An Experiment: Protein Ice Cream

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't know, if this is going to work, but I'mtrying to make a high protein ice cream. It is in my freezer right now. I used:
1 container of Friendship (No Salt) CC=64g protein, 16g carbs, 4g fat
1 cup Skim Milk=8g protein, 13g carbs
1 cup Egg Whites=24g protein
1cup Oatmeal= 54g carbs (8g fiber), 10g protein, 5g fat
1/2 cup Almonds=30g fat...
1 TBSP EVOO: 15g fat
2TBSP Smuckers Sugar Free Caramel Syrup (24g carbs)
2TBSP Smuckers Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (24g carbs)
4TBSP Splenda
Totals: 106g protein; 131g carbs; 54g fat
The Smuckers Sugar-Free contains about 10g of Malto :( and 14g of glycerol. Glycerol is a carb, and has calories, but it does not effect blood sugar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerin#Foods_and_beverages )

We'll see!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, you can manipulate fat and carbs quite a bit. You can eliminate the oatmeal or reduce it; same is true for almonds and EVOO.

Sooty

Banned
Awards
Gosh that sounds yummy. But I think i'll stick with pudding, my parents would probably get suspicious of my motives if I ate too much ice cream on my clean diet!

VitaminT

Awards
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but unless you have experience making ice cream... this might be really gross...

Best of luck though :D

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Ok...your lack of update means either:

1. It was a total disaster and you would just rather leave the whole fiasco behind you.:run:

2. It tastes like frozen sex and you cant seem to pull yourself away from it long enough to type.:woohoo:

Mmmmmm.....Ice cream

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
2. It tastes like frozen sex and you cant seem to pull yourself away from it long

Mmmmmm.....Ice cream
BINGO!!!

It actually did come out really good :food:

The consistency was almost a bit more like a slushy at first, but it got better as it melted. I'm thinking next time Imight just drop the milk because I'm guessing that is where some of the water came from that made it a bit slushy.

I nuked mine, but in the future I'll probably just pull it out 30-60 min. before eating it.

I honestly did not think it would come out this good first time around.

Definitely try it!

DarkAnimal73

DarkAnimal73

Awards
to get a creamier ice cream texture...try cottage cheese instead of milk, get the large curd kind and blend it before you use it

I use this in my protein snowstorm ,its like a Blizzard

tattoopierced1

wonder if you could mix this up in one of those old fashion ice cream makers to see if you get the ice cream consistancy out of it... anyone have one and care to try?

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
So did you just throw all that **** in a blender, pour it into a bowl and freeze it? LOL there's no prep instructions.

I'll have to test my own variations on this one, it sounds great :thumbsup:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Bump on the ice cream maker. To get the right consistancy you need to churn the mixture while excellerating the freezing process, thus the ice and rock salt. I think :think:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
So did you just throw all that **** in a blender, pour it into a bowl and freeze it? LOL there's no prep instructions.

I'll have to test my own variations on this one, it sounds great :thumbsup:
That is all I did. There was no preparation. I like my ice cream a little bit melted, so I heat it up when I take it out of the freezer. The immediate consistency is lacking. But once it starts to melt, it is pretty close to regular ice cream. I have so little free time that it wouldn't be worth it to me to complicate the recipe further, but by all means, be my guest...and report back.

Best part is, you can tweak the macros to suit your needs. You can make it fairly low in carbs, or fat, etc. My palate may be irreparably biased from a few years of clean eating, but I really think this stuff tastes almost as good as real ice cream.

adpanther

Awards
Notes on Ice cream making

The reason that your ice cream was slush cream is ice crystals. When you make ice cream you have to aggitate it to form small ice crystals. That is how you end up with a smooth mouth feel. If you don't want to purchase an ice cream maker do this. First of all place all of your liquid ingredients in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. The colder it is without freezing the better. while you are waiting for that to get cold blend your dry ingredients to the consistency you desire. you will need a sturdy garbage bag, a 1 gallon ziploc freezer bag and a ziploc sandwich bag. place your liquid ingredients into the sandwich bag and seal. place that into the gallon bag fill with ice and a healthy amount of course salt ( rock salt course ground sea or kosher salt will work) seal it. then put that inside the garbage bag and tie that up. Shake the bag for about 10-15 minutes remove your sandwich bag and place into a tupperware container (the mixture will not be hard yet ) stir in your dry ingredients until combined place a sheet of cling wrap directly on the ice cream. Put the lid on the tupperware and stick it in the freezer for at least 3 hours.:blink: It is a lot of work but it will be worth it.