Xtra's Super cake (pancake) - $$ saver

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your like me, and you find yourself at NP with items in your shopping cart, ...again, then you might want to try out this breakfast of champions.
I have field tested this recipie with every female that I have woken up beside for the past 2 years. ALL have given 2 thumbs up! It's quick, easy, and cheap....... unlike the night before! :p

(see picture 2 for ingredient line up)
Ingredients: Cals Pro Carb Fat1/2 1/2 cup pancake mix - 210 / 6 / 40 / 2.5
1 scoop Gold standard whey - 110 / 24 / 2 / 1
1 egg - 70 / 6 / 1 / 4.5
1/2 cup skim milk - 45 / 4 / 5 / 0
-------------------
Total: 435 / 40 /47 / 8

(see picture 3 for the final result,.. or what's left of it :p )

Xtra's include:
No fat butter squeez
Kroger brand lite syrup

Just mix into bowl and cook!!

Cost for the month!!!
5lb pancake mix from Costco............$5 (see picture 1)
3 dozen eggs, costco......................$3
Flavored whey, NP(gold standard).....$23 (w/AM discount)
--------
Monthly TOTAL $31 (about $1 a day)

Kroger brand syrup = about $2.50 a week
no fat butter about $1.75 a week

Attachments

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it. Except you know for a fact the night before and the pancake share all the same attributes X...

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
nice recipe X! this is now my new PWO meal. i made my cake with buckwheat pancake mix though and substituted the whey protein with egg protein powder (i know whey isnt very heat stable, but does the denaturing protein even make any difference?).

im excited to experiment with this too! today im gonna add some cinnamon in there and tomorrow will be FF, unsweetened cocoa. this recipe seems very flexible although the original was delicious. thanks for sharing, karma to you:thumbsup:

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
nice recipe X! this is now my new PWO meal. i made my cake with buckwheat pancake mix though and substituted the whey protein with egg protein powder (i know whey isnt very heat stable, but does the denaturing protein even make any difference?).

im excited to experiment with this too! today im gonna add some cinnamon in there and tomorrow will be FF, unsweetened cocoa. this recipe seems very flexible although the original was delicious. thanks for sharing, karma to you:thumbsup:
always though denaturing just broke it down into smaller fractions,absorbs faster

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

You know, Ive WANTED to make it my PWO meal, but, As goos as it is (and now Im using strawbewrry protein mix :p) I guess after a year or so of having them for breakfast, I just can't bring myself to make them any other time

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
damn just made these and they are now a staple..thanx X

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, denaturing won't do anything to the quality of the whey, just the physical structure.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
this sounds like something i could afford being a college student... but uh.. making pancakes is actually a lotttttttt of work. I have to crack an egg and then cook something. damnit.

dingling

Awards
Are the eggs and milk part of the pancake mix directions? If they are, you could just go with the 'just add water' pancakes. Sounds like a good recipe. thanks.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Are the eggs and milk part of the pancake mix directions? If they are, you could just go with the 'just add water' pancakes. Sounds like a good recipe. thanks.
lol- there the Just add water type mix.
I started adding the egg in the mix to bump cals some.

oh- and I make these every morning, it translates into a scoop from the bag(mix), a scoop from the tub(whey), and grab an egg out of the fridge. -the mix and the whey are side by side, and a 1/2 cup scooper, I just leave in the bag.

Scooping takes like 10 seconds....
If you have the water running on hot while your scooping, mixing only takes about 15 seconds.

If this is too much work for breakfast for $1, then............
well,.. not sure.
But there great for breakfast, and post-W/O, the times when you can have a little pure sugar (if you use syrup)
Sometimes, when I run out of syrup, I just use jelly. And that you can grab (to further savings) at a cafateria, or McDonnalds in some cases..

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
bump these ..best healthy pancakes imo..economical ,easy and taste great use chocolate whey for variety

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
bump these ..best healthy pancakes imo..economical ,easy and taste great use chocolate whey for variety
im not sold on the costco pancake mix? Is it whole wheat, buckwheat, regular flour? Doesnt look as if the costco mix is "healthy" so to speak. Maybe i am missing something.

thanks

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
im not sold on the costco pancake mix? Is it whole wheat, buckwheat, regular flour? Doesnt look as if the costco mix is "healthy" so to speak. Maybe i am missing something.

thanks
Healthy? ...Is pancake mix- it's not buckwheat (although I do mix a box of the flax stuff in with the bag, it only cost's like $2.).

It's definately NOT UNHEALTHY, unless your sold on the idea that you just MUST have something flax, wheat or whatever.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
XF, I thought we were writing a book?