Vegetarian needs recipes for the darkside - TUNA!!!!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Alright. I'm trying to force myself to like fish, so I need some ideas. I've been a vegetarian for the last 18 of my 21 years of life, so I'm having a not-so-easy time. I've searched to recipe forum for something that sounds tolerable, but there's no way I'm gonna eat tuna+hot sauce or blended in my PWO shake. So... I need some healthy recipe ideas that will help mask the tuna flavor at first, just so I can get used to it.

Please help a veggie out! I need the protein!

Thanks fellas!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
tuna + Salsa
Tuna + mustard
Tuna + Mustard + spices of choice
Try albacore at first if you can, the kind in the pouch, its less fishy and a cleaner taste, than you can move to the chunk light straight out of the can mixed with some diet coke lol

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Meat substitute is the easiest. Most of my family are vegan so it even harder for them to get protein sources.

My favorite brand is, gimme lean by light life. extremely high protein.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Meat substitute is the easiest. Most of my family are vegan so it even harder for them to get protein sources.

My favorite brand is, gimme lean by light life. extremely high protein.
I've eaten meat substitute for years, but now I'm trying to add fish to my diet. Thanks for the advice though.

Now I gotta go force down some tuna :rasp:

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Cant really be any help with tuna, not my cup of tea. Im a salmon, tilapia, type guy.

Scallops are a great source, sorry if this is again off topic.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Cant really be any help with tuna, not my cup of tea. Im a salmon, tilapia, type guy.

Scallops are a great source, sorry if this is again off topic.
Cool man, I'll check out scallops. I've just only added tuna to my diet as of 2 days ago, so I'm not super adventurous when it comes to meat yet. Especially if it has a strong flavor.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I need something a little healthier/creative then my homemade tuna melt which I have been suffering through for the past couple of days. Here's what it is.

1 pouch Albacore
1 tsp mayo (I know! But it helps with flavor)
1 tsp chopped dill pickle
1 slice fat free cheddar
2 slices whole wheat flax & fiber bread

I mix it all up, put it on 1 slice of bread, put cheese on other slice of bread. Broil both 'til warm, then slap 'em together and chow.

I need something new and tasty!!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
1 flat-out flatbread sundried tomato flavor (if you can get them)
1 pouch tuna
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
1/2 tomato diced
1/4 cup diced onion
juice of one lime
two packets spleda

1. combine onions, tomato, lime juice, and splenda. Salt and pepper if desire.
2. Place tuna, cottage cheese, and Pico (what you just made) in wrap.
3. roll up and toast in a pan.
4. enjoy

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
1 flat-out flatbread sundried tomato flavor (if you can get them)
1 pouch tuna
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
1/2 tomato diced
1/4 cup diced onion
juice of one lime
two packets spleda

1. combine onions, tomato, lime juice, and splenda. Salt and pepper if desire.
2. Place tuna, cottage cheese, and Pico (what you just made) in wrap.
3. roll up and toast in a pan.
4. enjoy
I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. I'm trying to eat tuna once everyday for a week so I'll get used to it. This sounds like a nice way to mix it up.

Thanks!

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why would a vegetarian want to eat fish? Aren't fish animals? Or are you one of those people who do it for "health" purposes?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Why would a vegetarian want to eat fish? Aren't fish animals? Or are you one of those people who do it for "health" purposes?
Well, I guess I won't be able to claim vegetarianism anymore (oh well) But my real reasoning is the fact that I'm gonna be in Alaska for 4 months and most of the food I'll be eating is fish. So I kinda wanna get used to it now, before I'm stuck in Alaska with nothing but fish.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, I guess I won't be able to claim vegetarianism anymore (oh well) But my real reasoning is the fact that I'm gonna be in Alaska for 4 months and most of the food I'll be eating is fish. So I kinda wanna get used to it now, before I'm stuck in Alaska with nothing but fish.
I'd be fine in Alaska as long as I stayed away from dead fish or tuna. Catfish, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, crab, things like that are all good. But I absolutely do not understand tuna. I want to vomit when someone has a tuna sandwich and I smell it in the trashcan. People are not and should not be cats, not that I'd ever feed a cat tuna because I'd have to deal with the smell.

By the way, I further don't understand tuna for the health benefits when there are cans of chopped chicken breast that are badass tasting and are almost 30g protein per short can. Put it in some ramen noodles and you basically have a full meal. I make quesadillas with 2 cans, about 60g protein from chicken plus the cheese. Why suffer with tuna when there's chicken. Cheap too from Sams or Costco.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Have a search on here for the tuna burger recipe! I've not tried it yet but it sounds awesome :D chuck some cheese on top etc. I'm going to start experimenting the next few days.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Half pound of frozen broc/caul, 1 - 4oz can light tuna in water, 2tbsp EVO.

Could spice as you like with maybe basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, red pepper, black pepper....could even toss in some cottage cheese or better yet a parmesian or romano.

I do the same with a can of chicken.

