- 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Coconut Chocolate Date Nut Bars
3 cups dried pitted dates
1 ½ cups raisins
1 cup slivered or whole almonds
¾ cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1. In a large bowl mix together the coconut and cocoa.
2. Chop almonds in blender or food processor – ½ cup at a time and add to coconut/cocoa mixture. Mix well
3. Grind dates and raisins in blender or food processor – ½ cup at a time then mix together with dry ingredients
4. Continue mixing until all ingredients are well blended
5. Line an 8 x 8 or similar size container with wax or parchment paper
6. Empty mixture into container. Use a second piece of wax paper to press mixture evenly down into container
7. Refrigerate, cut into bars
Notes: Use a spatula to help remove ground dates and raisins from blender. Use a strong fork to mix ground dates and raisins in with chopped almonds, coconut and chocolate.
============================== ============================== ====
3 cups dried dates
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts - can be almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews or peanuts - I used 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup pecans
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 cups dried dates
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 1/4 cups cashews
cinnamon to taste
Don't have all the nutrition facts, but here's some info on dates, which BTW are a good source of sucrose:
All values are based per 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of dates.
Dates have a high carbohydrate content:
Carbohydrates - 73.5 g* (g* - grams)
Total dietary fiber - 7.5 g
Sugars - 66 g
Proteins - 2 g
Total fat - 0.45 g
Calcium - 32 mg* (mg* - milligrams = 0.001 grams)
Magnesium - 35 mg
Phosphorus - 40 mg
Potassium - 652 mg
There are even more minerals like Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium but they are in a smaller quantity.
Beta-carotene - 5 mcg
Lutein + zeaxanthin - 75 mcg
Vitamin B6 - 0.192 mg in a single date
Total folate - 13 mcg
Dates contain also Vitamin A1, B1, B2, B3, B5, C and more than 20 different amino acids; they help us digest and assimilate carbohydrates easier and control blood sugar levels and fatty acids content in our bodies.
The selenium lowers the risk of cancer and heart diseases, as well as helps us keep our immune systems healthy.
Calorie count per date
A single date contains an average amount of 23 calories, which is considered a very low caloric amount.
Similar Forum Threads
- By mondata in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 6Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
- By Pitbull954 in forum RecipesReplies: 2Last Post: 06-28-2006, 01:21 AM
- By adpanther in forum RecipesReplies: 4Last Post: 05-17-2006, 04:15 PM
- By bpdaddy in forum SupplementsReplies: 8Last Post: 12-19-2002, 12:00 PM
- By whale in forum Training ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 11-12-2002, 03:51 PM