Homemade protein bars

Sulsuknjrk

Awards
8 Scoops Vanilla whey

3 cups oats

2 cups skim milk

1 box fat free sugar free pudding

Mix in a large bowl

Spray Pam or a nonstick grease into glass pan.

Put in Fridge

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
do these need to be refrigerated? whats the consistency like?

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
bump on that question? do they melt away once at room temp? What is the purpose of the pudding mix?

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
so you dont cook it at all? or cook it before mixing with other products?

my milk oatmeal protein scoop and peanut butter i have daily if i added something that would help hold its shape id have my own bars too

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Better Recipe

Homemade Protein Bar recipe - 8 servings

• 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 1/2 cup protein powder
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (NO SUGAR ADDED--fat drained)
  • 1 cup skim milk powder

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and add enough water to make a stiff dough -- you will have to get your hands dirty to mix it up; it's sticky.

Spray an 8x8 inch cake pan with Pam and press in dough evenly.

Refrigerate a few hours to harden, then cut into 8 - 12 bars, depending on requirements.

Wrap bars in plastic wrap & store in fridge.

You can adjust to your portion needs by cutting into larger or smaller bars. I cut mine into 8 bars and that works out to approx:

28.5g protein
22.5g carbs
6g fat
245 calories​

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established

• 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup skim milk powder

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and add enough water to make a stiff dough -- you will have to get your hands dirty to mix it up; it's sticky.

Refrigerate a few hours to harden, then cut into 8 - 12 bars, depending on requirements.

You can adjust to your portion needs by cutting into larger or smaller bars. I cut mine into 8 bars and that works out to approx:

28.5g protein
22.5g carbs
6g fat
245 calories​
your math makes no sense...

how you getting 22carbs x8.. if you only added like 50carbs total + ppb and milk = at most another 5-15?

you must of used a greater amount of total mixture right?

and did you grind these oats into flour or keep them whole?

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
your math makes no sense...

how you getting 22carbs x8.. if you only added like 50carbs total + ppb and milk = at most another 5-15?

you must of used a greater amount of total mixture right?

and did you grind these oats into flour or keep them whole?
Sorry bro...its not my recipe...so those numbers came w/ the recipe. That milk is powdered though so maybe that is where some added carbs come from.

I posted it because it is a better recipe for creating firmer bars than than the one posted w/ pudding. Plus the instructions are more complete.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Sorry bro...its not my recipe...so those numbers came w/ the recipe. That milk is powdered though so maybe that is where some added carbs come from.

I posted it because it is a better recipe for creating firmer bars than than the one posted w/ pudding. Plus the instructions are more complete.

I think I'm gonna try mashing a banana in there with the rest of the stuff

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established

• 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup skim milk powder

28.5g protein
22.5g carbs
6g fat
245 calories​
I don't have any skim milk powder on hand. Could I use regular skim milk?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
anyone made these?

old school wardog recipe

16 ounces Natural peanut butter
8 tablespoons honey
six scoops of Optimum Chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
anyone made these?

old school wardog recipe

16 ounces Natural peanut butter
8 tablespoons honey
six scoops of Optimum Chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup of uncooked oatmeal
thats very easy i might get creative later

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
how would this taste or workout with powdered oatmeal?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
guys, this is bar none the best tasting protein bar ever. trust me, its so damn good. Of course, I made some revisions of my own, some of which I believe helped even further with the consistency:

1/4 or 1/2 c. honey (depending on your macros. 1/4 was fine for me)
3/4 c. natty peanut butter
1/2 cup water (to start, then u can add another 1/4 cup so u can make the dough more pliable)
2 c. Granola mix (all natural)
1 c. chopped walnuts and almonds
2c Oats
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinammon
*7 scoops chocolate protein (honestly, i just used WALMART's body fortress chocolate...pretty good too)
1 cup of splenda

Brought the water, honey, splenda to a boil. Added the PB, and lowered to a simmer. Threw the oats, granola, whey, nuts, and remainder of dry ingredients in a bowl. STIR it up good. Take the liquide off of the stove when the PB is melted and add into the mixture, and add vanilla. Mix the liquid into the dry ingrediants, put in a 8x8 or 9x9 glass dish

Put in the freezer for about an hour.....take out, and add 8oz of fat free cream cheese. Put back in freezer for another hour and then take out and cut into 8 bars.

*** One thing i did that was pretty successful was to take 1/2 the dough....spread it out in a glass dish....freeze for like 30 min....take out and spread the cream cheese over that.....then add the other 1/2 of dough over the cream cheese (making like a sandwich)....then place back in the freezer for like an hour....oh my...sooooo goood when u throw it in the microwave for 20 secs.....

the consistency is TERRIFIC....

enjoy

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
how would this taste or workout with powdered oatmeal?

actually it should work great..with the other ingredients you barely notice the oatmeal in the ba.they taste like a dry reeses cup

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is a copy and paste job from BB.com, I am going to try these this weekend to see what comes out best.

