Sweet Potatoes

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
I love baked sweet potatoes, but does anyone have any good recipes to share (I saw the fries recipe)?

Thanks

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I almost never cook em. They're portable, crunchy and awesome raw.

trueathlete

trueathlete

Muscle Pharm Rep
Awards
Try adding grade B maple syrup with them, great source of natural energy and it tastes great.

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
That sounds good guys, I appreciate the replies. I was thinking about throwing some baked walnuts in there also. Right now, I just slice them up and bake them. I then put them in a bowl and carry them in my van to eat with my almond butter sandwiches for a snack.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I boil 'em up. Mash 'em, and store in the fridge (freezer if long term).

Whenever I'm hungry, I scoop a little out (scoops like ice cream). You can fry it or microwave it (if you're in a pinch). Top with HORSERADISH SAUCE (this is a necessity), and enjoy.

Marshall

Marshall

Awards
I always keep at least one baked sweet potato and a couple of broiled chicken breasts in the fridge. I tried this the other day and it was really good (at least I liked it):

(1) Slice a half (or a whole) sweet potato in a bowl
(2) Heat in microwave for 60-90 seconds (depends on your microwave)

Then,
(3) Shred broiled chicken breast in a pan
(4) Add just enough BBQ sauce to coat the shredded chicken
(5) Add one serving of black beans (I use canned)
(6) Heat chicken, beans, and BBQ sauce together
(7) Once it's hot enough for you just pour it over the sliced sweet potato in the bowl.

It's fast and easy. Probably not a bad post-workout meal either.

I've also tried it with cashews added and that was good as well. Just depends on how many calories you're willing to consume.

Hope you like it!!

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
I always keep at least one baked sweet potato and a couple of broiled chicken breasts in the fridge. I tried this the other day and it was really good (at least I liked it):

(1) Slice a half (or a whole) sweet potato in a bowl
(2) Heat in microwave for 60-90 seconds (depends on your microwave)

Then,
(3) Shred broiled chicken breast in a pan
(4) Add just enough BBQ sauce to coat the shredded chicken
(5) Add one serving of black beans (I use canned)
(6) Heat chicken, beans, and BBQ sauce together
(7) Once it's hot enough for you just pour it over the sliced sweet potato in the bowl.

It's fast and easy. Probably not a bad post-workout meal either.

I've also tried it with cashews added and that was good as well. Just depends on how many calories you're willing to consume.

Hope you like it!!
That sounds awesome! Thanks!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The way I've made pounds and pounds of sweetpotatoes:

Cut them into nice big 1" cubes, if you cut them too small the insides won't caramelize nicely. I leave the skin on and do about 4lbs at once.

Place cubes into LARGE tupperware (often requires 2 or 3 rounds for me) and add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (Or enough to coat, might want a bit more) and spices!
My favourite spices are a Herbs de Provence Blend (It's basically Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano... a nice mix) and some salt and pepper. Close the tupperware and shake very well to get the spices all over the sweetpotatoes.

Place the cubes on a baking tray (I usually put mine on aluminum for easier cleanup) put into the oven at about 375-400. I cook them for about 35 minutes, just until the outsides get crispy and the inside is caramelized and sweet. Adjust the spices to your own taste, but these are soooo good.

Nutrition data for roasted sweetpotatoes is found at http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-Sweetpotato000000000000000000000.html .
(You would want cooked, baked in skin, with(out) salt)

ksa

Awards
  • Established

I eat the top right one ( tastes like chestnut)

steamed sweet potatoes is tasty by it self.

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards

Cut them into nice big 1" cubes, if you cut them too small the insides won't caramelize nicely. I leave the skin on and do about 4lbs at once.

Place cubes into LARGE tupperware (often requires 2 or 3 rounds for me) and add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (Or enough to coat, might want a bit more) and spices!
My favourite spices are a Herbs de Provence Blend (It's basically Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano... a nice mix) and some salt and pepper. Close the tupperware and shake very well to get the spices all over the sweetpotatoes.

Place the cubes on a baking tray (I usually put mine on aluminum for easier cleanup) put into the oven at about 375-400. I cook them for about 35 minutes, just until the outsides get crispy and the inside is caramelized and sweet. Adjust the spices to your own taste, but these are soooo good.

Nutrition data for roasted sweetpotatoes is found at http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-Sweetpotato000000000000000000000.html .
Awesome info! Thanks!

B1ggie

B1ggie

Awards
Sweet Potato!!

Peel, sprinkle some olive oil and paprika and bake. DELISIOSO!!!

