Sushi?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have always liked sushi, but for the past few months I am calling it an addiction, no one I knew really liked it but now all of a sudden I have about 4 friends who eat sushi, and I am the guy to call when its time to goto the sushi bar, which for me is minimum once a week but on average twice a week, this is turning out to be more expensive than drugs/ciggarettes, the most I have clocked up in one sitting is $40.

So I think its time to learn how to make it myself. Now my brother used to be a chef and I remember when he made sushi a long time ago it simply sucked, I think the hard part is making the rice, if anyone knows of a good detailed recipe I would really appreciate it.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm right there with you my friend, I love my sushi. I usually spend 100 plus per week. My name is Phil and I'm a sushi addict. I think I need a program or a support group

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I love sushi, but it is too expensive b/c I'm trying to buy a house soon. My friend married a Japanese woman, so they hook it up sometimes.

Does anyone know anything about the nutritional info? I wonder how much protein you actually get, and how much fat is in the eel/avocado rolls that are so damn good.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
Yuky!. I don't think I will ever try it!
u r missing out.i tell the following to everyone i hear say something similar to what u just said.if someone brought out a meal including sushi and didnt tell u.u would munch that piece of sushi and say 'damn that is delicious what is that?!'

i admit i had the social stigma of the gross factor as well but i tried a first piece of oh so good sea bass in its wonderful raw state a few years ago and i have been hooked ever since.so good for u and so good tastewise.crank that wasabi and gingerr on there and your all set!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Thanks yeahright, great site.

If you havent tried sushi before you really need to go somewhere good, I have only recently(in the past year) found afew really good restruants, the old one I used to goto really sucks compared to these ones, one being a franchise chain and another being a runners up best sushi restruant in the metropolitin area.

If you want something nice order a hand roll(temaki not maki) with salmon avocado and mayonaise, and if they have it add in cream cheese and/or smoked salmon.

charger71

Awards
  • Established
i love sushi! a girl i known made me spam musubi, which isnt sushi but still delicious, she used a rice cooker to cook the rice and it was delicious. making the rice perfect is definitely key to great sushi, getting a rice cooker would be the first step...

i dunno if you like ahi tuna but seared ahi is delicious and doesnt require rice, just slap it on a flaming hot pan with some lemon and herbs for a few moments then take it off. its raw and delicious, and tons of protein!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
tried it at least 20 times, and just can't get into it. the tuna ones reminded me of dishwashing detergent flavored bubblegum. wife loves it, but not for me. i'd rather have the finer things in life - like a double whopper :D

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
tried it at least 20 times, and just can't get into it. the tuna ones reminded me of dishwashing detergent flavored bubblegum. wife loves it, but not for me. i'd rather have the finer things in life - like a double whopper :D
I don't know if it's going to work out between us then.

Sashimi is my favorite food.

charger71

Awards
  • Established
i could live off spicy tuna roles...but i put so much wasabi in my soy sauce that it makes everyone around me sick just to look at, if my eyes dont water then its not hot enough!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if it's going to work out between us then.

Sashimi is my favorite food.
auf dem Gegenteil, it would actually work better as you could eat all the sushi and i would never steal any. :hot:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Shucks, I do love our picnics together..

sold!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Beef sashimi? Hmm.. I'll try it sometime.

I love Sake (Salmon) or Toro (fatty tuna) Sashimi.. I'm pretty easy. ;)

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
if i could eat sushi all day i would. i love it so expensive though, maybe i can eat more when i get out of college hahah

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beef sashimi? Hmm.. I'll try it sometime.

I love Sake (Salmon) or Toro (fatty tuna) Sashimi.. I'm pretty easy. ;)
Imagine combining the awesomeness of a thick, juicy steak with sashimi.

bluecollar

bluecollar

Awards
I have always liked sushi, but for the past few months I am calling it an addiction, no one I knew really liked it but now all of a sudden I have about 4 friends who eat sushi, and I am the guy to call when its time to goto the sushi bar, which for me is minimum once a week but on average twice a week, this is turning out to be more expensive than drugs/ciggarettes, the most I have clocked up in one sitting is $40.

