Pumpkin Oatmeal Porridge!

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I came up with this great recipe a little while ago, it is also very easy to change up amounts to suit your exact dietary needs:

1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin (No sugar added, just pumpkin)
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
1/2 Cup Oats
1 Cup Milk (Any kind)
2-3 Egg Whites, or a whole egg!
Splenda and pumpkin pie spice (or cin.)

Blend all of the ingredients together. You may need more milk, or you can add water. It should come out kind of thick: not runny, but very easily pourable, kind of like a thin pancake batter.

Either pour this batter into a stove-top pan and heat it up - it should become very thick, kind of like oatmeal.

OR

Put it in a microwave safe bowl and nuke it for 3-4 minutes. Stir it, and nuke it again. It should come out nice and thick.

Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Awesome stuff!

tomall2

Awards
That actually sounds good enough to try! :food:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I'll report back after I do. Thanks for the post.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I'll report back after I do. Thanks for the post.

Well you better make enough for everybody, Remember what your Mommy said! SHARE!!!!!!!! :D Pictures are a big plus too :)

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm, I never thought to take pictures of any of the stuff that I have made from AM recipes. I'll probably remember after the fact anyway...no need for those pix.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established

You guys will love this stuff. I suggest drizzling sugar free maple syrup on it. Absolute heaven.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't get to try this over the weekend as planned, but it's still on my list of things to do.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I didn't get to try this over the weekend as planned, but it's still on my list of things to do.
I hope it treats you well...

I'm really craving this now, but I don't have the means to make it here at college. I guess I will have to wait until Christmas time....Cry.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
You mentioned adding splenda and pumpkin pie spice. How much of each are we talking, so we get the sweetness right on target?

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established

It really is a personal thing...I load on the pumpkin pie spice (or Cin. if that is all you have). As for splenda, just add it until it is to your liking. I generally don't put too much, because when I drizzle it with sugar free syrup, it sweetens it up for me.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
dang this sounds good. i like pumpkin and i like oats so i might just have too try this out

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still haven't tried this, but I promise I will. I keep forgetting to add the ingredients to my list :trout:

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I still haven't tried this, but I promise I will. I keep forgetting to add the ingredients to my list :trout:
I am anticipating your review...

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I'm making this tonight for sure, so I'll post a pic of it and give a review. I'm gonna double up on everything so I have a lot of it in case it turns out as well as i think it will.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I'm now enjoying a VERY tasty bowl of this stuff! I experimented a little since I didn't really know how much pie spice or splenda would be ideal.

I started w/ 3 tablespoons each, but couldn't taste test it before cooking, as there was a raw egg in the mix. Anyway, I doubled everything to make a double batch.

The 3 tbsp. of pie spice was a little bit much spice, so I tweaked it after tasting it out of the 3 mins in the microwave. I decided to add 2 and then a 3rd tbsp of splenda to sweeten it up a bit and balance out the spice.

I cooked it for a total of 7 mins total, to bring it to a thicker consistency. I still think the balance of flavor is a little more pie spice than it should be, ideally...but it's still very, very good. You'd never think this was healthy.

What I'll do in the future is continue to make double batches to save time, but will try 3 splenda and 1 pie spice. i just made another sample bowl and drizled pure maple syrup on it...didn't have any sugar free on hand. It was also very good, although the maple was overpowered by the pumpkin.

In conclusion, I would definately recommend trying this. it's very easy to make and tates awesome. I'll prob cook it a little less next time and then throw it in a sealed container in the fridge overming. Then take it to work in an indiv. container and take it to work for a what will seem like a cheat meal...about 30 or 40 mins after my morning whey shake. I'll be in a great mood in the mornings now...lol.

I just need to figure out the macro breakdown per cup of finished product, for calorie/macro counting. Then I'll know exactly what I'm getting per serving. Honestly, I think you could get away w/ adding more oats to the mix and you couldn't even tell the difference. maybe someone else can try that out and report the results. I took a pic but can't get it on here. Feel free to PM me if you want a pic and I can just email it.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I'm now enjoying a VERY tasty bowl of this stuff! I experimented a little since I didn't really know how much pie spice or splenda would be ideal.

I started w/ 3 tablespoons each, but couldn't taste test it before cooking, as there was a raw egg in the mix. Anyway, I doubled everything to make a double batch.

The 3 tbsp. of pie spice was a little bit much spice, so I tweaked it after tasting it out of the 3 mins in the microwave. I decided to add 2 and then a 3rd tbsp of splenda to sweeten it up a bit and balance out the spice.

I cooked it for a total of 7 mins total, to bring it to a thicker consistency. I still think the balance of flavor is a little more pie spice than it should be, ideally...but it's still very, very good. You'd never think this was healthy.

What I'll do in the future is continue to make double batches to save time, but will try 3 splenda and 1 pie spice. i just made another sample bowl and drizled pure maple syrup on it...didn't have any sugar free on hand. It was also very good, although the maple was overpowered by the pumpkin.

In conclusion, I would definately recommend trying this. it's very easy to make and tates awesome. I'll prob cook it a little less next time and then throw it in a sealed container in the fridge overming. Then take it to work in an indiv. container and take it to work for a what will seem like a cheat meal...about 30 or 40 mins after my morning whey shake. I'll be in a great mood in the mornings now...lol.

I just need to figure out the macro breakdown per cup of finished product, for calorie/macro counting. Then I'll know exactly what I'm getting per serving. Honestly, I think you could get away w/ adding more oats to the mix and you couldn't even tell the difference. maybe someone else can try that out and report the results. I took a pic but can't get it on here. Feel free to PM me if you want a pic and I can just email it.

Sweet, thanks for trying it.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
What happened to those of you that were dying to try out this recipe? I can't believe I'm the only one that actually made the effort.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I decided to check out the macro and cal. content for this for my own benefit, but thought I'd go ahead and share it for those that are interested. I decided it could use an additional 1/4 cup of oats and one more whole egg, to beef up the nutritional profile and make it a bit thicker, while still retaining the taste.

These numbers include that adjustment. A full servingis about a bowl full, but is the entire recipe, just to be clear.

Cals - 575

Pro - 41

Carb - 67 (pretty much all slow burning between the pumpkin and oats.)

Fat - 15.5 (most is unsaturated, since I'm using omega eggs) I thought about maybe adding some flax oil, but don't want to ruin the taste, so I decided against it.

Fiber - 11

Seems to be a very solid and satisfying meal, to me. Hope this post helped some of you out