This recipie contains only natural, whole foods (with the exception of the protein powder) and tastes AMAZING, you have to try it. I invented it a couple of hours ago and the first batch is incredible, I'll never have another commercial protein bar ever again.

- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 cup fat free milk ( 360 = 52c/0f/32p)
- 8 tbs. natural peanut butter ( 720 = 24c/64f/28p)
- 11 scoops protein powder ( 1320 = 33c/22f/253p)
- 2 Cups oats ( 600 = 108c/12f/20p)

- Caloires: 3000
- Protein: 333
- Fat: 98
- Carbs: 218

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees

2. Coat medium size baking pan with non-stick spray

3. Mix egg whites and milk together in a large mixing bowl. Add 11 scoops of your favorite protein
powder and mix thoroughly. Add peanut butter and oats, and mix well. Add salt, and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.

5. Pour the batter into baking pan and cook for 30-60 minutes or until you reach the desired moisture level.
(alternatively, you can cook at a higher temperature, around 350, for less time, but I've heard conflicting reports on how high heat denatures the protein, I'll let mine go lower, for longer)

6. Remove from oven and place in refridgerator to cool. Cut into 10 equally sized bars

For 10 Bars, each has approximately:

- Caloires: 300
- Protein: 33
- Fat: 10
- Carbs: 22

Tips:
*Might want to cook longer then advised for a more crispy texture.
*Microwave Peanut Butter so it mixes better
I have tried substituting several grains (and other dry stuff) in with the oats, and I don't know that it makes much difference; of the stuff I have tried (cracked wheat, quinoa, crushed Pretzels, Cherrio's, powdered Grahm Crackers) Crushed Pretzels, and cracked Wheat where the best, Cherrios are good, and Quinoa just didn't seem great to me. I have varied the grain protein powder and liqiud a bit an I think that I was pretty close with the original recipe. I might change it up to something like this.

3/4c. honey
1/2 c. natty peanut butter
3/4c. cup water
1 c. Rice Krispies, corn flakes, any whot grain, crushed pretzels
2c Oats (rolled)
1 tsp. vanilla
*6 scoops chocolate protein (100% ON, to be exact)
1/4-1/3 cup of splenda
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Bring the water, honey to a boil; Added the PB, and vanilla then lowered heat to a simmer. Mix the oats, cereal, Splenda, Protein powder, Choc Chips(optional) in a bowl. Take the liquid off of the stove when the PB is melted into the mixture. Mix the liquid into the dry ingrediants until you have a moist bar mixture. Spread the mixture into a baking pan. Put the Baking pan in the oven under broil (low setting, middle rack) for 3 minutes.

If you cut this into 8 bars it looks to come down to (according to Fitday):
Cal: 245
Fat:14g
Carb:28g
Protein:35g

(adding the Choc chips would increase the per bar value by: Cal-40, Fat-2.5g, Carb 5g, Protein-0)

Mixed into a Bowl
2.5 cups Oats
11 scoops of whey
4tbsp Nat. PB
4 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
1 Packet FF pudding (I didn’t have sugar free, oh well 19 grams of sugar)

Poured into a large glass baking pan and sprinkled Cinnamon and Splenda on top.

Baked in Oven for 16 minutes at 350 degrees (I didn’t wanna risk burning them, cause that’s a lot of powder!)

The most important thing about making these bars is that you don't cook them too long. When experimenting with the recipe, I cooked one batch (350 degrees F) for 15 minutes, another batch for 20 minutes, and a third batch for 25 minutes. The 15 minute batch were undercooked, but were very tasty. The 20-minute batch weren't sticky and gooey, but were almost overcooked and didn't quite have the flavor of the 15 minute batch. The 25-minute batch were nasty and could be used for hockey pucks. So the ideal time is right between 15 and 20 minutes. Just check to make sure they don't get too hard.

Ingredients:

8 scoops vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
2 cups rolled oats
4 medium bananas (raw)
1.2 oz banana chips (about one handful)
4 tbsp chunky peanut butter
1 cup granulated Splenda
1 tsp salt

Instructions:

1. In a clean, dry blender, process one cup of rolled oats into flour (blend on medium for about 1 minute).

2. After removing the oat flour, put the banana chips into the blender and chop into chips (only takes a few seconds).

3. Put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together: oat flour, the remaining rolled oats (1 cup), chopped banana chips, protein powder, Splenda, salt.

4. Slice the raw bananas into the blender and process on medium speed, until producing a puree. Add the peanut butter and blend for a few seconds, just until mixed (you want to leave some peanut chunks for texture).

