Just dump them in a small airtight tupperware and they're good for several months.

If you know any people that are eastern orthodox (Eg. Eastern European), in a few weeks they will be baking special easter breads that require dozens of egg yolks! If you're interested in brushing up on Ukrainian culture, a good brief read is at Ukraine and Ukrainian Easter at BRAMA . Each Paska takes anywhere from 8-12 egg yolks, and we usually make 3-4!
Think i'll be eating a lot more of my yolks now or at least saving them and using them in something else. Still need to try out that tuna burger recipe aswell thats somewhere on here! Ta :D

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yolks really have been given a bad name... I think they are absolutely fine myself, great source of good stuff!

MB

Itchyscratchy

Awards
the yolk is a tasty piece of yellow just eat it

brandoppsx

brandoppsx

Awards
I'd have to agree with everyone else...then again what I do is for a normal breakfast, I'll use 3-4 extra large eggs (yolk and all), and 3-4 egg whites (egg beaters or any other no yolk egg products). Makes for good omellettes....

damn that sounds good right about now...

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I eat them.

If you're interested in brushing up on Ukrainian culture, a good brief read is at Ukraine and Ukrainian Easter at BRAMA
Thanks. I'm 3/4 Ukrainian, so I am always interested in learning more.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I myself eat them scrambled but if I did not eat them they would go to my dogs.

skunkman

Awards
I agree, eat them. Raw egg whites contain avidin. I believe that avidin binds with biotin (an essential b-vitamin) and the biotin gets flushed through with the feces. Fortunately a large amount of biotin is found in yolks.

Yolks FTW

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
Don't the egg yolks contain a majority of the fat? That's why I toss most of them.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Anyway, what do you guys do with your yolks?

EAT THEM!

Why wouldn't you eat the yolks and throw out a great nutrition source? That's idiotic...that's half the protein of the egg right there you're tossing out, as well as the majority of the vitamins, minerals, and other important bodybuilding nutrients. Egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein you can possibly eat.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
EAT THEM!

Why wouldn't you eat the yolks and throw out a great nutrition source? That's idiotic...that's half the protein of the egg right there you're tossing out, as well as the majority of the vitamins, minerals, and other important bodybuilding nutrients. Egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein you can possibly eat.
WHAT? Nonsense! The majority of the protein is in the egg whites.

"The yolk contains large amounts of carbohydrates, fat, and protein. The egg white (albumen) is almost pure, high-quality protein. The yolk is also a reservoir of the vitamins and minerals that are essential for normal growth." - Penn State Ag. Science.

Next to human flesh, egg whites the best natural source of protein you can eat. Pop a multi vit if you're that concerned about missing out on the yolk. I choose to avoid the fat and carbs in the yolk. I think it has about a gram of protein... more i'm sure.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I did a little bit of research and found that the yolk contains on average 3 grams of protein, as where the white contains 3.5. However egg white is almost fat free and a better source of protein... So there's that debate. The yolk also contains all of the fat, carbs, cholesterol.:duel:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Had my 4 whole eggs today :D

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I plant mine in the front yard in hopes of growing an eggplant. :D

Actually I just chuck the ones I don't use.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established

"The yolk contains large amounts of carbohydrates, fat, and protein. The egg white (albumen) is almost pure, high-quality protein. The yolk is also a reservoir of the vitamins and minerals that are essential for normal growth." - Penn State Ag. Science.

Next to human flesh, egg whites the best natural source of protein you can eat. Pop a multi vit if you're that concerned about missing out on the yolk. I choose to avoid the fat and carbs in the yolk. I think it has about a gram of protein... more i'm sure.
A multi isn't the same, nor is it going to cover all the nutrients found in the egg yolk. Good eggs contain an array of essential fats (or do you think those are bad, too?) The fact that you worry about carbs in egg yolks sums things up pretty well.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
From Fitday.com For a Large Egg.
cals Fat Carb Prot
Egg, Yolk Only, Raw 61 5 0 3
Egg, White only, Raw 17 0 0 3

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
If you choose not to eat the yolk for whatever reason do not throw them in the trash, alteast compost it or throw it outside for some greatful animal to eat. If you are that neurotic about the small amount of fat or carbs in the yolk then just buy egg whites in the carton but don't throw a perfectly fine food source in the trash while there are MILLIONS starving.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
"Egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein you can possibly eat." That about sums things up, name a more biodegradable natural protein source.

I'm not going to feel anymore guilty about throwing out my egg yolk than our nation does about throwing out perfectly good produce too keep the prices right.

I admit I didn't know that the egg yolk contained almost half of the protein, though it isn't the better half.

However, on a bulking cycle I eat 6-8 boiled egg whites, 2 yolks.
Unless you can show me something significant about the cholesterol being good rather than bad than I'll throw out the yolk out.