So I think its time to learn how to make it myself. Now my brother used to be a chef and I remember when he made sushi a long time ago it simply sucked, I think the hard part is making the rice, if anyone knows of a good detailed recipe I would really appreciate it.
my in laws are japanese and eat white rice with every f****ing meal!!!and they always use a rice cooker (its like a crock pot for rice) its the real deal... very sticky

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I'm a diehard sushi fan.. and this is almost too easy - use Brown rice, and you will hardly notice a difference when you mush it in with the rest of the ingredients and of course, the wasabi.. I can even get my brother eating this :)

ingredients - for one serving (approx 2 sushi rolls)

0.4 cup cooked brown rice
1tsp white vinegar
3 oz tuna
1/4 avocado
few leaves of lettuce
2 squares of dried seaweed (approx 10X10 inches)

Condiments - wasabi (as much as you like - I LOVE the kick) and soy sauce

You may need a bamboo rack for rolling (i got mine for about $2 from a chinese grocery store) or you can just use your hand to roll it up.

Method

1 Mix vinegar into the brown rice
2 Lay a piece of seaweed onto mat/plate
3 Spread half the rice onto the seaweed, making sure it gets to the edges (lower half of the sheet)
4 Dunk on top some drained tuna, sliced avocado and lettuce
5 Roll up and dip in wasabi/soy!! YUM AND HEALTHY

repeat with other half of the ingredients
Cals: 359 - 36c, 29p, 11f ==> 37/34/30

Options:
You can add or modify these ingredients however you like. add chicken and ffree mayo, salmon, smoked salmon, remove avocado if you dont want too much fat and add cucumber.

Experiment and enjoy !

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Learn to make your own.

Nice chunk of tuna is like 10 bucks... seaweed and rice is like 3 bucks... It is not at all expensive or hard to make.

Edit:
OR just get Tuna and eat it as is (maybe rice wine + soy marinade) it's better for you.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Ive never seen raw eel, its usually smoked.

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
hmm... I just had a sushi place open up where I live. I do love some whitefish but I have never had sushi! What would be good for a newbie to try

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
WHITE TUNA is like buttah! :D Sushi is the best!

Hey Bry, try a Japanese Bagel - Salmon and Cream Cheese Roll. If you like the raw stuff, tuna and white tuna is great!

If you don't like the raw fish, try a california roll (crab) or a butterfly roll (shrimp).

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
hmm... I just had a sushi place open up where I live. I do love some whitefish but I have never had sushi! What would be good for a newbie to try
Salmon nigiri and tuna nigiri, thats the stock standard newbie dish.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
I just found this thread, and don't know if you got your rice done yet, but it breaks down like this:

First you have to buy the right rice..the Asian markets usually carry a wide variety labeled as "sushi rice" I use Kokuho, which is a variety grown in california of all places...

Sushi rice must be rinsed until the water runs clear and then soaked in cool water for 30 minutes before cooking. While the soaking takes place mix together equal parts Mirin (Basically, a sweet rice wine...if Mirin is unavailable, you can just dissolve a small amount of sugar into some sake) and rice wine vinegar. Set this mixture aside.

Rinse the rice again briefly and place in a rice cooker or a heavy bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. your proportions are: 1 part rice to 1.5 parts water, regardless of how you are cooking the rice. I'm going to assume that you don't have a rice cooker, don't worry, it will come out just fine on the stove top.

Bring the rice and water to a brief boil and lower the heat to a very, very low simmer. cover tightly and cook for about 10-15 minutes.

The final, and most often neglected step is cooling the rice...sushi rice must be brought to room temperature as quickly as possible. Pour the cooked rice into a container with plenty of surface area and if you have a clean fan available point the fan at the rice. agitate the rice using a wooden spoon or paddle in a 'slicing motion' while very slowly drizzling in the vinegar/mirin mixture (a disposable container with holes punched in it, or a squeeze bottle is good for this). continue to do this until the rice has cooled. the rice will begin to take on an opaque and shiny appearance.

Use the rice immediately..it cannot be refrigerated and re-used.

A few notes: special tools are helpful, but not required. the first is a wooden bowl and paddle for cooling the rice once its cooked..the logic here is that wood absorbs the correct amount of moisture while cooling...I have used wood, stainless steel, and plastic and found no noticeable difference. you will get better results with a rice cooker, but a difference that will barely be noticeable to 99.9% of the population.

