Low Fat Ezekiel Pasta

1. Low Fat Ezekiel Pasta

I don't know how many of you guys have tried Ezekiel 4:9 "low glycemic" Penne, but let me tell you, it's good stuff.

The other day, for my postworkout meal/carbfest after my leg workout, I made some pasta that turned out really well.

Ingredients:

Ezekiel 4:9 Penne pasta (1 box)
    99 percent lean Ground Turkey from Sprouts
    Walnut Acres' Organic fat free/low sodium Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
    Black pepper

First, I boiled 4 quarts of water in a big pot and then added the Ezekiel pasta. I let it cook for about 5-6 minutes and then drained it and rinsed with cool water. While I was cooking the pasta, I sprayed a skillet with Pam and threw the ground turkey in and cooked it till there was no more pinkness to it. I added some pepper and a little bit of the pasta sauce to the turkey as it was cooking also. After that, I just mixed the ground turkey and pasta in the empty pasta pot and poured as much pasta sauce on top as I thought looked good. I didn't measure anything or take specific macros into account because I used this as a cheat meal. All that I know is it tastes really good for the ingredients used.

2. I love the Ezekial bread, so I was excited when I saw the pasta on the shelf. When I saw the price, I nearly jumped, though. Expensive as hell compared to Barilla Plus and other whole wheat or multigrain alternatives. I wish they'd drop the price a bit.

3. You should be able to cut the Ezekiel with standard whole wheat, to lessen the wallet crunch.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
    •   

4. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    You should be able to cut the Ezekiel with standard whole wheat, to lessen the wallet crunch.
    Not a bad idea...50/50?

5. Quote Originally Posted by nightfly71 View Post
    Not a bad idea...50/50?
    I would say, yes.

I might even throw in some standard white or flavored pasta (maybe 20%) for a very nice tender, varied blend of textures, GIs, and tastes.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  6. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I would say, yes.

I might even throw in some standard white or flavored pasta (maybe 20%) for a very nice tender, varied blend of textures, GIs, and tastes.
    Great idea dsade...very cool! Sometimes we forget that we can change the G-load ourselves and even include high GI foods.

For example if I have a salad first then follow with a large cookie my blood sugar barely moves up...if I eat that cookie by itself that blood sugar goes way up.

I'm gonna try following your suggestion and create a pasta blend.

7. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    I would say, yes.

Damn , making my mouth water just reading this thread. I actually never tried the Ezekial bread or pasta... I usually eat rye crisp bread or multigrain crisp bread, but i might give it a go.

*rushes off to kroger*

edit: need to pick up the pasta also - do they sell it a kroger?

8. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    You should be able to cut the Ezekiel with standard whole wheat, to lessen the wallet crunch.
    I agree, but not when you have horrible intolerance to wheat gluten.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotato View Post
    edit: need to pick up the pasta also - do they sell it a kroger?
    We don't have "Krogers" here, but I buy it at Frys, which I'm pretty sure is owned by Krogers.

10. Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    We don't have "Krogers" here, but I buy it at Frys, which I'm pretty sure is owned by Krogers.
    Thanks Ill check it out and report back.

11. I want to try the tortillas and the pasta. I may try Costco or something.

12. nice work, rpen!

13. That was your CHEAT MEAL? Man... you must have a super-uber-duper-clean diet! I eat regular whole wheat pasta almost daily... lol make me feel like a fatass!

Recipe sounds great, by the way!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    That was your CHEAT MEAL? Man... you must have a super-uber-duper-clean diet! I eat regular whole wheat pasta almost daily... lol make me feel like a fatass!

Recipe sounds great, by the way!
    Nothing wrong w/ consuming whole grains on a daily basis. It's just a matter of portions depending what your goals are.

15. Quote Originally Posted by nightfly71 View Post
    Nothing wrong w/ consuming whole grains on a daily basis. It's just a matter of portions depending what your goals are.
    Word.

The reason it's a cheat meal is because it's not on my normal diet and I didn't measure/weigh anything.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whole wheat pasta with low fat cottage cheese...
    By BaldwinBoy in forum Recipes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
  2. Study: Low-fat vs. low-carb
    By Dwight Schrute in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 11:41 PM
  3. IGF-1 and Slin for low fat gain
    By crazy gains in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 10:10 PM
  4. Low Fat diet dangers