Curried vegetable couscous

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Curried vegetable couscous

Dietitian's tip: With its colorful vegetables and fresh herbs, this quick and healthy couscous is as attractive as it is delicious. Serve it as a side dish to dress up grilled fish or roasted chicken.

SERVES 6

Ingredients

4-inch piece celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
4-inch piece carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/3-inch piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch in diameter, peeled and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) couscous
2 cups vegetable stock or broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)

Directions

In a food processor, combine the celery, carrot, onion, bell pepper, ginger and garlic. Pulse until the vegetables are very finely minced. Don't puree. Set aside.

In a large nonstick saute or frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced vegetables and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the curry powder and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.

Add the couscous and stock and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to very low and cover the pan. After 5 minutes, remove from the heat.

Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Add the salt and cilantro and toss to mix. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis
(per serving)
Calories 189
Monounsaturated fat 2 g
Protein 6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 35 g
Sodium 203 mg
Total fat 3 g
Fiber 6 g
Saturated fat < 1 g

stxnas

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This sounds really good. Couscous is a relatively new food for me. I'm going to try this over the weekend.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
This dish has a nice nutritional variety. I'm always suspicious of couscous when looking at it but pleasantly surprised when I eat it.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I have never ate couscous unless it is a slop looking oatmeal in that case I eat it all the time lol. It sounds delicious tho' !!

stxnas

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So I went to Wal-Mart and purchased all of the ingredients for this and couldn't find any couscous...I ended up buying some from Publix later, but hopefully I can try this tonight.

stxnas

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Finally tried this and it was very good. For those that don't have a food processor you can throw everything in a blender with some water and pulse a few times...then drain and there you go.

I had it with chxn and it was great!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Finally tried this and it was very good. For those that don't have a food processor you can throw everything in a blender with some water and pulse a few times...then drain and there you go.

I had it with chxn and it was great!
Cool.