Chunk Lite Done Right Thread

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're anything like me...........I'm sorry to hear that.....I mean.....then you buy chunk lite tuna in bulk, and eat it like crazy! So let's share our favorite ways to dress it up into some kick ass tuna salads (or other tuna recipes).

Personally I love mixing it with Woeber's Sweet'n'Spicy Mustard, and sprinkled with grated cheese.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
mixing it with homade salsa
tomatos
cilantro
habaneras
onions
its the only way to choke it down

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mixing it with homade salsa
tomatos
cilantro
habaneras
onions
its the only way to choke it down
And you're the one to know about choking stuff down. Ooh!

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist such a perfect set up.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
tuna w/ diced dill pickle, green onions, low fat mayo with parmesan, toasted on whole grain bread. Yum.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
yeah i left myself wide open :fart:
at least your getting some practice for your rip on each other thread.:think:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Mix it with chili sauce, cumin & garlic.
Put it on one side of a tortilla with a little cheese.
Fold and cook in a dry frying pan untill tortilla is toasted and filling is hot/cheese melted.
They are fing delicious.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I used to mix it with FF Cottage Cheese. Sometimes I'd throw some raw oats in there as well, mix it all together, and eat it out of the bowl.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to mix it with FF Cottage Cheese. Sometimes I'd throw some raw oats in there as well, mix it all together, and eat it out of the bowl.
I used to mix all that with salsa & hot sauce. It looked like cat puke and people thought I was disgusting for eating it, but didn't taste all that bad at all.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I used to mix all that with salsa & hot sauce. It looked like cat puke and people thought I was disgusting for eating it, but didn't taste all that bad at all.
I was on the fence about this recipe, then i got to "cat puke" now im sold. :think:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I would toss some Cholula hot sauce on it from time to time too. Ughh, I ate so much tuna like this at one point that now it kinda makes me sick to even think about it. Sucks, but I kinda scarred myself by eating it so often that I associate feeling nauseous with tuna now.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Sucks, but I kinda scarred myself by eating it so often that I associate feeling nauseous with tuna now.

Not to nitpick or anything BUT:

When one feels like vomiting, one feels NAUSEATED. When something causes nausea, that thing is said to be NAUSEOUS.

So, next time you are tempted to say "I feel nauseous", understand that you are saying "I feel that I make other people sick", or basically "I feel nauseating".

Just sayin. :)

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Haha, Thanks.

I probably did make other people feel sick when they watched me eat tuna+cottage cheese+hot sauce, however. :D

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
this is what I call the matrix meal - looks like the same stuff they ate in the movie - "just your essential amino acids, carbs and protein" - I always tried to get people to try it but still not takers -

Tuna/egg noodle or whole wheat pasta/cream of shroom soup - is another decent throw together meal

deadlifter25

Awards
just to add to the matrix type meal...cottage cheese, salsa, a can of green beans, and oats popped in microwave. Looked like somebody had eatin it already but it was actually pretty good. And it wasnt bad after it got cold if you took it with you in a tupperware container.

tuna and cottage cheese....i think you can add these to a BUNCH of other things and it usually doesnt turn out TOO bad.

dsmlinc

dsmlinc

Awards
I get those tuna packs, small vacuum sealed back of seasoned tuna. The sweet and spicy one is really good. Put it on a toasted whole wheat soft bagel with a little whipped cream cheese... pretty damn good.

Another thing I tried lately is, huck a can in with some brown rice season with what ever you want , Italian seasoning, salsa what ever. Lay a bunch of cheese on top and put it in the microwave for a minute.... its a little tuna casserole...

I know these are really easy and you may have tried them... but after awhile your imagination for tuna delights kinda goes out the damn window.

dsmlinc

dsmlinc

Awards
oh yeah and tell me no one has put tuna in a blender and made a protien slurry right?!?!???