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established

I'm baking this one right now. Used a large SP w/ 2 tbsp. of olive oil, sprinkled in gourmet garlic, onion powder, and some veggie spice, then shook up in the tupperware, as suggested.

Not sure how they'll taste since I was experimenting this time, but I'll report in a while and tell how they turned out.

CrissyJ

Awards
Oh man! u just reminded me, I have a recipe for sweet potato pancakes that is AMAZING and very popular at parties, as soon as I find it I'll post it

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Oh man! u just reminded me, I have a recipe for sweet potato pancakes that is AMAZING and very popular at parties, as soon as I find it I'll post it
Sweet (pun intended)...hook us up when you find it. Sounds like it could be really good. I actually posted a great recipe on another forum for a sweet potato power punch smoothie that turned out REALLY well. I'll copy it over here in a bit.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Okay, here's a post I had done over at BN that I think you guys will love. When I tried it I was extremely impressed:

Ok, guys, I just made this recipe I found and after trying it, the first thing that came to mind was that I HAD to post about it and share the wealth. I absolutely love it. I think it'll become a staple on workout days. It's a great blend of simple and complex carbs, fiber, etc.

You'll need these ingredients:

1 medium sweet potato (I used a large one but it tasted awesome anyway, so you might as well go big).

1 banana

1 cup crushed ice (I just put cubes in the blender and they crushed themselves as I blended it all up).

1 1/2 cups of orange juice

2 tablespoons of honey

1 cup of plain yogurt (I only had 6 oz. on hand, but it was fine. It'd prob. be even smoother and creamier w/ the full 8 oz. I just wasn't going to the store for 2 oz. of yogurt).

1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon

1. Cook sweet potato in boiling water until tender (I microwaved it for 6 and then 5 mins. after making a cross cut in it. Boiling seemed like it'd take too long and microwaving worked fine, so I went that route.). Cool, peel and mash until you have 1 cup of puree'. I'm sure I had more than a cup, but who cares when you want to max out on sweet potato consumption?

2. In a blender, puree' all ingredients until smooth and frothy. Serve cold.

So, I'm not kidding when I say this stuff tastes wonderful. The cinnamon adds a lot to it. It's really tasty, just slightly sweet. There's a ton of potassium in it, between the sweet potato, the banana and the oj. That would be ideal to fight muscle cramping.

The carbs would be tremendous...a blend of simple and complex, low and high glycemic...the majority being low from the sweet potato. There's a little protein from the yogurt, as well as yogurt cultures for a healthy gut.

I'm sure you could experiment w/ adding some protein powder to boost protein content, as long as it didn't thicken it up too much. Try this smoothie out and I think you guys will love it as much as I do.

dsw222

dsw222

Awards
Do you guys eat the skin?

I love cutting them thin and putting the slices in a frying pan with spray butter, then topping it with splenda and cinnamon

I'm going to try the mashed recipe... that sounds awesome and easy to pack for on the go meals

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorites even plain, Im going to try to get my brother in laws recipe that he used to make a sweet potatoe based desert at thanksgiving (when i get it ill post it here)

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
I just tried the sweet potato fries...AWESOME! How long do you microwave a sweet potato for?

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
Okay, here's a post I had done over at BN that I think you guys will love. When I tried it I was extremely impressed:

Ok, guys, I just made this recipe I found and after trying it, the first thing that came to mind was that I HAD to post about it and share the wealth. I absolutely love it. I think it'll become a staple on workout days. It's a great blend of simple and complex carbs, fiber, etc.

You'll need these ingredients:

1 medium sweet potato (I used a large one but it tasted awesome anyway, so you might as well go big).

1 banana

1 cup crushed ice (I just put cubes in the blender and they crushed themselves as I blended it all up).

1 1/2 cups of orange juice

2 tablespoons of honey

1 cup of plain yogurt (I only had 6 oz. on hand, but it was fine. It'd prob. be even smoother and creamier w/ the full 8 oz. I just wasn't going to the store for 2 oz. of yogurt).

1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon

1. Cook sweet potato in boiling water until tender (I microwaved it for 6 and then 5 mins. after making a cross cut in it. Boiling seemed like it'd take too long and microwaving worked fine, so I went that route.). Cool, peel and mash until you have 1 cup of puree'. I'm sure I had more than a cup, but who cares when you want to max out on sweet potato consumption?

2. In a blender, puree' all ingredients until smooth and frothy. Serve cold.

So, I'm not kidding when I say this stuff tastes wonderful. The cinnamon adds a lot to it. It's really tasty, just slightly sweet. There's a ton of potassium in it, between the sweet potato, the banana and the oj. That would be ideal to fight muscle cramping.

