• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1 cup corn meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup maltodextrin
2 eggs (i used hi omega 3 free range grain fed)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients, blend the wet in until just all mixed together, makes 6 decent sized muffins.

drink it down with straight protein shake, and you are all set!
per muffin -

Energy 271.045 Cal
Protein 7.66 g
Fats 12.375 g
Polyunsaturates 0.763 g
Monosaturates 1.523 g
Saturates 8.995 g
Cholesterol 73.211 mg
Carbohydrates 33.734 g

I'm going to try some variations on it, to boost the protein some. I dont mind the fats at that level, as it is MCT fats. i may drop that a little though, and replace with egg whites, see how it turns out. If I can hit 20+g of protein, and get the carbs up to 40 while being all complex carbs, thats what I want.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Couldn't you try putting a scoop, or two, of whey protein into the mix?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem is that whey starts to break down at 140 degrees. In the end, I think just having a muffin with 3 eggs on the side is the best answer :D

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
The problem is that whey starts to break down at 140 degrees. In the end, I think just having a muffin with 3 eggs on the side is the best answer :D
You taught me this when I asked if you could heat up the cinnamon whey during the winter

By the way... are complex carbs best post workout, early morning, or dinner-ish?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really complex carbs are good anytime. Its the simple carbs that ONLY make sense at during or immediately post workout. I try to taper carbs down later in the day, but thats just cause i'm still on the cutting side. plus I think it is easier to sleep with less carbs later in the day

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
i was wondering the same thing about when i should put in the carbs. what kind of foods would you suggest pre workout to get in the simple carbs?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't hardly ever take in simple carbs. but drinking a gatorade during/right after workout is ok, or making that post workout shake with a cup of mixed berries + some vanilla whey is nice.

Ok, sometimes I do that :D or chocolate. Walmart sells frozen mixed blackberry/rasberry/blueberries, so a cup of those plus whey and water to get it to move in the blender is a nice post workout smoothie with simple carbs. I probably do that less than once a week. So even post workout is usually moderately complex carbs, bananas being my "simplest" carb that I eat regularly. Of course a couple cheat meals a week I may actually have a baked potato or something like that, but i'm not counting that.