I have worked as a chef in 2 different sushi bars and rice/water ratios are never measured...I teach at a culinary school, and my students never believe me until I demonstrate the following technique....No matter how big your hands are, the proper amount of water is equal to the first joint of your index finger. in otherwords, if you place your soaked rice in the vessel, fill it with water, tap the vessel to smooth out the rice, touch the top of the rice (which will be submerged) with the tip of your index finger, the water should come up to the first joint of your finger...you have the right amount of water. period. works every time...I tell my students that I can't explain it in any rational terms...it just works.

I think that's everything...It's funny, I'm teaching a sushi class tomorrow night!

As mentioned, I am an adjunct culinary professor at a local culinary school, a Certified Executive Chef (A distinction held by less than 4000 chefs on the planet), and own and operate my own foodservice consulting firm. I'll probably get flamed all to hell for this, since I have yet to post a recipe in the recipe section!!!!!

Good luck with your rice, and post if you run into trouble!!!!

Dozi

Awards
Spicy scallop hand roll being my ABSOLUTE favorite, close second to a spicy yellow tail roll....

i could live off of sushi if i could afford it lol!

best thing to do hoenstly, find a place in your area that has an all you can eat night, and go for it! mines on a monday at a place fairly close....cost is 23$ and i can clear EASILY over 40$ worth...pretty good deal.

nbs991

Awards
salmon roe is my favorite (ikura?), but it became far too expensive of a habit for me (we're talking splitting sushi boats 3 ways 3 or 4 times a week), so i basically just go to my supermarket's seafood section and slice up some fresh salmon and eat it raw:box: cooked fish isn't very tasty to me

thewrx

Awards
My favorite is covering an entire tuna steak (fresh not frozen) with black pepper. Then place on a cookie sheet and lightly torch it with a propane torch, on all sides. I find this method works better than searing in a pan. The tuna is raw inside with a seared edge.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
My favorite is covering an entire tuna steak (fresh not frozen) with black pepper. Then place on a cookie sheet and lightly torch it with a propane torch, on all sides. I find this method works better than searing in a pan. The tuna is raw inside with a seared edge.
Interesting idea.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Man, I don't know where you guys live, but i would hate to live there.
Here in Houston there are many chinese resturants that sell sushi now, about $12 including ice tea.

I eat sushi 2-3 times a week. AND YES ITS FRESH. You can see the chefs take the sushi out of the ice pack and make it.

riseboi

riseboi

Awards
  • Established
Here in Houston there are many chinese resturants that sell sushi now, about $12 including ice tea.

I eat sushi 2-3 times a week. AND YES ITS FRESH. You can see the chefs take the sushi out of the ice pack and make it.
Wow! I wonder how fresh they are in the Japanese restaurants. ;)

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Yeah some places have it rough. Out here we have more sushi places than Starbuck's coffee shops so it is really affordable (and just as addicting.)

Loco187

Loco187

Awards
could you just go buy a salmon fillet and eat it? Thats what salmon sashimi is right?

riseboi

riseboi

Awards
  • Established
could you just go buy a salmon fillet and eat it? Thats what salmon sashimi is right?
you could but I wouldn't typically recommend it. Sushi grade fish is typically much higher in quality and more importantly, a LOT fresher than what you'd get at the supermarket.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to get brown rice to get all sitcky, it's almost there, but not quite.

Anyone have any ideas? (I can make sushi just fine with sushi rice)

riseboi

riseboi

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to get brown rice to get all sitcky, it's almost there, but not quite.

Maybe you could pre-soak the rice for a few hours in water before cooking.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Mackerel all day long my friends. I love that 'bait-fish' taste. I can probably go to the docks and get mackerel for free ;)

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established

strain then microwave for a couple minutes.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
The stickiness in rice is determined by the amylopectine content, and brown rice doesn't have enough of it. Sushi rice has an optimal amylopectin content to be pliable.

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
eel is so good, i get them on dragon rolls, theres this high end sushi place by my house i like to go to on thur nights, its 20 for all you can eat after 8:30pm i usually eat 6 sets of rolls, i'm not big on the sushimi, i wonder how much protein im getting.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
eel is so good, i get them on dragon rolls, theres this high end sushi place by my house i like to go to on thur nights, its 20 for all you can eat after 8:30pm i usually eat 6 sets of rolls, i'm not big on the sushimi, i wonder how much protein im getting.
Sushimi rules, but it takes a while to really love the texture.