Metabolic Salsa

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Eat Like a Mens Health Cover Model: Make Metabolic Salsa
This healthy snack speeds up metabolism

By: Gregg Avedon

Football season is a great chance to make a healthy change in a habit all guys have--pigging out during the game. For years, I've been serving my "metabolic salsa"--a fresh, low-sodium, low-fat food loaded with hot peppers that is guaranteed to raise your metabolism. A higher metabolic rate means more calories burned, and more calories burned means greater fat loss.

Just as important is what you're dipping into the salsa. If you must have tortilla chips, make sure they're baked. But I prefer crackers. Many grocery stores carry the Health Valley brand, which I like. They taste great, are made with organic flour, and contain no hydrogenated oils. Plus, they're lower in fat than most crackers.

This salsa is easy to make in a food processor, but don't puree it--you want it to look as if it was chopped up with a knife (which is how I do it--more calorie burning!).

The hotter you want your salsa, the more seeds from the peppers should be kept in. If you like it mild, remove the seeds before dicing. This recipe yields a big batch, but don't worry--the leftovers taste better the longer they sit.

Dice up all the ingredients with a knife or food processor:

* 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
* 4 hearts of celery stalks, diced
* 1/2 Vidalia onion or 1 small yellow onion, diced very small
* 1/2 sweet yellow pepper, seeded and diced
* Bundle of minced cilantro
* 1/2 c key lime juice
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* A little fresh-ground black pepper
* 4 jalapeno peppers, diced very small (see above about seeding your peppers)
* 4 or 5 various peppers, diced very small

For an extra treat, add 1 cup of diced mango. Its sweetness balances the spices and will have everyone asking, "What is that?"

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
that sounds nice... I'm printing this and making it this wknd... thanks bro

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I expected cayenne to be in the mixture. Since, it works for metabolic enhancement.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to make some this weekend. It'll be hot, very hot. With cayenne.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I will put this on egg whites for breakfast, maybe it will help me wake up :rofl:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Mango salsa is damn good. Goes well over almost any kind of fish too.