Those two are staple for me because I stock my frozen and non perishables at work for my work meals.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I've seen a lot of people mentioning cans of chicken, i don't think i've actually seen a can of chicken before in the supermarket. I live in the UK, is it more common in the U.S? Or am i just not looking hard enough. Does it come in sunflower oil/spring water like tuna ?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get my bulk products at Costco. They have a brand named Kirkland's. Kirkland's is (I think) a 12oz can, as I use half of one in place of a whole can of 4oz tuna which switching. There are other named brand mfg, I'm sure.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Half pound of frozen broc/caul, 1 - 4oz can light tuna in water, 2tbsp EVO.

Could spice as you like with maybe basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, red pepper, black pepper....could even toss in some cottage cheese or better yet a parmesian or romano.

Those two are staple for me because I stock my frozen and non perishables at work for my work meals.
Thanks B! I noticed you said you make this at work, so I'm guessing this could be prepared in the microwave as well as stove top?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
By the way, I further don't understand tuna for the health benefits when there are cans of chopped chicken breast that are badass tasting and are almost 30g protein per short can. Put it in some ramen noodles and you basically have a full meal. I make quesadillas with 2 cans, about 60g protein from chicken plus the cheese. Why suffer with tuna when there's chicken. Cheap too from Sams or Costco.
It's just a personal choice. I figure, while I'm up there I'd like to be able to enjoy the local cuisine along with everyone else, instead of eating salad and downing protein shakes. Plus, the fish will be cooked by gourmet resort chefs, and it's free. So I might as well get as much tasty (free) protein as possible - and hopefully be able to enjoy it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The bag of frozen vegetable (mixed brocolli and cauliflower) is 16oz (1lb).

Pour out half into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 mins.

In the meantime I mix 2 tbsp (more or less depending upon diet goals) into a can of drained tuna.

Mix oiled tuna with hot broc/cauli.

I live like this at work. I bring 3-4 or more bags of veges and 6 or so of each of tuna and chicken each week. I keep a bottle of EVOO there too.

I usually only spice it up at home. I eat like this as a major staple so I try to add something for flavor at home.

:food:

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
for now, this is what I do:

1 small can of tuna
Miracle whip
lawry's season salt
ritz crackers or whole wheat bread

drain can of tuna, and put the tuna in a bowl
add miracle whip so it's not dry
add lawry's season salt to taste
eat with ritz crackers, or put it on bread

been doing this for years. it really is a winner.
you can add some sun chips to it if you want more tasty/filling meal, or double up on the tuna.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's just a personal choice. I figure, while I'm up there I'd like to be able to enjoy the local cuisine along with everyone else, instead of eating salad and downing protein shakes. Plus, the fish will be cooked by gourmet resort chefs, and it's free. So I might as well get as much tasty (free) protein as possible - and hopefully be able to enjoy it.
See what the others are getting and copy them.Their are so many better options than tuna.I have had fried red snapper,it was great.Kind of tough even like meat,not all mushy.Halibut is supposed to be the best though.Congratulations on eating meat!Before you know it you will be eating meat every meal and be bigger than ever.(once you get used to meat,you need to find out what a thick bloody steak is all about)

brandoppsx

brandoppsx

Awards
Oooh, I love making new things out of tuna...

Here is my rendition of the tuna burger.

Tuna Burger (I don't know how close this is to the legendary tuna burger that everyone talks about...but I LOVE it...)

2 cans of tuna (your choice, albacore or chunk light)
4-5 egg whites (hmm...egg whites probably aren't vegetarian material are they...?)
Either some Quaker Oats or a piece of whole wheat bread (again, your choice, and the amount is more of a "your call" deal, it's for keeping everything held together).
Your favorite burger seasonings (I do garlic salt, but that's just me)

Now, take all of that, throw it into a bowl, and mix it around. I prefer to get my hands dirty in it and mash it up that way until it seems to be a pretty good consistency. Then, form up a patty or two and cook it up. You have lots of choices for cooking, my favorites are grilled, or just throwing them on the George with some Pam to keep it from sticking. Voila! Yummy tuna burgers!

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
The bag of frozen vegetable (mixed brocolli and cauliflower) is 16oz (1lb).

Pour out half into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 mins.

In the meantime I mix 2 tbsp (more or less depending upon diet goals) into a can of drained tuna.

Mix oiled tuna with hot broc/cauli.

I live like this at work. I bring 3-4 or more bags of veges and 6 or so of each of tuna and chicken each week. I keep a bottle of EVOO there too.

I usually only spice it up at home. I eat like this as a major staple so I try to add something for flavor at home.

:food:
Ate this tonite, but instead of plain old tuna, I bought a pouch of StarKist sweet & spicy flavored tuna. Mixed it with the nuked veggies - AND LOVED IT!! Thanks B, very easy way of munchin' tuna!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ate this tonite, but instead of plain old tuna, I bought a pouch of StarKist sweet & spicy flavored tuna. Mixed it with the nuked veggies - AND LOVED IT!! Thanks B, very easy way of munchin' tuna!
I'm so proud of you!Animals deserve to be ate.It's what they want.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I'm so proud of you!Animals deserve to be ate.It's what they want.
*Giggles*... I got crazy and ate a turkey sandwich for lunch today - it was quite yummy also!!

The flavors I've missed out on...