How to boil chicken?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

How to boil chicken?

Don't really have a recipe, but was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to boil (or poach) chicken breasts and how long they should keep. I was thinking of boiling them in crab boil for flavor. I thought this might be a good food for work, but am unsure of how to do it and how long they'll keep in the fridge. I'd appreciate anyone's insight.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

Do you have the ability to throw them on a grill? Grilling meat is the easiest way...and best to insure pure flavor
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

well, I'm thinking of this method so I can cook in bulk and bring it to work, in theory once a week if possible. my living situation limits the resources I have for cooking but was thinking I could hack it this way.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.59%

Here is what I found on the web about boiling chicken. It should give you a decent idea about boiling chicken.

"Place chicken breast halves in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 8-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Drain."

Then, you can shred it, cut into cubes, etc as everyone was describing. Now, I do know this: Make sure that it is not pink inside the chicken. After about 8 minutes, take one breast out and make a small slit in it. If it's pink, it needs to cook longer. But, a meat thermometer is the most accurate way and the safest. My guess is that they are talking about 4 chicken breasts. Cook longer for more than that. I don't know if this works for frozen chicken breasts.
    Here is another one that I found.

I always boil my chicken no matter what I am using it for. I boil it in just a couple of inches of water with a lid on it. When it is very close to being done I will take the lid off and season it then. I love mrs. dash grilling blends for chicken. It is salt FREE and has a wonderful flavor. Sometimes when all the water has cooked away I will spray the pan and chicken with butter flavored cooking spray and fry it till its light brown, making the outside crunchy but very juicy on the inside. Pork chops are excellent cooked this way also. For an added bonus you can top with fat free shredded cheddar or Mozzarella cheese when done, make sure you replace the lid and let sit for a couple of minutes. The steam helps the cheese melt, fat free is harder to melt but this works well I think.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.16%

D@M
    I saw that Tiger and thought you were making a gumbo
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

Quote Originally Posted by brass monkey View Post
    D@M
    I saw that Tiger and thought you were making a gumbo
    ...it's not cold enough yet!
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.99%

when i was doing it, i was throwing a ton of whatever the cheapest cut of chicken i could get, probably thighs, and poaching it with a lot of herbs and stuff. tastes really good after and you can easily peal the flesh off the bones for lunchmeat or whatever.

im not a great cook and a lot of what i did was supervised by a good cook, but i remember it would take a long time (40 mins maybe?) on a low temperature.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

How long should it keep in the fridge? I'm wondering if I can do something like this on a Sunday and keep it long enough in the fridge at work to get me through the week.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.99%

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    How long should it keep in the fridge? I'm wondering if I can do something like this on a Sunday and keep it long enough in the fridge at work to get me through the week.
    it should easily keep that long.

How to Poach Chicken | eHow.com this guide seems about right.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.45%

I would not eat any meats that are in the fridgefor 4 or 5 days nvermind a week. But it's up to you. BTW cooking chicken with chicken broth is good. You can even make it like soup and eat it cold or hot. I'm at work and just ate some-chick broth,thichs,escarole(type of green veg-lettuce),fresh garlic, olive oil(xtra virgin -naturally),and salt and peeper. Could probably add rice or pasta but currently doing locarb and either way I usually just do it like this.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Repost on how to reduce injection pain
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 11:20 AM
  2. How To Handle A Newbie
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 11:37 AM
  3. How to use insulin - the most anabolic hormone
    By Trevdog in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20