The carbs would be tremendous...a blend of simple and complex, low and high glycemic...the majority being low from the sweet potato. There's a little protein from the yogurt, as well as yogurt cultures for a healthy gut.

I'm sure you could experiment w/ adding some protein powder to boost protein content, as long as it didn't thicken it up too much. Try this smoothie out and I think you guys will love it as much as I do.
Has anyone tried this one it seems GREAT pre W/O

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried this one it seems GREAT pre W/O
I made it a couple hrs. post workout, but It'd prob be great for pre-workout, too. Tastes REALLY good. If you guys haven't given it a whirl yet, you really need to.

CrissyJ

Awards
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Indian Spices

1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk (approximately)
Peanut oil for frying

1. Grate the sweet potatoes coarsely. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cumin, and salt and pepper.

2. Add the eggs and just enough milk to the dry ingredients to make a stiff batter. Add the potatoes and mix. The batter should be moist but not runny; if too stiff, add more milk.

3. Heat 1/4 inch of peanut oil in a frying pan until it is barely smoking. Drop in the batter by tablespoons and flatten. Fry over medium-high heat several minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I make my own sweet potato chips. Cut a sweet potato in thin slices. Take a cookie sheet and spray some olive oil on it then a dash of salt and pepper. Lay the chips down flat on the sheet then spray them with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Put in the oven on a medium temp until they become slightly golden around the edges.

When I say spray it’s because I use this device that lets me add my own olive oil that I have pump every now and then. It sprays the olive oil out in a mist.

And yes I find them for myself to be better then using normal potato.
...and since the OP mentioned it :D
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/51361-sweet-potato-fries.html

kitchenstud

kitchenstud

Awards
I really enjoy them whipped(mashed), but with a roasted banana mixed in. Add some chopped pecans(preferably toasted), along with a little maple syrup, and just a slight bit of butter and cream(or milk)- it doesn't take much of those so I wouldn't worry about it too much- and you've got some really killer sweet potatoes. We did them at work like that one time for family meal and its been my favorite way to make sweet potatoes since.

Naja

Awards
I nuke'em, split them in half, mush'em up a little with a fork and sprinkle Splenda and cinnamon over the halves before drizzling with fresh pressed or bottled ginger juice. If I need some EFA's I'll drizzle some flax oil over them also. Yummy.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
boil it till done. smash it. 1 pack splenda, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon....Killer Meal

AppliedBaby

AppliedBaby

Awards
love em mashed with spray butter, pumpkin pie spice, cinn, nutmeg, and splenda...mmmmm

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Where do you get spray butter, and is it healthy at all? Haven't seen that stuff, but it sounds interesting.

dsw222

dsw222

Awards
walmart, food store, etc.... its just butter watered down with a sprayer on it. 5 sprays is 0 calories so its not nearly as bad as butter or margarine. i usually use about 30 sprays tho lol

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Good to know. I usually use an omega spread, but this might be a good alternative for these SP recipes. Thanks.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
love em mashed with spray butter, pumpkin pie spice, cinn, nutmeg, and splenda...mmmmm
I just now noticed you're in Ca, PA. Most ppl. have prob never even heard of it, but i grew up in Pittsburgh, so I noticed it. Go Steelers (next yr, anyway)!

CodyMartin

CodyMartin

Awards
1 tsp olive oil
splenda brown sugar blend
cinnamon

cheap, fast, delicious with good fats!

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
try putting some fat free van. yogurt or light and lean on it with a handful of nuts. Gives it that thanksgiving quality and cals it up.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I've been making sweet potato chips, frying them in peanut oil. Probably not the healthiest way to eat them, but peanut oil is a good fat, at least.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established

I eat the top right one ( tastes like chestnut)

steamed sweet potatoes is tasty by it self.
try this for the bottom left one.

put on a flat sheet stick in oven for about 15-20 mins untill soft then cut in half put a little butter and brown sugar.
-can do same for butternut squash

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
brandoppsx

brandoppsx

Awards
I like to bake mine actually (or if I'm pressed for time I get one of the ones that they have at the store that are "microwaveable"...and nuke them for 7 minutes) and then when it's all cooked up, I top it with some cinnamon and Splenda and mash it all up. Good eats.

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
I love cutting them up like fries, baking them, and drizzle some EVO on them.

BigTyler

Awards
I like a mixture of one teaspoon chili garlic sauce, 1 teaspoon steak sauce, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce on mine with chicken and broccoli
The sweet, spicy, and vinegary combo is like a flavor explosion.