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
nice, quick, easy, and tasty:

one can starkist tuna+
one tablespoon miracle whip light+
two slices toasted whole grain bread=
one bomb-ass tuna sandwich

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
1st and foremost, if you're not eating ALBACORE tuna, you're out of your F*cking mind! That regular tuna is just lips and a$$holes ground up....horribly sickening.

Now, assuming you have your trusty Albacore tuna, you can simply mix it with honey mustard in a bowl and you're done. Most people probably want an actual recipe. I like BPs: mix the tuna w/chili sauce, cumin, & garlic sauce (I use the rolling comma BP ;) ). Add some cheese, slap on 1 side of the tortilla, dry-fry! I'm gonna try this today actually. Sounds good.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1st and foremost, if you're not eating ALBACORE tuna, you're out of your F*cking mind! That regular tuna is just lips and a$$holes ground up....horribly sickening.
1)Chunk Lite is a lot less expensive and (surprisingly) less toxic.
2) I am out of my mind.

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
albacore tuna doesnt even taste better imo....in fact, i cant tell much of a difference between the two at all

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been taking 2 TBS of quicksilver every day for about a year now. I still haven't gotten any magical powers...........but some day

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
albacore tuna doesnt even taste better imo....in fact, i cant tell much of a difference between the two at all
You can't taste a difference? I can tell big time. Even the texture is very different. I'll never eat regular tuna again. Albacore all the way. I can eat that straight from the can no problem. The other stuff is just wretched.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can't taste a difference? I can tell big time. Even the texture is very different. I'll never eat regular tuna again. Albacore all the way. I can eat that straight from the can no problem. The other stuff is just wretched.
That's kinda funny because I'm the exact opposite: solid white ablacore is too dry for me. To each his own, I guess.

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
haha well, i have never tried to eat either one of them straight out of the can. i always mix with 1 tbsp of miracle whip light and put on 2 pieces of whole grain bread.....i might be able to taste a difference if i tried them both right outta the can with nothing added to either.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know, it may be because I've been on a diet for a little over a month now, but spicy brown mustard + Louisiana hot sauce has been keeping me somewhat sane.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Last couple days I have been mixing a can with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, pepper, cumin, garlic and some habenero sauce (Aristi). Delicious

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Tuna, avocado, mayo, -- mash and mix, then add in some chickpeas, and tomato if you want, darn good.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
huh??? i just drain it by sqeezing down the cut top till i cant get anymore juice out and then eat it right out the can.... YUM! all the other stuff actually makes me sick... cant have nothing but plain dry chunk.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Last couple days I have been mixing a can with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, pepper, cumin, garlic and some habenero sauce (Aristi). Delicious
That is good. I did something similar.. one part tuna, one part cottage cheese, pepper, light mayo (or ranch), whizzed it in the magic mixer with some water, and added some guar gum to thicken it up. Good stuff with crunchy veggies... (or crackers :eek::) )

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
oh yeah and tell me no one has put tuna in a blender and made a protien slurry right?!?!???
well I'm guilty of this. I've made two different "tuna shakes" One of them, i got out ALR's Chemical Muscle Enhancement. It was....

3 servings tuna (one bigass packet)
1 can diet coke
1 scoop Chocolate protein powder
BLEND UP AND ENJOY.

probably one of the more disgusting things.... EVER

and the one that is big to make at my gym, that isnt quite as bad....

3 servings tuna
3 cups Lemonade Crystal light

For some reason, its like a lemon fish drink!
oh the things we do to be huge. - HTTC

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
well I'm guilty of this. I've made two different "tuna shakes" One of them, i got out ALR's Chemical Muscle Enhancement. It was....

3 servings tuna (one bigass packet)
1 can diet coke
1 scoop Chocolate protein powder
BLEND UP AND ENJOY.

probably one of the more disgusting things.... EVER

and the one that is big to make at my gym, that isnt quite as bad....

3 servings tuna
3 cups Lemonade Crystal light

For some reason, its like a lemon fish drink!
oh the things we do to be huge. - HTTC
Im not sure if i got this right....you drink tuna?

