shredded chicken snack - low carb

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
buy the can's of shredded chicken at sam's club. take one can, 2 tbsp of light hidden valley ranch and season with lots of black pepper to taste. The pepper is really what makes it good.

I have been doing this for the past few days and it is a low carb meal/snack I actually look forward to. I split a can into 2 meals which makes for 30g protein and < 2 gram carbs. I like it because it is tasty, relatively cheap, and simple.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sounds tasty but I'd be willing to bet it's got a good amount of sodium in it.

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
Sounds tasty but I'd be willing to bet it's got a good amount of sodium in it.
what exactly is wrong with sodium? dehydrated you? if this is the only problem, does it really matter if your drinking over a gallon of water a day?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what exactly is wrong with sodium? dehydrated you? if this is the only problem, does it really matter if your drinking over a gallon of water a day?
There's actually nothing wrong at all with sodium, as long as you don't have preexisting hypertension problems. I see by the date that I was in my last few days of contest prep when I wrote that, and sodium and retaining water were most definitely on my mind at the time. As long as you don't completely overdo it, sodium can actually be very helpful in your diet.

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
There's actually nothing wrong at all with sodium, as long as you don't have preexisting hypertension problems. I see by the date that I was in my last few days of contest prep when I wrote that, and sodium and retaining water were most definitely on my mind at the time. As long as you don't completely overdo it, sodium can actually be very helpful in your diet.
so beef jerky, which contains a god awful amount of sodium, is actually very good for you? most people say the only problem with beef jerky is the amount of sodium.....

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That might be one of the cases where you're overdoing the sodium. For a reference of how sodium can be helpful, this is a quote from an article by nutritionist Chris Aceto on tips to build mass:

"3. Increase Sodium Intake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not kidding. Sodium is an essential mineral that is an absolute must for muscle growth. Sodium has a bad rap because it can cause water retention - anathema to contest ready bodybuilders. On the plus side, sodium enhances carbohydrate storage and amino acid absorption while also improving the muscle's responsiveness to insulin. "

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
thanks rpen that explains alot.....when on a cut, carb storage is the last thing you want....correct? and also, for me atleast, i never like water retention. do you happen to know how much sodium a person should take in per day? roughly?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks rpen that explains alot.....when on a cut, carb storage is the last thing you want....correct? and also, for me atleast, i never like water retention. do you happen to know how much sodium a person should take in per day? roughly?
Carb storage is always favorable, whether bulking or cutting. When he says carb storage, he is referring to intramuscular carb storage in the form of glycogen. I think it's hard to decided how high ones sodium intake should be because it is dependent on various factors such as activity levels, how much you sweat during exercise, how much water you drink, etc... The RDA of sodium for average Americans is around 1600mg, however athletes can need more than that for electrolyte balance, etc..