Low Fat Ezekiel Pasta

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't know how many of you guys have tried Ezekiel 4:9 "low glycemic" Penne, but let me tell you, it's good stuff.

The other day, for my postworkout meal/carbfest after my leg workout, I made some pasta that turned out really well.

Ingredients:

Ezekiel 4:9 Penne pasta (1 box)
99 percent lean Ground Turkey from Sprouts
Walnut Acres' Organic fat free/low sodium Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
Black pepper

First, I boiled 4 quarts of water in a big pot and then added the Ezekiel pasta. I let it cook for about 5-6 minutes and then drained it and rinsed with cool water. While I was cooking the pasta, I sprayed a skillet with Pam and threw the ground turkey in and cooked it till there was no more pinkness to it. I added some pepper and a little bit of the pasta sauce to the turkey as it was cooking also. After that, I just mixed the ground turkey and pasta in the empty pasta pot and poured as much pasta sauce on top as I thought looked good. I didn't measure anything or take specific macros into account because I used this as a cheat meal. All that I know is it tastes really good for the ingredients used. :food:

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I love the Ezekial bread, so I was excited when I saw the pasta on the shelf. When I saw the price, I nearly jumped, though. Expensive as hell compared to Barilla Plus and other whole wheat or multigrain alternatives. I wish they'd drop the price a bit.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should be able to cut the Ezekiel with standard whole wheat, to lessen the wallet crunch.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not a bad idea...50/50?
I would say, yes.

I might even throw in some standard white or flavored pasta (maybe 20%) for a very nice tender, varied blend of textures, GIs, and tastes.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I would say, yes.

I might even throw in some standard white or flavored pasta (maybe 20%) for a very nice tender, varied blend of textures, GIs, and tastes.
Great idea dsade...very cool! Sometimes we forget that we can change the G-load ourselves and even include high GI foods.

For example if I have a salad first then follow with a large cookie my blood sugar barely moves up...if I eat that cookie by itself that blood sugar goes way up.

I'm gonna try following your suggestion and create a pasta blend.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
I would say, yes.

Damn , making my mouth water just reading this thread. I actually never tried the Ezekial bread or pasta...:blink: I usually eat rye crisp bread or multigrain crisp bread, but i might give it a go.

*rushes off to kroger*

edit: need to pick up the pasta also - do they sell it a kroger?

Speedbacker

Awards
You should be able to cut the Ezekiel with standard whole wheat, to lessen the wallet crunch.
I agree, but not when you have horrible intolerance to wheat gluten.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I want to try the tortillas and the pasta. I may try Costco or something.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
That was your CHEAT MEAL? Man... you must have a super-uber-duper-clean diet! I eat regular whole wheat pasta almost daily... lol make me feel like a fatass!

Recipe sounds great, by the way!

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
That was your CHEAT MEAL? Man... you must have a super-uber-duper-clean diet! I eat regular whole wheat pasta almost daily... lol make me feel like a fatass!

Recipe sounds great, by the way!
Nothing wrong w/ consuming whole grains on a daily basis. It's just a matter of portions depending what your goals are.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nothing wrong w/ consuming whole grains on a daily basis. It's just a matter of portions depending what your goals are.
Word.

The reason it's a cheat meal is because it's not on my normal diet and I didn't measure/weigh anything.