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
i threw it in the blender, frothed that **** up, and drank it. Its fvkcing gross. dont do it.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that kills me about canned tuna products is that they contain an absorbitent of sodium, and the mercury issue is questionable.

With that being said tuna is a very solid lean protein which is hard to beat for the price.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The only thing that kills me about canned tuna products is that they contain an absorbitent of sodium, and the mercury issue is questionable.

What is absorbitent?

Do you mean exorbitant, as in excessive or too much? Or is it something that absorbs sodium chloride?

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
I get the BumbleBee Chunk Chunk Albacore Tuna...

There is a "Low Sodium" version that i eat. It only has 35 mg of sodium as compared to 250 mg per serving!!!! (thats a HUGE difference!)

Also... when it comes to "seeing results".. staying lower sodium helps... you won't be as bloated. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Lower Sodium Abacore Tuna.

Publix carries them.. but its hard to find and they don't stock a whole bunch of it.... I usually clear them out when i go in there...

In regards to recipies....

I tried it the other day with 1 tbs of mayo.... a little pepper... and i heated up some red kidney beans (lower carbs and sodium than other beans...)... put it together and voila!

It was a good changeup... Also adds some good complex carbs AND those precious cals...

If not like that.. i just add a little honeymustard and have a glass of water standing by to help "get it down"...

With that being said tuna is a very solid lean protein which is hard to beat for the price.

angelo212

Awards
  • Established

There is not alot of sodium in tuna. You should try some hard boiled eggs mixed in with your tuna. It's great.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I like to mix my tuna with whatever spices I have on hand and a couple of egg whites. Mix it up real good, make a patty and fry it up with some pam. Love my tuna burgers.

Ronnie

Ronnie

Awards
  • Established
Pita bread, tuna chunk light, light mayo, salt and pepper, and feta cheese FTW!

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I've tried just about everything with Tuna. I also prefer the taste of chunk light over albacore. Can't stand the taste of albacore for some reason.

I've made several tuna salad recipes, sandwiches, tuna patties w/ oats & eggs, mixed it in low fat Hormel Turkey Chili, microwaved it with beans & spices, made tuna casserole w/ mushroom soup & pasta, mixed it into a variety of other easy pasta dishes like Mac N cheese & Lipton pasta mixes (just leave out most or all of the butter or oil). All of them were turned out ok. BTW if it tastes too fishy for you, you can either boil it for a few seconds or strain very hot water through it, gets rid of much of it.

The conclusion I've come to is that it's too hard to make it really enjoyable. The best tuna salad & tuna pasta recipes are too time consuming or add too much fat to the meal. All the other recipes seemed to help cover up the tuna taste, but ruin the taste of what otherwise would've been an enjoyable meal. You wanna know what I do now? I eat it right out of the can. Just dump on whatever spices you feel like trying & a little olive oil, or some salsa or hot sauce, or one of your favorite salad dressings, or even some BBQ sauce. 1 can is really very small, it just takes about 5 or 6 big bites and it's gone. Then I'm left to enjoy whatever other tastey carb/fat filled meal is left for me. The last resort is to use the same spices/dressing, but wrap a low fat torilla around it and gobble it down. For some reason I can eat just about anything if it's wrapped in a tortilla.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
1 can Albacore solid white +
1 cup brown rice +
1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil +
1/4 onion +
1 clove garlic +
1/2 tbsp soy sauce +
2 egg whites +
1 wok =

Some badass, low-fat, tuna fried rice... mmmmm

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
1 can tuna, 10oz apple juice, a little ice, blend and enjoy. I'm picky, and that is actually not that bad. Don't get me wrong, you must concentrate while downing this concoction.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1 can tuna, 10oz apple juice, a little ice, blend and enjoy. I'm picky, and that is actually not that bad. Don't get me wrong, you must concentrate while downing this concoction.
So enjoy is a loose term, huh?

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally keep my tuna nice and simple, I throw some Newmans Low Fat Sesame Ginger on my tuna, stir it up and chow down. Great low cal protein filled snack or late night meal. Tastes great and is quick to make