Most studies done for the yolk were of people eating 6 eggs per week so the evidence isn't sufficient for someone on a clean bulk.:fart:

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
From Fitday.com For a Large Egg.
cals Fat Carb Prot
Egg, Yolk Only, Raw 61 5 0 3
Egg, White only, Raw 17 0 0 3

damn raw egg only have 3gms of protein ..i thought it would be higher then that

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
people, over time, have learned to be pansies in everything they do. this includes when they cook a meal. the people of yesteryear did not worry about such things. eat the egg the way it was intended to be eaten.

you need (healthy) fats for your daily life, especially if you exercise. so why cut out a good fat source, one that even helps by giving good cholestorol. YES, good cholestorol. if you are that worried about fat, perhaps you should just eat the yolk. then, when you eat your peanuts later, you can weigh them on a scale to compensate for those 12 lousy grams you might have overdone. just take each little peanut and weigh it out. hahahahah!

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
people, over time, have learned to be pansies in everything they do. this includes when they cook a meal. the people of yesteryear did not worry about such things. eat the egg the way it was intended to be eaten.

you need (healthy) fats for your daily life, especially if you exercise. so why cut out a good fat source, one that even helps by giving good cholestorol. YES, good cholestorol. if you are that worried about fat, perhaps you should just eat the yolk. then, when you eat your peanuts later, you can weigh them on a scale to compensate for those 12 lousy grams you might have overdone. just take each little peanut and weigh it out. hahahahah!
Good post I'll give you that. The case isn't so much as being worried about fats and carbs as it is anti cholesterol.

I didn't know the egg yolk contained 3 grams of protein, I thought it was something like a gram or so.

The studies done on the cholesterol of egg yolks have found no correlation between bad cholesterol and people averaging roughly about 6 eggs per week.

That's pretty inconclusive, especially for someone averaging 42-50 eggs weekly rather than just 6 weekly.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
"Egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein you can possibly eat." That about sums things up, name a more biodegradable natural protein source.
That's not what I said. I said egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein. Look up the nutrient data. It's true. Compare it to any meat, cheese, whole egg, or whey protein.

There is an anabolic effect in the egg yolks. Vince Gironda would recommend 1-3 dozen raw eggs per day as a way to pack on mass. Did you know a dozen eggs has the same dose of arachidonic acid as X-Factor? Did you know that testosterone is made from cholesterol? Did you know cholesterol in its unadultered form (not cooked) is actually a substance of repair? Your body doesn't create and recycle cholesterol in the liver and then put it into the blood to kill you. It's there because it serves a purpose. Cholesterol is bound to transporter proteins (lipoproteins) that carry cholesterol to and from cells to be used.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Make creme brulee. Have it on cheat day and impress the GF/spouse.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
That's not what I said. I said egg whites are the most nutrient deficient protein. Look up the nutrient data. It's true. Compare it to any meat, cheese, whole egg, or whey protein.

There is an anabolic effect in the egg yolks. Vince Gironda would recommend 1-3 dozen raw eggs per day as a way to pack on mass. Did you know a dozen eggs has the same dose of arachidonic acid as X-Factor? Did you know that testosterone is made from cholesterol? Did you know cholesterol in its unadultered form (not cooked) is actually a substance of repair? Your body doesn't create and recycle cholesterol in the liver and then put it into the blood to kill you. It's there because it serves a purpose. Cholesterol is bound to transporter proteins (lipoproteins) that carry cholesterol to and from cells to be used.
Neil I can admit when i'm wrong, and I took what you said out of context.

But I still don't like the idea of taking in so much cholesterol on a daily basis (6 or more eggs daily) when it isn't for certain that it's good cholesterol.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established

I have found a good source for human flesh, but I'm not sure if it's against board rules to post it. I either go with a dry pork rub or if I'm drinking heavily, I sometimes go with the naked version as opposed to mild, medium, hot, 3 alarm, honey garlic, running scared, or teriyaki. But that teriyaki keeps taunting me...

As far as eggs are concerned. Eat the egg. Why is there a Police car out in front of my house?

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
my dog thinks they are great, othwise i eat them or put them down the plug hole

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
Usually i'll use 1 yolk and 2/3 egg whites in my morning shakes. Lately i've just been launching the spare yolks in the bin.

I did read a post somewhere on here about freezing the yolks and using them at a later date, but can't seem to find it anywhere! Maybe i imagined it. Anyway, what do you guys do with your yolks? also, how long would yolks last in a sealed container?
I eat the yolks - they may not have as much protein as the whites but have a lot of other nutritional values not to be over looked.

The negative egg yolk conspiracy theory was "hatched" by the evil egg white supremacists.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
If I don't wanna eat the yolks I'll just use egg whites, but cracking open eggs only to remove and waste the yolk is tediously retarded IMO.

searcyc2

Awards
I ate 12 whole jumbo sized eggs today. Anabolic Diet FTW!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
It seems to me really a question of the overall macro count I wish to achieve with a given diet. I like the whole egg and have nothing against yolks but if eating three whole with 4 extra whites puts me where I wish to be for the meal then so be it. Eggs are cheap and throwing a few yolks away doesn't bother me; buying egg whites in a carton irritates my pocket book.

5 whole eggs = 30g pro & 30g fat 450 ~cals
3 whole + 4 whites = 30g pro & 18g fat ~306 cals

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
evil egg white supremacists.
... thank you... hahahahhaha

i use egg beaters, i did at one time crack and split 12 eggs for the whites... eff that...

i have been using 1-2c egg beaters and 2 whole Omega Eggs. Yummy.