5. Stir the banana-peanut butter puree together with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

6. Cut 8 squares of aluminum foil, about 6X10 inches each. Lightly coat the interior with a cooking spray. Spoon out an equal portion of the mixture onto each foil square, and roll them into a bar shape. I fold them like tamales, folding the ends over as well. You can flatten them into bar shapes if you want, to avoid the resemblance to what it might look like after it passes through your body.

7. Bake the bars in the foil in a preheated oven at 350-degrees F, for 16-20 minutes. *Be sure not to overcook*

Makes 8 bars.

Macronutrient Profile (each bar):
K/cal - 323
Protein - 28 g
Carbs - 37 g (5 g fiber; 18 g sugar)
Fat - 8 g (3s, 3m, 2p)

2004-2005 John K. Williams. All rights reserved.

Aight, so i tried these bars and they were very very very dry!...how do you make them a little more moist?
P.S. I only cooked em for 14 minutes!
4 Eggs
5 Cups of Oats
6 Scoops of ONChoc Whey
3 Table Spoons of Golden Syrup
2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
2 Cups of Low Fat Milk
4 Teaspoons of Coco
4 HEAPED Table Spoons of Peanut Paste "butter"
2 Tea Spoons of Bicarb Soda

Put the wet ingredients in bowl first then dry on top Bring it all together.
Bake at 150 degrees celcius for around 20 mins depending on how big you make them.
I prefer this one to my last one because I left out the pudding mix..which has high sugar and other commercial preservatives and junk.

After 20+ experimental batches, I can safely say I have a winner. First key is the right ingredients. I buy my protein powder unsweetened in bulk direct from the dairy. You can use flavored powder in this recipie, but it is inferior. For taste the other key is USP Vegtable Glycerin. It is a low-glycemic sweetener that also makes them taste moist and not dry or chalky. You can buy both ingredients online. Without glycerine you either have to go with something that is only edible in a bowl of milk or else add so much fat they are not really healty anymore. Just read the ingredients of your favorite packaged bar, you'll see glycerine in the 2nd or 3rd ingredient.

Here's the basic recipie, with flavoring options below.

4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
5 cups unsweetened, unflavored protein poweder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups USP glycerine
1 1/4 cup Splenda (or sweetener of choice. Omit if using pre-sweetened protein)
2/3 cup molasses (omit if using pre-sweetened protein, or if you desire lower carb bars -increase Splenda by 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup milk (hold in reserve)

Flavor Option 1 (Bannana-Nut):
4 soft bannanas mashed
2.5 cups walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate (or carob) chips
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon (1/2 tbsp if you are not a big cinnamon fan)
2 tsp vanilla

Flavor Option 2 (pinapple-raisin-almond):
1 12 oz can (drained) crushed pinapple or 1/2 fresh pinapple chopped
1 cup raisins
2.5 cups chopped almonds
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp almond extract

Flavor Option 3 (low carb):
3 peeled, cored & grated apples
2.5 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon (1/2 tbsp if you are not a big cinnamon fan)
2 tsp vanilla

Hold 1 cup protein and milk in reserve. Combine all other ingredients in large bowl mixing with rubber spatula until protein is mixed in. Add flavoring of choice based on taste and carb ratio desired. Batter should have a thick glue like consitency, slowly add a little milk or protein, it only takes a little mosture to be too much, so add slowly to get your mix right.

Cover a 12 x 18 x 1 inch deep sheet cake tray with foil and spray with canola oil. Spread batter evenly into sheet, then bake in 350 degree oven on the TOP shelf (protein burns easily) for 40-45 minutes. Watch closely the last 10 minutes as it quickly goes from underdone to overdone. Using a smaller tray will increase cooking time.

Remove foil and baked product from tray, cut with pizza cutter into even size bars. Allow to cool then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze (they will mold in 48 hrs otherwise). You can thaw a bar by microwaving for 30 seconds

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
This is a good thread. I made the protein bars, but had to eat it with a spoon. I might try putting it in the fridge longer.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
seriously the ones i listed are tried and true i have made many a batch and are great for when your "on" for the added calorie boost

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
seriously the ones i listed are tried and true i have made many a batch and are great for when your "on" for the added calorie boost
I may have to give yours a shot....but im telling ya, mine are unbelievably good....ive made them at least 5 times and everytime they are better....especially with the fat free cream cheese. I eat these every morning for my breakfast. Each bar contains a nice amount of protein, carbs, and good fats. I will have to get the macros from a piece of paper at home....

thanks

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established

• 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup skim milk powder

28.5g protein
22.5g carbs
6g fat
245 calories​
For a 1/4 cup it's hardly worth draining the fat from the peanut butter, besides it's healthy fat, so it's a questionable thing to do.