- 06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Gently cooking asparagus in the microwave makes this soup a fast meal.
2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, toasted
8 cups reduced-sodium defatted chicken broth
1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and ground black pepper
Cut the tips from the asparagus and chop them into 1" (2.5-cm) pieces; reserve the stalks. Place the tips in a microwave-safe bowl and add the water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high power for a total of 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender; stop and stir after 1 minute. Plunge the asparagus into a bowl of cold water, drain, and lightly pat dry.
Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and leeks; cook for 4 minutes, or until softened. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1" (2.5-cm) pieces and add to the saucepan; cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour, stirring to coat the vegetables; cook for 2 minutes.
Add the broth and cook for 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender. Working in batches if necessary, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree. Return the soup to the saucepan. Whisk in the sour cream. Stir in the tarragon and the reserved asparagus tips. Season with the salt and pepper. Rewarm over low heat.
Calories: 96 calories
Carbs: 10 g
Sodium: 189 mg
Fat: 2 g
Protein: 9 g
Fiber: 2 mg
Similar Forum Threads
- By yeahright in forum RecipesReplies: 0Last Post: 05-31-2006, 01:44 AM
- By massmonster in forum RecipesReplies: 9Last Post: 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
- By BigVrunga in forum Weight LossReplies: 11Last Post: 11-01-2005, 05:11 AM
- By TheCrownedOne in forum Weight LossReplies: 5Last Post: 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
- By Kaliman91 in forum General ChatReplies: 1Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:49 PM