please help me find pizza

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I want a body builder's pizza recipe that's nutrient dense and still tastes decent. Every time I search for healthy pizza recipes most of what I find is whole wheat/unbleached dough, or a recipe that really won't taste like a pizza at all. Whole wheat dough would be a lot healthier, but it's not enough on its own to justify pizza as healthy.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wish i could help bro. Wolfgang puck has decently healthy pizza's. It's not eating cclean of course.

I took a month break from my bodybuilding diet recently. It worked out well while I ate healthy, just not like an animal.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I want a body builder's pizza recipe that's nutrient dense and still tastes decent. Every time I search for healthy pizza recipes most of what I find is whole wheat/unbleached dough, or a recipe that really won't taste like a pizza at all. Whole wheat dough would be a lot healthier, but it's not enough on its own to justify pizza as healthy.
Thats pizza , it really not really gonna be that healthy with out the right dough and other stuff. You could use low fat cheese and try wheat dough or some substitute, but it just wont be pizza. pizza is just one of those foods that is what it is.

lethaljd

Awards
Try Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough with some lowfat mozzarella, Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce, and add some chicken and candian bacon to it. It might be a little bland, but it's nothing some garlic salt and hot sauce can't spice up.

That's about as nutrient dense/healthy as you are going to get with something like pizza.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Try Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough with some lowfat mozzarella, Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce, and add some chicken and candian bacon to it. It might be a little bland, but it's nothing some garlic salt and hot sauce can't spice up.

That's about as nutrient dense/healthy as you are going to get with something like pizza.
yeah, I used the phrase 'nutrient dense' because I won't expect pizza to be low calorie, ever, but if you work out at all, much less do any heavy lifting, nutrition > caloric value.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
surprisingly I like the south beach diet pizzas

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
do it just like my grandma from italy did. you choose the dough (whole wheat) or regular italian bread dough. use olive oil and grease a pan. use your hands to spread it out evenly. (look out - this is a fun task on a greased pan!)

This is what she did - she put the cheese down first. she would cut the muzzarella cheese in thick slices and lay it all out next to each other on the dough. healthy choice here would be to choose a non or low fat cheese.

then she would get canned tomatoes (note - not tomato sauce) this helps greatly in reducing the fat calories in sauce)

then she would slice mushrooms on top of that and green peppers (mind you - no seeds)

then sprinkle some oregano (very lightly) and bake in a 350 for a very, very long time.

when done cool, cut in square slices and just let it sit in the kitchen and enjoy!

now of course i don't need to mentioned that the canned tomatoes were her's from her garden!

all of her sons (my uncles) were football players with thighs like tree trunks!

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
... she would cut the muzzarella cheese in thick slices and lay it all out next to each other on the dough....
Mmm, real mozzarella di bufala beats what passes for mozzarella
at your typical grocery store so easily.

then she would get canned tomatoes (note - not tomato sauce) this helps greatly in reducing the fat calories in sauce)
yeah, I was just thinking today that it's probably all the HFCS and sugar that's processed into the sauce that contributes to the high calorie content of typical pizza.

lol seeing you type it out with a 'u' made me think of that gorgeous giada from food network.

berger1989

berger1989

Awards
Boboli makes a whole wheat pizza shell. Get some organic pizza sauce, turkey pep, and fat free mozz. and you are all set! I make two at a time! Great ****. Hope this helps.

peace
berg

jrm

jrm

Awards
surprisingly I like the south beach diet pizzas
Concur...but my local store either quit carrying them or has been out a while. I have like 80 of those coupons to use.

I used to make my own little mini pizzas on wheat pitas...I would throw a spaghetti sauce of choice, some low/no fat cheeze, and a meat.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
south beach diet pizza rox..30 grams of protein and whole wheat crust.taste great with some garlic salt and hot seeds and my local giant has it 2 for 4 dollars..i buy 10 at a time. kashi's pizza is very good too..i am a pizza addict..been dieting for the last 6 weeks ..down 20lbs(havent lost a ounce of strength) and practially been living off these pizzas(with added protein and veggies..lol)

jrm

jrm

Awards
I do the South Beach pizzas in the microwave and fold them like a calzone after. I add some salt-free Tony's and garlic powder and it does the job. How do the Kashi pizza's compare?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
kashi's are more of a thin crust..the south beach are heartier

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
This was posted on MSN today - enjoy!

Carb-o-licious!

This recipe yields enough dough for 4 10-inch pizzas. Use half here; freeze the other half double-wrapped in plastic. You can use whole wheat flour in place of up to 1 cup white flour.

INGREDIENTS
Crust:

1 package (1 1/4 ounces) active dry yeast (1 scant Tbsp.)
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. milk
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal, plus more for pan

Toppings:

1 bunch (12 ounces) Swiss chard
4 strips bacon, cut into 3/4-inch squares
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

To make crust: In the bowl of an electric mixer (warmed with hot water and wiped dry), combine yeast with 1/2 cup warm water; stir with a wooden spoon until dissolved. Stir in 1 cup flour (mixture will become thick and stiff). Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Add oil, milk, salt and 1 cup warm water. Attach bowl to mixer fitted with paddle attachment. With mixer on low, slowly add remaining flour and cornmeal. Mix into a soft dough. Change to a dough hook; knead 15 minutes, until sticky.

Form dough into a ball. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough, knead a few times and reshape into a ball. Return to bowl, cover and let sit until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes. Divide into 4 balls; reserve 2 for later use.

To make toppings: Strip Swiss chard leaves from stems. Chop stems, tear leaves; set aside, separated. Place bacon in a cold sauté pan; set over medium heat. Cook until fat has rendered and bacon just begins to brown, 8–10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Pour off all but a little fat from the pan; add garlic. Cook until golden, 2–3 minutes. Add Swiss chard stems. Cook 8–10 minutes, until softened. Add leaves and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 450°. Using your hands, stretch a ball of dough into a disk; using a rolling pin, roll into a thin 10-inch circle. Transfer to a heavy baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Repeat with other ball of dough. Divide greens evenly between the 2 pizzas, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Crumble ricotta over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bacon. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cooking. Sprinkle with sea salt and red pepper flakes before serving.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
1 bunch (12 ounces) Swiss chard
4 strips bacon, cut into 3/4-inch squares
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
hmm, swiss chard on a pizza, there's a topping I haven't tried. sounds like it could be good when coupled with a cheese like ricotta. Wonder if the whole thing would still taste good if the bacon were turkey, the ricotta part-skim, and the crust whole wheat. Damn it, whenever I think of homemade italian I start drooling over giada again, lol.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
nightwanderer check the newer thread on keto pizza...i made it the other day it was excellent.

aceink

Awards
Kashi pizza is my choice also, I like the garlic chicken. 3 servings of 300 calories and 16 grams of prot. Put a little tabasco sauce on it and it gets me going. Also I add more chicken to it!!!!