Chinese Fried Rice

VitaminT

Awards
I'm guessing its better called American version of Chinese Fried Rice. Not really sure it is very authentic. Anyhow, rice is fairly healthy and whatnot and goes with chicken and pork quite nicely. So here goes:

* Rice
* 1 Box of Frozen Veggies
* Egg(s)
* Soy Sauce (Low Sodium)
* Seasame Oil
* Olive Oil

Way optional:

* Butter. (If you really just don't care)

Some notes first. The rice I use is Jasmine, but you can use whatever you like. I beleive brown rice has the most protein content. Also, I like to use low-sodium Soy Sauce, but I noticed that it didn't taste quite right without adding a little salt when I was eventually done. So keep this in mind. Also, I did cheat by using a little butter, but you can simply use olive oil. I'd recommend you use a yellowy cooking olive oil and not EVOO.

Cook up however much rice you want. If you cook on a stove, bring the water to a boil first, then add the rice, bring it back to a boil, and then let it simmer for about twenty minutes.

While you are cooking up the rice, you can start with the veggies and eggs. Add some olive oil to a non-stick (preferably) pan. Add some seasame oil as well. I just eyed how much of the veggies to use. Frankly I didn't use more than a quarter of the box. Anyhow, add the veggies to the oils and to that add the eggs. I just used one, but you can use more, or only the whites, etc. Its up to you. It will taste good regardless. The eggs will scramble nicely at low-medium heat. Don't bother trying to do this on high heat. Bad idea. You can turn it off and wait until the rice is done cooking.

When the rice is done cooking, turn the heat up in the non-stick pan to medium and add the rice. Also add some move olive oil and seasame oil. Also add some Soy Sauce. If you want to cheat you can subsitute some butter instead of the olive oil at this point, but a little butter will go a long way. You are going to want to constantly stir the mixture at this point, and you should start hearing a hissing sound from the oil frying the rice. You will also find that you will want to add more seasame oil and Soy Sauce. The key here will be to taste the rice as you fry it to determine when you are happy with the flavor.

You can add cooked chicken and or pork at this point. If you want to do this, you could pan fry them in olive oil and seasame oil and set aside before starting the rice. Its also a tasty side dish as rice goes with pretty much anything.