Banana Flaxseed Muffins

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I saw these macros in Fitday I got very excited. Two muffins and an 8oz glass of milk yields about a 40/40/20 split at about 290 cals! These turned out great and will definitely be added to my arsenal. Here's the recipe.

Banana Flaxseed Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup flax seed - ground it via coffee bean grinder or buy it from Walmart this way.
3 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil )
1/2 cup splenda
2 egg whites
1-1/2 cups protein powder (I used unflavored from AnnabolicInnovations)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I didn't have any so I didn't use it)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup whole flax seeds

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350-degrees and lightly grease your muffin pan (I used Pam and it worked very well).

In a large mixing bowl, beat together bananas, oil, Splenda and egg whites.

In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean (this might vary b/c my oven runs hot).

Recipe makes 12 muffins.

Each muffin contains ~ 3.5g fat/10 carbs (2.5g fiber)/10g protein = 105 cals

Other options would be to add raisins, dates, walnuts, oats, use oat-flour instead of protein, etc.

Last edited:
CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
WOW that looks DELICIOUS! I am VERY hungry now.

Where did you get the unflavored protein powder?

CROWLER

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WOW that looks DELICIOUS! I am VERY hungry now.

Where did you get the unflavored protein powder?

CROWLER
LOL. Yes Crowler, the unflavored protein was the Plain Jane that I bought from Annabolic Innovations. The original recipe actually called for 1.5 cups of flour. I was feeling adventurous and substituted the Plain Jane for the flour and the muffins came out great. I let somebody at work try one and she loved it!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
LOL. Yes Crowler, the unflavored protein was the Plain Jane that I bought from Annabolic Innovations. The original recipe actually called for 1.5 cups of flour. I was feeling adventurous and substituted the Plain Jane for the flour and the muffins came out great. I let somebody at work try one and she loved it!

Oh REALLY????

Yes I do see now you mentioned you got the protein for that WONDERFUL receipe from Anabolic Innovations - Home of the 19 different protein powder flavors INCLUDING Peanut Butter and Peanut Butter/Chocolate

Ok I really did know where he got it but I have all the orders shipped out for today, I am relaxing with some diet soda and I wanted to do some pimping. :)

CROWLER

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In case anybody is interested...After making these twice they I have come to the conclusion that they definitely taste better about 24-48 hours after making them. My coworker made these and used vanilla protein and she said that those turned out great as well.

D

dingling

Awards
Great recipe, gotta try it out. I'm going to try enova in place of the veg oil, even though it probably wont taste quite as good.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It probably won't make much of a difference honestly. You might want to add a some vanilla extract as well...my coworker added it to hers.

G

It probably won't make much of a difference honestly. You might want to add a some vanilla extract as well...my coworker added it to hers.
Use coconut oil it's perfect for baking.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you taste it? Hell, even if you could I think it would be great in this recipe. Thanks for the idea.

D

dingling

Awards
Mine turned out really good with the Enova. BTW I used vanilla whey.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mine turned out really good with the Enova. BTW I used vanilla whey.
:head: Cool, thanks for the feedback. So far all three people that have tried this liked it.

J

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
cool, I am going to make these tonight. These will be almost as good as a cheat.

12gauge

Awards
just tried recipe

i just tried this recipe & it is friggin awesome. I wouldnt know i was eating something healthy. Only thing i did different was use 1/2 the protein & substitue the other half with oat flour because i just bought the oat flour & was dying to try it.

i used a banana protein sample from AI, not sure if they still sell that anymore.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback. I'm constantly trying to come up with new recipes for this section, but this is one of the few that have actually turned out to be good (or great in this case!).

12gauge

Awards
I also used olive oil instead of vegetable oil, just because i thought it was better for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm constantly trying to come up with new recipes for this section, but this is one of the few that have actually turned out to be good (or great in this case!).

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I more than likely did too as that is all I pretty much use. The recipe started off as a regular banana muffin recipe and then I made some adjustments. I use OO for everything.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Printing recipe, handing it over to wife. Ahh marriage...
Not to say that I don't cook it up too, but she'll bake anything in a pinch. I make the Buffallo burgers. Do we have any on here? If not I brew one up. Can't wait to inhale these.

J

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
These are amazingly good!! I think we often call things "good" that are marginal at best LOL.....these are an exception.....they truly taste great. I made my per the recipe above but I did use olive oil and I used pineapple whey as I happened to have a bunch around. Daughter was over and she loved them to. I think tomorrow I am going to play wiht this recipe a bit by subbing pumpkin for teh banana and use vanilla whey and pumpkin pie spice.

BradCowin

BradCowin

Awards
Just made this with ON Rocky Road whey. Simply awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Just made a batch. I used ATW's pineapple protien powder. Man they are good!! Pineapple banana. YUM!

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumping because these are delicious. It wouldn't hurt to have these around when everybody else is eating all those forbidden pies and other wonderful sweet treats that are sure to be around for the holidays.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
wow made these yesterday and took them to work last night..def have a winner here.i used unflavored wpi going to try some choc tomorrow night

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sort of...it's milled flax seed (ground up)...I think it's in the section with all of the baking stuff, like yeast and corn meal and all the different types of flours.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just made this, but I also checked the macros and I got
145 Cal per muffin.
8g Fat, 11g Carbs 3g Fibre, 5g Sugars, 9g Protein.

I think the difference is in the fat content... I'm not sure how your olive oil is so low cal!

Anyways as far as taste goes, I think I'll wait a day or two and see if the tasta improves. The batter tasted fantastic, but cooked and warm it was meh at best. Hopefully it just takes some time for the flavours to settle in :)

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's been over a year since I posted this, but I think I threw all the ingredients into fitday. At a quick glance though it does appear that there's more fat than I have listed, but at least it's all from healthy sources.

Sorry about that...and they definitely taste better the next day, especially with some skim milk. It's not meant to be a meal or anything obviously, but a nice treat that won't break your macros.

I hope you guys enjoy them.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's been over a year since I posted this, but I think I threw all the ingredients into fitday. At a quick glance though it does appear that there's more fat than I have listed, but at least it's all from healthy sources.

Sorry about that...and they definitely taste better the next day, especially with some skim milk. It's not meant to be a meal or anything obviously, but a nice treat that won't break your macros.

I hope you guys enjoy them.
Thanks for the recipe man :) And yea I got 11 left now in the fridge just waiting for me, can't wait to try them today because the batter was PHENOMENAL lol. After I had the first warm one I was thinking why couldn't I have just ate the batter :)

They actually cooked quite well, and I had to laugh when they looked the same as my housemates when she made a batch after I inspired her, except her's were all white flour and butter :run: Can't wait to try a few other muffin combo's, these have inspirsed me to try some other variations.

And no worries about the macros, I was just wondering if I did something wrong. But yea it's all good fats so no problem there.

typeOnegative

typeOnegative

Awards
looks like an awesome recipe... definitely gonna try it... thanks

M

matts

Awards
looks tasty, i'll have to try this out in the new years!

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:head: I hope you guys like them...and like a few others have mentioned, they definitely taste better a day or two later.